• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

So guys I haven't played enough Warframe to know whether or not it's really worth diving into. I think it is, but I'm not sure. Is it worth buying that $10 pack?

Also I'd hop on Dirt 3 if I liked racing games, but I really don't and I'll probably be playing Drive Club in the future anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That expeditions game looks quite interesting; think I'll waste my vote on that (it'll never beat CK2 or Risen2).

Expeditions is the game to vote for as it's the most recent release. 75% off at six-odd weeks after the fact? Bargain!

Everyone vote Risen 2, Crusader Kings II is brilliant but it had its time. Expeditions looks interesting though, anyone played it?

Don't know but I voted for it. Crusader Kings II has been featured already and I figured most people played Risen 2 by now. Expeditions has a decent average rating score and looks interesting, which was the reason why I chose it.

Stimpack

Oh. I thought it was looked more fondly upon... Maybe I have it confused with a different game. Or y'know, different opinions and all that.

I thought it was alright. Better than what came after it. In terms of nostalgia or whatever, I know there are a lot of people who enjoyed the old school Gothic games, which is maybe what you're thinking of? Also I liked Gothic 3 better than Risen, even though I think it's the first 2 that people really spoke fondly of.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Nothing again. :<

All I'm really hoping for is GameMaker Studio.

At least I got a foil card. I can sell it for all of $1.25. At least I got SOMETHING for enduring all those Kerbals.

Neki

Sorry if this has been answered, but what's the difference between the two batman Arkham city versions, one is like 3 dollars cheaper.

-MD-

Sorry if this has been answered, but what's the difference between the two batman Arkham city versions, one is like 3 dollars cheaper.

From the store page:

Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition includes the following DLC: Catwoman Pack, Nightwing Bundle Pack, Robin Bundle Pack, Harley Quinn&#8217;s Revenge, Challenge Map Pack and Arkham City Skins Pack.

The $4.99 game is Arkham Asylum, not City.

JaseC

All I'm seeing is Arkham City GOTY and Arkham Asylum GOTY. The latter is the original game and the former the sequel.

Neki

From the store page:

Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition includes the following DLC: Catwoman Pack, Nightwing Bundle Pack, Robin Bundle Pack, Harley Quinn’s Revenge, Challenge Map Pack and Arkham City Skins Pack.

I just don't get why they're both called the GOTY edition, so weird.

Exeunt

I thought it was alright. Better than what came after it. In terms of nostalgia or whatever, I know there are a lot of people who enjoyed the old school Gothic games, which is maybe what you're thinking of? Also I liked Gothic 3 better than Risen, even though I think it's the first 2 that people really spoke fondly of.

Ah, I just looked on Steam and I think Gothic is what I was thinking of. I guess I must've gotten the two series confused. I guess since they're separate series, Gothic might not drop even if Risen 2 wins... Oh well. It's more casual curiosity than anything.

Uh you say that like Oblivion is better than Morrowind.

You have a problem with people stating facts?
lol

Oops. I didn't mean to start this!

ZenaxPure

Bleh, was hoping for $5 Cities in Motion 2, but, I will take this deal. Last thing I am going to buy on the sale!
I hope, but my impulse buying habits are the worst

Stimpack

Uh you say that like Oblivion is better than Morrowind.

It did definitely come out that way, but I definitely don't feel that way. Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim. I played a decent amount of Daggerfall, but it was more of an educational chore for me than anything else. Hope that clears things up. It's past 2 am, and I can't be held accountable past 12.

Actually, let me adjust that. I liked all three in different ways. Skyrim looked and felt the best, for obvious reasons. Oblivion has some weird crap in it which was pretty great, also being on the cusp of HD helped cement it in my mind. Morrowind had better quests, DLC, and general content.

JaseC

It did definitely come out that way, but I definitely don't feel that way. Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim. I played a decent amount of Daggerfall, but it was more of an educational chore for me than anything else. Hope that clears things up. It's past 2 am, and I can't be held accountable past 12.

It's depressing that Bethesda has gone backwards in open-world RPG design.

Massive recommend for anyone into traffic sims to pick up CIM2. 12 hours over the last few days immersed in traffic heaven and hell. It took me a bit to break into but not I cannot turn away.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If CK2 wins, anyone know if any of the dlc is worth getting?
Most of the features of the major expansions have already been added via patches, so they're mostly worth getting only if you plan on playing those specific realms (Sword of Islam for Islamic nations, Legacy of Rome for Byzantium, etc). The smaller DLCs, such as the portraits and unit packs, are fine if you want some diversity but are otherwise kind of superfluous. The song packs I believe are the most worth buying, as they feature some of the best music in the game.

hmm should i get witcher 2? i already have and beat the first witcher. Just not sure if i should get this one. Its the only game that i'm thinking of getting today.

Knurek

Okay, so I've been hearing people dissing Skyrim for quite a while. Can anyone guide me to a list of things people don't like about the game anywhere? Going by reviews, one would think that it's the second coming of Christ.

Stimpack

Things kind of just kept getting simpler. There were pluses, but most of them dealt with the fact that technologies progressed and so the games were better from a technical aspect. The sheer content and originality in Morrowind is unsurpassed, though. It is certainly depressing how things have gone for Bethesda in general throughout the years. I hope they stem the tide and change things around soon.

UGH thought I was actually going to beat FTL on easy. Started with The Torus. Got another anti-ship drone from killing a ship and picked up a long range scanner in the first sector. The augmentation that lets you keep drones that are alive when you warp dropped in the second sector and I bought a mantis to help with invasions. End up losing the mantis from an invasion from not paying close attention, but I survive fine. Next few sectors go by without too much happening (picked up a rock or w/e the guys that have 150 hp) and and the drone that attacks missles. I reach the 7th sector feeling like a badass (3 shields, 2 anti-ships and the other drone I mentioned, ion blast II and burst laser I) until about 2 jumps into it. Immediately I get invaded. I tried suffocating them but they spawned just one room from my weapon room). I'm forced to send my crew to deal with them, but at the same time, their ship fires like 8 fucking attacks at once, which damage my drone part of the ship and my shields. I can't repair it because I have 3 crew members dealing with the 2 invaders (in an oxygenless room) and my other piloting the ship. I eventually kill the 2 invaders and start trying to repair my shields and drones, but it's too late and I get destroyed.

Sorry it's late and I just needed to rant. >_<

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's RPG too, it's deep, strategic and fun, one of the best Puzzle games of all times (Challenge of Warlords). On top of that it looks great. It has mounts, castle building, equipment, classes, awesome spells. This game can't be praised enough.

How can anybody not like Civ2? Not possible! Don't know about demo, don't need for Civs, buy them all and play them all.

like I said, I was a dumb kid at that age, and not really interested in video games. My friends loved it, but I barely played anything at all back then except for arcade games and MS Flight Sim on occasion..

I'll check out the demo!

UGH thought I was actually going to beat FTL on easy. Started with The Torus. Got another anti-ship drone from killing a ship and picked up a long range scanner in the first sector. The augmentation that lets you keep drones that are alive when you warp dropped in the second sector and I bought a mantis to help with invasions. End up losing the mantis from an invasion from not paying close attention, but I survive fine. Next few sectors go by without too much happening (picked up a rock or w/e the guys that have 150 hp) and and the drone that attacks missles. I reach the 7th sector feeling like a badass (3 shields, 2 anti-ships and the other drone I mentioned, ion blast II and burst laser I) until about 2 jumps into it. Immediately I get invaded. I tried suffocating them but they spawned just one room from my weapon room). I'm forced to send my crew to deal with them, but at the same time, their ship fires like 8 fucking attacks at once, which damage my drone part of the ship and my shields. I can't repair it because I have 3 crew members dealing with the 2 invaders (in an oxygenless room) and my other piloting the ship. I eventually kill the 2 invaders and start trying to repair my shields and drones, but it's too late and I get destroyed.

Sorry it's late and I just needed to rant. >_<
You'll beat it soon, sometimes there are random encounters that are unpredictable and catch you off guard, but playing on easy is mostly about grinding early.

tylerf

Most of the features of the major expansions have already been added via patches, so they're mostly worth getting only if you plan on playing those specific realms (Sword of Islam for Islamic nations, Legacy of Rome for Byzantium, etc). The smaller DLCs, such as the portraits and unit packs, are fine if you want some diversity but are otherwise kind of superfluous. The song packs I believe are the most worth buying, as they feature some of the best music in the game.

Sunset Invasion
Sword of Islam
The Republic

is what I have heard.

Thanks for the responses :)

Dynoro

Okay, so I've been hearing people dissing Skyrim for quite a while. Can anyone guide me to a list of things people don't like about the game anywhere? Going by reviews, one would think that it's the second coming of Christ.

Skyrim made a good impression for about 10-20 hours and then the novelty wore off and you could see behind the curtain a little too much - the world is nowhere near as alive as it first appears and when you've been in the same cave/dungeon 5 times it gets rather samey - the jarkiness also starts to rear it's head a little too often.

That said; I thought it was a very good game up until that point and well worth the price (not a patch on Oblivion though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom