• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That just means you better buy it before they abruptly drop the licence!

Yeah, 007 Legends releasing in October didn't stop Acti from ditching the James Bond licence just three months later. That's why I always tell people to pick up Acti's licensed stuff ASAP; there's really no telling what's destined for its annual chopping block. I myself need to watch out for the latest Transformers and Spider-Man DLC, in addition to the Legend of Korra game.

I'm in no hurry XD I'm probably gonna do FF13 Steam around the end of October during my 24 hour marathon for charity. Along with other games of course >_> And on Skype with a few others who are joining me again this year.
Oh really? cool!

I tried playing through it on 360 to get the last few achievements as well, but the 540p or whatever is really starting to bug me...

dot

Man... that reminds me that i haven't platinumed XIII yet. I was only a few trophies away too. :( Maybe i'll just 100% it on steam instead.

Pretty much the same reaction for me. Considering I just got around to watching Korra yesterday I'm already loving this.

Yeah, being a fan definitely helps...haha. I still need to start season 3.

autoduelist

Divinity is great but I much prefer the setting and writing of Wasteland 2. In terms of combat mechanics I don't see Divinity being bested any time soon though.

Can someone describe Divinity's combat mechanics for me? I guess I can go watch some on youtube but I'm curious how difficult/tactical it gets. For example, in theory I loved DA:Origins combat but it never got remotely difficult imo. I haven't dug into Wasteland 2 yet (laptop being repaired).

Fair enough. I don't know how I feel about Wasteland 2's writing yet. The dialogue and character work hasn't been bad, but the setting feels like a retread of Fallout minus all the things that made Fallout unique.

Fallout was always a bit zanier than Wasteland ever was. Don't get me wrong, Wasteland had humor... but it's pretty clear they saw how loved some of that stuff (combat descriptions, etc) was and amped it up when they made FO. I don't think Wasteland should even be trying to compete with that.

Especially not the new FO stuff. Ugh, I absolutely hate the FO3 writing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Shit. I was thinking Acti publishing Korra would just mean it would never, ever get a meaningful discount. Didn't think about the licensed aspect of it.

What's it gonna sell for? $15ish?

Edit: Maybe I should refresh the page before I reply.

Tizoc

I'm in no hurry XD I'm probably gonna do FF13 Steam around the end of October during my 24 hour marathon for charity. Along with other games of course >_> And on Skype with a few others who are joining me again this year.

Dude that sounds neat...I need to get into Streaming...my advice for an FF13 stream is skip the cutscenes.

Ventara

Geeze, Wasteland 2 sure is taking it's sweet time dropping those cards. 4.5 hours and 3 card drops. 5 more to go. Oh, and I had to redownload the whole game to play it, not just a patch, which kinda sucks.

Randam

Question: no matter what I do, my Screenshots are always jpegs.

I am pretty sure I used to get pngs, when I set it to uncompressed. :-?

Kanokare

Oh really? cool!

I tried playing through it on 360 to get the last few achievements as well, but the 540p or whatever is really starting to bug me...

Yeah I try to ignore resolution and frame rate on consoles if I can for games like this where it doesn't matter tooooo much. If it's on PC though, I want dat sweet spot.

Dude that sounds neat...I need to get into Streaming...my advice for an FF13 stream is skip the cutscenes.

I'll probably be skipping them yeah unless there's a good one if I can recall it. I'd love to stream FF13-2 for the charity but that probably won't be out before then :( Last year, we did FFXIV, TF2, L4D2, CS:GO, Day Z, and most of the night just did our own thing. Raised about 500 dollars or so total amongst everyone in our group :D

Tizoc

I'll probably be skipping them yeah unless there's a good one if I can recall it. I'd love to stream FF13-2 for the charity but that probably won't be out before then :( Last year, we did FFXIV, TF2, L4D2, CS:GO, Day Z, and most of the night just did our own thing. Raised about 500 dollars or so total amongst everyone in our group :D

IMO the good FF13 cutscenes are anything that involve Post Grumpy Sahz.
Although any cutscene before that with Sahz is pretty good too.

v4CJgov.png

16 cents WELL SPENT.

Knurek

Jumped on the FFXIII train as well, Nuuvem seems to be out of keys though... :\

Still have TitS to finish, boy, some of the cutscenes in the game go in the Xenosaga territory. Only with less action and more talking heads.

Is the word 'brevity' even in the Japanese language? Each and every of their game sans Dark Souls seems to just diarrhea words.

DocSeuss

You should get some of these.
tire4.jpg

Sorry for not being able to get a 970, but hey look at the bright side. Once you'll find the money, you'll probably get them cheaper!

I /wish/ I could get those. I don't understand why those aren't standard.

Pff. Probably. Maybe by the time I have the cash, we'll have DDR4 at $20 and Pascal will be old news.

Tizoc

I keep forgetting I have a chance of getting the Asia ver. of the game so I should avoid getting it for cheaper from certain retailers or traders XD.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apotheon should have a release date "soon". From Alientrap's Facebook page:

13/09/14 said:
We are now in the middle of closed Apotheon beta testing with a large group of players - and hopefully should be able to announce a release date soon!
If your in the Toronto area and interested in playtesting for a few hours (for a free t-shirt, a free copy of the game, and whatever else I can think of to give you), please email us at contact@alientrap.org

Considering Alientrap was anticipating a late-August release three months ago, surely it'll hit in October, or November at the absolute latest.

Miguel81

Did any of you guys enjoy F.3.A.R? I'm pondering whether I should add it to my Steam list(and play it) or give it away. The first F.E.A.R is my fave and the firefights are some of the greatest of all time, and the sequel has it's merits(played on PS3 in 2009) with a rather disturbing ending(understatement).

This one has a lot of negativity surrounding it due to supposed lack of scares. I've always wanted to play as Paxton Fettel, though, and is the coop a fun experience? I watched a bit of the DSP video, and boy does that guy curse up a storm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone know any good reliable european stores to buy computer components that ships within europe?

the ones here seem terribly outdated

*new computer to play new steam games to stay on topic >_>

Miguel81

Jumped on the FFXIII train as well, Nuuvem seems to be out of keys though... :\

Still have TitS to finish, boy, some of the cutscenes in the game go in the Xenosaga territory. Only with less action and more talking heads.

Is the word 'brevity' even in the Japanese language? Each and every of their game sans Dark Souls seems to just diarrhea words.

They had a lot more charm in the late 90s/early 00s when it was something new. Or maybe it was because I was young back then and not in the mindset of "Ain't nobody got time for that".

I'm getting so many mixed messages from the game it's making my brain hurt.

It's a good game, worth playing through at least once. Especially at the $7 sales price. People complain about the combat, the bosses, the story, the bugs (rightfully so, but they patched all the big ones, so that complaint is dated), but as somebody that's played all the Arkham games, it doesn't feel terribly different (another complaint, "there's nothing new!"), and any noticeable differences just take a bit of getting used to. For example, Batman definitely fights slower, so you just have to get used to the new timing. Which is fine, he's still a newbie at this point in time.

tl:dr good game that gets a lot of undeserved hate.

Depends a lot on the translation.

Dark Souls is not one to cite for a good translation. It purposefully doesn't focus on story, which leads to less textual indigestion.

im really thinking of getting arkham origins cold cold heart DLC. guys is it worth it?

If you like the main game, you'll like it. It might be worth $10 bucks if that's an impulse-buy price for you. If it's <=$5, then definitely try it out

So it's a yes then.

Speaking of BATMAN, quote this post if you liked the leaked Arkham Knight footage

Chariot

im really thinking of getting arkham origins cold cold heart DLC. guys is it worth it?
For 2.10$, why not. I was bummed out when I got it, because it was so littered with bugs that it was unplayable. I had two gamebreaking bugs in ten minutes. The first one at the very first start.

Alastor

anyone know any good reliable european stores to buy computer components that ships within europe?

the ones here seem terribly outdated

*new computer to play new steam games to stay on topic >_>

Speaking from experience: you really don't want to buy computer parts from a shop that is far away from you. you want it to be as close as possible when dealing with unexpected problems with bought components (there's always something).

Cold Cold Heart is probably the best version of the whole Batman Arkham thing of breaking the 4th wall to try and scare players, and Mr.Freeze continues the tradition wonderfully, and perhaps even perfects it. While I was playing Cold, Cold Heart, My game froze countless times! forcing me to restart combat sections over and over again, it was amazing!

I'm cautious about adding more games to my backlog but I've got my eye on F.E.A.R. which I've never played. Has it aged well and is it worth a purchase?

At $2.49

Chariot

Oranges is the red-headed stepchild of WB.
Of course. Must protect rocksteady's supremacy. One more hated game amongst foundations makes little difference. Well? What are you waiting for? Do it.

j8yy9JvrqESnY_e.jpg

Even the red headed step child can have redeeming qualities. Arkham Origins is inferior to it's predecessors, but it's not a bad game.

Kaleinc

Banned
Did any of you guys enjoy F.3.A.R? I'm pondering whether I should add it to my Steam list(and play it) or give it away. The first F.E.A.R is my fave and the firefights are some of the greatest of all time, and the sequel has it's merits(played on PS3 in 2009) with a rather disturbing ending(understatement).

This one has a lot of negativity surrounding it due to supposed lack of scares. I've always wanted to play as Paxton Fettel, though, and is the coop a fun experience? I watched a bit of the DSP video, and boy does that guy curse up a storm.
I liked fear and fear 2 but 3 is a mediocre low budget fps and fxaa cannot be disabled which makes it even worse - blurry mess. Can't say anything about coop.

Teeth

Of course. Must protect rocksteady's supremacy. One more hated game amongst foundations makes little difference. Well? What are you waiting for? Do it.

j8yy9JvrqESnY_e.jpg

Even the red headed step child can have redeeming qualities. Arkham Origins is inferior to it's predecessors, but it's not a bad game.

I would even say that the predator parts inside buildings are some of the best in the series. The combat is about on par (with positives in the direction of throwing a ton of guys at you at once and tightening up the counter timing, but on the negative side, giving you a weapon that trivializes fights about 2/3 through the game). I never do the Riddler stuff so I can't really comment on that.

The traversal is definitely worse than City, with tons of buildings that have no grapple points. Also splitting the map over two islands can lead to some tedious flying times.

To me, the biggest let down is the art design. All the beautiful intricate detail and ghoulish colours of the Rocksteady games are bled dry to a palette of white, grey, and black. All of the ramshackle mess of every corner of the previous games is cleaned up to uniform brick textures and metal grates. The interiors fare way better, looking at least as good as a Rocksteady B-team. Most people seem to like the toned down versions of the bat villains and especially Batman himself, but I feel like they all lack flavour. Like they were created by an outsourced modelling company to bland concept art. I liked the freaks and goons of the Rocksteady games.

Also, the tier B level bat villains aren't as iconic or interesting either. Anarky, Black Mask, Deathstroke, and the final villain are all good, but ones like the cyber guy are just lame, even if they are decently fun to fight.

That said, it was good fun overall. I didn't experience any bugs, but I know that is mostly just because I got lucky (and played it late).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom