• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Information for the day

Arkham City, along with Bioshock 2, might be getting GFWL and Securom removed.

Dark Souls Mod Guide
Deus Ex Mod Guide
System Shock 2 Mod Guide

I would suggest voting for Awesomenauts, both Strike Suit Zero and Bastion have already had deals this summer sale. The former has actually been a better deal than the -66%, and is currently on sale right now for -75% off.

Looks like Fallen Enchantress, Warband, Dead Island Riptide and Ace of Spades got Steam cards today.
Super helpful list. Get Salsa to add it to the OT.

Salsa just wants to make GIFs.

Has The Swapper been on highlighted sale?

Yes

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/231160/the-swapper

Oh, ok.

Yeah I installed the game in C/Users, so it should be ok.

That's kind of a random place, but will work fine.

Two things:

1. Buy Gunpoint.
2. Any new cards today?

Yes, check my PSA post.

Incredipede, in addition to not having cards, is at a disadvantage in that it's already super cheap: an 80% discount is a saving of just $2.

Sure, I know, it would never win a vote (it's also way too obsucre), but maybe it will come back as a regular flash deal. I want to save those $2!

Wok

Seeing Gunpoint as a flash makes me hopeful that we will see Incredipede for 80% off come back.

Now that was a discount that's worth getting excited about.

I agree. I have played in for free on Google Chrome Linux and the game is better than I would have thouht.

marrec

Banned
I have 8 bucks left in my wallet and not a lot of games that I'm itching to buy.

Gunpoint or Dark Souls?

What do you want out of a game?

I've yet to play Dark Souls, but from what I've heard it has an amazing depth and difficulty that is unrivaled by almost anything out today. The antithesis of most Western RPGs from the likes of Bethesda and Bioware.

Whereas Gunpoint:

Marrec's Opinion of Gunpoint:

Gunpoint is one of those games where the part's equal up to much more than their sum. The actual mechanics of jumping around the levels feels highly refined and tight. The animations for both launching the jump and landing add to it's appeal and the fact that it's not a simple one to one button press to jump makes it feel like a much different game than something like 'Mark of the Ninja'.

The writing reminds me of noir. If someone read about what noir was all about and then decided to make it fit within a self-aware video game universe. It's not as super self-serious as the noir in Deus Ex but it still ends up feeling very genuine and surprisingly clever.

The puzzle mechanics are what make it really stand out though. If you've played Stealth Bastard then you kind of get the idea. You're jumping around a level and hacking into certain areas of that level, then redirecting the function of certain electrical things within that area. This light switch used to turn on and off a light, but once you hack it you can make it open and close a door. That basic mechanic is spread out through multiple interactions throughout all the levels and creates a sort of emergent puzzle solving quality to the game.

You can also just bash your way through levels, though this is very hard to pull off without dying multiple times.

So it's up to you. Both games are great.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I switched over steam accounts recently and have Dark Souls on my old account but haven't played it yet. Have it on PS3 and got to
Ornstein and Smough
but really want to play it with Durante fix once I build a new computer. I would also like it in my new steam library. Do I buy it for the new steam library?

I know the answer is yes

Yes. I'm in the same boat and I did it.

Mordeccai

Please community... please, vote SS0, I have never seen this game before but it looks BADASS.

I have a sinking feeling Bastion is gonna win.

marrec

Banned
Oh if you're going to buy Gunpoint, be warned that the game takes 3-4 hours to complete the first time, but multiple playthroughs are encouraged.

Gunpoint is only 3hrs long so if you want to get the most out of your $$ then DS.

Yeah, this is a good point. I've heard a lot of really great things about both games, and I think I have enough short indie games to plow through that I could use a lengthy game for once.

Thanks for the advice, guys

nexen

Does Strike Suit Zero play any better than Strike Suit Infinity?
Because I really disliked the way the mech controlled in Infinity. It had no inertia.

ss_lemonade

I'll probably start System Shock2 this weekend. Is it better to experience the game unmodded or should I just go ahead and start installing texture and other visual mods from the get go?

Valve is reviewing the cards now. Hopefully they find the jokes...acceptable.

It's a set of five, because I'm just as lazy as everyone else. = D

This is great. I'm not a hardcore card guy, but I've been having a bit of fun trading and completing a set or two. And I've found that if you get 4-5 random drops for a set of 9 or 10 for a game you get better XP for the $ by trading those to complete smaller 5-6 card sets. At least that's what I'm doing.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Do you guys think Gunpoint will go lower?

ibpbCjNo35I8zV.gif

ilnRBXa3tuIwI.gif

Grief.exe

I'll probably start System Shock2 this weekend. Is it better to experience the game unmodded or should I just go ahead and start installing texture and other visual mods from the get go?

Up to you, but visual mods don't fundamentally change the experience.

Just make the visuals more appealing. I played with the visual mods for my first time.

marrec

Banned
Well in the case of games like these, it very well might.
The problem is that you're comparing a lengthy AAA jRPG to a highly refined albeit short indie title. Playing Gunpoint is a joy in every aspect, and even though you'll only play it for a few hours before finishing it the first time, every single moment of play is a great experience. Playing something like Dark Souls (I assume, I haven't played it yet) is different, the gameplay is still highly refined, but in a different direction.

Sullichin

Surprised at how many people seem to care about making badges. I'm amazed when I see some people on my friends list with level 5 badges for games they have 0 hours played. So.. they just bought those cards just to increase their steam level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom