• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Completed Abzu today and Doom yesterday.

Abzu was great stuff, beautiful designed. Will rerun in the future for more achievements.

DOOM is one of the best FPSes Ive played in a few years alongside with Wolfenstein. Loved the fast-paced gameplay, design, weapons, enemies. It made me love FPS games again. Also having lots of fun in MP. Hoping for a sequel with the same gameplay. Will rerun this too in the future for more achievements. Super fun and great overall.

Also having lots of fun these days with Halo 5: Forge. Discord made it easier to create customs games.

Ludens

Banned
Then is it really survival-horror? I know horror and all that is subjective. But I don't think any big budget horror games can be classified as Survival horror. When you have that much action, I just don't think it's possible.

Really it's the survival part that ends up being argued. Since difficulty can vastly influence that as well.

Good question, because for me even checkpoints make a "survival" not so survival. Initially when I saw checkpoints on The Evil Within I was bummed, because for me survival horror=manual save, but later I saw ok with that...even if it break the tension. But considering there are a LOT of insta-death traps in the game, reloading a manual save because you died against something you didn't know was here is a bit disappointing, so they did the right thing on putting checkpoints.

Regginator

I thought the
news was just really cheap and lame, the secret bit during credits was nice touch though.
Do agree that the game was really fun, I hope the DLCs are as good and that they're working on sequel.

I don't even consider that as the ending to be honest, just a pre-post credit scene if that makes any sense. The conversation of the
Illuminati Council
regarding Jensen and how
they're using him to get to Janus
is what I think is the high note of the ending.

I'm not even going to bother with the DLC from a narrative point of view, especially since it's already been confirmed the DLC stories won't be relevant to the main story. Just self-contained stories.

Seeing as how they basically cut DXMD in half in terms of main story, I'd be pretty fucking pissed at Square if there isn't a sequel in the next ~3 years, but the lacklustre DXMD sales are rather worrying.

Kudo

Good question, because for me even checkpoints make a "survival" not so survival. Initially when I saw checkpoints on The Evil Within I was bummed, because for me survival horror=manual save, but later I saw ok with that...even if it break the tension. But considering there are a LOT of insta-death traps in the game, reloading a manual save because you died against something you didn't know was here is a bit disappointing, so they did the right thing on putting checkpoints.

Going little off-topic here but I've noticed bad trend with myself how checkpoints in games have completely killed my sense to do manual saves every now and then, completely rely on autosave with most of the games. I did manual saves with Xcom 2 cause I savescummed in it, but with Witcher 3 I'm now noticing if the game doesn't save for me and I die I have to start from the latest autosave which is normally 10 minutes back, good thing they have feature to actually adjust the autosave time in it.

I don't even consider that as the ending to be honest, just a pre-post credit scene if that makes any sense. The conversation of the
Illuminati Council
regarding Jensen and how
they're using him to get to Janus
is what I think is the high note of the ending.

I'm not even going to bother with the DLC from a narrative point of view, especially since it's already been confirmed the DLC stories won't be relevant to the main story. Just self-contained stories.

Seeing as how they basically cut DXMD in half in terms of main story, I'd be pretty fucking pissed at Square if there isn't a sequel in the next ~3 years, but the lacklustre DXMD sales are rather worrying.

Oh, I thought the DLCs would have been some expansions as there's still so much left open in the story but more side quests doesn't really get me hyped either, might check them out either way but I haven't even finished the pre-order mission yet.
Hopefully the game starts selling more once it goes on sale or something, it definitely would be sad to see Deus Ex end here.

Jesus man Mad Max on PC is a proficiency/performance marvel. Whatever wizards over at Avalanche that worked on this port need to work on more PC ports.

Game is running around 65-80 fps @ 5K MAXed out. I just don't know how.

Yeah it really is a technical marvel, looks fantastic and runs so well. I wish that Avalanche team gave the Avalanche Just Cause 3 team some pointers on their PC version.

Jawmuncher

Yeah it really is a technical marvel, looks fantastic and runs so well. I wish that Avalanche team gave the Avalanche Just Cause 3 team some pointers on their PC version.

It's so weird how both games are from the same devs and the ports are vastly different.
I really wonder what happened with JC3.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's so weird how both games are from the same devs and the ports are vastly different.
I really wonder what happened with JC3.

Avalanche is actually two studios these days. The US branch developed Just Cause 3 while the original, Sweden-based studio developed Mad Max.

I played the Sapienza mission in Hitman today. It's really good. The map is an open world hub kind of place set in an idyllic Italian coastal town. There's a big mansion surrounded by a plaza, shops, cobbled roads, apartments and a beach/pier. For those who have played Mankind Divided, I'd say the map is about the size of the upper section in Prague. Your two assassination targets are inside the mansion and once you've killed them, you have to infiltrate this James Bond style underground bio weapons lab below the mansion to destroy a deadly virus before you escape. The entire mission plays out like a segment from a movie and there are some truly hilarious and interesting ways to get rid of your targets. I can tell I'm going to get a lot of play time out of this map.

I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but if you are at all interested in Hitman you should look into this game. If you already bought it and haven't played it for some reason, give it a go. It's really, really good.

Anteater

Finished The Walking Dead Michonne, I liked it, I think it's a good short story for 3.7 bucks

Ending Spoilers:
Sam died in my game because I wanted to kill myself, I hugged my kids and Sam stayed behind to get me out, can Sam be saved? I liked Sam

Game is pretty good looking

walkingdeadmichonne_24lrk8.jpg
walkingdeadmichonne_200qcv.jpg

MadGear

Had some fun with Halo 5 today but sadly that game is running rather poorly on my PC (4770k, 8GB, 780). Even with every setting set to its lowest and the resolution down to 720 the game still won't run without the occasional drop in framerate on an empty map (I'm not measuring it, but its obvious enough to feel). I'm not too optimistic that there will be further optimizations for this game but I'd like to think that the game could perform better on my machine.
Either way, I'm already looking forward to Halo 6 on PC. I just really wish Microsofts high profile games would release on Steam as well because my friends absolutely do not want to use the windows store.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The people in that thread were being abusive, which is why it was locked with a message that their posts were embarrassing. We have women on our staff, we are sensitive to the shit that women get on GAF from horny jerks. We don't support those kinds of posts. I can't remember if anyone got banned, but I think we deleted a few posts at least. I don't think that justifies getting down in the dirt and being even more insulting in response. The whole situation is very disappointing all around.

kagamin

Had some fun with Halo 5 today but sadly that game is running rather poorly on my PC (4770k, 8GB, 780). Even with every setting set to its lowest and the resolution down to 720 the game still won't run without the occasional drop in framerate on an empty map (I'm not measuring it, but its obvious enough to feel). I'm not too optimistic that there will be further optimizations for this game but I'd like to think that the game could perform better on my machine.
Either way, I'm already looking forward to Halo 6 on PC. I just really wish Microsofts high profile games would release on Steam as well because my friends absolutely do not want to use the windows store.

The game doesn't run great on my i5-4690k, 16GB RAM, 960 2GB on certain maps and it just bothers me, even on low, I don't know if its on my end or optimization issues.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Henry Swanson:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

faviconuvuwz.png
The Walking Dead Michonne (Telltale) -- MB-07B5E2B824CBCA00 - Taken by PAUonePUNCH. 1 entrants total.

t1473624311z1.png

Telltale key.

Wait, doesn't gaf hate g2a? And breast are probably well liked here.o_O

I little bit too well liked perhaps. There was also a Nintendo stream thread that devolved into howling madness because one of the presenters on-screen had a big bust. And then afterwards you had people trying to justify the behavior:
Oh c'mon, I'm not even into big breasts, but a girl with double-D wearing a tight T-shirt...nature/god creates some things with a purpose, you know.
I've seen so many hereosexual women in my life having their eyes glued to other women's assets...but I'm not in the mood to discuss this stuff on Gaf anymore.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I6U9z6t.png

She is not wrong

The people in that thread were being abusive, which is why it was locked with a message that their posts were embarrassing. We have women on our staff, we are sensitive to the shit that women get on GAF from horny jerks. We don't support those kinds of posts. I can't remember if anyone got banned, but I think we deleted a few posts at least. I don't think that justifies getting down in the dirt and being even more insulting in response. The whole situation is very disappointing all around.

That topic was the most disappointed I've been in my fellow GAF'ers in a while, I agree. I think it was a mixture of multiple things coming together; some people feel apprehensive of posts with videos of YouTubers, some have some twisted view of woman being public in the gaming scene, some associated with 'boob streamers' and criticized her for incredibly superficial things, some people are just jealous at the success of others doing this and lash out whenever it arises. That and probably some other things made that topic go in a very ugh direction, and the worst part was how almost everyone who posted in the topic was contributing to that. Was embarrassing to read for me.

I'm really hoping some people start realizing what they're doing or what they're saying, the lack of self-awareness in some of the replies was baffling, "Oh, I'm not sexist, but how she's dressed..." >Commences to only ridicule her and how she's dressed.

Finished The Walking Dead Michonne, I liked it, I think it's a good short story for 3.7 bucks

Ending Spoilers:
Sam died in my game because I wanted to kill myself, I hugged my kids and Sam stayed behind to get me out, can Sam be saved? I liked Sam

Game is pretty good looking

Spoiler response:
The other option, leaving the fire, will have Sam survive.

Also, your post made me realise that my complaining earlier about getting the wrong ending for my choice is itself ALL WRONG. I was confusing Paige with Sam, so when Paige showed up in the epilogue I thought it was the wrong one... I legit forgot that Sam existed. Dammit; I made a negative review and everything. I guess I'll keep it up as my legacy.

My brain pls.

Grief.exe

Something I learned from that, apparently sickening, g2a thread but I didn't get past the first post.

Apparently G2A shield has a ongoing subcription tied to it, time to check your Paypals if you have ever dealt with them. I know I bought a Duke Nukem Forever key from them because it was delisted.

You know a site is crap when they offer you protection on not getting a key you order, which has a hidden fee every month on your credit card/paypal (g2a shield). Screw streamers/youtubers who advertise that site

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well, according to my thread I made a long while ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116502), there's the obvious vocal minority with the "I buy the cheapest games I don't care where they come from" that's rather rampart in many threads.

I know it's not up to me to dictate user purchases and it shouldn't bother me, but the people who would nickel and dime and cut all costs to support shady businesses because, "I win since I get games uber cheap and am not a fool since I barely spend a thing!!1!", even if it's obtained through shady methods and doesn't support the actual people who made the game, bugs me way more than it should. I guess a pet peeve of mine.

Ozium

how is the mankind divided ending bad?

-spend the game investigating who bombed the train station
-do missions that slowly uncover the truth about who bombed the train station
-confront the person who bombed the train station
-the end

the only reason people say it's 'a bad ending' is because they didn't have to fight some shitty boss fight ever 3-4 missions like in HR

I'm really hoping some people start realizing what they're doing or what they're saying, the lack of self-awareness in some of the replies was baffling, "Oh, I'm not sexist, but how she's dressed..." >Commences to only ridicule her and how she's dressed.

I think the people have problems with the "boob streamers" and associates that streamer with those.

Also trying to point out a real problem while wearing revealing clothes might not be the best approach to point out that problem because of the people just talking about her breasts instead of G2As bad practices.
I mean I could do a video of my wife, show her perfect ass and talk about tax evasion problems of Apple and co.
Or me and my perfect abs and talk about the problem of the German movie scene.

Kaleinc

Banned
I think the people have problems with the "boob streamers" and associates that streamer with those.

Also trying to point out a real problem while wearing revealing clothes might not be the best approach to point out that problem because of the people just talking about her breasts instead of G2As bad practices.
I mean I could do a video of my wife, show her perfect ass and talk about tax evasion problems of Apple and co.
I'm ready for tax evasion lecture.

Yeah that g2a thread was pretty embarrassing.

The thing is, that in my opinion you can criticise a person doing a serious report about a serious issue focusing on something else (though from reading it it seems to actually be a satire about those boob streamers).
And then you had those:

"Yummy boobs!"
"Wow! these are huge! damn" etc.

I'm ready for tax evasion lecture.

These are only for me, while I tell her why Uwe Boll is a bad film maker, but still makes entertaining movies.

Annubis

Yeah, this pretty much says my thoughts on it.
There isn't anything wrong with it and people are free to develop content how to choose to, but I'm not a fan of this approach.
Anyhow, I already knew that G2A is shady so I don't really need to watch the entire video to learn about it.

mp1990

Banned
Topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276638

Though warned, it's cringey. And know several posts were deleted, as Stumpokapow said on the last page

Threads like this are the reason I'll never be a GAF mode. I don't have the emotional control to not outright ban half of these moronic replies.

As progressive as OT can be now and then, gaming side really has trouble shaking the traditional gamer stereotypes. That thread was disgusting but it's pretty funny in a way because kaceytron did (or still does) play a character in her twitch streams. People that don't know she's not actually like that are shocked whenever she guests on press heart or other gaming talk shows.

I feel like people who think that GAF is a liberal haven, both on gaming and OT side, don't actually read this forum. We have more bad apples than most people assume.

Volimar

As progressive as OT can be now and then, gaming side really has trouble shaking the traditional gamer stereotypes. That thread was disgusting but it's pretty funny in a way because kaceytron did (or still does) play a character in her twitch streams. People that don't know she's not actually like that are shocked whenever she guests on press heart or other gaming talk shows.

Annubis

Yeah but part of playing a character is acknowledging that some people won't see past the facade. You can't really fault people either for this because for some, the only way they see the person is when seeing the character they play and never their true self.

Corpekata

Banned
Pretty much any thread about female streamers is a shitshow no matter the context. It's always full of people that were like butthurt about Olivia Munn 10 years ago or something and now just shriek in rage about any remotely attractive women related to gaming.

Annubis

I wonder how far emulation on xenia has come after about a year now, if only I had a comparison for this video (warning this is pretty scary :p).

Man, I really want some group to translate the Idolmaster games.
I could probably manage it with my bad knowledge of Japanese but there are too many timed questions/events which would be impossible for me to read in a timely manner (I mean, I'd need a dictionary nearby... so really slow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom