• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Okay, so I've been hearing people dissing Skyrim for quite a while. Can anyone guide me to a list of things people don't like about the game anywhere? Going by reviews, one would think that it's the second coming of Christ.

Above ground you fight bandits 90% of the time. Below ground you fight the undead. Every dungeon looked almost exactly the same. The puzzles were generic as all hell. The story wasn't very captivating for me, and the game suffered from a lot of the same issues that most (if not all) Elder Scrolls games suffer from, in terms of weird technical hitches and AI not responding to certain events which have transpired. The difficulty definitely could have been changed. The dragons were far, far weaker than they should have been.

That said, the game itself is a marvel. It accomplishes a lot, and it looks absolutely stunning in some cases. If you play it on the PC, anyway. The world they crafted may have been a little bland, but it also has the same positives that most (if not all) Elder Scrolls games have, the sense of chaos. That shit can hit the fan at any time any where and it can lead up to some of the wackiest stuff you've ever seen.

It's a great game. They were all great games. They've done some things right, but they've done some things wrong. If you've played through the older games extensively, which some people have, you'll see why people have problems and what directions Bethesda has taken over the years.

There's a lot to be said about it, but this isn't the place and certainly far past the time for me, because I'm going to sleep in a few minutes. Hope that helps a little.

Stimpack

I doubt it.. they'll have to focus on that mmorpg for quite some time. :/

Hm. I thought Zenimax hired some outside in-house studio to work on the MMORPG, and Bethesda was left to work on whatever (Fallout 4). Last I heard Bethesda was really just an advisor. I don't know, though, I haven't kept up with it.

Anyway I guess I'll buy that damn Warframe pack. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
Is there any reason I'm getting this for trying to buy a card?

"You are not allowed to purchase this listing. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market."

I've sold cards already on the market, I'm confused.

Okay, so I've been hearing people dissing Skyrim for quite a while. Can anyone guide me to a list of things people don't like about the game anywhere? Going by reviews, one would think that it's the second coming of Christ.

After 20 or so hours you realise how shallow the game actually is. The game world doesn't react to anything you do in anyway. Combat is bad. Story is awful. Dungeons are pretty much all the same.

I mean overall I like Skyrim but it's just not the second coming of christ

"You are not allowed to purchase this listing. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market."

Did you change your funding source?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Above ground you fight bandits 90% of the time. Below ground you fight the undead. Every dungeon looked almost exactly the same. The puzzles were generic as all hell. The story wasn't very captivating for me, and the game suffered from a lot of the same issues that most (if not all) Elder Scrolls games suffer from, in terms of weird technical hitches and AI not responding to certain events which have transpired. The difficulty definitely could have been changed. The dragons were far, far weaker than they should have been.

That said, the game itself is a marvel. It accomplishes a lot, and it looks absolutely stunning in some cases. If you play it on the PC, anyway. The world they crafted may have been a little bland, but it also has the same positives that most (if not all) Elder Scrolls games have, the sense of chaos. That shit can hit the fan at any time any where and it can lead up to some of the wackiest stuff you've ever seen.

It's a great game. They were all great games. They've done some things right, but they've done some things wrong. If you've played through the older games extensively, which some people have, you'll see why people have problems and what directions Bethesda has taken over the years.

There's a lot to be said about it, but this isn't the place and certainly far past the time for me, because I'm going to sleep in a few minutes. Hope that helps a little.

I'd also add a summation in that Skyrim is not considered to be a bad game per se, but merely falls short when aligned against what its own developers achieved in the past. It's simply a victim of the executive assumption that a more approachable and easily-digestible game will result in exponentially larger sales figures, but what most publishers don't seem to realise is that by doing so you tend to alienate those who appreciated your output in the first place.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Crossposting some impressions from the Indie Game Sales thread (If you have any further questions about that game, please ask over there in case I miss it here):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621131

ss_591c53e75667e16d42ec1cae0ecec627136636d5.1920x1080.jpg
And Wake (http://store.steampowered.com/app/233530/, $1.24 at 75% off) gets a thumbs up from me as well. Aside from being dirt cheap and being in a bundle with another game, its a really clever short Highscore Metroidvania (with online leaderboards) with tons of playthrough possibilities to explore. One run might take you about 20-30 minutes, but on your first try you'll end up at 3000 point like me, while the best players have like 300000 points on the leaderboards. You need to find certain items like the axe to open doors or the flares to illuminate dark rooms, while also taking the rising water levels of the ship into account. Its really smartly designed since that time pressure element also doubles as a fallback for inexperienced players since you can reach higher ledges if the water rises higher. Finding the proper way before the water rises to that level however will guarantee a better score in the end. Its not just helpful either, if you rely too much on the water some items will be unreachable since you cannot axe a door underwater for example.

Really cool little game. But I agree that the washed out art style is a bit annoying. I'd prefer having the clean pixel art as well. I tried disabling the post processing in the options, but that only deactivated the bloom. I used the original resolution (640 instead of blown up 1280) since that made it a bit more bearable. Another issue I have with the game are the jumping/climbing mechanics which dont seem to work perfectly well all the time. Might need to retry with a controller though.

Fantastic concept, definitely a small gem we found here. Unfortunately, I cant predict whether someone might get over the art style or not.

My run:

bootski

Skyrim made a good impression for about 10-20 hours and then the novelty wore off and you could see behind the curtain a little too much - the world is nowhere near as alive as it first appears and when you've been in the same cave/dungeon 5 times it gets rather samey - the jarkiness also starts to rear it's head a little too often.

That said; I thought it was a very good game up until that point and well worth the price (not a patch on Oblivion though).

yes, everything this guy said. although, the fact that you could get 20+ hours in before it started getting old is more than you can say for a lot of games these days. to put it in perspective, The Last Of Us, which is the best game I've played in a long long time took me <20hrs to complete on hard. and that's exploring every nook and cranny along the way.
...although i somehow missed a shiv door and a journal and like 20 artificats. but still, you get the drift.

ZenaxPure

So on the topic of Skyrim. Let's say hypothetically (you can pretend that if you can't accept what I am about to say!) I think everything in the game is pretty much crap except for the part where you explore caves/dungeons. I had a ton of fun going and clearing them (not actually killing dudes since the combat was trash, but exploring every damn shelf and drawer), I ended up discovering and clearing every location in the game actually. Does Morrowind/Oblivion have the sheer amount of places to go as Skyrim or were they more limited? I've always thought about buying Morrowind during a Steam sale but I was always skeptical if it would provide me with the same type of entertainment I got from Skyrim itself.

Oh shit. I was just going to get it on PS3 but fuck all that now, there is no way this won't make it onto Steam. Will be cheaper and will probably run/look better.

I'd also add a summation in that Skyrim is not considered to be a bad game per se, but merely falls short when aligned against what its own developers achieved in the past. It's simply a victim of the executive assumption that a more approachable and easily-digestible game will result in an exponentially larger sales figures, but what most publishers don't seem to realise is that by doing so you tend to alienate those who appreciated your output in the first place.

Problem is doing it in Skyrim did result in exponentially larger sales figures

We need this

Caerith

The market's just overwhelmed. I got that error for like an hour earlier in the sale, then it just abruptly went away.

Voted.

And it gets trading cards, so...

The_Monk

Good morning fellow GAFfer, hope you are all fine. Did I miss something in these last hours? Thanks in advance.

I see, Expeditions: Conquistador on the Community Vote, that's a game I'm kinda interested since it's release. Dirt 3 is also tempting, I got one one of those Free AMD codes long time ago but decided to gave it away, now I wonder if I did the right thing ( I know I did). Dirt 2 is also a good if not, a better choice if you don't care for the other non-rally events.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Problem is doing it in Skyrim did result in exponentially larger sales figures

Sure, but among Bethesda's core fanbase there was a fair amount of discomfort, so the question then becomes how many of those will blindly follow future endeavours. On the PC side, at least, Bethesda is smart to embrace the modding community to an almost unique extent so that any pitfalls can, well, be fixed.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm not arguing against the notion that making a game more accessible engenders a strong likelihood that sales will increase, but rather just making the point that this approach tends to result in game design choices that feel more steps backward than steps forward.

hmm should i get witcher 2? i already have and beat the first witcher. Just not sure if i should get this one. Its the only game that i'm thinking of getting today.

Yes. The combat has been improved, player agency has been drastically increased as the plot (and game itself) is largely impacted by your decisions, the side quests are quite enjoyable, numerous (equally viable) playstyles are offered, and the characters remain interesting. I know some prefer the first game but from what I've seen the second game is preferred by the majority. I don't feel it's the best RPG of the generation (ultimately I'm still not a fan of the gameplay despite the improvements), but it's definitely worth trying.

Salsa

I assume that stands as a recommendation? Might get that instead of the Metro dlc, I know the image but I wonder if that is something I should get now or wait for a daily.....

the dream machine is hella good

first ep came out in 2011 so its been a long-ass wait between the eps, but its a good time to pick it up.

Arthea

Good morning fellow GAFfer, hope you are all fine. Did I miss something in these last hours? Thanks in advance.

I see, Expeditions: Conquistador on the Community Vote, that's a game I'm kinda interested since it's release. Dirt 3 is also tempting, I got one one of those Free AMD codes long time ago but decided to gave it away, now I wonder if I did the right thing ( I know I did). Dirt 2 is also a good if not, a better choice if you don't care for the other non-rally events.

you missed this most important vote
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160687506

Seanspeed

Banned
So where are the Steam keys? I don't see them anywhere.

EDIT: Not even google is helping.... :/ Are they hidden or something?

EDIT2: Help, please. I've got a lot of stuff to do. I tried looking everywhere, but I cant find an option to view my keys anywhere.

EDIT3: Eh, I was trying to give away a few games, but I cant figure out where to find the keys, sorry guys. Later on.

Whelp, no Monaco sale yet. Next round of deals then, next round...

The Warframe pack would be tempting, but since they still haven't fixed the "Network Problem Detected" error I think I'll pass for the moment.

hmmm... so I bought antichamber and dirt 3 about an hour ago and that purchase should have dropped 2 summer cards but they still haven't dropped. Have any of you ever had this problem?

Damn, I missed a vote last night, so will I miss the free card on the last day of the Steam Summer Sale?

Or there there won't be 3 votes on the last day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom