• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheaaaa

Very happy with this month's Humble Monthly.
Sold Soma for $5, heard good things about Epistory and have been eyeing it, Sheltered looks interesting, WWE is a decent +1 and sold Banner Saga and Salem for a dollar each. Can't complain.

wazoo

I have more than 400 games on my wishlist, which basically kills the purpose of a wishlist :(

Worst thing, most are out since the last 3 years, which is not good, the wishlist has few hopes to decrease ...

data

I have more than 400 games on my wishlist, which basically kills the purpose of a wishlist :(

Worst thing, most are out since the last 3 years, which is not good, the wishlist has few hopes to decrease ...

delete everything, start fresh

bloke

It's garbage dump since I'm not 100% sure whether all keys are working...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

The Living Dungeon -- MB-B2C82CAB297E72A3 - Taken by JustLynx
Spirits of Xanadu -- MB-89665A28A11C0846 - Taken by venomenon
Quest of Dungeons -- MB-C08217796A28CD01 - Taken by Henry Swanson
A.I. Invasion -- MB-990798309FD5FA03 - Taken by nightstorm
Girls Like Robots -- MB-0D768D9D84D01A1C - Taken by oipic
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory -- MB-39992F90F8B17E71 - Taken by voodooray
Burnstar -- MB-6D68A5BF7A6C6D52 - Taken by fuzzy123

Knurek

Another major Path of Exile expansion just dropped.
Is that the best F2P game on Steam, or the best F2P game on Steam?

fantomena

Is Shadow Warrior 2 a linear game like the first one or open-world? I read something about open-world somewhere and I will be dissapointed if it is.

liezryou

PSA: If you pre-ordered Total Warhammer on Steam you should have gotten a special DOTA 2 treasure that you can sell for about 50% of what the game cost you. Just fire up DOTA 2 and get the chest.

Pretty awesome chest, regret not preordering warhammer. Guess ill just wait for the prices of it to go down some more.

Nordicus

Especially reading the Steam Discussion boards where the longer-time players have had the possibility of event decks.
Care to explain that? I've played the game over a year since closed beta and they've never given ready made decks besides the basics everyone gets when they start the game.

Also you're talking of the same Steam discussion board where people cry "OP OP" about basic cards that have been some of the weakest ones even during closed beta with no change, like ranged minions, or Shadow Watcher.

venomenon

Epistory is as fun as expected. Cool to see how it relentlessly takes advantage of the German language.
VBiaigS.jpg

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Blockstorm -- MB-8313200706805849 - Taken by EdwardTeach

Hektor

The Final Station's world or story really ain't anything special or worthy talking about, but i really like how they build the world. Show don't tell, done right.

Kifimbo

Enjoy your weekend.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Magnetic By Nature -- MB-11A0091E9FF25A14 - Taken by bloke
StarFringe -- MB-11CFC15ECA0DCE84 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick
Hordelicious -- MB-C0EF16F9822316B8 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-3E47E02EA443385C - Taken by voodooray
Incognito -- MB-C289040098F2F899 - Taken by dimmer

PSA: If you pre-ordered Total Warhammer on Steam you should have gotten a special DOTA 2 treasure that you can sell for about 50% of what the game cost you. Just fire up DOTA 2 and get the chest.

Ok... fine. I'll install Dota 2 and get a mobile authenticator.

Have a giant backlog of cards anyways, so I guess this works out.

Grief.exe

Is Shadow Warrior 2 a linear game like the first one or open-world? I read something about open-world somewhere and I will be dissapointed if it is.

Going to have to wait and see since we don't have enough information to pass judgement right now. Flying Wild Hog has proven they know what they are doing for gameplay, so give them the benefit of the doubt.

You can probably launch it through the appid, without having to install.

fantomena

Goddammit. I was stupid, tripped in one of the USB cable and broke one of the USB front ports. Well, at least I have about 5 extra ports.

Lol, somebody has the same problem, same port too. Took the pic from overclocker forum.

CUo70.jpg

Going to have to wait and see since we don't have enough information to pass judgement right now. Flying Wild Hog has proven they know what they are doing for gameplay, so give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ok, but not giving devs this year the benefit of the doubt save me money from No Mans Sky and Deus Ex.

Uzzy

I just finished The Turing Test. Here's some thoughts.

You play the role of Ava Turing, an astronaut awoken from cryogenic slumber on a station orbiting around Europa. Contact's been lost with the ground crew, so you're sent down by the AI overseer of the mission, the Technical Operations Machine (or TOM for short) to investigate the base and uncover what's gone on. Blocking your path are a number of puzzles, described as 'Turing Tests', which the AI overseer cannot solve due to restrictions on his programming, but you can.

jnVRE6Z.png

Story: It is always cold on Europa.

So the main appeal of this game was the story, with the promise of delving into the philosophy of the mind, touching on themes of consciousness and artificial intelligence and, of course, if an AI can 'think'. I'm quite a big fan of anything that delves into those kind of issues, and and while I appreciated the references to Dennett, Searle and the Chinese room thought experiment and the like, I didn't feel it did anything truly spectacular or new with the premise. These are well trodden grounds for a mass of sci-fi stories, and The Turing Test doesn't really do much to stand out from the crowd.

The story mostly unfolds through dialogue between Ava and TOM, with new lines being doled out in each new room. Which, depending on how long you spend in each room, can be a little awkward and unnatural, as you might go a good ten minutes between dialogue. While I enjoyed the performances delivered by the two main characters, the performances in the inevitable audio logs scattered around the station were a bit lacking. Also having to stand still to listen to an audio log is immensely frustrating. Stop that.

j7ylzhp.png

Gameplay: It has some

The actual puzzles in the game are all solved through the manipulation of the flow of electricity, which you accomplish in a number of ways like removing fuse boxes from walls, or moving electricity from one point to another via your energy manipulation tool. The designers managed to get a decent amount of mileage out of these rather straightforward mechanics, but again, nothing really excels. Solutions aren't hard to come by, and you can blow through a number of rooms quite quickly. Frequently the only thing stopping me solving a puzzle was figuring out how to mechanically do it, as I had mentally solved it quite quickly.

If you're after challenging puzzles, this isn't the game for you. I still enjoyed solving the puzzles offered, but I'd have appreciated something a little tougher, or puzzles that really made me think outside the box. There's a few optional 'challenge' rooms you'll encounter during your playthrough, which do demand a little more lateral thinking and are the highlight of the game both mechanically and for story, but they're just not enough.

Overall, while The Turing Test offers some good ideas, it doesn't really delve into those ideas enough to truly satisfy.

Is there any good management/simulation game you guys can suggest me? I already have city skyline and the rollercoaster tycoon(s). I saw parkitect but it's early access, and software inc seems interesting but people say that when you figure out how to play it becomes boring

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any good management/simulation game you guys can suggest me? I already have city skyline and the rollercoaster tycoon(s). I saw parkitect but it's early access, and software inc seems interesting but people say that when you figure out how to play it becomes boring

Stardew Valley & Factorio

Rimworld is great but EA

2. Hiveswap (Homestuck game). Literally years into the KS with no updates they announce they fired the team making it and were going to build it internally. Then a year later they were going to reboot their internal team. Then basically nothing.

Goddamn. Back when this KS was going on, it was this or Shantae for me (I was a Homestuck fanboy). I'm so glad I went with Shantae instead.

Deques

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

SUPERFIGHT #3 -- MB-478BCDB19E79B28E - Taken by Hakkelus
SUPERFIGHT #2 -- MB-100C4870FA7647A5 - Taken by Ucchedavāda
SUPERFIGHT -- MB-A77D96C01C92785A - Taken by Saty
SUPERFIGHT #4 -- MB-B32BDA2E3B0C18A2 - Taken by Jawmuncher

New computer, but it still can't run Doom at an acceptable framerate. I'm on minimum settings, switched to Vulkan, updated my graphics card, and even lowered the resolution, but it still runs really choppy.

Grief.exe

Prison Architect.

I second this.

Stardew Valley & Factorio

Rimworld is great but EA

giphy.gif

Banished.

Ignore the Early Access tags on Factorio and Rimworld, they are truly irrelevant.

rtcn63

New computer, but it still can't run Doom at an acceptable framerate. I'm on minimum settings, switched to Vulkan, updated my graphics card, and even lowered the resolution, but it still runs really choppy.

I had to lower the scaling to like 75% on my 670 and even then I couldn't get a stable FPS all the time. It's those imps and their fire.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here are some of the games that really fell off a cliff over the last little while, in order of funding date:

My internal Kickstarter-governor seems to be working as I didn't back any of those projects.

But I also haven't backed a videogame project in over a year, so that either speaks to my skepticism or that the quality and believability of projects is way down.

Ugh, I forgot that mobile auth doesn't remove the trade restriction right away...

Here's to hoping that the Warhammer Dota item holds its value or goes up!
I'm definitely going to be checking out Rimworld, artwork looks like it was ripped right from PA.

It's original art, but the PA inspiration for Rimworld is pretty obvious.

Sort of like Banished, it's a cool take on a roguelike city builder/management kind of game. Although you can go full sandbox if you want.

Grief.exe

Uhm, how?

• Go to a random individual game folder (Steam>Steamapps>common>Big Bang Empire)
  • Open the file, or create the file, steam_appid.txt
  • Insert the appid of the game you wish to run, in this case 570 for Dota 2 (this can be found via the URL from the Steam page or on Steamdb).
  • Run the game through Steam.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
This game is pretty good but seems to have flown under the radar. Enjoy

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sub Zero, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Metrico Plus -- MB-C3A25CC7C5A10B79 - Taken by Jadax. 5 entrants total.
Metrico Plus #3 -- MB-6BBE110E4FEC7347 - Taken by data. 3 entrants total.
Metrico Plus #2 -- MB-012E4B3B06BAFEBB - Taken by Monooboe. 1 entrants total.

t1472911914z1.png

Grief.exe

No Man's Sky Update

Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues

• Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
  • Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point.

Getting Stuck in the world

• Fixed a couple of low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
  • A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.
Gameplay

• Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
  • Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as “already known” when they weren’t actually known.
  • Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn’t, this has been fixed now.
  • It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
  • There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
  • Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.

Save / Load

• Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.

Crash Fixes

• Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.
Tweaks and Improvements

• It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
  • Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
  • Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
  • The ‘You have unredeemed items’ message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
  • Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
  • Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
  • Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
  • Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
  • Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
  • Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now work correctly (mutes the VO also).
  • If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
  • Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
  • Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).

PC Only Issues

• Editing the settings file and corrupting it could cause the game to crash. Instead of crashing it will now revert back to the default settings.
  • The inventory screen now works correctly regardless of resolution.
  • Added error message for older CPUs without SSE3 support.
  • Synchronise frame capping with the first vsync (removes some framerate issues).
  • Added steam id to login call to help track down some login issues.
  • Fixed the X key size on the galaxy map.
  • If you press Tab+P in quick succession, the game paused and didn’t let you out of it.
  • Fixed a performance issue by defaulting your texture resolution to a sensible value based on available GPU memory.

Overall, while The Turing Test offers some good ideas, it doesn't really delve into those ideas enough to truly satisfy.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like a sale purchase I guess? Maybe give the devs time to fix some stuff (like being able to move while listening to audio logs and all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom