• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Damned Kaiju attacks.

We started winning. Modbot stopping Bad Rats everywhere.

But Modbot was only as good as its users.

So GAFfers turned into rock stars.

Danger turned into propaganda.

Bad Rats into toys.

We got really good at it. Winning.

Then... then it all changed.

Stimpack

Bad Rats into toys.

I'm stopping your funding, Modbot. We've got to build a wall around these Bad Rats!

Milamber

Bad Rats into toys.

That better not be a Pacific Rim spoiler. I still did not watch it.

Oublieux

Strike Suit Zero is basically the only mech game on Steam, tragically.

Transformers..? I've seriously been waiting for that game to go on sale since watching Pacific Rim, and that's even with the fact that the Jaegers are exponentially larger than Transformers in scale.

Terra

Ok...my post history in this thread says "I am done" buying.

But now I see Deus Ex being cheaper than cheap. Do you think I should go for it? Is the game any good?

Torraz

In my opinion the best 'arena'-styled game out there. It has really satisfying gunplay, a vast array of different weapons and classes and enemies, is still one of the most played games on Steam and is one of mine and many others most played games on Steam, with some fantastic mod support as well AND the developers still release new maps and weapons into the game several times each year for free.

My favorite part (outside of the 6-player co-op) is the map design, they have a large variety of official maps that all play very differently and range from a giant stormy storage ship to London streets to a decrepit asylum where a rave party is going on to a large and vast farm. They are very different in theme, strategy, and layout.

The game has a learning curve though, be warned. It is not an easy game and the game rapidly goes up difficulty with each difficulty increase. You play the game normally by doing 4-10 waves of enemies, and then a 'boss wave' with the Patriarch at the end. Then are some fanmade maps that are story and objective based though, AND the game literally just updated a couple weeks ago to add a full-on objective mode, so more objective based maps should be coming soon.

It might take a while to try different classes and figure out your gun selection and what works best and is most fun to you. People often compare it to L4D for some reason, but they honestly have very little in common, both in how they play and what you do in them.

Is coop organized only, or can you also play with randoms?

Stimpack

Ok...my post history in this thread says "I am done" buying.

But now I see Deus Ex being cheaper than cheap. Do you think I should go for it? Is the game any good?

It's not terrible. Gameplay could've been more diverse for people who chose not to run 'n' gun, and the ending plain sucked as it was a "click button A, B, or C to see your ending!" type of deals. It was decent in pretty much every other aspect and well worth what they're asking for it.

Deitus

Does DLC purchased not count towards the Steam Summer cards? Because I just bought some of the Sleeping Dogs DLC, and it didn't increase my total spent on the sale on the badge page.

Beelzebubs

I was trying to hold out on the Steam Sale as I'm poor but god damnit cheap Bastion and Left 4 Dead 2 I couldn't resist and now the seal has been broken.

Terra

It's not terrible. Gameplay could've been more diverse for people who chose not to run 'n' gun, and the ending plain sucked as it was a "click button A, B, or C to see your ending!" type of deals. It was decent in pretty much every other aspect and well worth what they're asking for it.

Sounds...so-so. I am looking for a roleplaying-experience in a sci-fi setting. That is what Deus Ex is, or have I got things wrong here?

Stimpack

Sounds...so-so. I am looking for a roleplaying-experience in a sci-fi setting. That is what Deus Ex is, or have I got things wrong here?

Well, roleplaying has just become such a broad term over the years. You'll have some choices in how you build your character and interact with quests, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a mind-blowing roleplaying experience. The gunplay is alright, though. I'll see if I can't think of some decent sci-fi rpgs.

Front Mission Evolved is anothing mech game on steam.

Transformers..? I've seriously been waiting for that game to go on sale since watching Pacific Rim, and that's even with the fact that the Jaegers are exponentially larger than Transformers in scale.

Here are 3 Kaiju Games with Mechs i remember : Lost Planet 1-2 , EDF Insect Armageddon (could count)

Front Mission Evolved is also not very good, and Transformers is basically just a shooter. Nothing mech-y about it unfortunately, in terms of scale.

Terra

I was trying to hold out on the Steam Sale as I'm poor but god damnit cheap Bastion and Left 4 Dead 2 I couldn't resist and now the seal has been broken.

I feel you...same here. But then you see some of those great deals.
Although, only Torchlight 2 and The Last Remnant bought this far....was thinking about Lego LOTR too, but the deal on that game wasn´t that good, so I skipped it.

Just finished Mark of the Ninja. Awesome game as I said before, beautiful art, great gameplay etc. The story was good all things considered.
I killed myself at the end
The NG+ seems interesting and I'm tempted to play it but it's the steam sale, definitely don't have time.

Now do I finish Ys II, start SS2, or finish Hotline Miami... hmmm

BPoole

I've only picked up Dust, The Swapper, Rising Storm, and Bit.Trip Runner 2 so far. Only thing I'm really waiting on is Blood Dragon to hit $7.50, and for Dark Souls to get trading cards

Just finished Mark of the Ninja. Awesome game as I said before, beautiful art, great gameplay etc. The story was good all things considered.
I killed myself at the end
The NG+ seems interesting and I'm tempted to play it but it's the steam sale, definitely don't have time.

Now do I finish Ys II, start SS2, or finish Hotline Miami... hmmm

Hotline Miami, then SS2

Stimpack

Boy the well is just so dry for sci-fi rpg games, at least on Steam. From what I can tell there's basically Deus Ex, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Space...Siege...., and (kind of) Fallout. At least that's all that comes to mind immediately without going through some of the older stuff.

Grief.exe

I've only picked up Dust, The Swapper, Rising Storm, and Bit.Trip Runner 2 so far. Only thing I'm really waiting on is Blood Dragon to hit $7.50, and for Dark Souls to get trading cards

It will go lower than that if the deal repeats

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/233270/far-cry-3-blood-dragon

So, Bastion was chosen, no surprises here, sigh

What do you want me to vote for now? (even though it doesn't seem to matter)

Ya Bastion was the worst case scenario for that vote.

This current vote is a complete joke, vote for whatever you want.

Terra

Boy the well is just so dry for sci-fi rpg games, at least on Steam. From what I can tell there's basically Deus Ex, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Space...Siege...., and (kind of) Fallout. At least that's all that comes to mind immediately without going through some of the older stuff.

Thanks...yeah, that´s probably it. Have been trying the Mass Effect games, but felt they got very repetitive, so I quit in the midst of them.

Fallout NV was great however, I still have some work to do on that game.

Now...I still have some time to decide on to buy Deus Ex or not.

Went to go buy the Faction Pack for Metro Last Light on steam and the ersb rating is glitched.

Blood, Drug reference, Intense Nudity, Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, Use of Alcohol

Grief.exe

We have Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and Star Citizen coming. Remains to be seen how much RPG mechanics will exist, if any, in the latter though.

There just aren't that many sci-fi RPG games in existence though. The only ones I can think of are kind of scattered over different systems.

Voidguts

Only thing I'm really waiting on is Blood Dragon to hit $7.50, and for Dark Souls to get trading cards

rJJXvk5.jpg

Stimpack

We have Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and Star Citizen coming. Remains to be seen how much RPG mechanics will exist, if any, in the latter though.

There just aren't that many sci-fi RPG games in existence though. The only ones I can think of are kind of scattered over different systems.

Which is really kind of strange considering how wildly popular the sci-fi theme is in pretty much everything else. Cyberpunk and Star Citizen are certainly the most appealing ones on my list so far, though.

elfinke

So even though I've never wanted it on PC before, having played and adored it on 360, I bought Alan Wake while it was 2 bob yesterday.

By god is it a fine looking game, and all those frames to go with it compared to the 360. Man, will have to give the other content a bash now. Perfect game to try on new PJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom