• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
Man... I really need to play that some more some time. Have heard the co-op is up there with NSMBWii in that it's such a blast to play with people.

I don't know about you, but there was this feeling of pure joy I could only remember from playing Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sonic & Knuckles, Mario Kart 64 and all those other classic games you remember playing in your childhood after school with friends that I was convinced was pure nostalgia and I would never get to experience again.

And then I played Rayman Origins, and there it was. You can guess why Rayman Legends is one of my most anticipated games this year. That's probably the best thing I can say about any game. It honestly is that good.

The demo is a mess.

Stuttering as hell, almost unplayable on my pc =/

See, I didn't even know there was a demo til I looked yesterday. That's why I didn't buy it because of the performance issues that everyone was having. I tried the demo yesterday...60fps all day.

So does DSfix really help enough to warrant a download? What other mods can GAF recommend?

I think it absolutely does. Installing the latest fix and tweaking it to your desired specifications really makes the experience fantastic on PC. Just plug in your gamepad of choice, and you're set.

I highly recommend it.

Hakkuei

Great price for Dark Souls and Warband. Both great games.

If you get Warband, definitely pick up Napoleonic Wars as well. Damn funny mod.
For sure, there is so much value in both games.

jLSUdOWvzt7jg.png

The MP is the best part, also I absolutely love the Napoleonic Wars DLC Mod some of the best online multiplayer fun I've had since UT 2k4 (not that it plays like that, just sayin').
The MP is so good (especially with Napoleonic Wars) that I never played SP for more than an hour.

Remember

When you want this game next month, it's going to be at least 2x as much.

Embrace the sale....EMBRACE THE SAVINGS

there are good possibility that i might not even install any of them until next year when they might be cheaper than now.....

trigger pulled, i hate myself.

I kept adding stuff to cart....

guys, how do you reconcile the fact that you are buying games into backlog?

Silly as this sounds, backlog is not how I look at it when it comes to Steam. I don't over spend, and I've been doing a good job at working down my unplayed numbers, but for me around $50 a year combined on Summer and Winter Steam sales is basically just an investment in a growing PC games library. I don't always know exactly what games I want to play and in what order, so having a big selection on Steam is handy to just be able to pick up and play lots of different games from various genres at any non-sale time. Plus the low costs get me to try games outside of my usual genres, Steam sales have very much helped to expand my gaming tastes.

And with building up a library I'm actually finding that I play games differently. I don't really feel like I need to pick up a $60 console game and "get my dollars worth" from it. With that I'd often end up feeling bad about paying for a game that I gave up on playing or I'd keep playing a game that I'd stopped enjoying because I paid money for it. But purchasing 10-12 games a year in Steam for 0-8 bucks doesn't have that same effect as that. I just pick and choose what I want to play and I play it for as long as I'm having fun. And if there are one or two on the list that I don't get to (meaning my backlog might go up or stay even depending on what old games that I'm playing) well what's the harm in that?

That's how I look at it as least. I could stop playing / buying any new games and just work on my backlog. But doing that I'd miss out on some cool new experiences as well as on some active multiplayer communities which might be dead in a year or two. It's more like Steam is my own personal Spotify for games where I have a big selection of stuff that I'm interested in that I can access at anytime and I pay a yearly fee of $50 or so to add cool new stuff to my service. As long as I don't let that $s per year fee get out of hand (currently I buy a $25 Steam Wallet card each sale) I find that personally it's the best way to buy and play games.

Yeah, that got a little long...I talk too much sometimes...

Yes and I didn't realize the blood dragon price was a pricing error and now I don't even want it anymore because I couldn't get it at that price because the storefront took a massive dump.

HoosTrax

Buyer beware and all that, but for a time at least FC:BD was available on e-bay on the cheap.
It should be easy to find on the cheap at any of the computer hardware forums. It's part of the AMD "Don't Settle" bundle. I have one that I can't get rid of and I'm not interested in redeeming it because it's the uPlay version.

Tomodachi

Foils are almost worth as normal cards at this point, they should add more bonuses to foil badges or the distinctions in card rarity will be pointless in a few weeks.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
http://i.minus.com/iluI2udyjKjgt.gif[img]
[img]http://i.minus.com/ijfDQT6tPlwT1.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/mKwVELZ.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CtlzZHP.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/yJMZ1HR.gif[img]

I rest my case.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is going to my whishlist.

Edit: Oh wow, it was already there.

...for me around $50 a year combined on Summer and Winter Steam sales is basically just an investment in a growing PC games library. I don't always know exactly what games I want to play and in what order, so having a big selection on Steam is handy to just be able to pick up and play lots of different games from various genres at any non-sale time. Plus the low costs get me to try games outside of my usual genres, Steam sales have very much helped to expand my gaming tastes.

And with building up a library I'm actually finding that I play games differently. I don't really feel like I need to pick up a $60 console game and "get my dollars worth" from it... and if there are one or two on the list that I don't get to (meaning my backlog might go up or stay even depending on what old games that I'm playing) well what's the harm in that?

Internet high fives. This person knows how to steamsale.

HoosTrax

Where you could track the historical sales of a game? I'm curious after seeing the gunpoint one
That's NDA'd information. Sometimes the developer (Phil Fish for example) will knowingly break the NDA and disclose the info, otherwise you don't see detailed day-to-day sales numbers info.

Mugatu

Silly as this sounds, backlog is not how I look at it when it comes to Steam. I don't over spend, and I've been doing a good job at working down my unplayed numbers, but for me around $50 a year combined on Summer and Winter Steam sales is basically just an investment in a growing PC games library. I don't always know exactly what games I want to play and in what order, so having a big selection on Steam is handy to just be able to pick up and play lots of different games from various genres at any non-sale time. Plus the low costs get me to try games outside of my usual genres, Steam sales have very much helped to expand my gaming tastes.

And with building up a library I'm actually finding that I play games differently. I don't really feel like I need to pick up a $60 console game and "get my dollars worth" from it. With that I'd often end up feeling bad about paying for a game that I gave up on playing or I'd keep playing a game that I'd stopped enjoying because I paid money for it. But purchasing 10-12 games a year in Steam for 0-8 bucks doesn't have that same effect as that. I just pick and choose what I want to play and I play it for as long as I'm having fun. And if there are one or two on the list that I don't get to (meaning my backlog might go up or stay even depending on what old games that I'm playing) well what's the harm in that?

That's how I look at it as least. I could stop playing / buying any new games and just work on my backlog. But doing that I'd miss out on some cool new experiences as well as on some active multiplayer communities which might be dead in a year or two. It's more like Steam is my own personal Spotify for games where I have a big selection of stuff that I'm interested in that I can access at anytime and I pay a yearly fee of $50 or so to add cool new stuff to my service. As long as I don't let that $s per year fee get out of hand (currently I buy a $25 Steam Wallet card each sale) I find that personally it's the best way to buy and play games.

Yeah, that got a little long...I talk too much sometimes...

Great post!

I felt guilty earlier when I found I'd spent $60 in the first two days on the Steam sale but then I realized that that's less than the price of a brand new console game (counting tax) and I got a ton of games for that price.

Plus, like you said, I own these so I'm not too worried about playing them quick to make sure I like it and make sure I don't have to hurry to trade it in to minimize loss if I don't. I can play whenever I get around to it.

Hey guys, I have a question: I only have $1.80 for a Sleeping Dogs' DLC. Which one should I buy? All my friends bought the Tournament DLC but I don't see additional missions or something like that.

Wolfie5

Damn it, I had fun playing Lego LOTR. But why are the other Lego games more expensive than the newest Lego game? Would have like to play the other games too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom