• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugatu

Hey everyone, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this but I noticed The Walking Dead was on sale and I remembered it had issues with save files being corrupted and I was wondering if this was ever addressed or fixed or if there was any way to avoid it? Thanks!

I played through it and never had that problem. I've never really heard much of that problem wither though.

I do know that it does still have the stutter issue and that can get annoying but it didn't really happen to me when I was in control so it never impacted the gameplay itself.

Speaking of the "Years of Service" badge, I did some investigation on what caused me to create a Steam account since the date was provided to me.

It was Geometry Wars release date.

FYC

Banned
Ace of Spades is a clusterfuck of a game. It has potential but Jagex loves to take one step forward, five steps back. Just browse their official forums for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Not worth it. It's going to go free to play, or it'll die before the end of the year.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, I find all this stuff pretty stupid. I'd understand and I'd actually want some badges if they were tied to achievements or something, but as it is it just doesn't hold any value to me.

You know whatever floats their boats I say. I think it's stupid but obviously they don't think it is. So who am I to tell them what to waste their money on. That's how I look at it anyway.

hlhbk

I will hit 9 years on August 28th. Ahh the good ole days where Steam constantly crashed and it took 5 hours to download the unlock key for HL2. I do have a question what makes you hit certain levels on Steam? I am a level 11 and have no idea how?

Pretty sure I joined the first day of Steam, whenever that was. At that point I was plaing many hours of TFC everyday and I remember hating the new interface.
Wikipedia says July 31st was the day WON shut down so I'd guess sometime in July 2004 would be the earliest for the mainstream. If you were a CS 1.6 beta tester, you had it in 2002 though.

Weird - me too. 9 years of service today (July 17 2004).
It's probably the day Steam public launched, it seems like a lot of people have it on this day.

Dave Long

Banned
Fucking Steam Sale. I wasn't going to buy anything except Dark Souls and it had to be under $10. Sigh.

I tossed in Satazius and Ether Vapor Remaster because I like shooters and wanted to see the full games for awhile now. That's it! Fuck you Steam!

Cth

I first registered when I picked up Half Life 2.

Took forever, as I bought a used copy from Ebay for $1.00 or something.

Xyber

Hrmm....

I know you have to install and then update via GFWL first, Then adding the DSFix should sort it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488088&page=181

Jump here for the DS community.

Update via GFWL? How would I go about to do that? I did re-install GFWL with the file that is in the redist folder, but that didn't do anything. It doesn't look like it's actually GFWL that is crashing the game either. Just get APPCRASH DATA.exe as the reason.

Tesseract

Banned
the horror.

FJSXcuk.jpg

Do you think the DLC is worth it? I don't know if I should get the franchise pack, $10 isn't exactly cheap for me.

I haven't played Heroes of the Fleet so I can't advise. What I can tell you is that the main campaign took me about 10 hours to beat, though if you're really awesome at the game it'll probably be more like 7 hours. I think you can afford to not get the DLC, and Infinity looks like more of the same but framed differently so you can probably just stick with Zero and see how it grabs you. Worst-case scenario, wait till the winter sale to pick up the rest if it turns out you love SSZ and can't live without the other stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I will hit 9 years on August 28th. Ahh the good ole days where Steam constantly crashed and it took 5 hours to download the unlock key for HL2. I do have a question what makes you hit certain levels on Steam? I am a level 11 and have no idea how?

Normally stuff on Steam is pretty well explained if you actually look for the answer. For example, to understand what profile levels refer to and how they work, click on your profile's level

You get brought to the badge page (okay, so levels are linked to badges!), the top of which looks like this:
a5stqfK.png

Now we know that we have separate levels and experience points and that gaining experience points leads you to go up in level. There is a link there saying to read a FAQ, so we click on it:

What is my Steam Level?
Your Steam Level is a summary of your badges and shows off your trading card collection and participation in Steam events. Each badge earned increases your XP, and every 100 XP gives you an added Steam Level (at least to start).

Okay, so getting badges gives us experience points. That makes sense. So we go back to the badges page and see which badges we have--there are a bunch of games listed related to the trading card stuff, but we'll assume you don't have any of those.

What you do have is a Years of Service badge. That's worth some experience. It should be obvious what the level of the badge means given the title, but if you click on it you see "Member since 29 June 2008."--a-ha, so the badge is based on how long I've been a member.

You maybe have "Director of Acquisitions" badge with an odd number of experience points. You click on it and you see "534 games owned" -- I see, so this badge is based on the number of games I own.

etc.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The next community vote will be between free ice cream, $1 chocolate cake, and a $50 pile of soggy newspaper.

The soggy newspaper will win with 54% of the vote.

The cake is a lie! lol, aren't I funny! I repeated that thing in that game!

i think i'm one of the first few thousand members. i was a day 1 member at least, got in before the servers crashed.

I remember most people being anti-Steam, so no one signed up. Then you needed it to play HL2, and it was like, "All aboard!"

I have Strike Suit Infinity and it's...ok.

It's definitely very arcade-y. If you're looking for an old fashioned space sim, just go play Freespace 2.

BosSin

Yesterday I bought Sleeping Dogs when it was on the daily deal, along with a bunch of DLC (the mission-based stuff), on the steam mobile app. However, I can't see it on my steam client.

Halp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom