• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should. It looks so much better on a modern PC. Great textures and a ridiculous drawing distance. I actually think it looks better then Far Cry 3 in many ways.

Agreed. I have something like 31 hours in the PS3 version not even close to done but grabbed it for mods on PC and was surprised how much better it runs and looks on my laptop.

XShagrath

I did my part and voted for Van Helsing.

I know nothing about the game. But as has been said, Walking Dead has been on sale a jillion times before. I always try to spread my love to the things that haven't gotten the deep discount yet.

Thanks chugen~~~

ausuNNk.jpg

NeoGAF-Members are sooo nice~~
Thanks!!~~

Copons

I think it's time to come out: I voted for Surgeon Sim, even if I never played that nor I'm gonna do it anytime soon.
It was a too good trolling choice to just leave it there unclicked.

You're welcome, GAF!

Acccent

About games in the community vote having already been in the flash sales or daily deals, and vice versa:

I think that, besides the fact that obviously developers+publishers+valve have an agreement on what kind of discount each game will have (which leads to a limited pool of games being discounted -> the same games appearing in different sales sections), ...wait that aside was too long so I'll just start again

I think that the community choices are one of the numerous ways in which Valve polls the Steam userbase to get more info about it, what it wants, how it works, and how to efficiently extract money from it. If a game has been on sale and it's voted for later in the community choice, that's a valuable piece of info that coupled with other experiments can mean that either the first sale wasn't highlighted enough, or the way sales work aren't clear enough for most people (even here we need flashy gifs to remind everyone that prices are the same in all the sale sections), or the game is just highly demanded. Plus, it gives info on what kind of games have the most involved audience, and I wouldn't be surprised if the later community choice selections were decided depending on the previous ones' results.

Reposting this link which went unnoticed but is super interesting (even if it's nothing new, we all know that Valve toys with our minds): http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2013/07/the-psychology-behind-steams-summer-sale/

Tellaerin

Neither good or bad. will hold you attention for about a week before you get bored of the repetitiveness.

Like a MMO Borderlands, is another term I have heard used to describe the game.

Wonder if it's worth it if you're a fan of the show. Waiting until next June for season 2 is killing me.

Salsa

About games in the community vote having already been in the flash sales or daily deals, and vice versa:

I think that, besides the fact that obviously developers+publishers+valve have an agreement on what kind of discount each game will have (which leads to a limited pool of games being discounted -> the same games appearing in different sales sections), ...wait that aside was too long so I'll just start again

I think that the community choices are one of the numerous ways in which Valve polls the Steam userbase to get more info about it, what it wants, how it works, and how to efficiently extract money from it. If a game has been on sale and it's voted for later in the community choice, that's a valuable piece of info that coupled with other experiments can mean that either the first sale wasn't highlighted enough, or the way sales work aren't clear enough for most people (even here we need flashy gifs to remind everyone that prices are the same in all the sale sections), or the game is just highly demanded. Plus, it gives info on what kind of games have the most involved audience, and I wouldn't be surprised if the later community choice selections were decided depending on the previous ones' results.

Reposting this link which went unnoticed but is super interesting (even if it's nothing new, we all know that Valve toys with our minds): http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2013/07/the-psychology-behind-steams-summer-sale/

yeah, theyve talked about stuff like that publicly

basically just gather data and keep the community as active as possible, even if its just by clicking a button. Think about how much time youre actually active in the steam client doing something or another during the sales. Its more each year

I want to buy Doom 3, wondering if i should buy Doom 3 or the Doom BFG thing, wondering if both support 1920x1080 res?

I'd be inclined to say go for BFG for the following reasons:

- Carmack re-wrote parts of the renderer, giving an alleged better graphical experience with minimal performance impacts
- IIRC the textures are higher res
- Comes with versions of original Doom (although I understand parts are censored - Nazi stuff)
- Has additional levels

The GAF consensus appears to be that original Doom 3 is preferable if you're willing to take the time to mod it.

So there are the two options - pay your money and take your choice. Personally, I'd opt for BFG edition.

Arthea

This instance is the only such scenario I recall where there's only been two games available across the board rather that certain regions (due to unavailability).
Really? I've seen 2 games voting 3 times this sale alone. So, kinda assumed everybody must be used to it.
So, this time 2 choices for everyone?

you guys are slow, now I double posted. :(
sorry about that.

M.D

GAF, what should I buy?

I have $4 to spend and I'm thinking either The Knife of Dunwall (finished Dishonored recently, loved the game) or System Shock 2

I'm not sure how well SS2 holds up?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, I wish Dark Souls would go back to $7.99. I've been waiting here the past few days and while it's -50% off, I already own the console versions and bought the DLC expansion on PS3 for around the same price Steam wants for it currently. Which doesn't sit well with me in my wanting to get a second copy of it on PC

GAF, what should I buy?

I have $4 to spend and I'm thinking either The Knife of Dunwall (finished Dishonored recently, loved the game) or System Shock 2

SS2 for the price they're offering for it. Even if you don't like it you're only out $3-4 bucks.

Atruvius

I'd be inclined to say go for BFG for the following reasons:

- Carmack re-wrote parts of the renderer, giving an alleged better graphical experience with minimal performance impacts
- IIRC the textures are higher res
- Comes with versions of original Doom (although I understand parts are censored - Nazi stuff)
- Has additional levels

The GAF consensus appears to be that original Doom 3 is preferable if you're willing to take the time to mod it.

So there are the two options - pay your money and take your choice. Personally, I'd opt for BFG edition.

Dude, no! You can get Doom 3 looking infinitely better looking with mods, sharper textures and new graphic effects. Change gameplay to better by being able to carry medpacks with you, change move speed faster, etc. And the performance doesn't go down too badly, I could run it with 60FPS with the game looking amazing.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4385520&postcount=160
Link to Wulfentextures and sikkmod1.2 for Doom 3 + some other stuff in one download!

Buy Doom 3!

Seems a bit pointless when one game is excluded from the vote due to regional differences. The remaining two games are at a huge advantage there. Why not just include three games that everyone can vote for?

(Fake Edit: I realise that the current 2 game vote is universal and not related to regional differences)

Onionkid

GAF, what should I buy?

System Shock 2! Played a couple hours since downloading it on Steam, and it's as good as I remembered it being. Kicking my butt more than I thought it would at the beginning though, ha.

Dude, no! You can get Doom 3 looking infinitely better looking with mods, sharper textures and new graphic effects. Change gameplay to better by being able to carry medpacks with you, change move speed faster, etc. And the performance doesn't go down too badly, I could run it with 60FPS with the game looking amazing.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sikkmod/addons/wulfens-texture-and-sikkmod-12-working
Link to Wulfentextures and sikkmod1.2 for Doom 3.

Buy Doom 3!

Like I said, it's down to opinions. Some people may put more importance on the value added content that BFG edition provides.

For me, I'd rather have the improved version out of the box, without having to frig around with mods. For one, my poor SSD can barely fit much else on it and also, it seems a lot of hassle to throw something that's relatively unsupported in that could be game breaking in bizarre ways that may only become apparent 75% of the way in.

But that's me. Others live for that kind of shit. I think it's pretty obvious that by modding you can probably get an improved experience, but it becomes a time / value / effort proposition that I just don't really care for that much.

Like I said, it's down to opinions. Some people may put more importance on the value added content that BFG edition provides.

For me, I'd rather have the improved version out of the box, without having to frig around with mods. For one, my poor SSD can barely fit much else on it and also, it seems a lot of hassle to throw something that's relatively unsupported in that could be game breaking in bizarre ways that may only become apparent 75% of the way in.

But that's me. Others live for that kind of shit. I think it's pretty obvious that by modding you can probably get an improved experience, but it becomes a time / value / effort proposition that I just don't really care for that much.

I couldn't get those damn textures to work, lol. But yeah, some folks like the to play out of the box.

Atruvius

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. My SSD almost packed full even though I haven't installed any games there. But Doom 3 supports mod, iD even released the source code for free so there really isn't much to worry about mod compatibility with Doom 3. And installing the mod is really easy and fast, just unzip the mod folders into Doom 3 folder and then when in the game choose the mod from the mods menu. And the only bug I had with that mod was that mirrors sometimes didn't reflect the player character.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I couldn't get those damn textures to work, lol. But yeah, some folks like the to play out of the box.

I initially had trouble getting Sikkmod and the recommended high-res texture mod to place nicely (can't recall the name). Eventually I discovered that a lighting setting in the former that was causing the game's renderer to trip over itself; everything was fine thereafter.

anyone here who uses paypal, how can you move your pp balance into your available balance? Transfered money from my bank a week ago, and still can't access it fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom