• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Humble Store trolling or what? Not a great deal for Battleborn...

fvhbIyl.png

And Woven has a kickstarter and a demo on Steam:

Momentary

Banned
OH man, that PC bait thread really got people going. It's best to stay out of that one. Lots of hatefulness and stupidty coming from all sides.

Grief.exe

Didn't realize Mankind Divided was getting so thrashed in Steam reviews

Microtransactions brings on the delusional hordes.

I thought that's what it was too, but apparently lots of people seem to not like the story/end of the game.

'Bad performance' - I don't own the game, but from my understanding the game does have some bugs, but also has some performance heavy settings. Majority of people complaining about the latter, are likely those people that set everything to max and then wonder why they have performance problems.
'Microtransactions' - Seems like a non-issue due to their implementation.
'Ending' - I don't know if people remember, but Human Revolution ended similarly to Mass Effect 3. It's difficult to end a long game in a satisfying way.

Anteater

I think Michonne is interesting so far, i'm in the 2nd ep and the game pushed you to make more negative choices than what you usually get with these sort of games where you're either neutral or a good guy, the bad choices are usually "be a dick" in these games which isn't really the case here

Kudo

game doesn't run maxed out on my computer at 60fps

shit port

My feelings exactly. Got brand new GTX 1070 and week later it's electronic waste, thanks Deus Ex.

The ending is actually pretty bad though, and felt like the game was just beginning.

Grief.exe

Sales for it don't seem to be too hot either.

Maybe its time to reboot the series?

Get rid of that crappy Jensen character.

Based on what context? The game seems to be doing well compared to historical numbers from the first game. Steamspy wasn't around back then, but the game sold 2 million copies over three platforms through its first month.

Selling ~400,000 copies up front seems to be keeping pace, if not surpassing the early sales of the first game.

The biggest fans of Eidos Montreal's sci-fi FPS were by far its European customers, with American sales figures coming in significantly lower than those of PAL territories. Square Enix reports 1.38 million sales for Human Revolution in Europe, compared to only 800,000 in North America. Japanese sales figures aren't included in the report, which includes figures up until the end of September (the game didn't launch until late October in Japan).

Regginator

My feelings exactly. Got brand new GTX 1070 and week later it's electronic waste, thanks Deus Ex.

The ending is actually pretty bad though, and felt like the game was just beginning.

The ending is actually pretty good, meaning it sets some things in motion. It starts amazing as well. It's just that the majority in between is very uninteresting and not very Deus Ex-like. By the time the story finally grabs some hold of you with (
GARM Switzerland
) and the last level (
APEX London
), you're greeted with an insulting "YOU'VE UNLOCKED NEW GAME PLUS!! PLEASE BE EXCITED" pop-up.

It's my GOTY so far. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If only the main story overall was on par with the great visual design and excellent level design, I think this would have been my game of the generation SO FAR, no doubt.

Kudo

The ending is actually pretty good, meaning it sets some things in motion. It starts amazing as well. It's just that the majority in between is very uninteresting and not very Deus Ex-like. By the time the story finally grabs some hold of you with (
GARM Switzerland
) and the last level (
APEX London
), you're greeted with an insulting "YOU'VE UNLOCKED NEW GAME+!!" pop-up.

It's my GOTY so far. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If only the story overall was on par with the great visual design and excellent level design, I think this would have been my game of the gen, no doubt.

I thought the
news was just really cheap and lame, the secret bit during credits was nice touch though.
Do agree that the game was really fun, I hope the DLCs are as good and that they're working on sequel.

yuraya

Based on what context? The game seems to be doing well compared to historical numbers from the first game. Steamspy wasn't around back then, but the game sold 2 million copies over three platforms through its first month.

Selling ~400,000 copies up front seems to be keeping pace, if not surpassing the early sales of the first game.

I wasn't just talking about pc sales.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274344&

Seems to be underperforming on consoles.

Ludens

Banned
Wow, performances for Michonne Episode 3 are...awful.
The game for me like freezed for a whole minute, I was manually closing it when it started running again. One loading point around the end of the game is like 80 seconds long. I wonder how this game runs on Ps3.

Also the final time for the whole game is 3.4 hours, awful if you consider it's 15€ and there's barely a gameplay here. I mean, at least in walking simulators or games like Abzu you need to explore, here it's an onrail experience with zero freedom.

Another interesting thing to note:

-Walking Dead Season 1 was 15 hours for me, by reading Steam play time (it also includes 400 days).
-Walking Dead Season 2 was 8 hours.
-Walking Dead Michonne was 3.4 hours.
-Games of Thrones was 10 hours (but there were six episodes and not five)
-Tales from the Borderlands was 10 hours too.

And this excluding Sam & Max games, since they were around 3-4 hours for each episode.

it runs fine for me (yeah i have a 1060 gtx, but at 2880x1620@60fps, it should be fine at lower hardware), maybe I'm just lucky with these games :0

970 with 16gb of Ram here, but for a game like this, it's clear TT didn't optimize it at all, it should run on a potatoe, considering the engine is still the one from Sam & Max (only Batman has the "new" engine and we already read about it...)

Does anyone have a high quality Steam pic (logo or whatever) I can use for my PC lockscreen?

I'm taking my PC to a Mac/PS4 user friend's house and I want to boot into Big Picture for a nice impression.

no gaben please

Anteater

The game for me liked freezed for a whole minute, I was manually closing it when it started running again. One loading point around the end of the game is like 80 seconds long. I wonder how this game runs on Ps3.

it runs fine for me (yeah i have a 1060 gtx, but at 2880x1620@60fps, it should be fine at lower hardware), maybe I'm just lucky with these games :0

Grief.exe

I wasn't just talking about pc sales.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274344&

Seems to be underperforming on consoles.

Just sticking to the PC demographic here as discussing console sales is a whole other beast entirely.

Seems to have positive returns on PC so far.

The game for me liked freezed for a whole minute, I was manually closing it when it started running again. One loading point around the end of the game is like 80 seconds long. I wonder how this game runs on Ps3.

It's the Telltale Engine, doesn't perform well anywhere.

Does anyone have a high quality Steam pic (logo or whatever) I can use for my PC lockscreen?

I'm taking my PC to a Mac/PS4 user friend's house and I want to boot into Big Picture for a nice impression.

no gaben please

I recommend turning your lockscreen off. I turned mine off a long time ago and it makes for a much easier user experience on boot and you can still manually lock the screen (win + L) on command.

MUnited83

For you.
Homefront is actually alright, I enjoyed what I played through the weekend. A shame that it released in a semi-broken state, really nesses uo the perfection of the game. Publisher really need to learn to not rush things and let devs polish as much as they can before release. A bad launch can fuck up a game completely.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just finished Homefront: The Revolution's single player campaign. The game was pretty cool - it's like Far Cry without the sex, drugs, or exotic locale. Lots of stuff to collect and see and do. It was definitely worth playing for free, and I think I could easily recommend it for $20. $24 might be a bit of a stretch though. I am kinda disappointed with the inclusion of all the multiplayer achievements, that's always a shame. I unlocked 25/50 although there are about 10 more that are single player that would take a much more significant time investment.

Ludens

Banned
I just finished Homefront: The Revolution's single player campaign. The game was pretty cool - it's like Far Cry without the sex, drugs, or exotic locale. Lots of stuff to collect and see and do. It was definitely worth playing for free, and I think I could easily recommend it for $20. $24 might be a bit of a stretch though. I am kinda disappointed with the inclusion of all the multiplayer achievements, that's always a shame. I unlocked 25/50 although there are about 10 more that are single player that would take a much more significant time investment.

Am I the only idiot who got the game bugged in the first 100% bar you need to fill in order to progress?

Mivey

Just finished Castle of Illusion. Such an uninteresting game, like someone took the most generic things about NES sidescrollers and put Mickey Mouse in it. Honestly, nothing of value is lost if this thing never resurfaces again on Steam.

cyba89

It's so lame to barely have time to play the weekend after Ace Attorney 6 and Steins.gate PC released. Haven't even finished the first case in AA6. :(

Momentary

Banned
Jesus man Mad Max on PC is a proficiency/performance marvel. Whatever wizards over at Avalanche that worked on this port need to work on more PC ports.

Game is running around 65-80 fps @ 5K MAXed out. I just don't know how.

MUnited83

For you.
Yes I did all the activities and I kept doing them for 40 minutes, the bar got stuck on 91% and won't progress, I quitted the game, booted again and nothing. So I uninstalled it.
I see. I was stuck at 95℅ and it wouldnt increase more when saving people or destroying the machines. It turned out I needed to take over a outposts that was a bit behind the main area.

Monooboe

Jesus man Mad Max on PC is a proficiency/performance marvel. Whatever wizards over at Avalanche that worked on this port need to work on more PC ports.

Game is running around 65-80 fps @ 5K MAXed out. I just don't know how.

Yeah I often wondered that, just how they were making it run so well. Sure it's in the desert but damn does it look great. Performe aside, I'm also impressed that they managed to make varied types of areas.

Anteater

970 with 16gb of Ram here, but for a game like this, it's clear TT didn't optimize it at all, it should run on a potatoe, considering the engine is still the one from Sam & Max (only Batman has the "new" engine and we already read about it...)

yeah, it shouldn't run that bad on a 970, game's engine is probably just weird/bad

it's probably has problems but I've ran all their games with my 760gtx and 1060gtx at 2880x1620 so far without flaws :p

Uzzy

Speaking of endings, I just finished Witcha 3. Thanks to José for ruining my weekend and giving me that final push to get it done!

Just have the two expansions to play through now, what a treat.

Jawmuncher

You know I never have issues with Telltale games on PC. They seem to run fine for me and since I use a controller, the prompts are never an issue. It's still outdated even with Batman, but I can see why they're still able to get mileage out of it. Obviously it could be better though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The multiplayer stuff is definitely a bit grindy. I played an hour or so with randoms on Saturday morning and even in the easy missions there seemed to be some difficulty spikes for low level players. Beating a mission on hard will definitely require 4 decently leveled players with solid gear. The citations are going to take some time too.

The game for me like freezed for a whole minute, I was manually closing it when it started running again. One loading point around the end of the game is like 80 seconds long. I wonder how this game runs on Ps3.

Also the final time for the whole game is 3.4 hours, awful if you consider it's 15€ and there's barely a gameplay here. I mean, at least in walking simulators or games like Abzu you need to explore, here it's an onrail experience with zero freedom.

Another interesting thing to note:

-Walking Dead Season 1 was 15 hours for me, by reading Steam play time (it also includes 400 days).
-Walking Dead Season 2 was 8 hours.
-Walking Dead Michonne was 3.4 hours.
-Games of Thrones was 10 hours (but there were six episodes and not five)
-Tales from the Borderlands was 10 hours too.

And this excluding Sam & Max games, since they were around 3-4 hours for each episode.

Huh. I got two instances of twenty second freezes while playing TWD: Michonne Ep 3. I just assumed it was my computer dying, didn't think that TellTale's engine was that awful.

My playtimes are a bit longer than yours, but either way TWD: S1 has an edge because it was still straddling the line between adventure game and cinematic adventure game. Like, it's the only one that had extended segments of just "wandering around" where you could do more than talk to a few people and automatically proceed into the next scene.

Just played about an hour and a half of The Evil Within and so far it feels like an RE4 clone. Did people just hate it on release because of technical issues or something?

The story is dumb and is only explained in the DLC, but pretty much everything else in that game is superb. Resident Evil 4 refined. It's also surprisingly hard. The hatred for the black bars was ridiculous too, I posted somewhere on GAF how the game is brilliantly designed around the black bars being in and removing them not only reduces the challenge but also makes the games secrets and traps way more obvious.

Just sticking to the PC demographic here as discussing console sales is a whole other beast entirely.

Seems to have positive returns on PC so far.

I recommend turning your lockscreen off. I turned mine off a long time ago and it makes for a much easier user experience on boot and you can still manually lock the screen (win + L) on command.

You don't even do an initial log in?

Jawmuncher

Just played about an hour and a half of The Evil Within and so far it feels like an RE4 clone. Did people just hate it on release because of technical issues or something?

I feel like the game was Mikami just throwing way too many ingredients in one pot. There's so many ideas there, that to me nothing ever comes off as fully done. It has it's moments and is a decent game for 20 or less USD. But I expect more from Mikami than just decent. A big part was the story is fucking trash. Maybe that gets a bit better with the DLC I have yet to play. But I didn't care about any of the characters, or the motivation of getting to the end and stopping the bad guy. RE1 and DC didn't have that issue. The characters left an impression and were likeable from the get go. I don't even remember the name of any character in The Evil Within. But as you can see the game is rather divided. Some love it completely, some love it by looking past the flaws, some think it's ok (my camp), and other's just hate it.

If you make a thread on gaming side about it, you'll see.

Ludens

Banned
I feel like the game was Mikami just throwing way too many ingredients in one pot. There's so many ideas there, that to me nothing ever comes off as fully done. It has it's moments and is a decent game for 20 or less USD. But I expect more from Mikami than just decent. A big part was the story is fucking trash. Maybe that gets a bit better with the DLC I have yet to play. But I didn't care about any of the characters, or the motivation of getting to the end and stopping the bad guy. RE1 and DC didn't have that issue. The characters left an impression and were likeable from the get go. I don't even remember the name of any character in The Evil Within. But as you can see the game is rather divided. Some love it completely, some love it by looking past the flaws, some think it's ok (my camp), and other's just hate it.

If you make a thread on gaming side about it, you'll see.
I really liked Evil Within, for sure one of the best survival horror of the mid-gen. The only thing I didn't like it was I had zero fear when playing it. That was a bummer for a survival horror, but level design, characters and gameplay were great.

I see. I was stuck at 95℅ and it wouldnt increase more when saving people or destroying the machines. It turned out I needed to take over a outposts that was a bit behind the main area.

Dunno, as I wrote I interacted with literally every icon on the map, including vehicles to destroy, outposts etc, but it was simply stuck :S

Jawmuncher

I really liked Evil Within, for sure one of the best survival horror of the mid-gen. The only thing I didn't like it was I had zero fear when playing it. That was a bummer for a survival horror, but level design, characters and gameplay were great.

Then is it really survival-horror? I know horror and all that is subjective. But I don't think any big budget horror games can be classified as Survival horror. When you have that much action, I just don't think it's possible.

Really it's the survival part that ends up being argued. Since difficulty can vastly influence that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom