• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daymare: 1998 announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94UmsRLR6Q
"Daymare: 1998 is a third person survival horror game with over the shoulder camera, developed in Unreal Engine 4 for Windows PC. The game features high-end graphics, original soundtrack, immersive atmosphere, hardcore survival mechanics and many connections with the beloved old school survival horror games and '90s landmark brands."

In happier news, three days until Divinity: Original Sin 2 changes the world forever.
As a PC game dev that just got out of the industry I can say "Fuck yes" to that one. The vast majority of keys on these key reselling sites are stolen or otherwise not legitimate. And yes, we know the keys are stolen for reasons I will explain below. Fraud is a huge issue that costs developers of all sizes a lot of money and these key reselling sites are currently the #1 place the fraudulent charges come from.

How does a developer know a key is stolen? Because the credit card companies will let us know with both an invoice and when a credit card chargeback happens not only does the developer lose the money from the sale but the devs are also charged a penalty from the credit card company for "allowing" the fraud to occur in the first place.

I worked on a AAA online PC game and our fraud penalties just from credit card companies was in the millions of dollars per month. Brainstorming solutions to try and stop these thieves was a big concern and yes, time and money was diverted from developing improvements to the actual game because the fraud was costing us so much money.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't buy from G2A and similar places but know it does have a very real cost to developers and in turn how fast you, the consumer, get updates/improvements/new stuff. Maybe you say, "Fuck 'em, fraud's their problem" but it's also your problem when they have to address this gaping fraud hole that's bleeding out at an alarming rate.

That's just covering straight-up stolen keys. There are other issues where these sites can get a hold of keys in such a way that the developer isn't paid for them. We once had an issue with Green Man Gaming keys. They were getting keys that we (the devs) weren't being paid for, which we thought was odd since we had given them a bunch. It turns out that our game was so popular that they rapidly ran out of the keys we generated for them and one of the foreign branches of our publisher was generating thousands of "promo keys" of our game and selling them to GMG. When we figured out what was going on and reported it to the main branch, the publisher put a stop to it but we were never compensated for the "promo keys". This wasn't GMG's fault, and I'm not blaming GMG as how were they to know, but the devs still got fucked in the end.

What it comes down to is if you want to support a developer, buy from Steam or GOG, even on a 90% off sale. If you just want the cheapest price, period, keep buying from G2A and the like but know that the developer is very likely not seeing a single cent of your money.

That's not how keys are generated. They aren't generated on-demand on a per-purchase basis, there's no infrastructure in place to do that. They are typically generated in giant batches and we hand them off to legit storefronts, then when the storefront gets low on keys they notify the devs and the devs generate more and send another batch. Also they typically only come in 2 flavors, retail keys and promo keys. So no, there's no way to "track" the source of the key. If your key purchased from G2A gets deactivated on steam, that's all steam's doing once they are notified of the fraudulent charge.

Also, when you get the invoice from the CC company it doesn't give you any identifying information for the victim. It doesn't say "Bob Smith's Card # 14593251423 had a fraudulent charge". It tells you the date and source of the fraud. So you know it's say, a stolen Steam key. What I'm saying is devs can't know that a specific key was specifically sold on G2A but it's not hard to figure out in a general sense where the theft is coming from.

Just wanna say thanks for the insight. Like, I knew that the video game black market was bad but I didn't realise it was millions of dollars a month for one developer bad...

And as an aside, the public defense reselling sites, particularly G2A, get in spite of all the evidence to the contrary--even now--boggles my mind. It is yet another testament to the power of greed... or perhaps, the unshakable naiveté of consumers.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
was this already posted?

IndieGala - Monday Motivation Bundle #5

Pay $1 for:

Polyology
The Return Home
Conclusion

Pay $2.99 to also get:

Sandmason
Shift
Sneak Thief
In Celebration of Violence
Reptilian Rebellion
Chill the Piro
Occurrence at JCR Outpost
Parallels

WVRzsX5.png

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

Oh wow I didn't realize that it comes out so soon. Well, early access. I'll probably wait for impressions though to see if it's worth jumping in or waiting for 1.0

It'll be the first act (or map or something?) similar to how Divinity: Original Sin 1's Early Access was set up. Only thing not making it in of that content, AFAIK, is the Undead Origin, which seems pretty special compared to the others--and not just because it's written by Chris Avellone.

Levyne

Banned
It'll be the first act (or map or something?) similar to how Divinity: Original Sin 1's Early Access was set up. Only thing not making it in of that content, AFAIK, is the Undead Origin, which seems pretty special compared to the others--and not just because it's written by Chris Avellone.

Ah. I'll probably just wait.

To be honest I didn't really know D:OS had an early access, just knew about the kickstarter.

AHA-Lambda

Do I need painkiller black if I already have
hell and damnation
overdose

From what I'm aware of the titles I'd say yes. Black is considered the best, whereas HD is like a remake of Black but with missing content.

Every other titles is apparently trash

Werd

Do you know if saves will carry over into the full release? First was one of my favorite games I've played on Steam so I might make an exception and buy it at full price, but probably don't want to end up having to replay 20 hours.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Dino Crisis and Onimusha Not forgotten"

"2010"

Jawmuncher's been hanging on to that sliver of hope for a long time now

Daymare: 1998 announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94UmsRLR6Q
"Daymare: 1998 is a third person survival horror game with over the shoulder camera, developed in Unreal Engine 4 for Windows PC. The game features high-end graphics, original soundtrack, immersive atmosphere, hardcore survival mechanics and many connections with the beloved old school survival horror games and '90s landmark brands."

Sounds interesting, but is the main character wearing a gimp suit?

Halcyon seems interesting. Is it like a FTL+Starbound mix or what?

FTL with more management stuff and JRPG combat is what I recall reading. Haven't played it, though.
Saw this wonderful gem in my Steam Library

"Recent News"

"Dino Crisis and Onimusha Not forgotten"

"2010"

IAQqqXW.png

eQftQCo.gif

On the bright side, at least the recent news pertains to the game. Feels like a lot of games get clogged up with completely unrelated news.
Do you know if saves will carry over into the full release? First was one of my favorite games I've played on Steam so I might make an exception and buy it at full price, but probably don't want to end up having to replay 20 hours.

I don't think they've said either way, but I seriously doubt it. There will be balance changes, suggestions added, and the eventual full release content, not to mention the Undead Origin.

Amzin

In happier news, three days until Divinity: Original Sin 2 changes the world forever.

Just wanna say thanks for the insight. Like, I knew that the video game black market was bad but I didn't realise it was millions of dollars a month for one developer bad...

And as an aside, the public defense reselling sites, particularly G2A, get in spite of all the evidence to the contrary--even now--boggles my mind. It is yet another testament to the power of greed... or perhaps, the unshakable naiveté of consumers.

It's the double whammy of the devs not getting paid for the key AND paying fees for fraud related issues. Chances are the devs would be better off if G2A buyers just pirated the game, which tells you something right there.

Werd

Oh yeah, played some Stronghold Crusader HD this weekend on a whim after picking it up in a bundle a couple years ago. Had never played the series before, was surprised at how relatively in depth the management was.. having to make a wheat farm, mill and bakery to produce some bread. Haven't gotten to the really large scale battles yet but I think it holds up pretty well so far, fun game worth a shot if you similarly have had it in your library untouched.

I don't think they've said either way, but I seriously doubt it. There will be balance changes, suggestions added, and the eventual full release content, not to mention the Undead Origin.

Makes sense. Though I suppose playing the Origins might be worthwhile, choose what I want for the release. Anyway had no idea it was coming out so soon, cool. Will check out some streams or such at least.

finally finished Mad Max took me about 50 hours. I originally intended to 100% it but about halfway through it just became just too tedious that I could only play the game in short sessions. Then about 3/4 of the way through I got sick of it and said forget it and just finished up the story.

Comfy game but boy does it get really repetitive.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Parsnip, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman: Arkham Knight -- MB-505EC4A0560281C6 - Taken by TheLetdown. 59 entrants total.

t1473708056z1.png

By the way it's sort of funny that Arkham Knight is now by far the best version of the game as most issues have been fixed (still some annoying hitching though) but it's still being regarded as an terrible port (which it was)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I need Shadows of Mordor to just end. There is no skill to the combat once you are powered up, it lacks the enjoyable (for me) rhythm control of Arkham games, and the Nemesis system stopped being engaging once the combat and A.I. differences stopped being interesting to me.

I couldn't even tell you what is going on with the story. It's just names and references that I know nothing about because I only ever enjoyed The Hobbit novel, but it keeps going on, despite the fact it doesn't really seem to affect the story any other than "now you can use this power up", despite the fact I've already learned them.

I've had some fun with it, but I have nothing left to explore and no way to really mix up the game play to make it feel different for me, so it just needs to end now.

I need Shadows of Mordor to just end. There is no skill to the combat once you are powered up, it lacks the enjoyable (for me) rhythm control of Arkham games, and the Nemesis system stopped being engaging once the combat and A.I. differences stopped being interesting to me.

I couldn't even tell you what is going on with the story. It's just names and references that I know nothing about because I only ever enjoyed The Hobbit novel, but it keeps going on, despite the fact it doesn't really seem to affect the story any other than "now you can use this power up", despite the fact I've already learned them.

I've had some fun with it, but I have nothing left to explore and no way to really mix up the game play to make it feel different for me, so it just needs to end now.
The biggest problem with SoM is that they don't leverage the Nemesis System at all. It's just kinda there, always completely divorced from the elements of the game that matter. It would've been so much better as a brutal you-get-one-chance roguelike or something, along with completely jettisoning the story and "story" """missions""". Just something to make the nemeses actually matter.

That said, I kinda want to replay it now. What sort of difficulty options are there now?

...Bah.

Grimalkin

finally finished Mad Max took me about 50 hours. I originally intended to 100% it but about halfway through it just became just too tedious that I could only play the game in short sessions. Then about 3/4 of the way through I got sick of it and said forget it and just finished up the story.

I really enjoyed Mad Max for the first 10 hours.

Then I thought it was still good, but too much filler. It just kept going and going.

And the ending I hated so much that I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone. Not a single redeeming thing about it.

I am a Tolkien fan and I agree with you. The game is too long and there were a few times when the Nemesis system forced me to fail story missions. Had a mission where I had to stay stealthed or else it's an auto-fail. This one dude kept popping up in the same spot in the middle of the mission and running straight at me and forcing combat which removed me from stealth and made me auto-fail. I ended up having to reload from a much earlier save (before I killed that dude the first time).

Yeah, was not a fan of that system at all.

As far as the game's story goes, War in the North had a better story. And if you've played War in the North, you know what I'm implying.

Still, I could at least recommend (with caveats) someone pick Shadow of Mordor up on the cheap if they were interested.

I stopped playing by like 5hr or less, i could see where the game was going and that i'd have to keep doing filler after filler so i just cut my loses and uninstalled it

WTF this Toxikk game seems pretty good !

Only just heard about this (as its got a free version on Steam), its basically a UT clone, but seems like a highly polished one at that. Mouse aim is crazy smooth, performance is rock solid.

Reminds me a little of the UT clones of the original all those years ago, some which were fun, others which were trash, this is one of the fun ones.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I feel like a fool, because I couldn't get past the tutorial in Toxikk because I couldn't manage to get past the wall jump portion.

Multiplayer does feel very UT 2003 though, which is a good thing.

Maniac

Banned
Cool I read it. Here are my thoughts.

How does he know how much $I is? Does he really think the overwhelming amount of keys are stolen?

What he does say and I agree with, is that stolen keys are a huge problem and G2A doesn't know how to fix it but instead taking the easy option and just charging for G2A shield.

The other thing it does say is that if you have a key revoked because its fraudulent (and I believe you need G2A shield as well), you can put in a claim so the thief doesn't get their money. G2A and Kinguin hold money for up to 30 days before releasing it to the seller. Therefore if the thief doesn't get the money, then isn't the problem partially solved? Not the greatest means of deterrent, but its something.

I honestly don't know how you fix it and if G2A or Kinguin go away, another digital marketplace will pop up anyway.
I'll just quickly point out that Shield isn't a one-time fee, it's a subscription, or atleast was when I last read about it. So if you don't uncheck it during checkout, you'll be stuck with something that nabs a few bucks off of your account if you don't keep an eye out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

50h isn't enough to 100% it? Yikes. The game looks ok, but not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom