• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It will impress the shit out of you. The dynamic situations the AI will create will have you wanting to tell stories about it.

There were plenty of people in the OT sharing stories of their unique interactions with the AI and some even made GIFs.

It's that good.
The enemy AI is brilliant.

The companion AI, on the other hand, is pretty awful.

You ought to play it though, because it's one of the best games ever, in my opinion.
Guys, please stop. I don't have a PS3, and comments like these are really tempting me to change that situation. Or ask a friend to buy the game on his PS3, or buy it myself for him...

Considering getting FEAR 1 & 2 hmmm
Stop thinking and act accordingly. You won't regret it.

I've never played the FEAR expansion packs, but I have every FEAR game on Steam.

Which is better, Perseus Mandate or Extraction Point?
Extraction Point is much shorter, if I recall correctly. I was able to beat it in 2 days, versus the 3 that PM took me. The main game also took me 3 days, but I think PM is a little shorter than that.

Regarding their quality... Mmm, it's hard, haven't played either in a long time (whenever I replay the games I always end up beating only the main game and stopping midway through EP, and never reach PM). In PM you don't play as the Point Man, but instead as another soldier. It takes placed right before the ending of the original game, in parallel to EP. Bear in mind that both expansions are non-canon now, so whatever happens in them is considered to be an alternate timeline/universe.

From what I remember, PM is the most interesting in terms of events and lore, since EP doesn't have much of a story, if any.
You just wake up after the ending of the main game, and have to reach the titular extraction point so you can leave Auburn.

If you have the time and feel like it, playing both isn't a bad idea. If you only want to play one, then maybe PM is the best choice.

What do you mean by arcadey games? I'm a little confused by that and then The Witcher.

I meant the witcher is perhaps the only game not arcade style that I like. For instance fighting games, shumps, etc. is mostly what i'm in to but is Deus Ex good enough like the Witcher to make me like it.

bakeray

Portal 2
Castle Crashers + DLC
Dishonored
Max Payne 3
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Bully
Deus Ex + DLC

thumbs-up.gif

FloatOn

It's really annoying me that I can't seem to simply talk about my experience about a game when it doesn't gel with the general consensus. Guess I'll just talk about games I like?

don't worry about it too much. I got so much hell for talking about how crappy alpha protocol is to me.

I will say though, if you can look past your issues with the driving mechanics the rest of the game is really ace,

zhorkat

Okay, I need some help.I bought You Need a Budget and I really like it but apparently everytime I start it up it lets my Steam friends know I'm using it, which is kind of embarrassing. Any way of disabling this so that it let's them know games I'm playing but NOT You Need a Budget?

You could set your status to offline while you're playing that particular game, and then set it back to online once you're done.

Gaf, which should I play first, Human Revolution or New Vegas?

Play Deus Ex HR for about 4-5 hours. This is the point where it goes from "wow this is a really good game" to "when does this shit end?". This is of course, otherwise known as the "sleeping dogs tipping point".

Then move onto New Vegas.

I meant the witcher is perhaps the only game not arcade style that I like. For instance fighting games, shumps, etc. is mostly what i'm in to but is Deus Ex good enough like the Witcher to make me like it.

Well it is an amazing game...so you don't have a lot to lose and I urge you to try it and SS2. But I'm guessing it probably isn't for you.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So tempted by Kerbal - I mean, space flight! How cool is that? The Shuttle program is one of my favourite things, EVER. I guess I'm the target market for this, then?

I'm just a tad concerned that I'd be lost and directionless with the whole sandboxiness of it as it currently stands, as I'm not the most creative and free-thinking guy.

Will install and tinker with the demo in the lead-up to the sale deal expiring - but is KSP recommended in its current guise for a 'technical' person to tinker with and make his own fun from?

There are pre-made rockets and stuff in case you want to just shoot into space. I'm not one to tinker but I'm enjoying the game. At times, I would just focus on building the most crazy looking thing and launching it.

The really cool thing is that stuff you do stays in your little world. For example, you launch your debris from it is floating in space. Your next launch will have to look out for that stuff lol.

Prophane33

No idea where all the New Vegas hate started coming from. I bought it during the winter sale because it seemed to be universally loved around here. Granted, I haven't played more than an hour of it (obviously, I have a backlog to grow) but I really liked what I played.

You need to vote for the farming simulator. And here's the reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Yes, we get it someone made a funny video of Farming Simulator. The thing is Euro Truck 2 is an actual good game, and deserves more sales.

I have already played Deus Ex Human Revolution on my 360 but I am tempted to double dip. Never played the previous ones, are they any good?

It's really annoying me that I can't seem to simply talk about my experience about a game when it doesn't gel with the general consensus. Guess I'll just talk about games I like?

I just thought it was a funny gif.
Honestly though feel free to share your opinion on games, just don't expect to not get a bunch of flak when you call a beloved game really disappointing without a whole lot of explanation.

Okay, I need some help.I bought You Need a Budget and I really like it but apparently everytime I start it up it lets my Steam friends know I'm using it, which is kind of embarrassing. Any way of disabling this so that it let's them know games I'm playing but NOT You Need a Budget?

Lol what is so embarrassing about it?

Edit: damn was beat by at least 5 other ppl.

Tecl0n

I have already played Deus Ex Human Revolution on my 360 but I am tempted to double dip. Never played the previous ones, are they any good?

You've never played Deus Ex? W....What? Deus Ex (The first) is, one of the greatest games ever concieved.

Crayons

Banned
Play Deus Ex HR for about 4-5 hours. This is the point where it goes from "wow this is a really good game" to "when does this shit end?". This is of course, otherwise known as the "sleeping dogs tipping point".
What. I was never bored while playing Sleeping Dogs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's my worst nightmare.

That's a lot of people's worst nightmare. Had more than a few emails about that one so thought I'd push out the bug fix right away. Sorry if that caused anyone any trouble!

BadAss2961

I really enjoyed Human Revolution. The hilariously dumb AI and disjointed CG cutscenes the only things that bring it down.

So has anyone ever bought Steam Wallet Cards from 7/11? I want to buy a $20 card but want to know how often the stores have the card stocked, compared to like a Gamestop or Best Buy

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

You're managing your finances? LOL you nerd loser. Go play with a calculator, geek. I'm playing Blops 2 bro, HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT?

Like others said, just start another game or use Steam to launch an app like Fraps or something

Tehalemi

You know GAF, when I joked that we might have a new thread almost every other day of the sale, I didn't expect you to take me seriously. xD

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Lower Trials Evolution even more oh merciful Gaben!

That's the last thing I really want to buy!

;-;

oipic

There are pre-made rockets and stuff in case you want to just shoot into space. I'm not one to tinker but I'm enjoying the game. At times, I would just focus on building the most crazy looking thing and launching it.

The really cool thing is that stuff you do stays in your little world. For example, you launch your debris from it is floating in space. Your next launch will have to look out for that stuff lol.

Thanks, GK - you've done nothing to douse my enthusiasm, so Gabe thanks you, too. :)

Will check out the demo tonight. Cheers.

MechaX

The Deus Ex pack is inciting... but Deus Ex 1 was a bit too aged for my tastes when I first played it, and... given all of the fervor about it, I don't think I should even play Invisible War..

But maybe this might be the I can finish Deus Ex 1!
or it'll go on my backlog like all of my other Steam games.

Downsampling from 1440p

All of a sudden random 480p cutscene

Thanks Consoles!

Not really the console's fault, PS3 has supported high quality cutscenes(and if anything uses them much more often than PC games) since day 1 and they could easily compress them with more care for the 360. Companies just don't put any effort into it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Enhanced Steam has been updated to v3.9.4 which includes an updated Spanish translation, a new Czech translation, and fixes a bug where all games were showing Tages DRM on the German Steam store.
Wow, Germans are really screwed. It wasn't enough with giving them censored games, now they also added Tages on top of that!

Bummer. I've got my Unreal, UT, Unreal 2, and UT2k4 discs sitting here on the CD rack at my desk. UT2k3 is... around. In a box somewhere, I think. I try not to think about UT2k3. UT3 I only own a digital copy of.
Was UT2K3 really that bad? I never understood the hate for that game. Of course, I never played it, and went straight for UT2K4.

Really? Mine's spiders.
Not this again. I don't have a phobia, but they are disgusting to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom