• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't even need it to be in the same genre, since the gameplay in Bloodlines isn't all that great. Give me a new VtM game with a bunch of good characters and a reactive world.

Too bad Brian Mitsoda isn't at Obsidian anymore.

i think the ppl at obs are more than capable of doing a proper sequel

maybe they could recruit brian for it

Uzzy

My sledgehammer brings all the boys to the yard

Vampire is legit. I'm tempted to try a new class once I'm done with my first playthrough.

It's one of the all time classics for a reason. Nice to see you going with best clan Toreador, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't even need it to be in the same genre, since the gameplay in Bloodlines isn't all that great. Give me a new VtM game with a bunch of good characters and a reactive world.

Crusader Kings 2 with a VtM/VtR skin would be a dream game.

My sledgehammer brings all the boys to the yard

Vampire is legit. I'm tempted to try a new class once I'm done with my first playthrough.

Wow, that game still looks pretty good.

It's cool to see some folks here giving Homefront the Revolution a try during the free weekend.

It definitely has some problems but it was a solid Far Cry-like game. Enjoyed it immensely when I played it a month ago on PS4.

BUY STEINS;GATE

I'd download Homefront, if Far Cry 3 wasn't sitting in my backlog with like an hour's playtime. I enjoyed the opening, just need to get in the groove.

Ozium

guys can we talk about THE BUNKER ???

it comes out in ten days

notice how devs are honest and didn't call it something like 10 Freeman Lane or something

Fantasy Crusader Kings 2 needs to happen. With Game of Thrones being all the rage, not developing it is just leaving money on the table.

And CK2 is getting really close to GOAT territory, with every expansion bringing it closer to perfection.

Divinity: Original Sin 2, shaka brah.

And maybe Tyranny? (I'm not holding my breath, but eh. You never know.)

Well...

I'll take anime over Adam Sandler any day I guess

giphy.gif

Adnor

Banned
Ugh it was my niece's birthday today and I've been running around all day, and then I had to take photos of the birthday. 468 photos.... I just hope at least one is decent. I don't know how people worked when they only had film :p

Now to shut down my brain and kill stuff in some game I guess.

kagamin

Ugh it was my niece's birthday today and I've been running around all day, and then I had to take photos of the birthday. 468 photos.... I just hope at least one is decent. I don't know how people worked when they only had film :p

Now to shut down my brain and kill stuff in some game I guess.

Sounds like a plan! Enjoy your day of videogames!

Arthea

guys can we talk about THE BUNKER ???

it comes out in ten days

notice how devs are honest and didn't call it something like 10 Freeman Lane or something

what about it? The bunker I mean, it's not even a dragon, it's a hole in the ground, why it is red? kindly fix this.

The best way to kill some stuff in games is to enter Overwatch--either the action or organisation.

Believe it.
Dead State was made by ex Troika devs, wasn't it?

How'd that game turn out?
Dead State is the very definition of jank. There's some really cool ideas, but a lot of the presentation and gameplay gets in the way of showcasing it. You'll often be fighting the UI as much as you are the enemies. Like, it is a good time if you're willing to give it a lot of slack, but otherwise there's a sea of better RPG or RPGlikes to play, even survival ones.

State of Decay, Expeditions: Conquistador, Thea: The Awakening, or even Rimworld are all much easier recommendations for those seeking survival RPG elements.

Actually, the only recent survival RPG I'd put below Dead State is Wasteland 2 (non-Director's Cut, at least). W2 doesn't even have ideas, it just has a weird level of retro pride. (I'll eventually get around to W2DC...)

rtcn63

Random question I've always wanted to ask: For those who've played Metroid Fusion, is Samus still physically human in the traditional sense or is she fused into her new suit?

Arthea

Believe it.
Dead State is the very definition of jank. There's some really cool ideas, but a lot of the presentation and gameplay gets in the way of showcasing it. You'll often be fighting the UI as much as you are the enemies. Like, it is a good time if you're willing to give it a lot of slack, but otherwise there's a sea of better RPG or RPGlikes to play, even survival ones.

State of Decay, Expeditions: Conquistador, Thea: The Awakening, or even Rimworld are all much easier recommendations for those seeking survival RPG elements.

Actually, the only recent survival RPG I'd put below Dead State is Wasteland 2 (non-Director's Cut, at least). W2 doesn't even have ideas, it just has a weird level of retro pride. (I'll eventually get around to W2DC...)

I had to

zkylon

zkylewd
Dead State was made by ex Troika devs, wasn't it?

How'd that game turn out?
it's very janky but i liked it a lot

it's very successful at doing a really satisfying gameplay loop of looting for stuff and upgrading ur base and interweaving that with bits of story but it's also way too overambitious and suffers from bugs, really bad navigation and ui work and various undercooked gameplay and story elements

What now?
Troika devs worked on Wasterland 2 (Anderson), Pillars of Eternity (Cain) and Diablo 3 (Boyarsky). They certainly didn't work on this game.
this is incorrect as bloodlines designer brian mitsoda directed dead state

afaik annie mitsoda also worked on bloodlines

Nabs

zkylon

zkylewd
i quite like what i played of wasteland 2 but it's true that its reverance for classic crpg conventions is a problem

dead state doesn't make those mistakes out of reverance, it's more like it couldn't afford to not fall for them, they had such a limited budget and a small team and their ambitions were so high, it's kind of just way too much for them

that's why i like eternity so much, the point of these new games isn't to replicate old crpgs, it's to figure out when they went wrong and fix it while also taking advantage of what they got so fucking right

divinity original sin does a little bit of this but nowhere as good as eternity. eternity is seriously a masterful class in proper polish and streamlining, it's such a good game

zkylon

zkylewd
My biggest problem with Wasteland 2 was the UI.
It is complete shit.
honestly the ui is shit in every single crpg

like i hated the ui in divinity as well and it's the most not-bad in eternity but it's still a headache about a ton of stuff

but yeah wasteland 2 is specially bad and sadly i don't feel like torment's looking much better

kagamin

like i hated the ui in divinity as well and it's the most not-bad in eternity but it's still a headache about a ton of stuff

but yeah wasteland 2 is specially bad and sadly i don't feel like torment's looking much better

KOTOR 2's UI is fine honestly.

Which reminds me, should I start my yearly KOTOR 2 playthrough this month or next month?

DOS' one big UI innovation was the chain link for follower AI. (an easy, button-free way to display "follow party" or "disable party movement" options.)

But yeah, the genre is still waiting for the "Civ5" of CRPGs to come along for the presentation. (Seriously, every 4X worth its salt now mimics Civ5's UI; it is a masterclass, and probably one of Firaxis' biggest legacies beyond Civ as a series.)

Wow. I'm kind of shocked that Elder Scrolls has enough lore for a Total Conversion... The lore is so forgettable in those games.

But truly, I don't want to sacrifice the bajillion expansions in exchange for a license. I need both the fantasy pitch AND a half-decade of expansions.
Make it happen, Pdox.
While we wait for it there is always the A Game of Thrones mod

It really is the most natural pairing imaginable.

I should try it one day... One day.

zkylon

zkylewd
KOTOR 2's UI is fine honestly.

Which reminds me, should I start my yearly KOTOR 2 playthrough this month or next month?
well i mean, was mostly referring to old ass crpgs, but i guess that applies to most other rpgs as well

honestly can't even remember kotor's ui, but i'll say that most cases ui stuff in rpgs is not a painless thing lol

DOS' one big UI innovation was the chain link for follower AI. (an easy, button-free way to display "follow party" or "disable party movement" options.)

But yeah, the genre is still waiting for the "Civ5" of CRPGs to come along for the presentation. (Seriously, every 4X worth its salt now mimics Civ5's UI; it is a masterclass, and probably one of Firaxis' biggest legacies beyond Civ as a series.)
i think eternity was a really big step in that direction, i can see tyranny being great as well

obsidian really are experts on the subject

I feel like Outbreak wouldn't really need a remaster. That game would benefit to me with just a HD port. Since everything else holds pretty well. RECVX being a DC game shows, and at this point I feel like the entire game needs to be reamstered, rather than just ported.

Support for higher resolutions, 60fps, working online functionalities and achievements would be quite enough by me. Although adding new scenarios and elements would be even better, of course.

Tellaerin

Wow. I'm kind of shocked that Elder Scrolls has enough lore for a Total Conversion... The lore is so forgettable in those games.

TES games have a metric shitton of intriguing lore lurking beneath the veneer of traditional fantasy. (Michael Kirkbride was responsible for a lot of that funkiness, love him or hate him. The opinion of the TES community is definitely split on the topic.) Kind of surprised you found it forgettable, tbh.

Ozium

totally fucked up my building in project highrise, I took a contract from investors for expanding my infrastructure by including 12 medium offices (3 of each type of 4) and went to go build some shit

anyways after zoning the office space I signed a contract for a tenant to move in, but it was a dentist (I need 3 medical offices) but wasn't thinking and put them in a place and now they moved in and are pissed because they dont have water... (not all offices need a water line, restaurants/coffee shops do, of course.. and laundry services)

apartments need them too but i'm not building any of those

but they are in a place where in order to give them water I'd have to evict like 4 tenants and that shit costs money since you are breaking their lease

fucked

dsdsdasdd

Corpekata

Banned
totally fucked up my building in project highrise, I took a contract from investors for expanding my infrastructure by including 12 medium offices (3 of each type of 4) and went to go build some shit

anyways after zoning the office space I signed a contract for a tenant to move in, but it was a dentist (I need 3 medical offices) but wasn't thinking and put them in a place and now they moved in and are pissed because they dont have water... (not all offices need a water line, restaurants/coffee shops do, of course.. and laundry services)

apartments need them too but i'm not building any of those

but they are in a place where in order to give them water I'd have to evict like 4 tenants and that shit costs money since you are breaking their lease

fucked

dsdsdasdd

I did similar with not planning ahead for water. I was pretty early though, so I'm just restarting.

Sarcasm

TES games have a metric shitton of intriguing lore lurking beneath the veneer of traditional fantasy. (Michael Kirkbride was responsible for a lot of that funkiness, love him or hate him. The opinion of the TES community is definitely split on the topic.) Kind of surprised you found it forgettable, tbh.

I barely remember the lore. To be honest I really only remember morrowind.

Jawmuncher

Played the first chapter of Walking Dead: Michonne. Looks like this will easily be worth the $3.66 I payed. Also realized that I have every TT game after Jurassic Park came out. I just really enjoy the interactive TV show format. Hoping Batman finishes it's season this year and doesn't take forever.

zkylon

zkylewd
With Pillars, the inventory and character sheets are perfect, but I don't care for the battle UI. It should've communicated status effects, targeting, currently active characters, and so much more in a clearer way. Tyranny looks better already on this front.

100% agreed on pillars

didn't see the tyranny ui

do u have pics?

Well... my final big choice in TWD: Michonne Ep 3, you know, The Big One, was not reflected in the Epilogue--as if I took an entirely different path. It's pretty much shattered the enjoyment of that game.

Telltale pls. If you can't ensure continuity then your games are unquantifiably terrible.
Played the first chapter of Walking Dead: Michonne. Looks like this will easily be worth the $3.66 I payed. Also realized that I have every TT game after Jurassic Park came out. I just really enjoy the interactive TV show format. Hoping Batman finishes it's season this year and doesn't take forever.
In spite of the above, I'm also hoping Batman ends up good, on the Borderlands end of the spectrum rather than the Game of Thrones one. Should be a fun romp at the very least.

Of course, if there's continuity-related bugs then I should really skip it. It's a complete gamebreaker, especially with how the chapters and dialog skipping works in most of TellTale's output.

Just played about an hour and a half of The Evil Within and so far it feels like an RE4 clone. Did people just hate it on release because of technical issues or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom