• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

I can understand that, but GMG, Amazon.com, Simplygames, nuuvem and such are also selling steam-keys, most of the time. And are often far cheaper than during the steam-sales.

An example is Bioshock Infinite. Isnt it about 7 or 8€ cheaper at GMG now with the code?
The same with Tomb Raider, that was about 11€ a few weeks ago at GMG.

And for all those you also get steam-codes.
The reason people wait for one of the two large Steam sales is that historically there was a legit basis for doing so. The larger Steam sales had larger price reductions percentage wise than during other sales throughout the year. There was also no other retail presence that was comparable to Steam that was selling Steam activating products, so you could expect to find the best deals on whatever you wanted during a Steam sale. I think that this expectation has carried over well beyond the point where it could be supported by reality. Reality being the historical basis for other retailers to offer superior values on Steam activating products in comparison to direct Steam sales.

For me personally, Amazon had been the greatest upstart to direct Steam sales starting two Christmases ago. They haven't done much since this spring though, GMG and GamersGate don't seem to have had the same level of strikingly large discounts recently too. I assume either because publisher interest in huge discount sales has wained, or retailer interest in acquiring a larger customer base by reducing their own profit margin has wained, or my knowledge and interest in modern sales has added a nostalgic glint to things while waining a bit because I already own what is going on sale again.

But I do think the evidence is there supporting the basic premise that direct Steam deals have dropped off for the past couple of years though, and now again, slightly, for third party retailers.

Am i the only one who thinks steam sales are overhyped? Yes there are good deals like darksouls and borderlands 2 and countless other indie games but this isn't exactly the reason why PC gaming is so great. Everytime someone in a forum or comments section go "ERMAGERD STAEM SALE SO GOOD SO CEHAP PC GAMEN BEST THANX GABENUEL XOXO" i cringe, cause it sounds like were trying so hard to justify our choice of gaming platform. And then ignorant console fanbois proceed to make snark remarkz like "LOLOLOL, DIS IS Y DEVS DONT SUPPORT PC CAUSE YOU GUYS EIDA PIRATE EVERY GAME OR ONLY BUY IT WHEN ITZ 2$$$ LOL PC GAMING SUX LELELEL"
and i proceed to cringe some more.

Plus its not really that much of a saving considering you can buy major releases like Tomb Raider and Bioshock on release from sites such as GMG for like only slightly more than steam sale prices. Plus you dont have to wait a year...

Oh FFS.

I just topped up my account using Paypal - which is what I ALWAYS do.

Went to sell some of the trading cards I've been accumulating and my Marketplace account is now disabled for seven days.

Which means that I now have to wait for a response from Valve's legendary (shit) customer service - should be sorted in time for the Christmas sale I suppose :-\

I can't believe how a service that has millions of regular customers has such piss poor customer support - at least with Origin you can live chat with a customer support operative in 30 minutes or so. To have to wait more than 24 working hours is shockingly bad, in this day and age - sale or no sale.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Am i the only one who thinks steam sales are overhyped? Yes there are good deals like darksouls and borderlands 2 and countless other indie games but this isn't exactly the reason why PC gaming is so great. Everytime someone in a forum or comments section go "ERMAGERD STAEM SALE SO GOOD SO CEHAP PC GAMEN BEST THANX GABENUEL XOXO" i cringe, cause it sounds like were trying so hard to justify our choice of gaming platform. And then ignorant console fanbois proceed to make snark remarkz like "LOLOLOL, DIS IS Y DEVS DONT SUPPORT PC CAUSE YOU GUYS EIDA PIRATE EVERY GAME OR ONLY BUY IT WHEN ITZ 2$$$ LOL PC GAMING SUX LELELEL"

Plus its not really that much of a saving considering you can buy major releases like Tomb Raider and Bioshock on release from sites such as GMG for like only slightly more than steam sale prices. Plus you dont have to wait a year...
I've never seen someone talk like that. I don't have a lot of money, and I wait for the steam sales to get games. Don't know how saving money can be 'overhyped.'

The_Monk

morning everyone! How's everyone feeling after day 1?!?

Edit: Also what's the going value on summer cards?

Morning fellow GAFfer! Doing fine, what about you?

Value Cards on the Market seem pretty low so far. And that is when is working. Yesterday was a bit bad. Hope today is better but I still don't have the Summer Badge.

Prices have been from 0.30€ to 0.40€ from what I've seen lately.

Oh FFS.

I just topped up my account using Paypal - which is what I ALWAYS do.

Went to sell some of the trading cards I've been accumulating and my Marketplace account is now disabled for seven days.

Which means that I now have to wait for a response from Valve's legendary (shit) customer service - should be sorted in time for the Christmas sale I suppose :-\

I can't believe how a service that has millions of regular customers has such piss poor customer support - at least with Origin you can live chat with a customer support operative in 30 minutes or so. To have to wait more than 24 working hours is shockingly bad, in this day and age - sale or no sale.

I did the same thing. Locked me out of all card selling when it's hot...

inm8num2

He doesn't need to own the base game.
X1hVdnd.png

I meant the $5 upgrade. I have a key for the base game from an old GMG sale that I never used. I'm thinking of activating it then doing the $5 upgrade to GOTY to get all the DLC and expansions minus Brave New World.

Tempting. Since it's a flash sale I'm hoping the deal will reappear later. I might have to sit on this one since I may want to use my limited budget on something else.

MikeDown

Banned
And then ignorant console fanbois proceed to make snark remarkz like "LOLOLOL, DIS IS Y DEVS DONT SUPPORT PC CAUSE YOU GUYS EIDA PIRATE EVERY GAME OR ONLY BUY IT WHEN ITZ 2$$$ LOL PC GAMING SUX LELELEL" and i proceed to cringe some more.
nah its just that PC gamers get better deals and console fanbois are jelly

Overdoziz

Banned

Good post, would buy at 75% off.

Petrie

Banned
haha worth a shot. what'd you have in mind? i'm interested enough

I really wasn't trying to make anybody buy anything. Just hoping somebody had something I wanted laying in inventory or something. Just gonna move on, I'm not that guy.

I've never seen someone talk like that. I don't have a lot of money, and I wait for the steam sales to get games. Don't know how saving money can be 'overhyped.'

But for major games like Bioshock infinite you could get a steam key from many sites for around 35 dollars on release. You save 5 dollars to wait and play the game like 5 months later... And as someone previously stated before you could probably get it around steam sale prices even before steam sale on GMG etc.

Kabouter

Can we please not turn a thread about the current Steam sale into some meta discussion about discourse regarding PC vs. console gaming on GAF in general? Thanks.

Refyref

Also the flashlight doesn't cast shadows correctly in that version from what I hear.

Yeah, I think I can recall reading about a few engine-level compromises made for the console versions.

Actually, flashlight shadows are disabled, but can be enabled. It can be a bit confusing, since the flashlight is located on the shoulder of the player rather than held by hand.

smr00

Banned

It's been 1 day bro.

You can't give all the deals on the first day.

TheExodu5

Banned

You know, this isn't GameFAQs.

Razorskin

----- ------
I meant the $5 upgrade. I have a key for the base game from an old GMG sale that I never used. I'm thinking of activating it then doing the $5 upgrade to GOTY to get all the DLC and expansions minus Brave New World.

Tempting. Since it's a flash sale I'm hoping the deal will reappear later. I might have to sit on this one since I may want to use my limited budget on something else.

OK yeah that upgrade you need the base game for.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to regret not picking up Civ 5, despite not being a strategy fan and having never playing any turn-based strategy game except a few rounds of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with a friend.

wilflare

what are the three community choices so far?
(1) Borderlands 2 (Out of Dishonored and... ?)
(2) Saints Row 3 (Out of ?)
(3) Pending (Mirror Edge and Portal 2)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually, flashlight shadows are disabled, but can be enabled. It can be a bit confusing, since the flashlight is located on the shoulder of the player rather than held by hand.

If memory serves, isn't the torch just... stuck to the player model, with no care given to how it looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom