• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum

sale just warming up and...

damage.

Dishonored Dlc
under the ocean
no time to explain
Starseed pilgrim
Afterfall insanity
Gnomoria
Dyad
Blood Dragon
Fez
Whispered world (on toma's description)

so glad I waited on the sale, but I still have 29 (twenty-nine!) on my wishlist

omg(osh)!

I could certainly use some more steam friends - so:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/QuantumThermos

\0/ for the f5 button during a steam sale.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
hhnnggg Hotline Miami is so good. Bought the soundtrack with it because I heard so much praise for it, and it's incredible indeed.

I've played for 2 hours and nothing about it makes me want to go on. It's got some great art direction, but the game is frustrating as hell. The game has style, I'll give you that, and the premise is interesting; however, games that difficult/obtuse went out with the NES. I understand why some people like it, but it's just not for me.

That is fair enough.

I will say that is not uncommon. I was the same with demon souls. You struggle, it isn't fun, you feel it is bullshit and wonder why you would bother. Then you lose a heap of souls to a cheap death and feel like packing it in.

But if and only if you push on, it clicks. For demon souls? It was after I got into the second area and started exploring. Suddenly I understood that death didn't matter. It was a release from modern gaming, I was just surviving and exploring. I actually found myself smiling as I played.

Dark souls is not over rated. It is a magical gaming experience but not everybody will have it. That is a shame if you are one of them and I urge you to try again. Maybe not now, but one day, especially after playing other modern hits. You just never know when it will click for you too.

That's what I love about that game. Everyone claims it's so hard. But you can break it so many ways. It's no harder than, say, Megaman 2 or SG&G. It's only hard when you first play it, the sense of the unknown. Once you "know" it, it's stupidly easy. Oh no, don't use Pyromancer...it's too easy. Oh no, don't suicide run with the master key for the Dragon Crest shield...you shouldn't have a 100% block shield so soon. Oh no, don't cheese for the drake sword, it's too good too soon. Oh no, Lightning Halberd +5 is too good...etc etc etc. For a game people deem so hard, you sure can break it six ways to Sunday.

Exactly, the game has an easy mode, if anyone reading this has issues with the difficulty, just select a sorcerer as your starting class, later on it becomes almost like cheating.

Tenrius

dark souls: the prepare to die edition
are you serious? i keep hearing about this game and how dying is the new black. i can't see how.

It's a PR stunt based on telling people that the game is HORRIBLY FUCKING HARD AND UNFAIR AND YOU WILL DIE SO MANY TIMES OH MY GOD. The stunt works very well, despite the fact that the game is not really horribly fucking hard at all, but rather is "just right" kind of challenging instead. In my experience, anyway.

Salsa

dark souls gets good the minute you walk through a portal and suddenly capra demon you dead

and then it gets good again when you realize there's a stupid-ass stair next to him making the whole thing easy and great if you use your head

Jawmuncher

Damn nothing has popped up yet that I want.
Though I guess that'll save me money. Hopefully sonething pops up for me.

Also when does origin usually have a sale?
Biggest game I don't have this year is dead space 3 and I've been waiting for a 15 dollar price.

Volcynika

Oh god, Farming Simulator has cards. I told myself I wouldn't get it if it wasn't $5.. but cards...

image.php

Damn nothing has popped up yet that I want.
Though I guess that'll save me money. Hopefully sonething pops up for me.

Also when does origin usually have a sale?
Biggest game I don't have this year is dead space 3 and I've been waiting for a 15 dollar price.

Origin already had their Sale

Hypron

It's a PR stunt based on telling people that the game is HORRIBLY FUCKING HARD AND UNFAIR AND YOU WILL DIE SO MANY TIMES OH MY GOD. The stunt works very well, despite the fact that the game is not really horribly fucking hard at all, but rather is "just right" kind of challenging instead. In my experience, anyway.

Yeah. The only thing that can be really hard is finding where the heck you're supposed to go if you don't go the right way (instead of going towards Queelag I went down the great hollow on my first playthrough. That was a painful experience).

Chronoja

Probably mentioned a million times already but it's nearly impossible to keep up with this thread, but, Timeshift has a discount. oh yeah!

Cynar

That's what I love about that game. Everyone claims it's so hard. But you can break it so many ways. It's no harder than, say, Megaman 2 or SG&G. It's only hard when you first play it, the sense of the unknown. Once you "know" it, it's stupidly easy. Oh no, don't use Pyromancer...it's too easy. Oh no, don't suicide run with the master key for the Dragon Crest shield...you shouldn't have a 100% block shield so soon. Oh no, don't cheese for the drake sword, it's too good too soon. Oh no, Lightning Halberd +5 is too good...etc etc etc. For a game people deem so hard, you sure can break it six ways to Sunday.
The people who claim it's too hard usually give up on it. Death is used in a way to help you learn. Once you know what's coming things are less difficult and you are able to progress. It's such a good game and it's a shame that people are afraid of it for the fact it might be seen as too hard.
I've been getting as many people hooked as possible and this stigma it has ended up in one of my friends not even giving the game a chance. It made me sad to watch him play and give up so quickly citing things he read in reviews like this game is sadistically hard. His loss and I'm glad I let him borrow my 360 copy cause I was going to buy it for him on pc so that saved me some cash.

Mildudon

Ok let's try this again

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Breath of Death VII -- MB-7206059226F5BD51 - Taken by zephervack

Seanspeed

Banned
This is really proving to be the most ridiculously great way to start a PC game collection(don't even have my PC yet!).

So far:

Antichamber
Endless Space + Disharmony
Super Meat Boy
Fez
The Walking Dead Episodes 1-5
Civilization 5 + Gods and Kings
Hotline Miami
Terraria
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
FTL

$65

The people who claim it's too hard usually give up on it. Death is used in a way to help you learn. Once you know what's coming things are less difficult and you are able to progress. It's such a good game and it's a shame that people are afraid of it for the fact it might be seen as too hard.

I finished Dark Souls and wouldnt say its too hard.

But I would say at some points its totally unfair. Like if you play as a mage in Blighttown, you will fall to your death thousands of times, just because you dont really use a big shield.

This is really proving to be the most ridiculously great way to start a PC game collection(don't even my PC yet!).

So far:

Antichamber
Endless Space + Disharmony
Super Meat Boy
Fez
The Walking Dead Episodes 1-5
Civilization 5 + Gods and Kings
Hotline Miami
Terraria
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
FTL

$65

Excellent choices!

Seanspeed

Banned
I finished Dark Souls and wouldnt say its too hard.

But I would say at some points its totally unfair. Like if you play as a mage in Blighttown, you will fall to your death thousands of times, just because you dont really use a big shield.
Plenty of perfectly good shields with minimum stat requirements.

Excellent choices!
Thanks. I don't usually like spending a lot of money on games so I don't play too many different games, but this is really helping me catch up on some great stuff I've been missing out on.

And out of those, Terraria is the only one I've played before.

Onionkid

dark souls gets good the minute you walk through a portal and suddenly capra demon you dead

and then it gets good again when you realize there's a stupid-ass stair next to him making the whole thing easy and great if you use your head

Yup, that boss, and so many other overhyped bosses, are too easy. Honestly I love that game, but I hate the sense of "challenge" in it. I love the game, I've 1ked it on 360 and again on PC, don't get me wrong. But it's basically trial-and-error difficulty when you first start out. Reminds me of learning the block patterns in MM2, that raft level (like literally lvl 2 or 3) in Super Ghouls & Ghost, or knowing when to dodge "that" asshole off-screen enemy in Ninja Gaiden NES, etc. On your second or third playthrough, you feel like the most knowledgable, uber-badass in the world. Honestly, you know what game I'd really compare it to? Zelda 2. (Which is my fave Zelda, and DS is a great game, I'm not poo pooing on either). I feel like the Metroidvania-mini sense of opening areas you couldn't get to before is there, the "any particular enemy can be your doom" sense is there too. First time I fought a Blue Knight in Zelda 2, lord knows my 5 year old ass died. Again and again. Now when I play it, it's a joke. I think of the orange witch enemies in the fifth or sixth castle, the reflect ghosts, the blue darknuts?/knights, the Thunderbird...it all seems super similar to Dark Soul's challenges, only in 2D. Even "deadly platforming when it shouldn't be there" sections are in both. Mostly because too many NES action game felt the need to have those Castlevania medusa-head enemies, haha.

That game is so much fun, Dark Souls that is. The sense of each weapon feeling oh-so-unique is cool, the art direction/sound direction is superb, being able to make it hard by going low-level or learning everything and OPing ala Final Fantasy Tactics is there...it's like all my fave games wrapped up in one. Hearing someone say they're not feeling it after less than an hour is heartbreaking. I repeat - stick with it. The game is a joke, it's only hard in areas because you don't know it...just accept rinse/repeating, don't worry about stupid things like chopping off tails for weapons etc in the beginning, and have a blast. Keep saying "this is an NES game only in 1080p/60fps on PC".

Caffeine

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold
Hotline Miami
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare x2 1 for a friend
Poker Night 2
Poker Night
Surgeon Simulator
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Sleeping Dogs

~$60

Relax.MX

I was out of steam and gaf a couple of months for my work and man the new system of steam of cards, levels, experience, etc. Is too much in a very bad way, requires too much time and money

Before was just buy games and don't play it and with the sales was just little games or achievements

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I have now 60 games. Jesus... I should stop buying stuff but then again... Levels...

Level 6 now just 4 more for 10 >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom