• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
ijIizvXyCM3Ka.PNG

isnt this ilegal

I guess literally everyone is idling/farming

Nope.

As in, no I am not idling/farming.

Can't be bothered. If I get cards, yay, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get them.

Yet.

Prophane33

Just turned 40 last week, going to school full time, working part time.

Should have a second degree in Spring, still no FT job after being laid off 2 years ago.

Good luck! I just got done with my BA while doing the full-time school/part-time work thing, luckily I have a very understanding/patient fiance'.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why would Valve make it easy to get these cards just by leaving a game running? The whole thing sounds ridiculous anyway.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I will suggest a game(s) I was on the fence about for a long long time that I finally bought.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action.

I picked up the bundle this weekend and the game is sweet. Really enjoying it.

Cth

Thanks everybody!

It'll be my 2nd phone interview.

3rd group interview (what is it with these 1 hour, 4 person interviews anyways? :D)

Artanisix

Dust is pretty clearly Disney's Robin Hood inspired, rather than just *furry art*

Im not a huge fan of the artstyle, but the art itself is well done, and a pretty great achievement for just 1 guy. I get how it might not be everyone's cup of tea (it wasnt mine at first) but letting that get in the way of you enjoying such a great game is just silly.

Eh, it's a legitimate complaint. Loved the combat but I just could not got into the world at all due to the art style and voice acting.

cicero

So, I can't be the only one sending weird subject titles to ModBot.

Surely Stump isn't reading them :D

I was sending weird ones, until I sent one with the subject title "all your robot holes belong to me" and then silently wondered if Stump ever looked at his creations as extensions of himself. Stump was no robot, and certainly if he was one, his holes deserved better than me. He might have sent me no code in reply, or an even better one than I was expecting. Either option was frightening to me. I reformed my errant ways.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That's very cool, it seems like there's no real downside to the cards.
Except that it'll just lead to even more ridiculous stuff that economist has ready for us.

Caerith

What do you mean by furries? Is that the catch all term for anthropomorphic animals now? Or is it being used as an insult like "anime" or is a combination of both.

"Furry" is a catch-all for anything that isn't a bald man with a gun, and a lot of people who are avoiding Dust because it's "furry" are avoiding the trap where if they play it and like it the entire internet will pop out from under their bed and make fun of them.

Speaking of which, how is Dust? I know its made by a Gaffer, know its been recommended a lot, and that the word "Metroidvania" is associated with it, but is there any other personal recommendations you can give?
Like Dust:played Dust::Dislike Dust:Didn't Play Dust

It's a 2D action platformer/brawler with a mature moveset and lots of equipment to help tailor the experience to your preferred playstyle. It's beautifully-drawn and -animated, has excellent sound and music, and the writing is far better than you'd expect from a video game (much less one made almost entirely by one man and his script doctor). The dialogue is pretty fantastic and the characters unique and charming-- and, while your first impression of Fidget might be "furry Navi" she's actually endearing, really funny, and the Destroyer of Worlds (if you spec that way).

Dust isn't a true metroidvania-- not all areas are connected to each other, and you use the map to go from place to place-- but you will find yourself revisiting areas when you acquire new skills and keys. It's easy to see what zones you've completed and how much remains in each zone to be discovered and/or unlocked as well, so you won't be banging your head against the wall trying to figure out why you're not 100% yet. That said, the game can be quite challenging but not insurmountably so.

The game has lots of collectible cameos from other indies (like Meat Boy or The Kid from Bastion) but these feel organic to the world and their implementation is actually really, really clever (especially when you reach the Bastion part). The achievements are fairly challenging but not annoying or grindy, and runs smooth as silk with lots of setting options.

It was an interesting stylistic choice because it heavily contrasts with the very dark story involving a species wide genocide.

It was certainly a grimmer story than I would have expected.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was sending weird ones, until I sent one with the subject title "all your robot holes belong to me" and then silently wondered if Stump ever looked at his creations as extensions of himself. Stump was no robot, and certainly if he was one, his holes deserved better than me. He might have sent me no code in reply, or an even better one than I was expecting. Either option was frightening to me. I reformed my errant ways.

The few times I've logged into the account for debugging purposes pretty much every title has been kind of creepy hahaha. ModBot can handle it. He deletes his inbox every 90 minutes or so anyway so it's lost to the sands of time.

liezryou

Alan Wake's American Nightmare Still Up For Grabs. Perhaps i should have made it so one person won both o_O.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-A40FEC8393C512CF
Alan Wake Collector's Edition -- MB-052E5CC6D63CC12E - Taken by Widdly Scuds

Scrabble

This GAF hivemind doesn't exist.

Bullshit, If someone as much as says they prefer Skyrim over Dark Souls they are immediately thrown insults and called the reason for the dumbing down of games. If you like Assassin's Creed, well then you better keep it to yourself on gaf in fear of being ridiculed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom