• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made this
3v5z3y.jpg

Salsa

I bought Dark Souls, played for 40 minutes and haven't touched it since.

Waste of money. The first boss fight is annoying and the combat is pretty shitty.

between this and the fez opinion im starting to think your face looks like your catnip avatar 24/7

If I had to pick one, which do you consider the best of the three?

I personally like Origin the best. Has the best story, bosses and 3 playable characters. However, if you're new to the series I would start with OiF. Origin is a prequel to Ys I&II so I would play those first since you will then appreciate the story of origin more.

Atruvius

Waste of money. The first boss fight is annoying and the combat is pretty shitty.

Seems like someone has little patience and doesn't know how to play the so they blame the game...

Dark Souls is one of the best games of last year.

Vargavinter

I love Fez! The music and the atmosphear is amazing! You can listen to the soundtrack on Spotify. And i had to snag Surgeon Simulator 2013 just for the silly gameplay. And Ys! I Loved playing it on the Sega Master System, been thinking of buying it on VC, but i never got to it so buying the remakes on steam was a no-brainer. Been listening alot to the Soundtrack to Hotline Miami so i bought it and FTL OST aswell. Thanks for helping me out Dunder.

Onionkid

No, no no! That game is a lot of fun, do yourself a favor and stick with it. Maybe restart with Pyromancer if you wanna get through the beginning easy enough. It super reminds me of a game like Super Ghouls and Ghosts, only modern. In the sense that once you "learn" it, you can borderline beat it without getting hit, but up until that point it's kinda frustrating and certain bits seem unfair.

Edit: and feel free to add me or anyone else who offers here to play with you co-op vs later bosses, it makes it too easy but it's also super fun!

Hakkuei

Ok someone tell me which Ys to get. [I have never played Ys in my life, i usually don't enjoy 2d top down action rpgs unless its seiken densetsu 3 :D]

There are 3 currently on sale with all similar prices, so i ask you GAF, which one do i get:

Ys I and II Chronicles+
OR
Ys Origin
OR
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

I think the consensus is to start with Oath, that's what I did and I loved it

Prophane33

It gets good after 43 minutes.

I've played for 2 hours and nothing about it makes me want to go on. It's got some great art direction, but the game is frustrating as hell. The game has style, I'll give you that, and the premise is interesting; however, games that difficult/obtuse went out with the NES. I understand why some people like it, but it's just not for me.

H3xum

Bah I'm going to be gone from now until tomorrow evening. Not having a way to access steam because I'm a windows mobile user blowsssss

Well fuck you guys, there goes more money :p

Really hoping Dark Souls goes on sale so I can double dip, the DLC for the PS3 version is $30 so I'd rather just get the GOTY for PC.

Acccent

you need to practice your philfishm

AH! I forgot to
turn my head sideways
!

But then it reads
mgsx ca pxaisx
? There aren't even enough letters in the last word? Either I'm missing something (which means I can definitely go ahead and buy it on Steam, remembering stuff won't be trivial) or you've made a huge mistake

Salsa

AH! I forgot to
turn my head sideways
!

But then it reads
mgsx ca pxaisx
? There aren't even enough letters in the last word? Either I'm missing something (which means I can definitely go ahead and buy it on Steam, remembering stuff won't be trivial) or you've made a huge mistake

ah yeah, I missed a letter

bootski

dark souls: the prepare to die edition
are you serious? i keep hearing about this game and how dying is the new black. i can't see how.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't understand the "don't buy FEZ because Phil Fish is not a nice person!" people.
How is that any worse than a faceless 200 people studio, where 20 people could be literally Hitler. Who gives a fuck.

Some people.

tl,dr FEZ is one of the best games of the last decade, just buy it already.

No kthxbi.

Waiting on that Dark Souls sale if it happens. I'll probably buy it and then think really badly about pulling a trigger on a PC within these next few weeks to play it again.

Onionkid

whatevs man DrakeSword4lyfe Dark Souls is a piece of cake #childsplay

That's what I love about that game. Everyone claims it's so hard. But you can break it so many ways. It's no harder than, say, Megaman 2 or SG&G. It's only hard when you first play it, the sense of the unknown. Once you "know" it, it's stupidly easy. Oh no, don't use Pyromancer...it's too easy. Oh no, don't suicide run with the master key for the Dragon Crest shield...you shouldn't have a 100% block shield so soon. Oh no, don't cheese for the drake sword, it's too good too soon. Oh no, Lightning Halberd +5 is too good...etc etc etc. For a game people deem so hard, you sure can break it six ways to Sunday.

dark souls: the prepare to die edition
are you serious? i keep hearing about this game and how dying is the new black. i can't see how.

It's complete hyperbole, once you learn the way combat flows you will be fine and wont die too much. It doesn't require ridiculous timing, or button combos, or luck. It's very rarely cheap when you die, all the game needs is you being cautious and making smart decisions.

It and its predecessor are probably the most coherent games I've played in that their combat, level design, art, story, sound all work together to provide a great atmospheric game. Get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom