• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that you're comparing a lengthy AAA jRPG to a highly refined albeit short indie title. Playing Gunpoint is a joy in every aspect, and even though you'll only play it for a few hours before finishing it the first time, every single moment of play is a great experience. Playing something like Dark Souls (I assume, I haven't played it yet) is different, the gameplay is still highly refined, but in a different direction.

It's not really different in Dark Soul's case, every moment is a joy as well, just simply watching the characters animate and stare at the world is pretty joyful.

derExperte

You're assuming length = value.

Blah.

As great as those 3 hours were I thought Gunpoint was too short. Not 'it's so good I wish there was more'-short, it was 'that's it? there should have been more levels'-short. And many people agree. For 6$ it's less of a problem but if someone has to decide between this and DS length can be a deciding factor.

Dude!! VOTE STRIKE SUIT ZERO. The discount just jumped to 85% on the vote!! Price would be $3.00. I want it! Fix that PSA and vote SS0!

Still nothing for me.

Only thing I've bought so far is KotOR II

I want Rogue Legacy to go on sale....

Hmm....I am tempted by Gun Point though

Parallacs

I'll probably start System Shock2 this weekend. Is it better to experience the game unmodded or should I just go ahead and start installing texture and other visual mods from the get go?

I just played it unmodded. The graphics are fine.

The game's atmosphere will make you forget about the graphics after a few minutes anyways.

The problem is that you're comparing a lengthy AAA jRPG to a highly refined albeit short indie title. Playing Gunpoint is a joy in every aspect, and even though you'll only play it for a few hours before finishing it the first time, every single moment of play is a great experience. Playing something like Dark Souls (I assume, I haven't played it yet) is different, the gameplay is still highly refined, but in a different direction.

I won't say that you're wrong about Gunpoint being "highly refined," but I don't think it's wise to argue against Dark Souls without playing it. It's like nothing else, and there aren't many indie games that can begin to compare to it. And yes, I love indie games too.

Sorian

Banned
There's a difference between value and quality.

Value depends on the money expent. Quality does not takes into account the price

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Coppertop-AA-Batteries-20-Count/dp/B002UXRXEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374085681&sr=8-1&keywords=batteries

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-Cell-Pack-Battery-723443/dp/B002PY7P4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374085677&sr=8-2&keywords=batteries

These batteries disagree with you. They are almost the same price but one comes with much more (quantity), what makes up the price discrepancy? Quality

gU0Hdiv.png

Just noticed it's my Steam anniversary today.

Dark Souls is one of the greatest gaming experiences out there. To get the entire game plus the DLC for just $7.50 is ridiculous value. Its worth paying $60 to play.

Agreed. I paid full price at launch myself.

And you are assuming value = quality

Nope. I was just stating that length does not equal value, which is what the post I was responding to was saying.

and you are assuming that two equal length bars arranged on top of each other = equality

Yahtzee!

No, imagine Bad rats for 0.1€ and dark souls for 1000€. Bad rats is better value, but dark souls is better quality

BLunted

Banned
Dark Souls is one of the greatest gaming experiences out there. To get the entire game plus the DLC for just $7.50 is ridiculous value. Its worth paying $60 to play.

I am reluctant to get it. I have demon souls on PS3, but couldn't get in to it. The combat was good, but there didn't seem to be any rpg elements like story or towns to visit. I had no clue what was going on, just running around fighting stuff.

Admittedly, I only played a couple hours before getting bored, but did I miss something?

Sorian

Banned
No, imagine Bad rats for 0.1€ and dark souls for 1000€. Bad rats is better value, but dark souls is better quality

No, in that scenario, Dark Souls is still the better value but then again, when it comes to economics, you can't realistically go to extremes like that anyway.

tbhysgb

Got dark souls up and running without a problem. Gave me no problems before DSfix, and after DSfix no issues either. Looks pretty damn good.

hlhbk

Got dark souls up and running without a problem. Gave me no problems before DSfix, and after DSfix no issues either. Looks pretty damn good.

Is there a step by step guide to apply DXfix? I was attempting to do it a few weeks back and got lost.

Terra_Ex

Surprised at how many people seem to care about making badges. I'm amazed when I see some people on my friends list with level 5 badges for games they have 0 hours played. So.. they just bought those cards just to increase their steam level?

I'm very thankful to these kind people, they've funded most of my new acquisitions during this sale.

Surprised at how many people seem to care about making badges. I'm amazed when I see some people on my friends list with level 5 badges for games they have 0 hours played. So.. they just bought those cards just to increase their steam level?

badges can increase your steam level which in turn increases the droprate of booster packs

Grief.exe

Updated PSA for SS0

Information for the day

Arkham City, along with Bioshock 2, might be getting GFWL and Securom removed.

Dark Souls Mod Guide
Deus Ex Mod Guide
System Shock 2 Mod Guide

I would suggest voting for Awesomenauts, both Strike Suit Zero and Bastion have already had deals this summer sale. The former has actually been a better deal than the -66%, and is currently on sale right now for -75% off.
EDIT: Strike Suit Zero's pricing just got updated to a -85% discount, that means it will be the lowest price the title has ever had. That makes the the vote choice entirely subjective at this point, either vote for Awesomenauts to give it some marketing or vote for SS0 to get it at its lowest price. No reason to vote for Bastion.

Looks like Fallen Enchantress, Warband, Dead Island Riptide and Ace of Spades got Steam cards today.

Is there a step by step guide to apply DXfix? I was attempting to do it a few weeks back and got lost.

Read the Readme file...

I just voted on whatever since I didn't like the SS0 price and don't care for the others.

I feel terrible now :C

Always check in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom