• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used my long weekend to play the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen expansion. While I haven't beaten it yet, I can say I don't like it. There feels like there is too many new game mechanics bolted on that add nothing but frustration to the game. I like the variety to the missions. To often it feels like randomness and not strategy determines if you are successful or not. For example there is a new enemy type called the Lost. They are basically zombies. They swarm and over whelm your team. Especially in the early game where sometimes you only have 3 units. To deal with that, they allow you to keep firing virtually indefinitely as long as you keep getting head shots. It is jarring and doesn't feel right. It doesn't make sense in terms of the established game rules. Why does a head shot kill automatically gain a free turn on a Lost yet no other enemy type? The Chosen have abilities that don't make sense either. Then there are scripted missions. While many may enjoy this, it takes the game too far away from what I feel and Xcom game should be. Disappointed.

zkylon

zkylewd
this xcom situation of new unaffordable dlc being out so i'm like ok i'll wait until it's on sale but also the giantbomb xcom thing making me really tempted to play it puts me in a weird spot in which i'm seriously considering buying the expansion even if i have like $8 on my wallet

maybe i should just play xcom 1, that game was also good

new xcom 1 i mean

gosh

Hektor

DI74T-1UwAAxzOt

I replayed FFT just last December/January and I suddenly have the urge to do it again.

When is the fucking steamport

this xcom situation of new unaffordable dlc being out so i'm like ok i'll wait until it's on sale but also the giantbomb xcom thing making me really tempted to play it puts me in a weird spot in which i'm seriously considering buying the expansion even if i have like $8 on my wallet

maybe i should just play xcom 1, that game was also good

new xcom 1 i mean

gosh

Just buy the expansion, it's amazing content.

Nothing quite kills you on the inside as having one soldier strangled by a snake, another one stunned by an enemy stealth hero, another one bleeding out on the ground and the other 3 being attacked by 15 zombies

Ludens

Banned
I have some questions regarding FFXIV.
I just downloaded the free trial, I'm supposed to be able to play up to level 35 with that.
I never played a mmorpg, so how much time I need to spend to fully complete the "story" if I purchase the 40€ bundle on Steam? IS it doable on solo without grind? I don't really want to buy a 40€ game and spend 120€ by paying the monthly fee just to complete the game. IF you play, let's say, a couple of hours each day, can you beat the whole thing in two months?

Hektor

I have some questions regarding FFXIV.
I just downloaded the free trial, I'm supposed to be able to play up to level 35 with that.
I never played a mmorpg, so how much time I need to spend to fully complete the "story" if I purchase the 40€ bundle on Steam? IS it doable on solo without grind? I don't really want to buy a 40€ game and spend 120€ by paying the monthly fee just to complete the game. IF you play, let's say, a couple of hours each day, can you beat the whole thing in two months?

It took me 250 hours to get to the end of all content with all optional dungeons and trials.

So I suppose you could beat it in 150 if you only want to do the main story.

It's possible to play solo but dungeon etc. Are a co-op environment with great matchmaking and looking for group tools.

The game is *mostly* grind free, only level 45 to 49 and level 68 to 70 will require you to grind stupidly from my experience,but then again I did all optional dungeons and the likes so ymmv

Ludens

Banned
It took me 250 hours to get to the end of all content with all optional dungeons and trials.

So I suppose you could beat it in 150 if you only want to do the main story.

It's possible to play solo but dungeon etc. Are a co-op environment with great matchmaking and looking for group tools.

The game is *mostly* grind free, only level 45 to 49 and level 68 to 70 will require you to grind stupidly from my experience,but then again I did all optional dungeons and the likes so ymmv

How matchmaking works? I really have no time to "make friends" in the game, so a matchmaking option would be great to beat those contents I can't solo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How matchmaking works? I really have no time to "make friends" in the game, so a matchmaking option would be great to beat those contents I can't solo.

its looking for group.

you queue, get in a dungeon, nobody talks, everyone rushes ahead and pulls all the packs because theyve done it a bunch of times even if you havent, and you clear the dungeon. Standard mmo fare.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just buy the expansion, it's amazing content.

Nothing quite kills you on the inside as having one soldier strangled by a snake, another one stunned by an enemy stealth hero, another one bleeding out on the ground and the other 3 being attacked by 15 zombies
too broke atm

need to focus on the nendos

they're coming

Hektor

Like in any multiplayer game.

You just select what dungeon you want to play and the game matches you with a fitting party.

Ludens

Banned
Like in any multiplayer game.

You just select what dungeon you want to play and the game matches you with a fitting party.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll do all the doable in the free trial, than I will wait for a sale on the bundle in order to play the whole thing.

dex3108

So GTA V on Steam is at 8.5M owners if we add to that at least 1/3 of that number for copies sold outside Steam (it is probably way more) we get something between 11M and 12M sold copies on PC alone (I am confident to say that it is probably around 13M-14M). And that makes almost 20% (to be precise 17%) of all sold copies. Game was released on 5 platforms so that makes it equal to console sales. And yet Rockstar is still refusing to do RDR2 on PC.

Yeah, but it's still FF XIV. I don't have the time or inclination to raid in that game.

This might be just a casual raid though. Remember Crystal Tower?

I actually think this will be similar to that. Fanservice content shouldn't be locked behind high requirements.

kagamin

This might be just a casual raid though. Remember Crystal Tower?

I actually think this will be similar to that. Fanservice content shouldn't be locked behind high requirements.

They are casual content really, even the 8 man raids have a normal version separate from the difficult versions since Heavensward.

Phinor

Used my long weekend to play the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen expansion. While I haven't beaten it yet, I can say I don't like it. There feels like there is too many new game mechanics bolted on that add nothing but frustration to the game. I like the variety to the missions. To often it feels like randomness and not strategy determines if you are successful or not. For example there is a new enemy type called the Lost. They are basically zombies. They swarm and over whelm your team. Especially in the early game where sometimes you only have 3 units. To deal with that, they allow you to keep firing virtually indefinitely as long as you keep getting head shots. It is jarring and doesn't feel right. It doesn't make sense in terms of the established game rules. Why does a head shot kill automatically gain a free turn on a Lost yet no other enemy type? The Chosen have abilities that don't make sense either. Then there are scripted missions. While many may enjoy this, it takes the game too far away from what I feel and Xcom game should be. Disappointed.

I kind of agree with everything you said while also saying the expansion is good. I even enjoyed the season pass content (as a whole, not individually) because it mixed things up even if it wasn't of great quality. Same with this expansion, it's really mostly just not very well implemented new features but it's also more XCOM with new features and somehow that's good enough for me. The scripted missions are especially infuriating because you have to play them every time and the (worthless) dialogue just keeps going on and on.

The one Chosen I have met so far is also just annoying. I keep killing her and she keeps coming back the next mission kind of like the rulers in the season pass but with rulers you (usually) only dropped their health per mission, with this chosen I always kill her, then she teleports away and comes back. Also she might pop up on a really difficulty mission making the mission even more difficult. Last (scripted) mission I had 18 enemies and she just decided to also show up making the mission even more difficult. Luckily it wasn't a timed mission so that saved my ass. Whole team wounded though, two soldiers with one health.

Spent quite a few hours in the evenings during my vacation playing Massive Chalice, while have the feeling of needing to play more Invisible Inc and Civ 6.

Then I come home, and XCOM2: War of the Chosen drops.

And now that I'm in the middle of that, hype is starting to ramp up Divinity: Original Sin 2.

So much turnbased goodies to play. Love it.

Xater

In case that's an option for you, Amzon.de has the physical version of Endless Space 2 for 16,96€. It's currently out if stock, but I am sure it won't take Amazon too long to get new ones. Comes with a Steam key of course.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of jtb, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (jtb, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-CC70E6A48AE9BB83 - Taken by PaulSane. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition #2 -- MB-9FA31C06C9895BC3 - Taken by Jadax. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition #3 -- MB-95C213E8B837287F - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Steam -- MB-048B3C6EEA167F9C - Taken by Dangerblade. 4 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 -- MB-C090673B64A9A088 - Taken by Madventure. 1 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 #2 -- MB-28DBA90DB90CD9D6 - Taken by rostocker. 2 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-1C655D6CFE2092B0 - Taken by Demon Lizardman. 2 entrants total.
Dead Space 3 -- MB-2EB23E401D182DA2 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 4 entrants total.
Medal of Honor -- MB-E7C9864F3F2C13C3
Mirror's Edge -- MB-7BD6F5AFD93DC61C - Taken by sixteen-bit. 2 entrants total.
Populous -- MB-9D9FBD903B784C78 - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.
The Sims 3 Date Night Key -- MB-A8A8A311FF7D10FF - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 1 entrants total.
The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff Key -- MB-5FE30F532AEB4B13
The Sims 3 Key -- MB-222C3FF6F6A35AB8 - Taken by DeliciousDoc. 6 entrants total.
Total War: WARHAMMER -- MB-477750552822FEF5 - Taken by Purkake4. 20 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin -- MB-BBAF76873B8480EA - Taken by lazerfox. 2 entrants total.

t1504649494z1.png

gelf

Can I beat Just Cause 3 only by doing main missions?
I suspect so. I beat it only doing a few.

If your worried about the game being too time consuming though another thing to worry about is you have to unlock some story missions by liberating a certain number of areas on the map which can take some time.

I've really been enjoying Sonic Mania as well, just kinda a bummer that they reused so many stages, I would have liked maybe two returns at most, and the rest should have been new. But other than that (and the fact that they only used Bonus stages from Sonic three and none of the others) It's a solid game.

Deques

Why the script for giveaways that lets you know if you own and links is broken for me?

It's broken for me too. I am using this addon to automatically reload a thread without refresh. All giveaways that comes after when the thread has been real refreshed breaks all the giveaway links. I have to make a refresh myself so that the giveaway link work

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So GTA V on Steam is at 8.5M owners if we add to that at least 1/3 of that number for copies sold outside Steam (it is probably way more) we get something between 11M and 12M sold copies on PC alone (I am confident to say that it is probably around 13M-14M). And that makes almost 20% (to be precise 17%) of all sold copies. Game was released on 5 platforms so that makes it equal to console sales. And yet Rockstar is still refusing to do RDR2 on PC.

I think you're arriving at the wrong conclusion. R* -- or rather Take-Two -- believes there's money to be made in releasing a notably superior version later down the track.

RDR2 PC is going to happen. It's just a matter of how much time Take-Two is willing to give the gradual shift upwards of what ought to be considered a minimum configuration and the maturation and proliferation of gaming-oriented systems.

Wow have any of you guys checked your Steam account...
CDN$ 2,739.70
Store Purchases:
CDN$ 89.51
Gift Purchases:
CDN$ 67.77
In-Game Purchases:
CDN$ 90.46
Market Transactions:
CDN$ 2,987.44
Total Spent:
That cant be right....can it? I assume this isnt going by the MRSP and is going by what I actually paid (so like $10 for AAA games that are on sale). That is some serious cash and I buy all my new releases from GMG or the like.

Okay I just went back and I bought new releases from Steam back in the day (Skyrim, Deus Ex x2, Borderlands x 3, ect.) they were priced much better back then.

Dinjoralo

So, I just looked up some stuff about TiTS, and learned about how tumultuous the localization was...
These games turned a profit, right? :(

Vazduh

RDR2 is going to happen. The first one, sadly, won't. Well, until the Xbox360 emulator starts running it full-speed.

Tonton

So, I just looked up some stuff about TiTS, and learned about how tumultuous the localization was...
These games turned a profit, right? :(

FC certainly did well after the PC port, the Cold Steel games did well on console according to XSEED (they wouldn't have done the PC ports otherwise), SC doesn't look like it did too great but they probably wouldn't have bothered with 3rd if SC didn't turn a profit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom