• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Insomnia, new card on the way, I'm going to install windows 8.1 now.
So steam gaf speak now or forever hold your peace, you confirm I won't have to reinstall apps and games once the upgrade is done ?

I don't remember having to reinstall stuff after upgrading through the windows 8 store. It was so long ago I may have just forgotten though. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(
Oh I'm totally not sure, I was scared by the issue back then and never really looked back. If you guys use 8.1 and have no mouse problem I'm interested again.
I've never had any issues with mouse lag. So I'm guessing it must have been fixed before I upgraded.

Li Kao

I don't remember having to reinstall stuff after upgrading through the windows 8 store. It was so long ago I may have just forgotten though. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

I've never had any issues with mouse lag. So I'm guessing it must have been fixed before I upgraded.

Thanks for the input, anyway. I don't know where the hell I read or imagined that 8.1 update was working like a windows repair but as you are the second person to tell me it's not the case...

Ugh, I keep trying to play StarForge to see if I can get it to finally click with me but I just can't . I'm really bummed out that it's finally released and still just a buggy mess. One of the only and first Early Access I actually feel burnt for buying. Oh well, they can't all be good I guess.

Parsnip

I forgot the glory that is Deadly Premonition's facial expressions.

deadlyp_247660_2014_09_24_00002_by_majorparsnip-d80b067.jpg

I also kind of forgot how evident it is how much more effort the modeler(s) put on Emily than any of the other female characters.
Also, I didn't notice it too much back when I played this on 360, but now it feels like the camera kind of lingers on her a lot in various ways. It's almost a little creepy. Creeper cameraman.

zkylon

zkylewd

I also kind of forgot how evident it is how much more effort the modeler(s) put on Emily than any of the other female characters.
Also, I didn't notice it too much back when I played this on 360, but now it feels like the camera kind of lingers on her a lot in various ways. It's almost a little creepy. Creeper cameraman.
the camera in that game is very creepy overall lol

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I like it. Its a cute little game. However in setup there are like a bajillion control options to configure but it seems to only use the left mouse button or the space bar.

yeah - it's the default Unity launcher ... I guess they haven't removed all the excess controls :p

Miguel81

I'm not sure if I can put up with the jank in order to enjoy this game. I've seen enough on Youtube to put me off, but it DOES get a lot of praise 'round these parts.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah - it's the default Unity launcher ... I guess they haven't removed all the excess controls :p

i still can't believe unity hasn't revamped that shitty launcher

it's like a barrier of entry already of "damn this is gonna be an amateurish game isn't it?"

i mean you can always make your own but you know indies ain't go time for launchers!

lashman

i still can't believe unity hasn't revamped that shitty launcher

it's like a barrier of entry already of "damn this is gonna be an amateurish game isn't it?"

i mean you can always make your own but you know indies ain't go time for launchers!

well - AT LEAST I can start the game in windowed mode without it fucking up all my window placements because someone somewhere decided it would be a good idea to run a game in fullscreen at 640x480 (or 1280x720) without asking anyone ... so - I'll take shitty Unity launcher over anything else in-game :p

Teeth

Insomnia, new card on the way, I'm going to install windows 8.1 now.
So steam gaf speak now or forever hold your peace, you confirm I won't have to reinstall apps and games once the upgrade is done ?

Are you going from 8 to 8.1? If you are, i just did this last week and the only thing i had to reinstall were my drivers to use my Dual Shock 3/4.

Lain

I don't exactly like checking the new releases list, getting to the page of a game to know what it is about and reading recommendations from people I don't follow that tell me I should consider suicide if I happen to like said game.

I should really wrap up Sniper Elite 3 so I can start playing something else.

zkylon

zkylewd
well - AT LEAST I can start the game in windowed mode without it fucking up all my window placements because someone somewhere decided it would be a good idea to run a game in fullscreen at 640x480 (or 1280x720) without asking anyone ... so - I'll take shitty Unity launcher over anything else in-game :p

this reminds me i probably should look this up in gamemaker heh

added to bugtracker <3

Miguel81

Anybody purchase Legacy of Kain Defiance off of Nuuvem? It says DRM-free, but the pack says Steamworks. Maybe a mistake? It's the only one I don't own(Blood Omen 2 doesn't exist to me).

eyeless

waoGu9y.png

oh god it's coming

i ain't paying 70 bucks for a game, not a fucking chance. any game that is 70 bucks is not getting bought day 1. 'cept the next elder scrolls.

Vlad

So, I keep forgetting to ask: Does anybody else have trouble staying logged in to steamcommunity.com? I find it easier to sell cards off by accessing it through a browser, yet I have to log back in every single time, despite checking the "remember me" box.

So, I keep forgetting to ask: Does anybody else have trouble staying logged in to steamcommunity.com? I find it easier to sell cards off by accessing it through a browser, yet I have to log back in every single time, despite checking the "remember me" box.

When that starts happening, I find clearing the cache helps.

lashman

and done

i dunno why so many games fail to do this

just check display size and set it as current resolution, it's not that hard :/

I guess they just keep forgetting ... or don't care

I always play my games in windowed mode ... actually - I don't play games that can't be run in windowed mode (without having to use external programs that half-assedly force them to run in a windowed mode ... config file tweaks are fine, tho) :p like MK9, all LEGO games or AssCreeds etc

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess they just keep forgetting ... or don't care

I always play my games in windowed mode ... actually - I don't play games that can't be run in windowed mode (without having to use external programs that half-assedly force them to run in a windowed mode ... config file tweaks are fine, tho) :p like MK9, all LEGO games or AssCreeds etc

for me it depends

like if i really care about that game i'll play it full screen

but if it's like whatever i'll go windowed and alt tab in and out for chatting/reading neogaf/etc

Crossposting from the Gauntlet thread:

Played for a few hours. Impressions:

Each of the classes is really neat in terms of individuality. They all have very distinct combat and control designs and it makes playing through as each one a fresh experience. Wizard especially with a sort of magicka style elemental combo to choose your skills. Control in general is tight and well balanced. Valkyrie can't just spear dive spam through everything, Wizard big AoE spells have a healthy but reasonable cooldown. Each class also has a good mix of AoE and direct damage attacks so no class is entirely useless in any given situation. They've put a lot of thought into combat design and it shows greatly. Health is refilled by food which can of course be accidentally shot in the heat of battle in quintessential Gauntlet fashion. There are also generic potions which serve as ammo for your relics, but more on those later. Also introduced in lieu of the decreasing health/coin popping mechanic of the arcade releases are skull coins. These are basically your lives system affording you 5-ish second delayed respawns at the point of death (though with a moderate hit to your gold count which can actually be taken by other opportunistic players). You earn more skull coins by killing more mobs, though you have to kill a pretty substantial amount to even earn one. More so, the game generally gives you enough skills at your disposal with each class to avoid death if you've mastered the mechanics well enough, so I'd consider the game more than fair at normal difficulty (more on others later as well). All in all from a moment to moment basis the game plays pretty well. Killing monsters is satisfying and there's a surprising amount of depth to each character skillset. That being said, it would be awesome if they could add some more classes via DLC (and the Gauntlet series certainly has a wealth of templates to choose from).

Enemy design is also pretty standard, lots of 1 hit cannon fodder sprinkled with some higher level mobs here and there. though some mobs do interesting stuff like turn lower mobs into walking bombs or launching homing projectiles. I'll reserve judgment here as I really haven't played enough of the game yet. There's also a scoring subsystem that rewards long chains of kills with multipliers, and you can compare scores and clear times on leaderboards with friends or worldwide (unfortunately it looks like people have already hacked the shit out of the scoring system. Thanks internet). This doesn't seem to have any real effect on the gameplay (though maybe better combos yields quicker skull coins? I haven't experimented enough to figure it out). At the end of each level in multiplayer there's a score tally that divvies out points based on each player's kills, gold count, and whether or not they have a crown which seems to randomly spawn on an enemy mob and is dropped whenever the player gets hurt, allowing it to be scooped up by anyone else. It all seems to amount to little more than bragging rights, really, but I guess it's nice for those who are into that kinda thing, and it gives a nice competitive edge to an otherwise straightforward coop experience.

Level design is bog standard dungeon crawler type stuff though with classic Gauntlet flair, keys, food and potion caches, mob spawners, spike floors, exploding barrels and various other environmental hazards, etc. Though whereas the original gauntlet games were a bit more free form this one tends to confine you into a linear sequence of area triggered mob arenas, and having played through a bit of both worlds 1 and 2 there's a curious lack of hidden exits :( Key gates are scattered around and tend to award those who are willing to explore or be more frugal in their key usage. There are also various sorts of hidden rooms revealed by other means, so environmental interaction is also a factor. The game overall seems to be divided into 4 worlds, each with 4 acts and each act comprised of several levels, usually culminating in some type of miniboss battle or larger arena. There are also a few surprises thrown in that I won't spoil here, including an interesting twist with the famous "Death" reaper. This game BEGS for a diablo style randomly generated scenario mode, though. The environments are a bit drab. One could see how it's meant to be an homage to the simplicity of the 1985 original, but while I'm not particularly thrilled with it, it's serviceable. The level design too is pretty straightforward so far. Occasionally there are some Uncharted-level puzzle solving bits but hardly anything noteworthy. Would've liked to have seen a bit more creativity in this department as well, but it seems to specifically be going for a distinctly simplistic retro level design, so I'll give it a pass for being consistent at least.

This being a game made in the 21st century, they've added a character progression system. Gold, and the loot that can be bought with it, is now the end game and is carried over on your character/account whether you're flying solo or playing with others. Actually getting gold is an exercise in Darwinism as whatever is there can be grabbed by anyone and there's a limited amount to go around. It's a sort of chaos that reminds me of the Four Swords Adventures rupee scuffles or, again, the earlier diablo games. It's a bit frustrating in multiplayer when you and your teammates are busy taking out the giant spider miniboss while one lone asshole decides to run around the periphery to swipe all the gold and waste the keys opening extraneous doors, or the one guy that's constantly hugging the edge of the screen to get to the loot first, but thankfully the level design seems nuanced enough that it's not a huge deal, and it's not like any particular piece of gold is worth that much more than the other.. The gold can then be spent on what appear to be entirely cosmetic armor items or the main combat progression area, relics.

Each relic conveys a new special ability ability activated by use of a potion of which you can have at max 5. They're anything from just a straight 10 second buff to movement and attack speed to something as complex as the creation of multiple autonomous attacking mirror images of the player character. Each relic also has 3 levels which each cost progressively more gold to unlock and augment the existing ability in various ways such as duration, number of summoned entities, etc. And while you can buy and upgrade as many relics as you want, you're limited to only two active slots at any one time, and they can only be changed out in the game's main hub. I like this as it keeps things simple and maintains momentum as you don't have to wait for people fiddling with gear in the middle of a level when you just wanna smash some faces. The relics themselves though are a mixed bag. Some are genuinely interesting like the aforementioned mirror image, though a good 70 percent of them are simple stat buffs and even more are niche/bland enough to be glossed over entirely. This is the one area of the game that I feel came in a bit undercooked, as I think they could have done a better job of making more really build changing abilities here, but that's something they could feasibly change either in future patches or DLC. Overall though, it's a nice incentive to keep playing past the initial playthrough. You also really won't last long in the harder difficulties without them.

Finally there's also a sort of achievements subsystem for each individual class. These can be earned by doing anything from slaying 2000 of a specific mob to breaking x number of relics to dying multiple times in a level to shooting the food x number of times. What's weird is that even with these negative outcome achievements, they all award you with some positive permanent gameplay buff like bonus damage to mummies or a 6% chance of gold from random destroyed props or a 20% recovery from shot food sources or a 3 second grace period after respawn. It feels a little bit like Diablo 3's paragon system though without the user choice, Each "achievement" has additional tiers which require progressively more time/objects to earn and each of the perks individually are relatively minor, geared toward the long long term in order for them to have any real aggregate effect. It seems a bit superfluous but again it's nice for those who are into that kind of thing and I'm sure it becomes a bit more crucial when you're trying to finish the game on the highest difficulties.

Overall I'm moderately pleased with what I've played thus far. There are a few bugs that still need to be ironed out such as that resolution select, but these are fixable. I'm pretty it'll be a blast to play with a few buddies (which reminds me that this can be played in multiplayer either locally, online with Steamworks integration, or a combination of both, which is pretty neat). I'd like to see some additional modes though, like the aforementioned random level generator or some kind of wave-based endless survival mode or even a proper "race to the finish/high score" type deal. So far it's a good not great game but I'd say worth the $20 I spent.

Also, steam needs an option to ignore specific curators. The shitposting is already getting out of hand.

I just noticed grid view has square images now instead of the ugly rounded one they always had. Looks a lot nicer, if images didn't take long to load i would consider that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom