• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

NLhyYEZ.jpg

It's official. See you on the other side.

SS2 Modding Guide: http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/modding-guide/821/system-shock-2-steam-modding-guide

Nope, you are right.

Leave Saints Row 3 unfinished, though.

Saints Row 3 gets worse towards the end anyway, and the start is 20 hours of tutorializing side activities. Somewhere in the middle there's some fun to be had. Also the intro is pretty fun.

Edit: I did forget about the I need a hero section, yes much fun was had there too. Thanks NeoGaf.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Every sale I'm so torn on whether to buy Max Payne 3 or not. There's been at least five times today where I've been ready to hit the buy button, but then hold off. I don't mind cut scenes, but the game sounds super, super combat heavy and I recall the story sounding kind of really dark. That and I'm trying to cut down or even completely quit drinking, so I'm kind of worried about playing a game as a dude that is drinking and popping pain pills throughout.
Regarding the drinking part, you may relate to him. The game makes you care for the guy, and his depression and addictions play a big role in the events that happen. It may even be helpful to you in the end.

If you can afford it, give it a chance. Great game, and I really liked the writing and the way Max's character is portrayed.

It's worth noting that Max's drinking is not in any way portrayed as a positive thing, and referenced directly several times (in interesting contrast to the constant pill popping, which isn't really touched upon". It is a dark game though.

It's not really the context I'm worried about. I quit drinking in college once and I was clean for like two and a half years, but that first 30-to-60-day hump is tough to get through. The last time I quit drinking I automatically noticed how often alcohol is advertised and is everywhere you look. It's kind of like when you try to quit smoking and then suddenly notice every smoker everywhere and start getting cravings

Edit: But actually, it might be good to remind me how stupid drinking is, so it could help me. Besides, I haven't bought a big AAA game yet during the sale. So far I've picked up Call of Juarez Gunslinger (already finished, great game), Chivalry and Antichamber. I think I'm actually going to try use my Steam backlog to help me try to quit drinking. I figure, if I just play a game everynight in my backlog and I can get over that hump. Once you get over that hump, it's easy to not have cravings.

Nabs

Damn, I didn't realize Sleeping Dogs had "pay to win" DLc that was included in the $13 all DLC pack. Kinda sucked to already reach level 8 of 10 in all abilities right at the start of the game after the auto update.

There are guides for deleting the pay to win stuff. I recommend starting clean.

El Odio

Banned
Actually, I phrased that poorly. I meant, do I buy vanilla or Gold?
Gold is definitely worth the extra $5. In addition to new civs you get Gods and Kings which drastically improves the gameplay. It pretty much makes it a much better game than vanilla ever hoped to be.

Exeunt

This is fucking bad. All this talk of System Shock 2, made me check a let's play. I might ACTUALLY LIKE IT. For all the shit I talked about it.

I'm so sorry GAF for doubting you, this game actually looks like fun, despite its age.

I SEE THE LIGHT!

NLhyYEZ.jpg

It's official. See you on the other side.

I missed a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. giveaway defending System Shock 2's honour for you. You better like it now!

Let us know how it goes!

It's not really the context I'm worried about. I quit drinking in college once and I was clean for like two and a half years, but that first 30-to-60-day hump is tough to get through. The last time I quit drinking I automatically noticed how often alcohol is advertised and is everywhere you look. It's kind of like when you try to quit smoking and then suddenly notice every smoker everywhere and start getting cravings.

I can understand, just thought it worth mentioning that it's portrayed rather negatively.

aza

Anyone have an extra copy of Portal 2 they're willing to sell? Can PayPal $5 + fees for it, looking to pass the game on to a friend.

Exeunt

One of the only games I really want. I feel like it's too old for it to go on sale.

More like...

It's much better to buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and support the publishers.... oh wait.

Too dead. Or rather, the developer and publisher.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R goes on sale often

Didn't the last sale though

Yeah, from what I've seen, they went on sale pretty much every time except this one (minus the brief bundle incident). Whoops. Wrong year to get into PC.

$h@d0w

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shank 2 -- MB-B8A830F4B8633539 - Taken by unpurposed

iVMpz6FHxF3e6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom