• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty sure this is either the best or worst thing ever

ss_d908b914d3aac898e605cc6ec02b293619b1f06b.1920x1080.jpg

What???????????

Wurst

That game certainly did NOT deserve the 60 something ratings. Completely blows my mind .But you still should be warned that, while I love the older games as well, CivCity really feels like a more relaxed beginner game that isnt all too challenging (though still very satisfying to play). If you want the more challenging stuff, grab Children of the Nile, Grand Ages or Imperium Romanum.

Put them in my wishlist to check out later. Thanks a bunch!

FACE

Banned
Do they run well on Windows 7 64bit?
The problem with these old games, you never know if they're going to work.

You'll need TFix for Thief 1 Gold and Tafferpatcher for Thief 2. They come bundled with some graphical mods, but you can choose not to install them.

Edit: Do not install the games on a UAC protected folder like program files.

I have no idea how well Deadly Shadows works on Win7, but it's not as good as the first two games so you don't have to play it if it's too much work to make it work on Win7.

jtb

Banned
So, for a novice like me, will I like Football Manager?
I liked those type of games years ago when they were called in my country PC Football, becuase I love the management aspect of this types of games, getting your samml team to become a big one, etc...
But its too complictaed with this game?

it's very simple, at the end of the day all you're doing is choosing the lineups before match day. everything else is optional, and you can pick and choose which parts you want to play and which parts you want to sim. if you know anything about football/soccer, you'll be fine.

The_Monk

This thread is moving so fast that I have no idea what's going on.

Or maybe I should not be Downloading, Reading a book and GAFfing at the same time.

Prophane33

As an aside, I just saw that Double Fine had a bundle on sale.

Do the publisher packs/bundles usually show up later or do they stay unannounced?

They usually push them on the main page, this sale they've been kind of quiet about them; perhaps, there aren't a lot of publishers participating this sale.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was reading about it this morning and I was slightly intrigued. Any final words that might tip me into a purchase?

Well the stuff I wrote about it yesterday was:
It seems to be a mixture between a god game,a puzzle game and some 4X elements thrown in (research, expansion, war). Not directly a puzzle game, but how you need to make sure that your village prospers with limited amount of space and within the scope of that, there seem to be tons of possibilities for different plants, animals, minerals, which all have a different symbiosis to something to enhance the effect, giving it a bit of a 4X touch as well. Example: Blueberries give you 4 food, but if you upgrade them to strawberries you get 8 food and if the strawberries are next to another patch of blueberries, they get an additional 2 food on top. All this helps developing your villages, which in turn is needed to advance the powers of your giants. Its really slick and charming and considering the surprising amount of variation and possibilities (100 plants), I can see myself playing this for a while. Its also suuuper cool to just watch people doing their thing. They really managed to give this game a special touch.

and

You just notice the love and passion the devs have for the game pouring out from every inch of your screen when playing it. The game is by no means perfect, but the only thing to be a truly perfect game right now is more content to serve more variation in gameplay mechanics. The before mentioned leviathans or weather system would enhance the game a great deal and this depends on how much development the sales of the game can finance.

It just comes together so nicely. The unique way of progress, the amazing amount of detail in possible plant/animal/mineral combinations, the interactions of the villagers, the art style, etc. I actually played quite a few games more than Reus, but its one of those games that I just want to see succeeding.

I would like an explanation too. On this French website called Gamekult, which is not so good at rating indie games in fact, the game only got 6 out of 10.

I can totally see how some people used to bigger games might not like it. Its not a game with lots of thrills and requires some patience and planning. I recommend reading some impressions over in the OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558684

If you have anything else, just let me know what your concerns are (gameplay mechanics wise?) and I'll try my best to evaluate the game in that regard for you. I have no problem stating that a person might not like a game if it goes against what the game is going for, even if I love it.

Caerith

As an aside, I just saw that Double Fine had a bundle on sale.

Do the publisher packs/bundles usually show up later or do they stay unannounced?
In previous sales, publisher packs were sale-long. This year it seems they aren't doing them.

Is MotN good or is gaf hyping it up?

150% hype.

It's good.

Welp...Dust it is.

It's not the bad kind of hype, to my knowledge. It's just that people are singing this game's praises a lot around here. I just can't judge myself.

"Ton" of hype is greatly exaggerated. 98% (totally precise statistics) of all people in here didnt know anything about the game before it went on sale. But now a few guys bought it and I bugged others to try it, so yeah, people at least know it exists now.

I stand corrected. In that case, those few GAFfers that have played it are singing its praises.

Honestly, if I had five bucks right now, those GAFfers would've sold me on the game.

Caerith

If you have anything else, just let me know what your concerns are (gameplay mechanics wise?) and I'll try my best to evaluate the game in that regard for you. I have no problem stating that a person might not like a game if it goes against what the game is going for, even if I love it.
Hey person who has a name eerily-similar to the SpaceChem guy, did they ever increase the text size of the UI in Reus?

it's very simple, at the end of the day all you're doing is choosing the lineups before match day. everything else is optional, and you can pick and choose which parts you want to play and which parts you want to sim. if you know anything about football/soccer, you'll be fine.

Thanks!
Going to see some trailers then. Hope that you can create a team from 0 and elevate it to the stratosphere.
Do you need to choose an existent one, or you can create and name your own?

Crayons

Banned
I would just act as if I do not care, and the guy would stop spoiling the game because it is not fun anymore. I would certainly not run crazily and hurt myself, or worse.

Well clearly you only think logically.

different_zps1c30d45a.gif

Velcro.

Headphones.

Exiting the room temporarily for WC, phone call, or smoke break.

There are lots of ways to not overhear things.

It was outside.
I was putting on my headphones but I didn't have my Kindle on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom