• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

When you do something great to help someone in need you feel great, I know I did, but then something brings you down. However, there is always a kind soul who will make your day better. Life is indeed a roller coaster.

Gaf is full of true gentlemans and kind people. I will always defend you guys and give the best of me to help you any time I can fellow GAFfers.

Sorry for the off topic guys, was kinda away today, Buy Dark Souls, buy Sleeping Dogs! Get The Walking Dead, is such a great game, I loved it.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
When you do something great to help someone in need you feel great, I know I did, but then something brings you down. However, there is always a kind soul who will make your day better. Life is indeed a roller coaster.

Gaf is full of true gentlemans and kind people. I will always defend you guys and give the best of me to help you any time I can fellow GAFfers.

Sorry for the off topic guys, was kinda away today, Buy Dark Souls, buy Sleeping Dogs! Get The Walking Dead, is such a great game, I loved it.

You're awesome, The_Monk.

Stay true, GAFBro.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ok GAF, I've never played a SimCity or Tropico game before but the genre has always interested me.

Where do you start I suggest? Obviously Tropico 4 is on sale, but should I start there or start with SimCity 4/5?

EDIT: Or maybe an Anno game?

Sim 5 is always online. S4 is pretty good place to start if all you want to do is build. S5 is smaller(from what I have read). Tropico, there is always a political system in play.

Because Anno is an excellent series in a genre oft ignored by the larger publishers?

Always online though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn't know I had to have Uplay, wouldn't have purchased if I had known.

Next time try Enhanced Steam.

Z9bbKXu.png

Copons

Ok GAF, I've never played a SimCity or Tropico game before but the genre has always interested me.

Where do you start I suggest? Obviously Tropico 4 is on sale, but should I start there or start with SimCity 4/5?

They're very different.

If you're completely new to city builders, well, Sim City 4 is the current king of the genre.
But, while its mechanics still stand out, its graphics may feel a bit old.

Tropico 4, instead, it's not a pure city builder, but more a micro management hybrid.

I have spent tons of hours on both (much, much more on SC4, but just because it's older, I guess), and maybe today I'd recommend Tropico 4.
It surely isn't the best overall game, but is funny as hell and the story mode, which I completely skipped for the first 30 or so hours, are engaging and hilarious.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Tropico has a pretty good "campaign" though and has a lot more charisma. Sim City 4 though is just a straight city builder. If I were to pick one I would pick Sim City 4 easily but that is because I have experience in the genre. Tropico 4 is probably a really good place to start.

Gritesh

Finally double dipped with Dark souls, have it on PS3 but would rather play it on PC with a controller to be honest, first game of the sale for me

:)

Tropico is my favourite of them but Sim City 4 is better as a pure city builder

Jintor

Tropico. It's got that right mix of humour and ease of use. Only problem is how fucking lazy your goddamn tropicans are. GET BACK TO WORK, FOOLS

The_Monk

Finally double dipped with Dark souls, have it on PS3 but would rather play it on PC with a controller to be honest, first game of the sale for me

:)

I never finished on the PS3 fellow GAFfer, despite finishing Demon's Souls, hope you enjoy it, more people need to enjoy this one.

Tropico 4 is a fantastic game

3phemeral

Next time try Enhanced Steam.

Z9bbKXu.png

When I first installed Enhanced Steam, I thought it didn't install properly because I assumed there would be obvious visual changes. After a while, I started noticing these DRM warnings and price histories and thought, "Oh, they must have changed their layou--waitaminute!"

Totally awesome add-on, jshackles. :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When I first installed Enhanced Steam, I thought it didn't install properly because I assumed there would be obvious visual changes. After a while, I started noticing these DRM warnings and price histories and thought, "Oh, they must have changed their layou--waitaminute!"

Totally awesome add-on, jshackles. :)

Thanks! I tried to match the visual style to Steam as closely as possible. The idea is that I didn't really want people to realize they were using it until they weren't using it. I guess it worked. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to leave good feedback here. It helps get the word out!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

This is a true gentleman speaking. I mean it: if you ever come here, a beer's on me.

3phemeral

Thanks! I tried to match the visual style to Steam as closely as possible. The idea is that I didn't really want people to realize they were using it until they weren't using it. I guess it worked. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to leave good feedback here. It helps get the word out!
When it was first recommended, I just assumed it was a layout redesign so this discovery was much better. And will do!

Whools

Hey gaf, I'm looking to get HL2 and the eps, and my friend is looking to get portal. If I buy the orange box as a gift can I give him just portal and redeem HL for myself, or does it come as one big code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom