• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Marrec's Opinion of Gunpoint:

Gunpoint is one of those games where the part's equal up to much more than their sum. The actual mechanics of jumping around the levels feels highly refined and tight. The animations for both launching the jump and landing add to it's appeal and the fact that it's not a simple one to one button press to jump makes it feel like a much different game than something like 'Mark of the Ninja'.

The writing reminds me of noir. If someone read about what noir was all about and then decided to make it fit within a self-aware video game universe. It's not as super self-serious as the noir in Deus Ex but it still ends up feeling very genuine and surprisingly clever.

The puzzle mechanics are what make it really stand out though. If you've played Stealth Bastard then you kind of get the idea. You're jumping around a level and hacking into certain areas of that level, then redirecting the function of certain electrical things within that area. This light switch used to turn on and off a light, but once you hack it you can make it open and close a door. That basic mechanic is spread out through multiple interactions throughout all the levels and creates a sort of emergent puzzle solving quality to the game.

You can also just bash your way through levels, though this is very hard to pull off without dying multiple times.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Soooo, are any of the LEGO games good? I'm kinda equally passionate about all the IPs (about a 7) so the setting won't impact my feeling too much. Which has the best production/gameplay?

Amzin

So Strike Suite 0 is -75% atm and the community vote is -66%? Nice.

Yea it makes me wonder if it's not SUPPOSED to be 75% off right now. I picked up Infinity for now, will wait on Zero and see what happens with the price.

Anyone that played Evoland can tell me why the Metascore is so low? It looks like a fun little game, is it just because it's short or is it tedious as well?

Grief.exe

War of the Roses for 5 bucks is tempting. I have a feeling I'll get owned in that game for a long time because the learning curve is so high.

It's a great game, especially for that price. Much better than Chivalry I'd say.

The huge difference between War of the Roses and Chivalry is the combat.

War of the Roses melee combat has less depth and ends up being very spammy.

Chivalry has an incredibly deep melee system that is easy to pick up, but takes a long time to master.

Isn't there an online store that sells Steam keys for those packs?

I don't have the base game on Steam, so I don't think I could just buy a Steam key anyway.

Dammit, it's really just a GFWL key in the first place, I think the content is already included in the base game and just needs to be activated.

Amzin

Soooo, are any of the LEGO games good? I'm kinda equally passionate about all the IPs (about a 7) so the setting won't impact my feeling too much. Which has the best production/gameplay?

The LOTR Lego is probably the best one, although there's a couple 'platforming' sections that are frustrating because of shitty detections. If you don't have someone to play with, the Batman 2 one is also good, but the autosave locking the game for 5 seconds gets really lame when playing with someone else.

Prophane33

I got War of the Roses for free when Paradox gave it out to Forum members, I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I hope Chivalry goes on sale again.

Fireblend

Banned
Need someone to help me get 3 copies of Dark Souls (region restrictions). Would any US gaffer be able to help? I can pay over PayPal.

Parallacs

So Strike Suite 0 is -75% atm and the community vote is -66%? Nice.

And I am a stupid idiot for voting for it haha. I didn't vote for the other two because I already own them.

Hopefully valve stacks the percentages (not likely) or replaces the game with something else.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The LOTR Lego is probably the best one, although there's a couple 'platforming' sections that are frustrating because of shitty detections. If you don't have someone to play with, the Batman 2 one is also good, but the autosave locking the game for 5 seconds gets really lame when playing with someone else.

How many ppl can you coop with? Online coop right? Can you join random games, or do you need friends?

How active is the War of the Roses community? I already have all the Mount & Blades games, so I'm looking to try out WotR if the online players are still plentiful.

Copons

It's a rule that's stopped me spending more than £10 in the last few sales. Worth sticking by.

It has been my rule for the last couple of sales, but this time there are truly plenty of games I'm interested into and at prices I'm ok spending.
BTW I've spent 20-25€, so I'm not going to be broke, it's just that I'm saving to buy a new PC and I'm in that loop where you think "why buying a new pc if you don't have games to play" and "why buying new games if you don't have a pc to run them" -> mind blown.

Or, I could stop all this madness and consider working some time today, instead of refreshing GAF.
Yeah, right.

Sullichin

How do Mount & Blade and War of the Roses compare to Chivarly?
Do either of them have a single player mode? Good character customization?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It looks amazing, it's "indier" than most titles, it has good music.

Other than that, I don't see a reason. Gameplay looks quite boring. Mark of the Ninja feels like a better purchase, as they're similar (I said similar, hold your horses everyone).
I'll have to try the demo then. Don't really see the appeal from what little I've heard about it.

MotN is a really good game, though I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to.

What is Strike Suit Infinity ($1.75) vs Zero? It says it's Zero's "evil twin," an arcade-like game.... can anyone with experience explain a bit more?

Dark Souls. Such a good price. The game is BRUTAL but also so darn rewarding.

Beating this sucker for the first time was such a joy.

f8062978_DATA.exe_DX9_20130716_164832.jpeg

And this sucker just kinda blew me away.

Now THAT'S a dragon. No idea if you can kill that thing. I took some screenshots from a distance and got the crap out of there.

Cth

Gunpoint has a level editor going for it as well as director commentary (if you like that sort of thing)

Not sure what the level community is like though.

MadSexual

The SSZ situation is driving me crazy. I'm on the fence at the current $5 and can probably hold out, but if the community vote % is an error and it's going even cheaper, then I'm all over it! No way at all I'm buying at 66% though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Okay now Gunpoint is price-matched on the official website: http://gunpointgame.com/

A note on this: If you want to support a developer, it is sometimes better to buy on Steam as it then gets placement on the top sellers list and therefore more exposure and more sales.

It's a balancing act, so just buy it where it is most convenient for you.

Edit: I need to double check where my posts fall, as this is going to get ignored.

Sullichin

Now THAT'S a dragon. No idea if you can kill that thing. I took some screenshots from a distance and got the crap out of there.

You can kill the dragon, but it's hilariously powerful/resilient for the amount of souls it drops.

Noaloha

Well, shit.

I want to get Fallen Enchantress: LH and Steam/Stardock won't let me. The store page only shows two pieces of DLC for FE:LH. I see on the Steam forums that this is a widespread thing.

Fuck.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Use arrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom