• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera O

Banned
Damn, just heard about this. I want to buy Hotline Miami on Steam so that I can buy the sweet soundtrack.

Wait - you can't access the soundtrack without having the game? I have it on vita, just assumed the mp3s from steam would be in a HLM folder once I get home and download. If that's not the case, oops.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wait - you can't access the soundtrack without having the game? I have it on vita, just assumed the mp3s from steam would be in a HLM folder once I get home and download. If that's not the case, oops.

The soundtrack is DLC. In Steam, DLC requires the base game. They're just MP3s but you still need the base game to buy the soundtrack. It's weird

SuperHans

Haven't been able to buy a thing. Getting this error.

2aAsQn6.png

Tried with a Mastercard and my Visa Debit and getting the same error. Why didn't I top up my Steam wallet in preparation. Rookie mistake.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You gotta be kidding me with this

ijdpXGlPIfTho.gif

It's no use getting too worked up Griefmayne. As we've all noted already, the OP is sort of a throwaway post for things like that. Just short of having a post stickied on top of every page with links to the instructions for using ModBot and a reminder to wait for the fucking dailies people will constantly ask and ask. One more do-able solution we may be able to have is edit the topic title to remove the part about gabebot and say something like "READ FIRST POST FOR MODBOT USE INSTRUCTIONS GOD DAMN"

Dumb question: The games that are just on sale...... Will they go up in price before the end of the sale?

Interested in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but am hoping for a daily deal kind of thing..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
mattiewheels said:
Go easy on me, but...why would anyone buy these trading cards you can earn?

you might not get certain ones and maybe people want their badges.

For CS GO I've gotten like 5 Balkan cards and 2 SWAT cards and nothing else. for someone impatient I would imagine they would just spend the $1 instead of hoping they randomly get it after X amount of playtime
That's what I'm wondering, what's the end result of getting the badges?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, McPixel is one of the weirdest games I've ever played.

Basically, every level consists of 6 one-screen point-and-click adventure puzzles. Like WarioWare, you have a limited period of time to solve them--20 seconds to be precise. After 20 seconds, the level explodes. You need to put out the bomb by clicking on things, or by picking up things and using them on other things.

If you win, you move to the next screen.
If you lose, you move to the next screen.
After all 6 screens it wraps back around to the first unfinished screen.
Once you've beaten the level you can replay it to try to unlock all the various failure types as well as the success type.

But the thing that makes it most weird is that there's no rhyme or reason. In one level you might see a bomb and click on it and it blows up, you lose, and then in the next level you might click on the same bomb and your character eats it and thus it doesn't explode and you win. So basically you have no idea what's going to happen.

Because of this it's more an interactive screensaver than a game, but it's still pretty fun. You can beat the whole game (4 chapters of 4 stages of 6 screens each) in a few hours and there's a ton of free DLC. It doesn't have Steam achievements or work with Steam overlay.

Weird.

Dipper145

Dumb question: The games that are just on sale...... Will they go up in price before the end of the sale?

Interested in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but am hoping for a daily deal kind of thing..

Things on sale won't go up in price, wait for a daily deal/flash sale, and if not you can buy them on the last day.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No, every negative criticism is not a bizarre vendetta. People can feel free to criticize the limitations of this approach, or the wisdom of giveaways in general, or me personally.

Entering the thread and saying
"I don't get modbot"
"Yeah that doesn't sound like an advantage to me"
"Yeah manual giveaways do just fine"
"Oh I guess that's an advantage but I'd rather do it manually"
"Well my way works better than modbot because no one can abuse a manual process"
"Why is everyone still talking about ModBot it's getting in the way of discussion"
"I hate to repost but why is everyone still talking about ModBot"
is a bizarre vendetta. Do you think no one heard you the first time?

Do whatever you want. Talk about whatever you want in here--you feel that giveaways are prohibiting game discussion, but I see the occasional person asking for game feedback and getting it, undetered by giveaways. Giveaway whatever you want however you want. Criticize as much as you want. Giveaways are permitted here, whether they use ModBot or not. If ModBot has made it easier for people to giveaway stuff so more of the thread is giveaways, that's fine by me and I hope by you as well. For what it's worth, the thread speed is so fast in large part because GAF is twice as large as it was last summer sale and probably 50% or more larger than it was last winter sale.

I don't say this because I have time invested into the tool, I say this because I like the tool as a user and because as a moderator I need to respond to people complaining about anything site-related.

First of all:

I love GAF and actually think we have one of the best pool of moderators on any site I came across, and many members over different communities here can probably testify of me liking the place. I am not arguing about things just because they are "site-related" or come from authority. Initially, I was honestly confused about the use, then I was giving polite feedback about how I see it affects the use of the thread, with repeated posts about my concerns that I didnt feel addressed.

Now what wasnt cool, was you framing me in that post as if I was only having a "bizarre vendetta" against your tool, with paraphrasing my quotes and leaving out the actual issues I see (and others agreed to) and compliments I made to the program (Its cool that it envigorates the will of people to give stuff away). Not cool, Stump and something that got me riled up as well.

So lets say we both made mistakes, cool off a bit and stop the namecalling.

Anyway, my issue, that still hasnt been addressed: Why is this not its own thread? Steam Giveaways are. Sell and Trade thread is. So why isnt this? It wouldnt be detrimental to ANYONES enjoyment of the tool to have the discussion and giveaways in its own thread, or would it? The other way around however, it IS affecting people who want to use the thread in its previously (from previous threads) used ways.

And full disclosure:
After seeing people using it, I actually think the idea is cool, but its still messing with the way the Steam threads used to work, as in usually discussions about games since every thread page is usually only on the last page (which most people read) for a given amount of time. Other than that, I am still marvelling at the fact that something like this actually works on a forum. Outright wizardry.

Other than that, I guess I just wanted people (and you) to acknowledge the issues I see as feedback, which might in turn call for the creation of its own thread for it, like the many other threads. But if the community says "NOPE, we want it here", then of course I wont be able to do anything about it *shrug*. Anyway, since I have a GIF with my name now regarding this issue, my feedback shall not be forgotten! *triumphantly raises fist*

Anustart

I would like to extend a giant thank you to Chojka. I switched over to steam after dinner and I received a message I was gifted The Walking Dead. Didn't even ask or win it, just an unprovoked gift! You guys are amazing.

derExperte

Tried with a Mastercard and my Visa Debit and getting the same error. Why didn't I top up my Steam wallet in preparation. Rookie mistake.

Others got their ability to buy stuff revoked for 10 days because they used another method than before to load up their wallet. So be careful...

Acccent

Not at all! I was referring to them telling me you only get card drops in DOTA if you spend money on the game. Carry on!

haha, alright.

Anyway:
vote's in for Dishonored even though I didn't like it at all
and Sblargh collaboration is in progress
all is good

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed in how... un-gamey the whole summer sale card deal is. It just feels like any old regular slog for cards. And the background art for the cards is neat, but I feel like the sale page backgrounds could use some more spicing up. Where the hell are the 3 sale imps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom