• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I...don't think it's that bad compared to most community threads, assuming your definition of bad is non pc gaming talk, which you seem to identify as the intended course of discussion.

ToonamiGAF survives on weekdays talking about life and stuff when toonami is a once a week broadcast.
PersonaGAF is lively and they get a game a year.

A lot of community threads live off a community talking as a community, not just off of games.

You're hitting a straw man. I don't dislike communities. I dislike completely opaque, cliquey communities. Non PC gaming talk has nothing to do with it - it's more about, hey, can a new poster on GAF come in here and feel like they could post comfortably without feeling like they're wasting their time? It doesn't really even matter what they're talking about, it's more about the accessibility of that conversation. An easy way to provide accessibility is to keep the thread about the thread's purported topic, because it's a common entry point.

Plus, it's nice to have a place to talk about stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. PC exclusives don't get a lot of play on GAF normally. Or just casual game impressions, even if the game is kind of old. I like that stuff. The thread doesn't have to be about just that, it's just nice that there's a place to find it.

Like people are against in jokes because the community makes them. Okay, but that makes no sense. If you just joined GAF, you won't understand half of the GAF jokes out there. People still make them as a part of a larger community, just like the smaller one will continue to make them. Anyone who knows Jaw will make jokes about him and dinos, but to anyone else, they'd ask why are we mentioning a random poster.

What I'm trying to say is people want a community to not be a community for some weird reasons.

You really like to make assumptions about my position! Jaw's dino game love is a great example of an inside joke that's accessible. I got it whenever I started lurking the Steam thread because it's not hard to pick up on. But ff the thread is nothing but those kinds of jokes people are making about each other (some of them less easy to understand than others and require a lot of explanation), then why would I read that thread? It's just a bunch of babble.

Soulflarz

Banned
You're hitting a straw man. I don't dislike communities. I dislike completely opaque, cliquey communities. Non PC gaming talk has nothing to do with it - it's more about, hey, can a new poster on GAF come in here and feel like they could post comfortably without feeling like they're wasting their time? It doesn't really even matter what they're talking about, it's more about the accessibility of that conversation. An easy way to provide accessibility is to keep the thread about the thread's purported topic, because it's a common entry point.

Plus, it's nice to have a place to talk about stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. PC exclusives don't get a lot of play on GAF normally. Or just casual game impressions, even if the game is kind of old. I like that stuff. The thread doesn't have to be about just that, it's just nice that there's a place to find it.

You see, this would work, except "The thread doesn't have to be about just that", when that's the only thing you've been arguing.

This thread isn't all anime. Or would you rather purge that entire part of the thread to animesteamGAF, since that's just a large part of the community that enjoys it?

You can argue accessibility and such all you want, but you're missing the point of the community thread. Anyone coming into a community from scratch is going to feel slightly out of place, nothing is new there.

Alternatively, we could follow what you're saying and have a very boring thread where every post is predictable and dry.

>game release news
>cool will buy
>impressions

You'd have a thread with discussion but you'd have no personality except for that being in your differing opinions on games. That forms a thread of discussion about a game, but it sure as hell doesn't form anything resembling a community of people.

My reason: This thread wasn't a community thread when I joined and it wasn't our decision to make it one.

This is 5x more valid and I won't even argue that it's not, but it is now, and was since I joined it, so I probably see things in a different light than you.

XCOM 2 does three major things that makes it zounds ahead of XCOM 1: procedurally-generated maps, near-fully destructible terrain, and objectives with time limits. Taken altogether, it turns XCOM into a much better game. That said, make sure you can run it--XCOM 2 has had some rough technical issues since it launched, although they've been smoothed out since then.

I can't imagine XCOM 2 requires a high level of hardware compared to other 2016 titles just due to the type of game it is?

Or are you more talking about the somewhat buggy state it was released in, cause I was under the impression those were fixed for the most part.

That said you do make the game sound a lot better than XCOM1.

That's because it's Platinum's best game on PC.

Resolution can't hold back the pure kick ass energy of RULES OF NATURE

Just mentioning it makes me want to replay it. Man it's good.

Unfortunately I've committed to TWD: Michonne. That's enough swordsmanship for one day.
I can't imagine XCOM 2 requires a high level of hardware compared to other 2016 titles just due to the type of game it is?

Or are you more talking about the somewhat buggy state it was released in, cause I was under the impression those were fixed for the most part.

XCOM 2 is a lot more demanding than most games, in part because of its design and in part because of performance bugs. They've fixed a lot of the performance issues as I understand it, but at launch it could be pretty bad sometimes.

On the bright side, it looks really nice and the procedural maps look really natural. You can tell they spared no expense when designing the levels.

And seriously, it's a great game. The performance issues have held back its greatness, but I foresee it winning some end-of-year awards, particularly if the console launch goes smoothly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
snatched that 3.60€ Michonne from Humble, thanks for the tip

rtcn63

I was under the assumption that the reason why Grief or whoever says so and so should be downplayed is because it tends to lead to community in-fighting. Like, my waifu is better than your waifu. And stop talking about waifus my waifu is standing my behind me and I don't want her to revoke my internet privileges for the night.

Soulflarz

Banned
To sum up my thoughts and what I can see from others:

Some people want a thread with personalities that talk about a variety of topics while holding a common interest while some want one with news where you can occasionally draw someones opinions from their views, but it is largely on topic unless the joke is very clear and easy to pick up.
I find the former a lot more fun to keep up with and make friends in while getting news, while some would much rather have the easier to read version.

What's worse? Animu shit or Adam Sandler shit?

Not like it matters. As long as it's not anime, or about "anime" games, posting stuff like this with no context is fine.

My reason: This thread wasn't a community thread when I joined and it wasn't our decision to make it one.

A valid argument and yes, I remember when it wasn't as well (I posted less back then) but, I don't think it's fair for the people who came later. I mean there is a Steam News thread.

I am half joking here mind you.

I was under the assumption that the reason why Grief or whoever says so and so should be downplayed is because it tends to lead to community in-fighting. Like, my waifu is better than your waifu. And stop talking about waifus my waifu is standing my behind me and I don't want her to revoke my internet privileges for the night.

Not sure how much that helps when people go down each others throats on even dumber things. Like insults because you still have a 1080p monitor for example.

Jawmuncher

First rule of community, don't talk about community.

illusionary

FWIW, I had no problems at all with the game on my 965M, so it certainly doesn't need top-spec hardware for decent performance. No noticeable bug issues either.

I agree with LurkerPrime on the calibre of the game too, it's excellent (though I've loved pretty much every 'core' XCOM/X-COM game throughout its history).

You see, this would work, except "The thread doesn't have to be about just that", when that's the only thing you've been arguing.

It isn't.

This thread isn't all anime. Or would you rather purge that entire part of the thread to animesteamGAF, since that's just a large part of the community that enjoys it?

I definitely don't dislike the anime.

You can argue accessibility and such all you want, but you're missing the point of the community thread. Anyone coming into a community from scratch is going to feel slightly out of place, nothing is new there.

Not arguing against that at all.

Alternatively, we could follow what you're saying and have a very boring thread where every post is predictable and dry.

>game release news
>cool will buy
>impressions

You'd have a thread with discussion but you'd have no personality except for that being in your differing opinions on games. That forms a thread of discussion about a game, but it sure as hell doesn't form anything resembling a community of people.

This is so utterly left field I feel like you might be read another poster. I'm absolutely not arguing for this. I'm absolutely not wanting this at all.

I'm only trying to throw out how much I appreciate SteamGAF's current iteration. It's a quality thread these days. It didn't used to be, for what I wanted from it. That's it.

Soulflarz

Banned
so we relatively agree and just ran a circle?
works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also last part wasn't directed just at you, was moreso saying it on my original post that some people would actually prefer it that way.

Jawmuncher

It isn't.

I definitely don't dislike the anime.

Not arguing against that at all.

This is so utterly left field I feel like you might be read another poster. I'm absolutely not arguing for this. I'm absolutely not wanting this at all.

I'm only trying to throw out how much I appreciate SteamGAF's current iteration. It's a quality thread these days. It didn't used to be, for what I wanted from it. That's it.

This is all reasonable to me. We all have different expectations of a thread. I feel it's possible to have both something more informative while also having something that builds a community. As was said it's not like the two can be hand in hand. All it takes is just some general insight. I quoted you but I just kinda just said whatever. Oh well.

Unfortunately I've committed to TWD: Michonne. That's enough swordsmanship for one day.

XCOM 2 is a lot more demanding than most games, in part because of its design and in part because of performance bugs. They've fixed a lot of the performance issues as I understand it, but at launch it could be pretty bad sometimes.

On the bright side, it looks really nice and the procedural maps look really natural. You can tell they spared no expense when designing the levels.

And seriously, it's a great game. The performance issues have held back its greatness, but I foresee it winning some end-of-year awards, particularly if the console launch goes smoothly.
Man if Bayonetta was on PC the Metal Gear Rising would be usurped. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet :(

This is all reasonable to me. We all have different expectations of a thread. I feel it's possible to have both something more informative while also having something that builds a community. As was said it's not like the two can be hand in hand. All it takes is just some general insight. I quoted you but I just kinda just said whatever. Oh well.

Definitely. I like the current mix of personality and chitchat alongside the games talk.

Like, it's actually cool that people were talking about the PS4 Pro in this thread even though it's not topical because I like to get the pulse from the people in this thread.

Agh, I just filled a whole page with my complaining and clarifying. Those aren't a very fun read. Back to your regularly scheduled debate about Resident Evil...

Hey guys and gals, I would like to point out that Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander left Early Access yesterday.

Some quotes from members who played it during the early access

Toma:

PandaPedinte:

afternoon delight:

There is also a video made by Klyca where he plays through the first hour of the game so you can have an idea about how it works.

Grief.exe

To sum up my thoughts and what I can see from others:

Some people want a thread with personalities that talk about a variety of topics while holding a common interest while some want one with news where you can occasionally draw someones opinions from their views, but it is largely on topic unless the joke is very clear and easy to pick up.
I find the former a lot more fun to keep up with and make friends in while getting news, while some would much rather have the easier to read version.

You're still utilizing to the same straw man. No one is saying there can't be off topic discussion at all, the issue was a plurality of posts in the thread were unintelligible garbage. This not only made the thread a complete mess to follow unless you were apart of those minority of posters engaged in that rhetoric, but it also turned off a good amount of people from participating this the thread.

Soulflarz

Banned
You're still utilizing to the same straw man. No one is saying there can't be off topic discussion at all, the issue was a plurality of posts in the thread were unintelligible garbage. This not only made the thread a complete mess to follow unless you were apart of those minority of posters engaged in that rhetoric, but it also turned off a good amount of people from participating this the thread.

I was using the extreme to get the point across, moreso for the two sides. I obviously do not think some people actually want there to be zero idea of personalities nor do I assume they want it to be anime gif central on the other side.

I never seemed to mind any iteration of the thread in my year and a half of reading it, but that might just be me. It also might have been awful in a time period that I was never here.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Hey guys and gals, I would like to point out that Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander left Early Access yesterday.

Toma:

PandaPedinte:

afternoon delight:

There is also a video made by Klyca where he plays through the first hour of the game so you can have an idea about how it works.

I backed this game on Kickstarter, I should finally play it

and yeah, the Anime hate in this thread is worse and more distracting than Anime itself... but overall it really got better :)

Jawmuncher

WESKER IS THE MOST SUGOI

tumblr_o7zp1lpiVV1s2wkkxo1_500.gif

------

I wonder if the next RE7 demo is gonna have the PS4 exclusivity again.

Just remember that supporting Halcyon 6 also supports this:
Truly, only Stellaris can get away with so many sets of eyes.

Also FYI PandaPedinte your video link is borked. Text and a URL cannot comingle like that!

FWIW, I had no problems at all with the game on my 965M, so it certainly doesn't need top-spec hardware for decent performance. No noticeable bug issues either.

I agree with LurkerPrime on the calibre of the game too, it's excellent (though I've loved pretty much every 'core' XCOM/X-COM game throughout its history).

You've sold me on the quality of the game, I just have to come to terms with dropping £18 on it.

Khronico

It's cool to see some folks here giving Homefront the Revolution a try during the free weekend.

It definitely has some problems but it was a solid Far Cry-like game. Enjoyed it immensely when I played it a month ago on PS4.

BUY STEINS;GATE

I'd be posting more about games, but the combination of little free time and my current graphics card not being sufficient for so many of my games means that I'm really only playing Poker Night 2 and Rock Band 4 nowadays.

Vampire is legit. I'm tempted to try a new class once I'm done with my first playthrough.

I'm gonna give this game a shot when I feel I have the time. I'm craving an RPG, and I lost my Witcher 1 and Mass Effect 1 save files with my motherboard.

Jawmuncher

It's cool to see some folks here giving Homefront the Revolution a try during the free weekend.

It definitely has some problems but it was a solid Far Cry-like game. Enjoyed it immensely when I played it a month ago on PS4.

BUY STEINS;GATE

No try here. By the time I would have downloaded it. The free weekend would be over.

Nzyme32

Toma:

PandaPedinte:

afternoon delight:

It's pounced to the top of my wishlist purely for the combo of FTL, Xcom and having some semblance of story in there.

Arthea

you guys are funny
There is less shitposting because this thread is half dead, like in activity is all time low dead.

In other news: I wouldn't call Sekwere a puzzle game, I might even call it not a game, and I don't do that lightly.

OTOH Blockwick 2 is not bad, not bad at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom