• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecl0n

remember when FEAR was kinda like a horror game

standard_F3_360_EPAShadowBridge.jpg

NOTHING SCARIER THAN MECHS

Didn't the first FEAR also have mechs?

Mupod

The greatest thing about OG FEAR is that fuckin shotgun. My god.

Also, the AI still impresses to this day, and makes most other shooters since then seem like they aren't even trying (because they aren't). And its jumpscares are unmatched in the field of jump-scare-ology.

It still looks good too.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls. :(

I can't believe I somehow missed it the first time.

It will be back, guaranteed.

WHERE the FUCK is my Gunpoint sale, Gaben? :*(

We could have voted on it, but the community failed.

Did you get Lost Planet 2 for 10 or did I miss a sale? Can't wait to get back into the PC version, spent around 60 hours with the console version. So underrated, seemingly like alll of Capcom's TPS work.

Somewhat related, but a PSA on the Lost Planet Series.

Lost Planet Extreme Condition is Steamworks.

Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition is GFWL.

Just a heads up.

How good is Crusader Kings II? I always been meaning to get into those kind of historical strategy games but I don't know where would be a good place to start.

FloatOn

Does anybody play Primal Carnage? Is there a large enough amount of people playing it to justify a purchase? Not gonna lie, playing as a dinosaur looks hilarious and badass and awesome all in one.

yeah I played it for a couple of hours. it's pretty amusing. really standard multiplayer though.

pretty much just your typical death match so it gets boring quick.

this game would have been the shit in 2002 though.

antitrop

Also, the AI still impresses to this day, and makes most other shooters since then seem like they aren't even trying (because they aren't). And its jumpscares are unmatched in the field of jump-scare-ology.

It still looks good too.
Give me some HD textures and I would re-install FEAR in a heartbeat.

Tenrius

About DunderHassan, I noticed that his price usually exactly matches the Russian store price. So my theory is that he's not buying the games for actual money, but rather is buying them for Steam wallet funds acquired somehow (probably by trading TF2 stuff), if he has direct access to the Russian store, that is (but he has only 23 market transactions on Steam, so the following is more likely). If he doesn't, he's probably getting the games from someone who does, again by probably trading TF2 items (crafting components, keys etc) and the person he's trading with is willing to buy the games in exchange for the items. Did you notice how much TF2 keys and valuable items he has in his inventory? I don't know anything about TF2 trading, so I might be assuming too much.

But really, I find it hard to believe nobody ever asked him about it (and that he didn't talk when asked). I personally never bought anything from him, but he seems to be a nice guy, judging by interactions here on GAF.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man when FEAR 2 came out I felt like the lonely FEAR 2 defense force. Everyone was shitting on it.

I do think the original is still unmatched in some ways, but I consider both among my favorite FPSes. 2 just feels right.

Honestly I think it's impossible to make a FEAR game I'll hate, the formula just works.
Same here. And I used to think the latter too, after loving the first game and the first expansion, really liking the second one, loving the sequel and liking the DLC.

Then I played the third one. And I learned that no franchise is sacred, and any can be ruined with a bad game. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but after a few weeks of finishing my second playthrough (on the highest difficulty and with Paxton Fettel) I suddenly realized that it was truly a disgrace to a franchise I loved so much.

With a near-300 ping, that's amazing
Haha, to be honest I don't pay much attention to it. I just assume that it's gonna be a laggy experience, and try to get it out of my mind and focus on the craziness that's going on.

ESF! You are a good person.
It was a really fun mod, though I never learned how to play it well. I was more a fan of Sven Co-op, which was my first co-op game ever without counting the Genesis Sonic games (which shouldn't count, since 2P Tails is barely playable) and Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

Tecl0n

It still looks good too.

I remember throwing a grenade to a pack of enemies, and evade it and try to flank me from both side, that was a memorable moment.

Slacker

What has been your biggest accomplishment in the game?
Landing on Minmus, planting a flag, and returning safely. Planning on establishing a refueling satellite after 0.21 is released.

Ok, here's a question.. presumably there's missions/goals?

Otherwise, once you launch that'd be the "end" of the game right?

Haven't looked at many videos for it.. I saw one once with Kerbal reactions but haven't dug deeper for info.. sell me on it by chance?

Right now it's basically a sandbox. You have to set your own missions and goals. For example:

- Launch a satellite
- Launch a Kerbal into orbit and return safely
- Land on one of Kerbin's two moons

Whatever you can come up with. I'm currently working on a rescue mission to retrieve an astronaut I stranded in orbit around Kerbin while trying to launch a satellite.

What the hell is this Kerbal game?
Space travel simulator. Like I've said many times over the last day or so that it's been on sale, if you are remotely interested in space travel, check out the demo before tomorrow at noon. It's a really neat game.

antitrop

But really, I find it hard to believe nobody ever asked him about it (and that he didn't talk when asked). I personally never bought anything from him, but he seems to be a nice guy, judging by interactions here on GAF.
My interaction with him was extremely pleasant and I hope to do business with him again in the future.

Somewhat related, but a PSA on the Lost Planet Series.

Lost Planet Extreme Condition is Steamworks.

Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition is GFWL.

Just a heads up.

Thanks again, really don't understand why Capcom went back and made the re-release GFWL. It'll be a wonderful day when they strip their games of the service
they won't

Why hasn't anyone made a FEAR texture pack by the way? It's a really popular and respected game, would have figured we'd have a Doom 3 style conversion by now.

FloatOn

Had no idea all those were daily deals.

some of them were hidden deals (75% off through the course of the sale) and some were stated by the devs that they were not going to get any cheaper (pinball fx 2 tables).

everything else was a daily except for lost planet 2 which I just kind of through caution to the wind on. I was already giving capcom money that day so why not?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Same here. And I used to think the latter too, after loving the first game and the first expansion, really liking the second one, loving the sequel and liking the DLC.

Then I played the third one. And I learned that no franchise is sacred, and any can be ruined with a bad game. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but after a few weeks of finishing my second playthrough (on the highest difficulty and with Paxton Fettel) I suddenly realized that it was truly a disgrace to a franchise I loved so much.

Haha, to be honest I don't pay much attention to it. I just assume that it's gonna be a laggy experience, and try to get it out of my mind and focus on the craziness that's going on.
FEAR 3 on the highest difficulty was almost a challenge. More than I can say for 99% of modern shooters.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone know if the current DayZ (modded Arma II) players will be able to play with DayZ standalone users? $8 is a great price for Arma II + the DLC required, but I won't bother if it isn't compatible with the standalone version coming up.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ah, sweet, my tax return arrived this morning.

You know, we're not even in the same country, but that message of yours made me remember that I, too, was supposed to be getting my Tax Return soon.

Surely, it also arrived today.

Tax Buddies!

El Sloth

Banned
Sorry if there's a simple way to check this, but does anyone here know whether Super Street Fighter IV: AE was a daily deal or if there has been a flash sale for it already? I haven't been paying attention.

Grief.exe

Thanks again, really don't understand why Capcom went back and made the re-release GFWL. It'll be a wonderful day when they strip their games of the service
they won't

Why hasn't anyone made a FEAR texture pack by the way? It's a really popular and respected game, would have figured we'd have a Doom 3 style conversion by now.

This isn't a rule, but typically games that have huge modding communities have the SDK available.

Doom, Crysis, Elder Scrolls, are good examples. Of course, there are many exceptions to the rule.

FEAR was developed on a proprietary engine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
About DunderHassan, I noticed that his price usually exactly matches the Russian store price. So my theory is that he's not buying the games for actual money, but rather is buying them for Steam wallet funds acquired somehow (probably by trading TF2 stuff), if he has direct access to the Russian store, that is (but he has only 23 market transactions on Steam, so the following is more likely). If he doesn't, he's probably getting the games from someone who does, again by probably trading TF2 items (crafting components, keys etc) and the person he's trading with is willing to buy the games in exchange for the items. Did you notice how much TF2 keys and valuable items he has in his inventory? I don't know anything about TF2 trading, so I might be assuming too much.

Where did this come from? Was there some controversy concerning him that I missed?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Sorry if there's a simple way to check this, but does anyone here know whether Super Street Fighter IV: AE was a daily deal or if there has been a flash sale for it already? I haven't been paying attention.

Was up for vote but lost badly.

Don't think there was anything but that so far.

Salsa

Where did this come from? Was there some controversy concerning him that I missed?

There's no controversy, dude is doing what he does and clearly getting money out of it. It's up to each person to decide if they're cool with that, and worth praising him for, or not. He aint doing anything ilegal.

This isn't a rule, but typically games that have huge modding communities have the SDK available.

Doom, Crysis, Elder Scrolls, are good examples. Of course, there are many exceptions to the rule.

FEAR was developed on a proprietary engine.

Yeah, I remembered Doom 3 had the SDK after posting that. Still, hopefully one day someone will put something out for Fear somehow. It holds up in the gameplay department but Office 3 gets a bit boring.

Did they ever make BFG compatible with mods by the way? Still, can't wait to go through it again when I get my Rift in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom