• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sini

Fuck you too Bethesda
OPUBqm7.jpg
As soon as I started bitching about it, my friend decided to shut me up by gifting it to me.
909H3RT.jpg

That's like 200 steam games right there! I'll take Dust. Thanks.

I decided to put that $500 towards a computer that can actually play the games I have been buying.

Random question: Would an i5, 8GB ram, and a GTX 760 card allow me to play 360/ps3 caliber games with high detail and a good framerate?

I've been playing it on my family members computer and man, it just feels uninspired, unwilling to take risks. The co-op element seems cool, but ma even the scares are gone. And wtf is with the story.
The world and level design is bland, I'm so disappointed.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it exactly.

Salsa

speaking about doublefine people, I feel like Brad Muir has the smile glued to his face

i9lVukhFLJ4Z0.PNG

iHcVUWJusLb7I.PNG

I like to imagine he just sits there typing with this face

Brad-Muir-480x225.jpg

Prophane33

I wonder if I should download the HD texture pack for Sleeping Dogs

Specs: i7 930@2.80 Ghz
12 GB Ram
Radeon HD 6870

The problem is my monitor only displays up to 1600x900. Think it's worth it?

masterkajo

I decided to put that $500 towards a computer that can actually play the games I have been buying.

Random question: Would an i5, 8GB ram, and a GTX 760 card allow me to play 360/ps3 caliber games with high detail and a good framerate?

Almost certainly, yes. I have an i5, 4GB and a 7850 (~GTX660) and have no problem @ 1080p and on high to ultra @ 60FPS with most games.

According to Amazon, these are min. requirements to run Dark Souls:
Minimum Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+ or AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 GHz+
RAM: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 8 GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX+ or ATI Radeon HD 4870+
Additional Info: Steam account and Games for Windows Live required for game activation and installation

The GeForce 9800 has 512 MB RAM, so I'm afraid the Integrated IntelGraphics isn't gong to be able to run it. If you have a PS3 or 360, you can play it there, though.
Eh I don't know about minimum requirements and integrated graphics... I can run Dark Souls on low setting at about 15 fps on an Pentium B960 (2.2 GHz), 4 GB RAM, and no video card... a i3 is a good deal more powerful than my crappy setup isn't it?

Edwardo

I dunno how much of an audience this question will have here, but I'm looking for a good game to smoke to. Does Scribblenauts fit that bill? It looks pretty creative and like silly fun. Shooters are just too intense, always makes my high disappear twice as fast as if I had a relaxed game to play through.

I too am interested in this question.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
few questions-

what is the best bit trip game?

also if a game has NO DISCOUNT on it and has not had any discount since the start of the sale (kentucky route zero, trackmania valley) there is little chance they will get any discount this sale right?
Oh, oh, I know this one!

If you're talking about already released on Steam, then it's definitely Runner. That game mixes an extremely hard platformer with a sort of rhythm game, coupled with awesome chiptune tracks and nice graphics. To describe it more accurately, it's a rhythmic on-rails retro platformer. Fantastic, excellent and many more positive adjectives should be applied to it. Do get is as soon as it's a daily.

Void is another favorite of mine. This one's more free-form: you control a black hole that swallows black pills and has to avoid white ones. Very enjoyable, and for the first 2 stages it's much easier than the other games in the series, sans Flux. I'm not a big fan of the music in this one, which isn't to say it's bad, but it's not on par with that of the others.

Beat is a really cool and insanely difficult Pong-ish title, but with personality. Beats come rushing to your paddle and it's your mission to block them. But that won't be an easy task, oh no! Featuring a co-op mode with up to 4 players (only on Wii, sadly it didn't survive the jump to PC), you'll be entertained by great gameplay mechanics and distracted by trippy backgrounds. Get this one if you're brave enough. You won't regret it.

Fate is a 2D on-rails shoot-'em-up (actually it should be described as on-waves), featuring some characters from other indie titles, as well as our hero Commander Video and his cute friend, Commandgirl Video. Starts rather easy and quickly gains difficulty, to the point that the boss battles can become frustrating. Cool music, and it's fun for a while, but it never managed to hold my interest for long. Worth a try, you may end up liking it more than I did.

Core is a strange one. At first I hated it. It was boring and annoying, and after a few attempts I decided to forget it and jump right to Void. Fortunately I later realized the mistake of my ways, since it end up having one of the best soundtracks of them all. It's still hard, it's still my least favorite and I still can't beat that damned second level boss, but it's a good game nonetheless. Little warning: I found the PC port controls to be imprecise and delayed when compared to the Wii version, but I only tried it for a few minutes. I may have got a wrong impression, but I feel like I should mention it anyway.

Finally we come to Flux. The last game of the series, and the only one that hasn't appeared on Steam yet. What can I say? They saved the best for last. With the best soundtrack ever (each song is a different take on Beat's first stage music) and refined control mechanics, this one is not only my favorite Bit.Trip titles, but also one of my favorite 2011 games overall. You could call it a reverse Beat, but that would be underestimating this masterpiece. With a length of only an hour and change, it's a game that will leave you completely satisfied, and the difficulty, while still firm on the higher levels of the scale, is somehow softened by the addition of multiple checkpoints and infinite continues. Still it's no piece of cake, and I dare you to achieve Meta rank and keep it until you finish the level! Seriously, this one is a must-have along with Runner, and I'm getting it day one on Steam. If you like fun, challenging, engaging games with a huge replayability value, don't think it twice and get it too whenever it's released there, or grab it on Wii (either solo on WiiWare or with extra challenges as part of Complete) or 3DS (mind you, the framerate here is rather bad.)

You may have noticed that I'm missing Runner 2. That's because it's not technically a part of the Bit.Trip series, but rather a spin-off in the form of a sequel to one of the games. It has everything you liked from Runner plus many more stuff, so it's a must-have too. It's also MUCH easier, so if you got frustrated in the first one you should still give the sequel a chance.

Skab

speaking about doublefine people, I feel like Brad Muir has the smile glued to his face

i9lVukhFLJ4Z0.PNG

iHcVUWJusLb7I.PNG

I like to imagine he just sits there typing with this face

Brad-Muir-480x225.jpg

His D: face on twitter in response to Ryans death was easily the most heart breaking twitter message out there.

Mordeccai

Hrmm 760... the image quality will definitely be better than current gen games, and likely run all games you want to play at 60 fps, but if I were you I'd invest a little more in the card if you can. With next gen a few months away, that card won't cut it for long into the coming year. Processor and RAM are totally fine though.

Nabs

I can't believe how long it took to get all of the Mark of the Ninja drops. No dupes at least.

Time to find the rest.

2gb gtx 760 @ 1080p would run new games really well on high sometimes ultra. That's my setup right now

Gbraga

I want to give away Alan Wake because I really love it and I want as many people to play it as possible, but I feel like everyone has it already, anyone still on the fence about it?

Salsa

His D: face on twitter in response to Ryans death was easily the most heart breaking twitter message out there.

I almost brought it up recently in a condolences kinda way but I would have felt kind of like a dick, figured the mourning is kinda done

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Seriously, it was the first one to really get me.

I then watched that great video where Ryan was flipping the fuck out over young brad in some promo video for an old game and I felt better.

"You little nerd!"

Volotaire

I want to give away Alan Wake because I really love it and I want as many people to play it as possible, but I feel like everyone has it already, anyone still on the fence about it?

One of these two GAffers

I'm so close to putting down money on Alan Wake and Sleepy Dogs.

Soooooo close.

What's to say about Alan Wake?
Interested me for years but it turned out to be quite okish, so I never took another look.
Worth the 3€ or should I invest in something other?

EDIt; he's above!

Wonder if Dirt 2 is going to be a flash/daily at some point. Seems really unlikely, but I can always dream... Bought Knife of Dunwall just because I've heard great things, now just waiting for SASRT, which can't come soon enough...

Half the forum would have those tags.

That sounds pretty funny.

Eh I don't know about minimum requirements and integrated graphics... I can run Dark Souls on low setting at about 15 fps on an Pentium B960 (2.2 GHz), 4 GB RAM, and no video card... a i3 is a good deal more powerful than my crappy setup isn't it?

I hate to imagine the entire game running at Blightown-like fps.
I mean, yeah, your PC can kinda run the game, but with those frames I sure wouldn't be able to play it.

Nabs

Anyone mention that Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den Retail got added to the registry? Shit, I wonder how much longer.

Going to go see Pacific Rim in Imax 3D tonight, hopefully it's enjoyable. Love Del Toro so I expect to be entertained.

Would be wonderful to come home to a Men At War pack and Lost Planet 2 (come on steam)

You need PC GAF!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246

help will be on your way in this thread!

Thanks! Just subscribed. I feel kind of dumb every time I look at GPU's. :)

2gb gtx 760 @ 1080p would run new games really well on high sometimes ultra. That's my setup right now

Awesome!

Hrmm 760... the image quality will definitely be better than current gen games, and likely run all games you want to play at 60 fps, but if I were you I'd invest a little more in the card if you can. With next gen a few months away, that card won't cut it for long into the coming year. Processor and RAM are totally fine though.

I am looking at keeping my first build a bit modest and then investing in a $$$ GPU after the consoles have launched and people have a good idea of what it will take to run those games. Honestly though I am more interested in older games and indie than new AAA anyhow. :)

I hate to imagine the entire game running at Blightown-like fps.
I mean, yeah, your PC can kinda run the game, but with those frames I sure wouldn't be able to play it.
Haha yea, I don't actually play it, I just buy games, download them, and hope they play. If they don't I store them on an external drive to transfer to my (soon to be) desktop.

What I mean though is that an i3 processor can at least smoke my performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom