• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Officially giving up on a bigger Rogue Legacy sale, I think. My only hope is my sales from trading cards take out a significant chunk of the cost before the last sale day.

Still holding to the "Not until the Last Day" rule of course, just in case.

Mozendo

Thanks for the MoTN recommendation, I'm loving it so far! Amazing game!

If you like Mark of the Ninja wait until Gunpoint is on sale again.
It's another 2D stealth platformer, except Gunpoint focuses on puzzles since it's also a puzzle platformer.
The game is a throwback to noir films and the soundtrack is amazing.

Grief.exe

Get more people in here

Castle Crashers GAF game

FxcdK.png

Starts at 4:45 PM Pacific tonight. Have Mumble installed.

Will be Streaming from Rain's Twitch

1. Grief.exe
2. Drizzle
3. bakeray
4. Salsa

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Its about time I showed some love:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GK86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Game x -- MB-698D1265ECFE3DD2 - Taken by Prophane33

Hopefully it works.

Caerith

As I posted above, I messed up and accidentally chose cleric. I restarted as a pyromancer and got completely owned in the fight, but I'm more confident when I play tomorrow. The thing I hate is that I can't consistently (in fact rarely) start off the fight with a plunging attack.
The plunging attack won't work if you hold forward while you fall. Go to the edge, press forward to walk off, then let go of the stick and hit R1 to do the plunging attack.

The best advice anyone can give you with Dark Souls is to learn the controls. Practice doing plunging attacks until you can pull them off whenever you need to -- you don't even need an enemy to practice, just walk off a short ledge or the side of some stairs. Practice taking running leaps so you know the timing and won't go plummeting to your death. Become proficient at rolling and backstepping. Learn the movesets of every weapon you use, both 1H and 2H. Learn what angles a backstab works from and practice getting into those angles. And, to become truly godly, learn to parry.

Once you're comfortable making your character do what you want them to do, all you need to do then is not blunder.

Prophane33

You couldn't make me play a MOBA, even if you forced me too.

Nothing about them appeals to me in the slightest.

I've never actually played a MOBA, but from what I've seen they aren't very appealing. Isn't it like playing an RTS, but controlling one character instead of a bunch? From what I understand they are really difficult to learn games that are unfriendly towards new players (at least dota 2).

As I posted above, I messed up and accidentally chose cleric. I restarted as a pyromancer and got completely owned in the fight, but I'm more confident when I play tomorrow. The thing I hate is that I can't consistently (in fact rarely) start off the fight with a plunging attack.

Before you drop down for the plunging attack, make sure you are two-handing your weapon because you can do more damage that way. If you can't pull off the plunging attack consistently, try mashing your attack button when you begin to fall. Lock on to the Demon and circle strafe to try to stay behind it at all times. If you are in front of it, keep your distance, keep your shield up, and turn off target lock when you want to run so you can control your running better. When you have an opening, run towards its rear and wail on it (two handed for more damage). You can run away, put your shield up and wait for another opening, or hug its butt and try to stay behind it (best option). When it flies up in the air, it will do an AOE buttstomp, so make sure you're clear.

Just be patient and don't try to get more hits in than you think you can. Once you win, The Real Dark Souls Starts Here.

I tried League of Legends for the first time just tonight. It was me, monsterfracas, and our friend, and we were completely destroyed by bots. I am so bad and I had no idea what was going on. It was kinda fun, though.

Prophane33

The plunging attack won't work if you hold forward while you fall. Go to the edge, press forward to walk off, then let go of the stick and hit R1 to do the plunging attack.

The best advice anyone can give you with Dark Souls is to learn the controls. Practice doing plunging attacks until you can pull them off whenever you need to -- you don't even need an enemy to practice, just walk off a short ledge or the side of some stairs. Practice taking running leaps so you know the timing and won't go plummeting to your death. Become proficient at rolling and backstepping. Learn the movesets of every weapon you use, both 1H and 2H. Learn what angles a backstab works from and practice getting into those angles. And, to become truly godly, learn to parry.

Once you're comfortable making your character do what you want them to do, all you need to do then is not blunder.

Before you drop down for the plunging attack, make sure you are two-handing your weapon because you can do more damage that way. If you can't pull off the plunging attack consistently, try mashing your attack button when you begin to fall. Lock on to the Demon and circle strafe to try to stay behind it at all times. If you are in front of it, keep your distance, keep your shield up, and turn off target lock when you want to run so you can control your running better. When you have an opening, run towards its rear and wail on it (two handed for more damage). You can run away, put your shield up and wait for another opening, or hug its butt and try to stay behind it (best option). When it flies up in the air, it will do an AOE buttstomp, so make sure you're clear.

Just be patient and don't try to get more hits in than you think you can. Once you win, The Real Dark Souls Starts Here.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try again tomorrow after I get some sleep as it is I'm about to pass out at my keyboard...so away I go.

yami4ct

You couldn't make me play a MOBA, even if you forced me too.

Nothing about them appeals to me in the slightest.

I had a bad addiction to LoL like 2 summers ago. Didn't take any of my real money, but sucked my time. After I got out of it, I never ever want to go back. I really don't like the larger MoBA community and the games don't seem nearly as fun as when I was playing it.

I can't stand the idea of MOBA's in general. They may indeed be fun, but they seem to come at the price of the rest of your gaming life. I personally don't WANT games to last forever. I have too big a backlog, and playing one game for hundreds of hours will just keep me from the next 20 indie games. Yeah, I don't like MMO's either.

I can't stand the idea of MOBA's in general. They may indeed be fun, but they seem to come at the price of the rest of your gaming life. I personally don't WANT games to last forever. I have too big a backlog, and playing one game for hundreds of hours will just keep me from the next 20 indie games. Yeah, I don't like MMO's either.
is called managing time,you dont have to play it all the time.

is called managing time,you dont have to play it all the time.

Of course, but there's no end, and besides, how many MOBA players have you heard of that have good time management? Every time it is ever mentioned on a podcast its how that person never plays anything else anymore. In any case, it's just not for me.

antitrop

I'm replaying F.E.A.R. right now for the first time since 2005 and it's just absolutely blowing away almost every other FPS out there that's been released in the last few years.

This game is exceptional, it's nice to experience it properly now. In '05 it was on like Medium settings with 25fps.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm replaying F.E.A.R. right now for the first time since 2005 and it's just absolutely blowing away almost every other FPS out there that's been released in the last few years.

This game is exceptional, it's nice to experience it properly now. In '05 it was on like Medium settings with 25fps.
See guys? This game holds up perfectly well today.

On another note, I'm replaying the co-op campaign in Portal 2 with a friend who recently got the game, and it's still a blast to play. In fact, since we were both voice chatting, I enjoyed it more than ever before. What an amazing game this is, and killing the other robot in every possible way will never get old.

Stimpack

See guys? This game holds up perfectly well today.

On another note, I'm replaying the co-op campaign in Portal 2 with a friend who recently got the game, and it's still a blast to play. In fact, since we were both voice chatting, I enjoyed it more than ever before. What an amazing game this is, and killing the other robot in every possible way will never get old.

Still? lol, that game came out two years ago.

Eternia

Giving back while playing with StumpBot. Have at it!
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

mehCecapS -- MB-CBA793725079080A - Taken by super-famicom
2 deerB neilA -- MB-22DB7976DCA420CA - Taken by JBourne
3 deerB neilA -- MB-66C5DBFF6EB9B928 - Taken by kutthoat5150
floG yzarC smroW -- MB-DAC4D1FFAFA54AF4 - Taken by Deques
yoB etamitlU xamilC oeN ageM repuS :eek:reH etuniM flaH -- MB-72080A1EB0D09D92 - Taken by whitehawk

I tried League of Legends for the first time just tonight. It was me, monsterfracas, and our friend, and we were completely destroyed by bots. I am so bad and I had no idea what was going on. It was kinda fun, though.

I like that game. Luckily, I didn't catch any case of MOBA-addiction. Getting your ass whooped is proper induction into a MOBA. And pretty much don't bother going into a real game until your level 12 (source: my LoL-addicted cousin plays it everyday). Hahaha

I'm allowing myself to spend about $10 more dollars on this sale, so I'm waiting for Rogue Legacy at the moment.

I'm a long time ago PC player and an Xbox/Nintendo console player. I just joined Steam today and purchased Deus Ex:HR in all its glory, damn that is cheap for the lot! I played Deus Ex & II on the PC many years ago plus already finished HR & missing link on console but I want to compare/replay it to my PC version for such a low price. Wow!

Anyhow what games do SteamGAF recommend for me, here's a short history of what I like:

1. Any Halo.
2. Old Sierra games like Kings/Space quest.
3. Old PC RTS games like C&C or Red Alert series.
4. Fighting games like SFII Turbo or KI.
5. Farcry 1 on PC

What should I pick up to trick out a return to PC gaming? (somewhat I still love my XBL). I'm happy to budget $50-$100 or so for a backlog spree.

Cheers mates.

I'm a long time ago PC player and an Xbox/Nintendo console player. I just joined Steam today and purchased Deus Ex:HR in all its glory, damn that is cheap for the lot! I played Deus Ex & II on the PC many years ago plus already finished HR & missing link on console but I want to compare/replay it to my PC version for such a low price. Wow!

Anyhow what games do SteamGAF recommend for me, here's a short history of what I like:

1. Any Halo.
2. Old Sierra games like Kings/Space quest.
3. Old PC RTS games like C&C or Red Alert series.
4. Fighting games like SFII Turbo or KI.
5. Farcry 1 on PC

What should I pick up to trick out a return to PC gaming? (somewhat I still love my XBL). I'm happy to budget $50-$100 or so for a backlog spree.

Cheers mates.

For number 2 I recommend you get Gemini Rue, awesome graphic adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom