• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri

MotN

Dishonored couldn't hold my attention for an hour. Horrid mechanics.
Wow, really? Thought people were praising the game for its mechanics. You know, like stealth game redefined or something.

I've only played Mark of the Ninja so I can't decide for you, but I'll tell you that Mark of the Ninja is a great 2D stealth game with great style and mechanics. I've heard Dishonored is great too, so you really can't go wrong.
Looks decently coolish. Not a super fan of the flash game look. Great gameplay is interesting though. Especially in a ninja game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, really? Thought people were praising the game for its mechanics. You know, like stealth game redefined or something.

As a stealth game, Dishonored is decidedly average. The game is at its best when you embrace the wide variety of lethal approaches offered by combining the various powers and weapons.

glaurung

Just crafted the Summer Sale badge - also my first crafted badge.

Since I had sold some cards for scraps earlier, I decided to purchase my final missing Football Manager card on the marketplace. That was horrible - clicking on the first listed entries constantly gave the error: this item has already been purchased by someone else.

Eugh.

NZNova

As a stealth game, Dishonored is decidedly average. The game is at its best when you embrace the wide variety of lethal approaches offered by combining the various powers and weapons.

Bolded for truth. There's not much challenge in stealth when you can teleport behind people and choke em out.

Like you said, it's more fun when you do things like this.

H3xum

Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja?

If you have no backlog and you're going to play either game right now, get Dishonored.

It's fantastic, looks great, surprisingly fun story for as corny as the premise is.

However, if you have a backlog and you're not going to get around to it for a minute, get MotN and swoop Dishonored with its DLC at the Winter sale for probably the same price as the vanilla game is right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just crafted the Summer Sale badge - also my first crafted badge.

Since I had sold some cards for scraps earlier, I decided to purchase my final missing Football Manager card on the marketplace. That was horrible - clicking on the first listed entries constantly gave the error: this item has already been purchased by someone else.

Eugh.

Yeah, the Summer Sale cards sell like hotcakes.

Does that audio program support 3rd party vst plugins? Lol I think its funny that they're charging extra for more synths and instruments as dlc.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I bought Torchlight II for 50% off when it was obviously going to drop even more in price. Fuck me and my impulses.
southpark_tearlick.gif

There's only one rule. And you broke it.

Did I already miss Batman being on deep discount and odds on it coming back around? I see that it's 50% off right now but curious if it got to 66 or 75. I've been checking now and then but I missed a few early days to vacation.
Arkham City GOTY was $4.70 on GMG once.

glaurung

The problem I had was the game punishing you for not playing stealthy
I only recently completed my no-kill and no-alert playthrough on the PS3 (no-alert trophy glitched out, did not get it). I enjoyed it a lot, but there are key levels with excel and some others, that are just boring. Also, you become hideously overpowered with the advent of stopping time and level two blinking.

About games in the community vote having already been in the flash sales or daily deals, and vice versa:

I think that, besides the fact that obviously developers+publishers+valve have an agreement on what kind of discount each game will have (which leads to a limited pool of games being discounted -> the same games appearing in different sales sections), ...wait that aside was too long so I'll just start again

I think that the community choices are one of the numerous ways in which Valve polls the Steam userbase to get more info about it, what it wants, how it works, and how to efficiently extract money from it. If a game has been on sale and it's voted for later in the community choice, that's a valuable piece of info that coupled with other experiments can mean that either the first sale wasn't highlighted enough, or the way sales work aren't clear enough for most people (even here we need flashy gifs to remind everyone that prices are the same in all the sale sections), or the game is just highly demanded. Plus, it gives info on what kind of games have the most involved audience, and I wouldn't be surprised if the later community choice selections were decided depending on the previous ones' results.

Reposting this link which went unnoticed but is super interesting (even if it's nothing new, we all know that Valve toys with our minds): http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2013/07/the-psychology-behind-steams-summer-sale/
Thanks for the link. I'm a psychology major so that was a fascinating read

mclem

It just dawned on me I only need 5 cards..I thought I needed like 25! lol

Well, if you want to level to max, you do. Each craft gives you one level of the badge, and it levels up to five. You can also craft foils into a (separate) badge once.

bootski

Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja?

man i just got MotN and man is it good. it's the first 2d game that ive really enjoyed in quite a while and can see playing to the end. i havent played dishonored, but it kinda looks (from gameplay vids) like a combination of thief, assassins creed and max paynes bullet time thrown together.

Petrie

Banned

To each their own. I didn't care for them at all. And I continue to hate when games make you go into a new view to find stuff, like the hearts in dishonored or Batvision in the Arkham games. Combine that with horrible AI where people don't see me right in front of them essentially.

Sarcasm

Well, if you want to level to max, you do. Each craft gives you one level of the badge, and it levels up to five. You can also craft foils into a (separate) badge once.

Oh...eh...totally lost interest. What do you even get for doing that Oo

Okay then! Time to give back to the givers

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-8F8DA2AC69C3CD56 - Taken by Addnan

On an unrelated note - can any kind NAer gift me Tomb Raider: Anniversary for Paypal? Can't buy it solus in EU :(

cicero

anyone got something to trade for system shock 2 + mcpixel

Tomb Raider: Anniversary and a stunning pair of 10% Off Toki Tori 2+ coupons! Calm yourself down though, you don't have to furiously mash keyboard keys and your mouse to get me a private message in record time, anytime soon is fine.

Addnan

Okay then! Time to give back to the givers

On an unrelated note - can any kind NAer gift me Tomb Raider: Anniversary for Paypal? Can't buy it solus in EU :(

I got it. Thank you

Now to give one away.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Castle Crashers -- MB-3136B0A2B7152C09 - Taken by H3xum

I hated the game when I rented it last year. But once I saw a few vids of people going all out, I was like "HOLY SHIT!" Just grabbed it of Steam to give the game another shot. Was going to wait, but fuck it. I notice I didn't go over my budget, and I still have 20$ on my wallet. Good summer for me and the indie games that I grabbed.

I would be careful reading about what people think about audio programs, I have learned that a lot of people that are involved with audio are really, really, really, really stupid and rude (I just read one of the threads on the steam forum for this program and I want to kill myself).

Also found a comparison of program features http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentati...c Creator 6 Touch&Lang=EN&Req=Comparison.html
Seems to only support 8 VSTi per a project, so you might need to bounce down tracks a bit.

Yes, I know how those people are.. :)

Thanks for the chart, I was looking for one, but didn't find it.

Cons for me:

1 - The program will only run in 32 bit mode.
2 - 8 instruments max ( this is a huge con for me ).
3 - Very few included effects ( only tempo delay ? and no parametric EQ? )
4 - No arpeggiator?.

I can live with the cons except the 8 instruments max, I'm not a fan of freezing tracks.

But it's cheap... Wish someone who actually has it can comment.

If it was 75% off would be a sweeter deal, at 17€ I'm on the fence.

Just done the first three levels in MotN.

This game is seriously good. I usually hate stealth games and feel cheated when I get caught most of the time. The mechanics here are seriously good, the level design is good, and the art style is brilliant. Plus the story is told through these cartoon type cutscenes which are beautiful. I'd highly highly recommend it, probably my favourite game I've picked up through the sale so far along with Sleeping Dogs.

Still looking for someone to gift me the uncut version of Sleeping Dogs. Carfo was so kind and tried, but his Paypal account doesn't accept payments from outside the US. Would anybody be so kind and help my out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom