• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
9 months since the last update to Godus, 6 months since the last update to Godus Wars.

Is 22 Cans even Solvent? I just read an article from last year that says they were trying to work on Godus with a new project called The Trail on the backburner.

Personally, I think they should have just ate the negative PR and started work on a new project. I get the impression that the promises made for Godus were a literal impossibility.

Godus Wars is just Godus trying to reset its review average and implement some of the features in parallel. Everyone who owns one owns the other.

Stump, do you track Radio the Universe? I've been wondering what happened to it.

Yes--the game made $81,000 so it's just above my threshold. The developer is a single person, or presents themselves as such in updates. Most of his updates are written very unprofessionally, like very colloquial language like he's texting. I don't know how to politely say it--the updates are written like he's a high school student and doesn't understand how to communicate with other people professionally. It reminds me of all my emotional artsy friends in high school who were very talented but mistook zaniness for depth. He has frequently had long periods of no communication. He does appear to still be working on the game, and it looks great in all the media he's shown (I should say, if the product ever releases, I would be quite excited to try it, I'm not trying to be a shit disturber here). As of April he claims to be aiming for late 2016 but there has only been a single update since then. I rate it as orange, or high risk of failure, in my tracker.

Lomax

Cryamore was one game I really considered backing, but then decided it just seemed really unlikely they'd be able to make what they were talking about for as little money as they got. Would still love to see it release sometime if it ever does.

I think we're just hitting the point now where that initial craze that pumped money into so many projects is so far gone now that all of that money has to be gone. Granted, some projects will still happen thanks to secondary funding and such, but none of those kickstarters in any way budgeted for four years of development. Hell, the vast majority didn't get enough money for even one year of real development.

2. Hiveswap (Homestuck game). Literally years into the KS with no updates they announce they fired the team making it and were going to build it internally. Then a year later they were going to reboot their internal team. Then basically nothing.
3. Barkley 2. No updates for over six months, update today to say they've made procedurally generated borders. Almost 4 years since taking over $100,000, they expect they will have a vertical slice ready in a few months.

People should have seen problems with these two a mile away. One was a web presence with no development experience (this is post-Yogventures) and the other was a quirky RPGMaker game but little more than that. Why people pumped that much dough into them is beyond me.

Jimrpg

CoD1 is the best SP CoD by light years.

COD1 was made for PC and still is the best in my mind.

2 holds up, kinda. It was a 360 game afterall, I think that gen holds up in general. CoD feels... old, I played it recently (well like 2 years ago).

Thanks. I went back and played some early PS3 games and they were pretty woeful, like Infamous for example...

Hopefully being on PC, it can at least increase the resolution.

I just looked through the Steam catalogue, and COD 1 and 2 are just about the only FPS WWII shooters on there with a single player campaign so its not like I have much choice.

Popstar

Yes--the game made $81,000 so it's just above my threshold. The developer is a single person, or presents themselves as such in updates. Most of his updates are written very unprofessionally, like very colloquial language like he's texting. I don't know how to politely say it--the updates are written like he's a high school student and doesn't understand how to communicate with other people professionally. It reminds me of all my emotional artsy friends in high school who were very talented but mistook zaniness for depth. He has frequently had long periods of no communication. He does appear to still be working on the game, and it looks great in all the media he's shown (I should say, if the product ever releases, I would be quite excited to try it, I'm not trying to be a shit disturber here). As of April he claims to be aiming for late 2016 but there has only been a single update since then. I rate it as orange, or high risk of failure, in my tracker.
Thanks. That was one of the first Kickstarter projects I ever considered backing so I was curious.

Right now I only have two projects that I backed that are looking shaky. One the guys are still plugging away at. The other I don't know what the hell happened. It was a small project from a known in the community indie dev (I think the estimated delivery was around 4 months from the Kickstarter) that just went near silent afterwards. Really disappointing.

8. Jon Shafer's At The Gates - Jon updated regularly and was making great progress on his game for a long time. Then he took a very extended, 6+ month mental health break. It's not clear why this affected the game at all given he supposedly had a team, but I guess that's that. He then took another 6 months off because he broke some ribs. I get that recovering from an accident can be long and painful. The problem is that this is not supposed to be a one-person team and backers were not disclosed of the pre-existing medical condition. Should you have to tell people about your medical history to make a game? No, I don't think so. But if you are a sole proprietor and you sign a contract for $100,000, it's expected that a material risk that impacts your ability to work on an ongoing basis would be disclosed, at least in broad strokes. Apology update mid-August but limited actual progress in over a year.

Aw, man. I was looking forward to At the Gates. I had no idea it was in such dire straits, development-wise.

Seems like a really bad showing from Jon, considering his pedigree as a developer:
These [programming and history] interests led Shafer to Sid Meier's Civilization series. He developed fan mods for Civilization III while in high school, and became a beta tester for the Civilization III expansion pack, Conquests, and Civilization IV. Early in Civilization IV's development he wrote an extensive guide explaining how to utilize its Python scripting language,[7] and this led to him joining Firaxis for a programming internship in February 2005. Shafer was later hired full-time, and served as a designer and programmer on the two Civilization IV expansions, Warlords and Beyond the Sword.[8]

Following the completion of Beyond the Sword, Shafer was named the lead designer and principal gameplay programmer for Civilization V, the next full title in the series. While in this role, Shafer drew from his past modding experience and from computer games he had played as a child, most notably Panzer General.[9]

In January 2011, Shafer joined Stardock to lead an unannounced game project and assist with development on the Elemental series.[10] In February 2013, he announced that he had left Stardock and founded Conifer Games, and was now developing a new 4X title, At the Gates.
[Wikipedia]
What a bummer.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is like one of the best looking games I've ever seen, I thought the Xbox One version looked great, the PC version is on some next level shit.

391220_201609022319152zsv3.png

391220_20160902232349u9ss3.png

391220_201609022309249ks41.png

Phawx

Rise of the Tomb Raider is like one of the best looking games I've ever seen, I thought the Xbox One version looked great, the PC version is on some next level shit.

Yea at 4k it's pretty damn nuts. The one inner temple scene with the water was crazy good looking.

Pixieking

Banned
I would like Duelyst better if achievements were unlocking for me. I am starting to wonder whether the achievements only unlock for people who spent money in the game.

I got an achievement for playing one match with all factions, and I didn't spend money, or play a ranked match at that point - it was all practice games.

I would like Duelyst better if winning/losing didn't feel so cheap - it's so reliant on the luck of the draw, it's pretty sad. I got mashed by an opponent in one ranked match because I wasn't drawing minions and he was. Following match, I won in 3 rounds, partly because I was drawing minions and he wasn't, and partly because I was drawing lots of buff General spells, and just broke the opponent's General in two hits.

I'm going to keep at it for awhile, see if it changes, but I doubt it. No matter how much I sucked at playing Magic irl, I never felt a win or loss be as cheap as Duelyst is. (And I've played against some cheesy Magic decks).

PSA: If you pre-ordered Total Warhammer on Steam you should have gotten a special DOTA 2 treasure that you can sell for about 50% of what the game cost you. Just fire up DOTA 2 and get the chest.

Backlogger

I've only backed two games via KS:

Divinity Original Sin 2, which was a pretty safe bet

And

Planets Cube which has since been renamed Stellar Overload. That one seems to be coming along and they post frequent status updates.

mediocre at best, especially disappointing as an episodic effort, and a piss poor story. I made a big thread on it a while back.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199750&highlight=republique

Now I don't know what to think after reading that. Maybe I'll wait for it be cheaper before checking it out

I expect the developer will close within the next year. That doesn't give me joy to say, and it's not a judgment on the product's quality. But the market did not care at all.

I don't know how much it sold on iOS, Android and consoles but its steam sales are currently at 22 786 which seems low for a game thats been out as long as it has at least on pc

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I got an achievement for playing one match with all factions, and I didn't spend money, or play a ranked match at that point - it was all practice games.

I would like Duelyst better if winning/losing didn't feel so cheap - it's so reliant on the luck of the draw, it's pretty sad. I got mashed by an opponent in one ranked match because I wasn't drawing minions and he was. Following match, I won in 3 rounds, partly because I was drawing minions and he wasn't, and partly because I was drawing lots of buff General spells, and just broke the opponent's General in two hits.

I'm going to keep at it for awhile, see if it changes, but I doubt it. No matter how much I sucked at playing Magic irl, I never felt a win or loss be as cheap as Duelyst is. (And I've played against some cheesy Magic decks).

You just described every TCG ever made in every known universe, even those parallel universes where cabbages rule instead of people. Cabbage based TCGs also rely on luck of the draw.

kagamin

Only game I've actively played through a 4k was Valkyria Chronicles and it looked amazing with Durante's canvas fix and Sectus' high res mod.

Hate quit Ass Creed IV again. Either my 3rd or 4th quit.

Internet is still not fixed and I keep getting kicked from Battlenet.

Decided to get the Titan Quest Anniversary thing on sale. I have the original and expansion on disc but I found it too dull the first time. Hopefully I can find a way.

Pixieking

Banned
You just described every TCG ever made in every known universe, even those parallel universes where cabbages rule instead of people. Cabbage based TCGs also rely on luck of the draw.

Yes, but also no. I've built Magic decks and played with other people's custom decks, and whilst they all rely on luck of the draw, I've never felt it impinged on the game. There's always a feeling that I played as best I could, even with the bad draw. Duelyst, I just end-up thinking "Well, this is a bit wank", and feeling deflated and bored.

It'll get better with more cards revealed, yeah - but I can't see sticking with it. Especially reading the Steam Discussion boards where the longer-time players have had the possibility of event decks.

Monooboe

I'm really liking The Final Station, haven't played that far but I'm loving the atmosphere and the concept. Being a trainconducter going from town to town. It's much more story heavy than I thought, I thought it would be mostly survival in 2D.

Also, first game I've bought at fullprice, in I don't know how long.XD

Mivey

Firefox 48's been out for a while now, and Enhanced Steam is working great.
Not on all community pages. But that is apparently fixed already in FF 50 which should release in January.
What's the fast card drop trick for Idle Master again?
You first kill a cat, and draw a pentagram with its blood. Then you summon the ghost of Gabe Newel (No its not important that he is still alive) and then you spam the "skip game" button in Idle Master. I am not sure the sacrifice is really important, but then again, killing cats to summon living people's ghost is part of my daily routine so maybe unrelated.

Over the last few months, a number of long-running Kickstarter projects have lurched towards failure. It's a non-trivial number of projects. To the point that my attitude has shifted from "Failures of high profile projects are fairly rare" to "Failures of high profile projects are somewhat common although not guaranteed", and my backing attitude has shifted from "Just avoid stuff with really obvious red flags" to "I would recommend avoiding a wide variety of projects".

Edit: Nvm, I saw that this project brought in much less then $75.
Do you have any information about the Lioness project? The project creator, Zak Ayles, seems to only post nonsense in his updates.

9 months since the last update to Godus, 6 months since the last update to Godus Wars.

Is 22 Cans even Solvent? I just read an article from last year that says they were trying to work on Godus with a new project called The Trail on the backburner.

Personally, I think they should have just ate the negative PR and started work on a new project. I get the impression that the promises made for Godus were a literal impossibility.

I'm not sure where they would get their money from, unless Godus actually makes some F2P money on iOS in some regions. There's no money to be made off the PC version, so they should just admit failure on that.

I think that they would have made a shitload more money if they had just made an updated Populous, which was what backers expected from it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks. I went back and played some early PS3 games and they were pretty woeful, like Infamous for example...

Hopefully being on PC, it can at least increase the resolution.

I just looked through the Steam catalogue, and COD 1 and 2 are just about the only FPS WWII shooters on there with a single player campaign so its not like I have much choice.
Call of Duty: World at War features a World War II campaign as well, bouncing back and forth between the Pacific and Russian fronts.

GOG has Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and it's expansions, but I can't speak for how well those have aged. It's been around ten years since I last booted one of them up. AA covers the European front and has quite a bit of variety: Africa, Norway, Normandy, and Germany. Spearhead starts with D-Day as a paratrooper and covers Bastogne and the fall of Berlin. Breakthrough starts in Africa and proceeds into the Italian front.

Origin has Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. They actually had it up for free recently. I played half a level due to ease of access (I don't have a disc drive to install my original copy) and found it unplayable. It was so rough and ugly. I was much more forgiving when it initially released apparently as I played the demo too many times to count and finished the game itself twice.

Jimrpg

Call of Duty: World at War features a World War II campaign as well, bouncing back and forth between the Pacific and Russian fronts.

GOG has Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and it's expansions, but I can't speak for how well those have aged. It's been around ten years since I last booted one of them up. AA covers the European front and has quite a bit of variety: Africa, Norway, Normandy, and Germany. Spearhead starts with D-Day as a paratrooper and covers Bastogne and the fall of Berlin. Breakthrough starts in Africa and proceeds into the Italian front.

Origin has Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. They actually had it up for free recently. I played half a level due to ease of access (I don't have a disc drive to install my original copy) and found it unplayable. It was so rough and ugly. I was much more forgiving when it initially released apparently as I played the demo too many times to count and finished the game itself twice.

Thanks! I missed World at War, and I'll look at giving that a shot in the near future.

MoH:AA sounds interesting too.

Zeknurn

Thanks! I missed World at War, and I'll look at giving that a shot in the near future.

MoH:AA sounds interesting too.

You also have Medal of Honor Airborne on Origin, the Brothers in Arms series on Steam and the Sniper Elite series on Steam.

All very good

Thank you all for your replies, greatly appreciate it! Sorry for the late reply, as I got stuck in several bad meetings after posting that and was unable to return to GAF.

Deathsmiles is great and has the MOST METAL name for a final boss ever.
There are also the Zeal series if you want traditional shmups.

Judgement Silversword is a compilation of shmups released on the Wonderswan Handheld
The Raiden franchise are good ports too.

Didn't recognize you at first, you changed your avatar to Jensen haha. I played Mushihimesama yesterday and was blown away, it's my first experience with a legit Cave shooter... what a freaking rush, I think I'm in love. Will buy Deathsmiles after I've had my fun with Mushi, but I bought the XIIZEAL and DELTAZEAL bundle on your rec for a mix of traditional shooter. Also picked up Raiden IV, what a deal!

Crimzon Clover... it's like the best stuff ever

I know, right? Crimson Clover is amazing! But I already bought in the Steam Comiket sale they had before with Japanese indies.

ESCHATOS, Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION & REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR are fantastic. Crimzon Clover especially is one of the standouts in the genre.

Assault Android Cactus is criminally overlooked, one of the best games of 2015. There's a demo on steam.

OK, I bought Eschatos - looks good! I already have REVOLVER 360 but have never played it, will give it a shot.

I already have Assault Android Cactus, bought it not long after launch... it's gaffer made and super high quality, I couldn't say no!

I would recommend Ikaruga, but it's part of the sale :(

I have Ikaruga too... I wish there was more Treasure output on Steam. :-(

Aside from what people already mentioned there are some new lesser known shmups that are amazing. MECHA Ritz, ReFrain, Valkyrius Prime, Wolflame, Battle Crust. I don't know if they are all in sale.

I picked up Wolflame! Mecha Ritz looks good too but it isn't on sale, and I've already picked up a ton of shmups in the past 24 hours haha. ReFrain was seriously tempting though, that game looks like the shit! Decided to wishlist for the time being.

Cheers all!

Hektor

Stumps post made me go check up on Project Phoenix again.

Seems like they're making actual progress for the first time in years.

Interesting sidenote: All the Audio of I am Setsuna was done by them. Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom