• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

SoA is maybe my favorite JRPG ever.

It had a lame combat system with an awful random encounter rate (which it was a bit corrected on GC release), that's true.

But you can explore a huge world, full of details and stuff to discover, and everything put together a great background and a great story.

The plot is a bit cliché, but it's perfectly paced, and at times you just don't give a fuck to play the usual "save girl from guy who want to destroy world", because who cares, it's a trope and this game knows how to amazingly exploit it.

In addition, you get my favorite part ever in every games: to upgrade your ship and to build and upgrade your hideout, recruiting people and buying components.

Seemed like badass JRPGs were coming out every time you turned around back then, man. Those were certainly the days.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
OK GAF, my bank account is finally out of the red, which means I can spend a bit on the sale.

What should I get that's the best value for my money?

edit: so far I've won English Country Tune, and bought FTL when it was 2.50

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No it's not. I mean gog sale expenses are stopping me from going wild in this steam sale. I already spent more than planned.

Ah right, gotcha. I only got Dyad in the GOG sales.

Man, I think I've been on a 4X kick recently. Got fallen enchantress and endless space so far. Might go for Civ V brave new world next.

Also seems like the trick to trading cards is to sell them for 10 cents. Can't complain seeing that it's basically free money. :p

Arthea

Man, I think I've been on a 4X kick recently. Got fallen enchantress and endless space so far. Might go for Civ V brave new world next.

Also seems like the trick to trading cards is to sell them for 10 cents. Can't complain seeing that it's basically free money. :p

you'll get everything I want? What a tease! (><)

Have fun!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-C28FA29688182595 - Taken by zerokoolpsx

I actually have a boxed PC copy of the original Panzer Dragoon for PC. Doesn't work on Windows XP and up, unfortunately. Would love Orta.

I think there's a way to make it run on Windows 7, I found a page where they tested the game on Windows 7 x64, I have the same problem with a boxed copy of Sonic CD, it only runs on Windows 95, thanks god they re-released it :)

Running the game

Despite our test copy stating that it was incompatible with Windows XP and Windows 2000, Panzer Dragoon actually ran perfectly well on our Windows 7 x64 machine. All that was required was to change the PANZERDG.EXE file in the programs installation directory and apply Windows 98 / Windows Me compatibility mode. After this the game ran pretty much perfectly.

Stimpack

4X is all about Sword of the Stars.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Puzzle Quest
no, I'm not kidding. Had it on 3 platforms, spent at least 100 hours playing it.
I've heard a lot about it, but it looks like a regular match 3 puzzler, is there something else that makes it great or is it just super addictive?

How do you feel about Dark Souls?
It's not available in my region, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy as I played Monster Hunter on Wii. Also, I think I'd need to demo it first to make sure it runs on my laptop. I guess it wasn't a very efficient port because I know the requirements are rather high..

Civilization.
Never played it. I remember not liking Civilization 2, but that was years ago when I was a dumb kid. Is there a demo?

Stimpack

God man, it's not the money I'm worried about when it comes to 4X, it's the time. Can't justify another one. :p

How well anyone who has played a 4X game will know that feeling. Hours and hours and days poured into just one match with a small universe. It's insane, and literally too crazy even for me. I love 4X, but I also can't commit that kind of time and dedication. I'd also like a 4X that's real-time and not turn-based. It gets very tiring waiting for someone else to end their turn and annoying when you want to rush yourself to not be rude. And how the hell can you rush yourself in a game that has a bajillion options for micromanagement?! I don't know, man, it's just nuts. 4X games are nuts.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
More repeats coming, i predict Hotline Miami and Just Cause 2 as repeats. Add to that 1 random software. Last spot, a new random game that no one will care about.

Dec

It's not looking good, is it? I guess we'll be chasing this particular unicorn for a fair while longer, sadly.

It's the first thing I check for when the sale day ticks over. Bummer.

It's on Steam?

I'd like to revisit that game but I can be bothered to load up Origin and I recall that was the only option at launch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's on Steam?

I'd like to revisit that game but I can be bothered to load up Origin and I recall that was the only option at launch.

The game is (well, was) self-published by 38 Studios, but the company was liquidated a year ago as it owed around $100m to the state of Rhode Island, so now said state owns the IP. This means that KoA's Steam release is now handled entirely by those close to the situation, and while the game went on sale back in March, there's apparently no interest in partaking in the Summer Sale.

Arthea

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've heard a lot about it, but it looks like a regular match 3 puzzler, is there something else that makes it great or is it just super addictive?

It's not available in my region, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy as I played Monster Hunter on Wii. Also, I think I'd need to demo it first to make sure it runs on my laptop. I guess it wasn't a very efficient port because I know the requirements are rather high..

Never played it. I remember not liking Civilization 2, but that was years ago when I was a dumb kid. Is there a demo?
It's RPG too, it's deep, strategic and fun, one of the best Puzzle games of all times (Challenge of Warlords). On top of that it looks great. It has mounts, castle building, equipment, classes, awesome spells. This game can't be praised enough.

How can anybody not like Civ2? Not possible! Don't know about demo, don't need for Civs, buy them all and play them all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How well anyone who has played a 4X game will know that feeling. Hours and hours and days poured into just one match with a small universe. It's insane, and literally too crazy even for me. I love 4X, but I also can't commit that kind of time and dedication. I'd also like a 4X that's real-time and not turn-based. It gets very tiring waiting for someone else to end their turn and annoying when you want to rush yourself to not be rude. And how the hell can you rush yourself in a game that has a bajillion options for micromanagement?! I don't know, man, it's just nuts. 4X games are nuts.

That's what makes them fun though.

Also, is there a list on every game with a steam card deck? I'm now strangely fascinated by this.

Stimpack

That's what makes them fun though.

Also, is there a list on every game with a steam card deck? I'm now strangely fascinated by this.

If you click on the magnifying glass to search and then hit advanced search there should be a drop down list there somewhere that say Steam Trading Cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom