• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
5ArEGjw.jpg

pQFAizy.jpg

hitmon

What happens when you buy a collection, but you already own the base game?

Say I own Skyrim. I buy legendary edition. Would I unlock the DLC, but be able to gift the base game?

Similar question with Sleeping Dogs. I buy the base game now and they have a daily later that includes base game + all DLC. If I buy the daily, would the base game included in the daily be giftable?

Crayons

Banned

Say I own Skyrim. I buy legendary edition. Would I unlock the DLC, but be able to gift the base game?

Similar question with Sleeping Dogs. I buy the base game now and they have a daily later that includes base game + all DLC. If I buy the daily, would the base game included in the daily be giftable?
No gifts.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Similar question with Sleeping Dogs. I buy the base game now and they have a daily that includes base game + all DLC. If I buy the daily, would the base game included in the daily be giftable?

Nope if you buy the collection and already have the base game, it just unlocks the DLC. No extra copy.

The original game will be in limbo. You only get the DLC.

As someone who has been following the market for fun.
Selling is becoming less interesting because the prices have just about crashed for most games.

Either
1) Sell and take what you can get and use it on the sale (which btw, is not all that spectacular, it's just hype generated through cards and people screaming sale)
2) Wait a bit for prices to rebound (some games are selling at 1/3 of what they were over the last month, ie. not initial price, but steady state value over many days). Combination of influx of new cards and also diminishing perceived value of steam cards (and leveling up).

Dambrosi

Banned
Just booted up Dark Souls for the first time on PC (already installed Durante's magic sauce). Christ GFWL blows. My first GFWL game.
Yep, thias is me. Though, in my case, I ran it vanilla first before applying Da Fix, and I knew of GfWL's crappiness beforehand from Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Night and friggin' day, mate, even on my humble rig.

Can't play anymore, though - there's a summer heatwave where I am, and though my CPU and graphics card aren't getting too hot, I'm wary of risking them during a British Summer. So I guess I'll stick to Isaac and Dead Ninjas for now.

Just booted up Dark Souls for the first time on PC (already installed Durante's magic sauce). Christ GFWL blows. My first GFWL game.

I had the same experience with both Dead Rising 2 and Dark Souls. First time I popped in Dark Souls it wouldn't let me use my GFWL account for some reason, so I played without it. Turns out that it's needed to save the game so I lost all my progress.

I had to create another GFWL account and now for some reason it accepts it. Also my name is something stupid since they may auto-name you.

I think my first name was ballpark_cashew, and my second one was DokiNaruT. Such terrible auto-names.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also, I fail at modbot. Sent a PM for one of the Bully codes... But only copied the code and not the game title too. Aww yeeah.

You'd still be eligible if you only copied the code as long as you included the MB- part; but just to prevent people from screwing up, might as well copy the whole line. You just didn't get there in time.

So, if you want to see the logs, I'll excerpt; each heartbeat is 30 seconds. First ModBot checks his PMs and processes every PM in his inbox that hasn't yet been processed. Then, in order: ModBot generates new giveaways that are queued, ModBot processes claims that are queued, ModBot 2 processes claims that are still queued, ModBot processes receipts for those who wanted it. If no business was done this heartbeat, process PMs again. If there's still no business and it's been an hour since the last inbox clear, clear the inbox. Wait 30 seconds.

From ModBot's log:
GA: Heartbeat
GA: New claim request ChaoticPotion for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: New claim request Dmax3901 for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: New claim request PolarBearsClub for 0D3428D2B46FE867
[payout on other claims goes here]

GA: Heartbeat
GA: New claim request PepperJack for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: New claim request unpurposed for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: New claim request Kipp for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: New claim request Ogedai_Khan for 0D3428D2B46FE867
[at this point ModBot pays out on ChaoticPotion's win and nukes the other 6 entries for the same game]

GA: Heartbeat [at this point all incoming PMs asking for this game are not going to even be considered because the game has been paid out]
GA: Taken PM from KScorp for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: Taken PM from Kandrick for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: Taken PM from Daedalos42 for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: Taken PM from not psycho for 0D3428D2B46FE867
GA: Taken PM from Thezez for 0D3428D2B46FE867

So in that case, 12 people submitted claims within a minute of each other.

Tellaerin

I'm looking at no spare cash again until the middle of next week. Talk about the worst time for a Steam sale.

Gaben, why do you torture me?! *shakes fists at the heavens*

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wait sorry, the last photo was too desaturated and a little lacking in contrast.

wJGJUsM.jpg

You'd still be eligible if you only copied the code as long as you included the MB- part; but just to prevent people from screwing up, might as well copy the whole line. You just didn't get there in time.

Ah! Very good to know! I'm just fine with being beat fair and square.

rockx4

Ouch.. So I'd end up paying the full price, but only get DLC? Does steam provide a warning?

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

You normally get a warning at checkout, it lets you know that some of the items in the bundle are already in your library.

Omega

Banned
I had the same experience with both Dead Rising 2 and Dark Souls. First time I popped in Dark Souls it wouldn't let me use my GFWL account for some reason, so I played without it. Turns out that it's needed to save the game so I lost all my progress.

I had to create another GFWL account and now for some reason it accepts it. Also my name is something stupid since they may auto-name you.

I think my first name was ballpark_cashew, and my second one was DokiNaruT. Such terrible auto-names.

you can change it for free the first time

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ouch.. So I'd end up paying the full price, but only get DLC? Does steam provide a warning?

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Yes, you'll get a warning when you're trying to check out. But you have to look for it. Apparently it blends in well and most people skim over it thinking it's part of the "Terms and Conditions".

Is the puzzle platforming actually difficult? I absolutely love the concept and the demo I played on XBLA was charming and fun, but I like to be challenged.
And I thought that a lot of the rooms are locked behind those tricky puzzles, I dont want to feel like I'm missing out

It's been a while since I played Fez, but IIRC the platforming itself isn't really difficult (not extremely easy either, but still on the easy side). Most of the challenge is figuring out how to traverse a level. If you're looking for a pure mechanical challenge (like a Super Meat Boy), then Fez won't satisfy you.

EDIT: here's an example of the difficulty in the about halfway through the game, to give you an idea.

Also, all the decoding stuff is pretty deep into the game already (think new game plus), there are plenty of puzzles and mysteries that you can solve without doing any of that. I had a very enjoyable, fulfilling first playthrough without having touched the decoding stuff yet.

That said, the true beauty of the game is the descent to wonderland that opens up if you decide to dig deeper. It's what elevates the game from a very good and polished puzzle platformer to something truly special.

You'll have more than your money's worth doing a normal run through Fez and leaving it at that, and won't feel like your experience is gimped. You can always continue digging if you wish after your first playthrough, and that's something you certainly should consider.

Another giveaway. Hotline Miami goes to the winner. Answer all 5 to win.

All serial killer/crime related.
1. This organized crime syndicate calls themself "Our Thing."
2. Nobody expected this nice guy next door, who dressed like a clown for kids, to be a serial killer.
3. This man is famous for killing his rivals on February 14th.
4. This South American cocaine trafficker has served consecutive prison sentences in 3 different countries since 1992.
5. This former US Marine killed 17 people from a clock tower on the campus of the University of Texas Austin.

Onionkid

So since I just won Bully (thanks again, zer0blivion!) I figured now's as good as ever to get into the giving spirit too. Hope this works, first time I've tried using modbot for gifting!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dear Esther -- MB-ED8BD6D43D9A811C - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Hotline Miami -- MB-34F8F5BFF9538C27 - Taken by DaBoss

Ephemeris

More people need Hotline Miami in their lives.

I went in hard this afternoon. Went from 20% to 80% of the trophies in one sitting. So good.

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member

2. Nobody expected this nice guy next door, who dressed like a clown for kids, to be a serial killer.
4. This South American cocaine trafficker has served consecutive prison sentences in 3 different countries since 1992.
5. This former US Marine killed 17 people from a clock tower on the campus of the University of Texas Austin.

1. Sicilian Mafia
2. Ronald "Mac" McDonald
3. Al Capone
4. Manuel Noriega
5. Charles Whitman

DaBoss

So since I just won Bully (thanks again, zer0blivion!) I figured now's as good as ever to get into the giving spirit too. Hope this works, first time I've tried using modbot for gifting!

Thank your Hotline Miami. Been getting a lot of praise on GAF.

1. The Mafia (Sicilian)
2. John Wayne Gacy
3. Al Capone
4. Manuel Noriega
5. Charles Whitman

?

jtb

Banned

the mafia (sicilian)
john wayne gacy
capone
noriega ???
charles whitman

smr00

Banned
Is Sleeping Dogs 30fps locked in cut-scenes or something? Decided to finally play it and noticed that the cut-scenes look like they take a pretty big hit in FPS, it goes from super smooth gameplay to kind of choppy looking cut-scenes. It's not a huge deal it's just a little distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom