• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

Steam linking seems to be working now, I have a whole list of people available to invite that have linked uplay to steam. It never used to work for me. Though clicking one at a time is already getting boring.

There is a Steam linking? I only see PSN and Xbox Live

That would fill my empty uplay life :)
My uplay name is same this one or let me know your usernames

I only see Facebook, PSN and Xbox live

I seem to recall you might need to launch the uplay client through a game from steam to get linking to work initially? Then link in the client.

uPlay & Steam linking is actually letting uPlay client to find your Steam friends automatically so you can add them all in one swoop.

Your Steam friends still need to accept your request manually.

Ah gleam the gift that keeps on giving; even in death (well kinda). So a few months ago there was this giveaway of 10,000 keys for EvilMaze. Just been revoked. Account warning in yellow made me really worried I had done something wrong...

Wonder if I'll remain eligible for booster packs.

d00d3n

I get the error message "You must own this product to review it." when I try to review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in Steam. It was pre-purchased through Steam somewhere around mid 2015 (if I remember correctly). Anyone else who pre-purchased really early who has the same issue? It doesn't matter if I access Steam through a web browser or the Steam client. I get the usual fields where I can enter the review text and answer if I would recommend the game, but the error message pops in red when I try to post the review.

I get the error message "You must own this product to review it." when I try to review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in Steam. It was pre-purchased through Steam somewhere around mid 2015 (if I remember correctly). Anyone else who pre-purchased really early who has the same issue? It doesn't matter if I access Steam through a web browser or the Steam client. I get the usual fields where I can enter the review text and answer if I would recommend the game, but the error message pops in red when I try to post the review.

Reviews are buggy atm, probably to do with the new system. Seen at least 3 people not being able to post reviews as steam thinks they developed the game! Maybe give it a few days for it to calm down and try again.

d00d3n

Reviews are buggy atm, probably to do with the new system. Seen at least 3 people not being able to post reviews as steam thinks they developed the game! Maybe give it a few days for it to calm down and try again.

Thanks. I will wait and see then, I guess.

Tizoc

Getting rid of some spares
THESE KEYS MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN USED
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A-gents -- MB-B7CF2D1EB72698AD - Taken by Tellaerin. 1 entrants total.
Super Mega Neo Pug -- MB-9C895FD4E74C0206 - Taken by Santerestil. 1 entrants total.
Link -- MB-7CC90A0866862804 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Rot Gut -- MB-2ABCF004099D4AE4 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 3 entrants total.
Fire -- MB-D24EE190F460F076 - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.

t1473850145z1.png

Hagi

Hoping someone here might have run into this issue before, trying to buy Hitman from GMG but checkout with paypal isn't working for me at all. It's not an issue with the site because i was trying to buy recore from the windows store with paypal as well and the checkout wouldn't let me log in there either. It's weird because I'm entering in the right log in details but it's telling me my email or password are wrong but if i just go to paypal normally and log in it works fine....this is super frustrating.

edit: managed to fix it by turning off shockwave and silverlight

Deques

Spares
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pertinence -- MB-C213ABEEACF87517 - Taken by Vuze
Biology Battle -- MB-AD697CE934704A03 - Taken by voodooray
Star Sky -- MB-05866C0CDB3C2907 - Taken by bobnowhere
Nightside -- MB-31856A61A2FBA9A0 - Taken by Eila
Star Sky 2 -- MB-BE45790CB7150BB9 - Taken by rainking187

Wok

So yesterday, I noticed RIVE was part of a Two Tribes bundle on Steam, which would increase the launch discount and make it match the Humble Store discounted price (including Humble Monthly discount). Today, the bundle has disappeared.

Volcynika

So yesterday, I noticed RIVE was part of a Two Tribes bundle on Steam, which would increase the launch discount and make it match the Humble Store discounted price (including Humble Monthly discount). Today, the bundle has disappeared.

Aw. I saw that and since I owned the other 4 games, it was cheaper to buy the bundle than to buy the individual game. Womp womp.

Tizoc

JaseC I got a few questions
Are the Oddworld games DRM-free on Steam? Namely Abe's Oddysey remake and Munch HD.

Some games for you!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package -- MB-12E8E41487E8A5A1 - Taken by Barajas_201. 3 entrants total.
Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-F77014B7A8129223 - Taken by Costa1774. 10 entrants total.
Saints Row 2 -- MB-E97FFD8AFD69FB4D - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.
Risen -- MB-DC05E3CA104D9EC1 - Taken by PaulSane. 4 entrants total.

t1473938859z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC I got a few questions
Are the Oddworld games DRM-free on Steam? Namely Abe's Oddysey remake and Munch HD.

Stranger's Wrath HD and Munch's Oddysee are, at least.

Edit: Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus aren't. New 'n' Tasty is going to take a little while to install.

Wok

That Mario game is released. The price is 4 €. I am not even sure there is gamepad support.

Thanks lash.

Steamspy dude made a spreadsheet of which games lost the most review rating points after the change. I haven't even heard of the top 30 games on the list but the score manipulation seems fairly obvious.

For example, some game called Lands of Devastation had 166 reviews before the change and has 12 reviews after. And it's score dropped from 86% to 16%. Pretty obvious what's happening here.

Steamspy dude made a spreadsheet of which games lost the most review rating points after the change. I haven't even heard of the top 30 games on the list but the score manipulation seems fairly obvious.

For example, some game called Lands of Devastation had 166 reviews before the change and has 12 reviews after. And it's score dropped from 86% to 16%. Pretty obvious what's happening here.

Seems pretty damning. What do you suppose the reasoning behind the improved scores are? Elves Adventure went from 28 to 80 due to the change. I wonder if it's all just review bombing and if it is, why do people hate Elves Adventure so much?

Seems pretty damning. What do you suppose the reasoning behind the improved scores are? Elves Adventure went from 28 to 80 due to the change. I wonder if it's all just review bombing and if it is, why do people hate Elves Adventure so much?

With regards to Elves Adventure, there are only five reviews left after the update, of which only one is negative. But the positive reviews basically all look like joke reviews. So that would explain the huge disparity.

Wok

Sad to see Fossil Echo and Scrap Garden on that list.

However, it might no be significant actually. Pixel Puzzles Ultimate also appear on the list around the same spot and it is a F2P game, so the key activators were people who played during the beta, more likely to be jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts.

Wow, I just randomly got a VAC ban, how do I go about getting it removed? I didn't hack or anything.
Yikes. Hope it gets sorted out.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278316

I wonder if there is any suit at EA who might have enough common sense to suggest releasing games on Steam and not just Origin. I mean they must understand that there is a much bigger profit potential doing it that way....right? Like much much bigger.
EA has abandoned anything other than the triplest of A whose non-existence on Steam ought to be the "most bearable of diminished sales figures" for them. That's how I guess they think at least. Hope they change someday though.

Interesting.

Wok

Obvious cheaters based on big decrease of review score with minimal share of reviews lost:

MTB Downhill Simulator
MyDream Swift
Cyber Team Manager
The Inverted Evolution
Forestry 2017 - The Simulation
Control Craft 2
Whispers
ALONE IN SPACE

etc.

Sad to see Fossil Echo on that list.

Just because it is on the list, it does not mean that there was any foul play at work. In fact, it is quite a bit misleading to just publish this list without any form of statistical analysis. When you look at such a large number of games, then it is entirely to be expected that such discrepancies would show up by chance, even if we assumed that there was no foul play at all.

Wok

Ucchedavāda;216869305 said:
Just because it is on the list, it does not mean that there was any foul play at work. In fact, it is quite a bit misleading to just publish this list without any form of statistical analysis. When you look at such a large number of games, then it is entirely to be expected that such discrepancies would show up by chance, even if we assumed that there was no foul play at all.

Plus small devs might give keys to family and friends and it is not a thought-out scam going on.

dex3108

And just like that i went from GTX760 to GTX260. I had to postpone purchase of new GPU but i sold one i used (760) so i am now back to my old GPU. Wait for new one will be painful but i guess my PS4 will now get some love XD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If that is the case they would be back to Steam by now after all these years.

But by the fact that they still haven't done so, it should be clear that either:

1. EA is indeed getting more revenue by publishing their games exclusively on Origin
2. EA is consist of a bunch super duper stupid businessmen and should be bankrupt sooner or later

Well, all it suggests is that Origin makes enough money for the platform to support itself, which nobody would disagree with. I really don't think EA's idea of shepherding new users to Origin after introducing them to the franchises by way of sales on Steam has been working out, though.

Wok

I have isolated the strangest changes in that list. For some, it could be explained without a scam. Typically, Puzzle Ultimate, I told before. Or Avernum, I guess Humble bundle buyers did not like it, but Steam purchasers knew what they were buying and enjoyed it more.

dPurC6V.png

Pixieking

Banned
Ucchedavāda;216869305 said:

Yeah, it's pretty irresponsible to just post that list of changes without doing a proper analysis of possible reasons. Case in point:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
Old Userscore 70
New Userscore 64
Score difference 6
# of reviews before 603
# of reviews after 302
Reviews difference 301
Share of reviews lost 49.92%

Its inclusion on the list implies that there was something dodgy about it... Not in the least, and quite the opposite actually, with the developers giving it away for free to people who own all 3 Van Helsing games.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/400170/discussions/0/490125103628159104/
As you might have noticed already, Van Helsing:Final Cut has just been released!
As a reward for our true fans, we are gifting the entire game for those brave adventurers who already own the full Van Helsing trilogy.

To redeem the free game, go to http://neocoregames.com/redeem/ and log in with your account.

Yeah, it's pretty irresponsible to just post that list of changes without doing a proper analysis of possible reasons.

I don't think I'd call it irresponsible. The guy is in the business of collecting and presenting data. How it's interpreted is on the user. We've seen how many times people use Steamspy sales data erroneously because they did not contextualize it properly. The same principle applies here. You have to go through each game on a case by case basis and see if there are any mitigating circumstances that explain potential drops. All he has done is present the data to us in an easily usable manner.

data

I've been playing some Dark Souls 2 SotFS lately and it's really fun. No idea why people say the game is bad. The boss designs are kind of lame, but I haven't gotten to one of the big bosses yet. I like all the areas and the NPCs you find have very popping personalities. I really like that dude with the big ass turquoise sword. There is one thing I really hate about this game though. Enemy placements. It seems like this game's difficulty is mostly from swarming you with enemies. The first forest area you get like 7 enemies on you if you don't lure them out, No Man's Wharf is even worse with enemies hanging off the rails everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom