• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

How is TLAD? Thinking of picking up GTA for the DLC.

I didn't love TLAD. It was ok, but I found the missions and characters to be less interesting than the main game. But bear in mind I liked the main game quite a lot.

I did think it was cool when you ran into Niko in certain missions where the two stories collided. I'm looking forward to more of that in Gay Tony for sure.

legend166

Stardock, who developed GalCiv, The Political Machine, etc and published Sins of a Solar Empire, released a game called Elemental War of Magic which by all accounts was pretty shitty and basically unfinished. A number of apologies later, they worked at patching and improving the game. They then eventually decided to remake and remaster the game to make it better--and brought on the guy who made one of the most acclaimed Civ4 Mods to help with game design.

The finished product of that is Fallen Enchantress. Reviews seem to suggest that it is a significantly better game than Elemental War of Magic, but I can't think of anyone who has described it as excellent or must-have. Caveat Emptor.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't point out a few things about Stardock that may or may not be important to you:
- Stardock is a small company owned by Brad Wardell
- Wardell is an outspoken person politically and has weighed in on a number of political debates in ways that have made some people uncomfortable. In particular his contributions on gender issues, lawsuits, climate change, small business regulation, wealth inequality in the US, etc have been cause for controversy.
- A former employee of Wardell's sued the studio for sexual harassment (mostly inappropriate crude jokes) -- he counter-sued and claimed she destroyed marketing materials for this game. You may wish to read the emails she submitted in her suit and his replies to those. His stance was basically that his actions were harmless and as the boss of the company he had a right to behave the way he wants and people who don't like it can find new jobs.

I don't mention this to make the thread a debate about Wardell or Stardock, but just because his own personal controversies are clearly directly tied to the company itself they might impact your decision to purchase stuff from them.

Thanks stump.

Yeah after I posted that I saw that the publisher was Stardock and went "ohhhh".

Nabs

I blame you all for Revelations 2012. It was actually kind of interesting at first, but then they started to patch out the funny shit because of all the crying. I wish they would have just said fuck it and gone overboard with the stupid shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, all that optimism on the first page.

For the most part, those familiar with id's pedigree within the FPS genre knew what to expect and were largely happy with what the game to offer. Much of the disappointment came from those who were under the impression that Rage would be along the lines of Fallout or Borderlands (which, given what id had shown of the game, was understandable).

For the most part, those familiar with id's pedigree within the FPS genre knew what to expect and were largely happy with what the game to offer. Much of the disappointment came from those who were under the impression that Rage would be along the lines of Fallout or Borderlands (which, given what id had shown of the game, was understandable).

Exactly. I love id and this is an id game. Largely happy aside from the driving which never really came together. And it could have been better... but it's still an id game. And games like that are quite rare these days.

antitrop

He destroyed his keyboard because he list a couple SC2 ladder matches. Dude got some issues.

Oh, like...

rjZBbfi.gif

Glad Fez is back thinking of getting it but what are the chances it comes back again at a lower price? iirc i saw strike suit zero at 5 a few days ago and recently just saw it at 3. Cant remember if the 5 was me just searching and finding it or it was on the main page like the 3 was.

We've been through this. You'll also notice that a handful of AMD GPU users chimed in after that post, saying they experienced no issues. It's no secret that the game didn't play well with AMD hardware at and soon after release, but patches and driver updates solve nearly all such cases, and SR3 falls into this category.

It was a blanket problem for all amd gpus, and it wasn't fixed 6 months after release, maybe it was after that but by then I long stopped giving a shit.
I'm not making shit up here, you had to turn shadows to medium or you'd get terrible performance,and even then the framerate would drop to the 20-30s while driving.

The only people defending the game at launch were those with 6950-6970s who were content with 40-50 fps, and those with lesser gpus who couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 60 fps.

Nethaniah

It was a blanket problem for all amd gpus, and it wasn't fixed 6 months after release, maybe it was after that but by then I long stopped giving a shit.
I'm not making shit up here, you had to turn shadows to medium or you'd get terrible performance,and even then the framerate would drop to the 20-30s while driving.

Based on what i know from give or take 5months ago people were still begging Volition to patch the game so i doubt most issues are fixed despite people here saying otherwise, like i said in a previous post just because it doesn't dip waaaaaaaay below 60 fps doesn't make it a great port.

RedSwirl

There are also games that let me shoot stuff and have good writing/dialogue.

Many games, in fact.

RAGE does the "shooting stuff" part better than most other games these days. If that's what you want, get RAGE.

And ask yourself this: does the lack of good writing/dialogue make the "shooting stuff" any less fun?

antitrop

And ask yourself this: does the lack of good writing/dialogue make the "shooting stuff" any less fun?
It certainly makes it less pervasive. Pacing is an important thing. I have serious gaming ADD when I own 300+ games on Steam, if I can play anything I want, why should I play something that doesn't value my time?

Rather just play Brutal Doom.

omg_mjd

Rage is great. I almost didn't buy it after seeing the low user scores on Metacritic and after being disappointed with Borderlands.

Guns have different ammo types (one shoots rebars), the enemy AI is challenging and the vehicles are actually fun to control (unlike the vehicles in Borderlands 2). It even runs at a consistent 60fps on my non-gaming laptop (Nvidia 640M LE) when all hell is breaking loose.

It definitely weirds me out to see Borderlands get so much praise while Rage gets criticized or ignored. I guess people really love BL's co-op? Can't think of any other reason why.

JaseC

The only people defending the game at launch were those with 6950-6970s who were content with 40-50 fps, and those with lesser gpus who couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 60 fps.

Sure, I did say it was no secret that the game hated AMD hardware. No doubt the game still has issues for some -- even Rage continues to dislike particular Nvidia setups -- but it's far from the awful state it used to be in.

maneil99

Quick question, I am playing through rage right now on my PS3, I have a PC that should be able to handle rage easily (680 GTX 3570k) And I have owned rage for sometime, is it that much better on PC? I remember having a few issues at launch with screentearing and textures. I own it on steam, just had some issues with it, kinda don't want to start from the beginning aswell, is there a way to used saved games from other people?

JaseC

Exactly. I love id and this is an id game. Largely happy aside from the driving which never really came together. And it could have been better... but it's still an id game. And games like that are quite rare these days.

And that last level...

1) Find BFG
2) Save it for the final boss
3) ???
4) ~fin

All the repeats.

How is the server population for Napoleonic Wars? And the same question for CRPG, spent most of my time in the single player in the various games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom