• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I updated the Enhanced Steam Extra Life page

And, based on feedback, also updated the design of this year's profile badge.

zUv04AL.png

There are currently 8 great games in the giveaway prize pool (which I'll be giving out live during the stream this year) including Doom, Dark Souls III, Dragon's Dogma, and more. I'm in talks with a few other sponsors to hopefully get some more added to the pool soon!

The badge and giveaway raffle entries are live now so please don't be shy with your donations

kevin1025

Banned
Real LTTP but KOTOR 2 on Steam really impresses me

Official Restored Content Mod support blows my mind.

Any word if they are going to update KOTOR 1?

I've been playing the updated version of KOTOR II recently, as well, and it holds up very well! Adding the workshop is some good stuff.

What do you write to them? Personally, when I want a refund, I say that I am unhappy with the game, that I gave a thumbs-down on Steam reviews, and this is it. I could see them refuse the refund if you are asking for support.

Nah, I explained my issues with the games in the little notes sections.

They didn't do shit.

Hurricane took out the power, probably for a good while. Just recently got random cell reception.

Play backlog for me, Steam ladies and gents!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Humble Monthly is still shit. Ozium just scammed some poor soul.

12€ for Soma, Epistory, Sheltered, Banner Saga and WWE2K16 is hardly shit. In fact, its the opposite.

Ozium scamming folk tho :3

Ibuki

Banned
12€ for Soma, Epistory, Sheltered, Banner Saga and WWE2K16 is hardly shit. In fact, its the opposite.

Ozium scamming folk tho :3

I'm shocked you took any of that post seriously, but in my opinion it was a disappointment. I already own two of the games and the rest I'm not interested in (aside from SOMA).

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Damage Control -- MB-3572C134EE65421A - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Poof -- MB-19A56D14607C73E2 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 1 entrants total.
Redactem -- MB-957F41FFF46A9387 - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.
Trouble In The Manor -- MB-29EA5780BF8E1B2C - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Space Quest Collection -- MB-04AF5A51D0A8A309 - Taken by gurm3n. 8 entrants total.
Superstatic -- MB-4217C452E2E6478F - Taken by voodooray. 3 entrants total.
Evertown -- MB-7AF6269FA20B24C8 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Hexcells Complete Pack -- MB-5F12D0FB7DB05C5F - Taken by Natty1. 5 entrants total.

t1472869773z1.png

im jealous that ozzy got redout for banner saga. Just googled the game and it looks awesome, been wanting to play a new wipeout for quite some time now.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga -- MB-F21E76B53496C23D - Taken by Natty1. 12 entrants total.

t1472865940z1.png

Steam! Stop giving me Feist coupons.

You cannot lure me away from CK2 now.

Dang, didn't realise/glossed over that Content Restored was prepped for launch day. What a smart move.

I guess this means installation is one-click in the workshop now? 'Cause that's the best.

Teggy

Dammit, the thing that had me stuck on Obduction was something clickable that was right in front of my face a number of times, but the arrows on the screen made it confusing. And I had to look it up to realize it. I hate that.

Tellaerin

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition with 8 new levels and new voiceovers. 20 bucks.

Definitely targeted at nostalgia buffs, but even then I don't think it's worth $20. Maybe $5, tops. Or something to distribute for free on the 20th anniversary to (try to) remind people that the property is still alive (?).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

What you need to know:
- Dev was part of the team that made ibb and obb!
- Like a real-time Worms with sprite-ish characters, voxel environments, and tons of varied objectives (some are like capture the flag type objectives, some are deathmatch, some are survival stages)
- Tons and tons of single player content
- Super fun
- Was published by THQ on XBLA. Got good reviews, but no PC port. Then THQ died
- Got picked up by Microsoft and promptly dumped into Windows Phone / App Store hell.
- Finally liberated and on a future-proof platform.

Highly recommend it!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Damage Control -- MB-3572C134EE65421A - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Poof -- MB-19A56D14607C73E2 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 1 entrants total.
Redactem -- MB-957F41FFF46A9387 - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.
Trouble In The Manor -- MB-29EA5780BF8E1B2C - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Space Quest Collection -- MB-04AF5A51D0A8A309 - Taken by gurm3n. 8 entrants total.
Superstatic -- MB-4217C452E2E6478F - Taken by voodooray. 3 entrants total.
Evertown -- MB-7AF6269FA20B24C8 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Hexcells Complete Pack -- MB-5F12D0FB7DB05C5F - Taken by Natty1. 5 entrants total.

t1472869773z1.png

kagamin

Best game right there friend, I haven't heard about any update to KOTOR 1 sadly, but at least we have the better game working on all computers now. :p

Grief.exe

KOTOR II and Titan Quest are pretty huge updates to classic games.

Any other examples of studios updating classic games for release?

KOTOR II and Titan Quest are pretty huge updates to classic games.

Any other examples of studios updating classic games for release?

If I remember correctly, Blizzard have also updated Diablo 2 a few months ago.

I really want KOTOR 1 restoration though. Currently the game is almost unplayable for me.

So the latest version of the Steam App for Windows Phone crashes each time I try to open it. Removing and reinstalling it seems to have fixed it, but now every time I try to log in it asks me for a security code, which I should find on my mobile authenticator... only I can't access it for obvious reasons. What the hell should I do now?

EDIT: I had to remove the authenticator using the recovery number I had and then add it again. Phew, for a moment I thought I had to contact the Steam Support. Now that would have been even more scary.

venomenon

Just 100%ed the Paint It Back achievements. I will now dream of squares and I think the music's gonna loop in my head forever.

And I still didn't touch the presidential election puzzles.

also isn't this just hexcells but with drawings instead
Hexcells is basically a mix of Minesweeper and nonograms. Or to put it differently, Paint It Back is like Hexcells without the Minesweeper component ;)

What's the general consensus on Republique ? I see its currently 50% off and as someone who is a fan of stealth games I've wanted to check it out for awhile

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the general consensus on Republique ? I see its currently 50% off and as someone who is a fan of stealth games I've wanted to check it out for awhile

I expect the developer will close within the next year. That doesn't give me joy to say, and it's not a judgment on the product's quality. But the market did not care at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Over the last few months, a number of long-running Kickstarter projects have lurched towards failure. It's a non-trivial number of projects. To the point that my attitude has shifted from "Failures of high profile projects are fairly rare" to "Failures of high profile projects are somewhat common although not guaranteed", and my backing attitude has shifted from "Just avoid stuff with really obvious red flags" to "I would recommend avoiding a wide variety of projects".

Basically, this is stuff that's been in dev for years, has generally updated during that time, and then just stopped. And it's the same bullshit every time: My Health, Making Games Are Hard, We Are Waiting Until It's Perfect, We Were Too Ambitious, Oh Four Years Ago When We Asked For Money We Had No Idea What We Were Making, We Don't Want To Update Until Progress Is Made So We Didn't Update At All, etc.

Here are some of the games that really fell off a cliff over the last little while, in order of funding date:

1. Drifter: Dev took basically a year off from actually producing anything. Recently after people started getting increasingly more disappointed there have been a few point releases, but it really seems like the dev took a year off. Drifter 0.6.2 came out September 2015, aiming to release a new version every week and a new major version every month. December 2015, Drifter 0.6.3 came out, with a report that 0.7 would be done in a few weeks, and there'd be major updates every 4 weeks, with 4 major updates left for 1.0. Drifter 0.6.4 came out 7 months later. There are frequent updates now, but they're all little incremental point updates. v0.7 is still just around the corner.
2. Hiveswap (Homestuck game). Literally years into the KS with no updates they announce they fired the team making it and were going to build it internally. Then a year later they were going to reboot their internal team. Then basically nothing.
3. Barkley 2. No updates for over six months, update today to say they've made procedurally generated borders. Almost 4 years since taking over $100,000, they expect they will have a vertical slice ready in a few months.
4. Limit Theory. Dev disappeared for 6 months, came back to say he had a bout of mental illness but was turning a corner, then disappeared again for about a year, then came back to say "okay, well, I was sick again, but I'm turning a corner. No updates for another year.
5. Godus. No updates for 6 months, reports team laid off. It's weird, because for years people were shitting on Godus and they were updating frequently and having good communication for a long time, despite being nowhere near done. But now it's dead.
6. Asylum. You might remember this developer KSing another project 2 years ago because Asylum was wrapping up. The rare backers-only updates seem to exemplify how they're still poking at a fairly early version of the game. They ran out of money and downsized. One backers only update over the summer.
7. Cryamore. Announced a partnership with Atlus to publish the game last fall, game to be published this summer. Last update: May 2016. Project took $250,000, main dev on Twitter saying negativity is getting to him and he no longer wants to participate in open development. Maybe should have thought about that before taking $250,000? A programmer makes around $75,000 a year--if I asked for a cash advance on three years of salary, got it, didn't do my job, and then got mad when the company asked what was happening, I'd expect the company would sue me. Radio silence from Atlus.
8. Jon Shafer's At The Gates - Jon updated regularly and was making great progress on his game for a long time. Then he took a very extended, 6+ month mental health break. It's not clear why this affected the game at all given he supposedly had a team, but I guess that's that. He then took another 6 months off because he broke some ribs. I get that recovering from an accident can be long and painful. The problem is that this is not supposed to be a one-person team and backers were not disclosed of the pre-existing medical condition. Should you have to tell people about your medical history to make a game? No, I don't think so. But if you are a sole proprietor and you sign a contract for $100,000, it's expected that a material risk that impacts your ability to work on an ongoing basis would be disclosed, at least in broad strokes. Apology update mid-August but limited actual progress in over a year.
9. Delver's Drop. No updates in 6 months, no past updates September 2014 to March 2015 and then apologies and woe is me updates about how hard game development is.
10. TUG. No updates since February, since they decided to take a year off to a) reboot the game technically and switch endings and b) totally change the game's business model. No communication from devs anywhere. You might remember these guys were the ones who promised to help developers who got robbed from that stupid fucking YouTube Minecraft clone that failed a few years ago because no one involved knew what they were doing.
11. C-Wars. No updates in March, no Steam patches, no posts on forums in response to multiple threads asking if the game is dead.
12. Megatokyo Visual Novel. The game's blog, actually a blog for the author of the game, gets an update every few weeks from either a fan or an employee to say what the author has done. Most of the time what he's done is "had a lot of work on his plate, working on lots of things, not much progress on the game, life is hard, family illness" stuff. Game seems to be in pre-pre-pre-pre alpha concept art stage, so look forward to it in 30 years.
13. Legend of Iya: May 2015: Dev posts he's run out of money and will launch a side project to make more. Dec 2015: Dev posts side project didn't work and he was on the brink of giving up but then Undertale gave him the determination to become an anime hero or some shit. April 2016: Dev in comments saying he's still working, but no KS update. *crickets*
14. Elysian Shadows. Although these developers have had time to make epic rants owning feminists over the last few years, they haven't had time to make a game people can play. Frequent updates of dudes in their pyjamas drinking beers in their makeshift office apartment gave way to an update late last year saying one of the 3 main guys was fired and took his work with him. Silence this year.
15. Last Life. Essentially no updates since 2014. The updates I've seen since then mostly apologize for not updating. The last public update was December 2015. There has been one update in 2016, backers only. Backers mostly angry. Last Life was supposedly being published by DoubleFine so I figured I'd see what's on the go with their side of things. I found a reddit post from last month asking if DoubleFine is still publishing the game. Checking Archive.org they took it off their website some time between October and November 2015 without any kind of communication on why they are no longer involved with the project.

These are all projects that took over $75,000 in money. These are not little starving artists getting paid $1,000 and not managing to get it together. These are people taking the equivalents of a year or more of full-time professional salary. It's stressful owing people money, and that's a lesson as to why you don't take hundreds of thousands of dollars of peoples money instead of working 9-5, doing your job, and keeping game development as a hobby.

These don't represent most Kickstarters. But my tracking list is going from 8-10 failures to 20-ish failures over the next few months at the rate some things are going.

Jimrpg

You know most of these 'indies' are probably weren't business oriented enough and had dreams of grandeur. It takes a very different skillset to do business and get shit done. We can mock the larger publishers like EA or Ubisoft, but they do get games done, sometimes poorly, sometimes well.

One of the worse lines in management is - "I don't care how, just get it done". Gosh I hate that so much. When that happens, its usually a duct-taped solution and rarely good. Most of the time, the budget gets blown out or project gets delayed. Look what happened with Hello Games, they obviously tried to cover up some of their failings, but its clear that they couldn't do many of the things they promised.

Grief.exe

5. Godus. No updates for 6 months, reports team laid off. It's weird, because for years people were shitting on Godus and they were updating frequently and having good communication for a long time, despite being nowhere near done. But now it's dead.

9 months since the last update to Godus, 6 months since the last update to Godus Wars.

Is 22 Cans even Solvent? I just read an article from last year that says they were trying to work on Godus with a new project called The Trail on the backburner.

Personally, I think they should have just ate the negative PR and started work on a new project. I get the impression that the promises made for Godus were a literal impossibility.

Jimrpg

So how is Call of Duty 1 and 2 on PC? It's on sale.

I never played the games, but do they still hold up? The youtube videos look ok. Are there any mods to make it look better?

Any better options out there? I'm in the mood for a WWII game as I'm watching WWII docs at the moment.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So how is Call of Duty 1 and 2 on PC? It's on sale.

I never played the games, but do they still hold up? The youtube videos look ok. Are there any mods to make it look better?

Any better options out there? I'm in the mood for a WWII game as I'm watching WWII docs at the moment.

2 holds up, kinda. It was a 360 game afterall, I think that gen holds up in general. CoD feels... old, I played it recently (well like 2 years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom