• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Good, I didn't really like Bioshock 2 and I've heard that DLC is better than the entire game.

Minerva's Den is still my favorite piece of Bioshock content. The only area I'd really fault it for is the opening. I don't think it puts its best foot forward.

When it gets going, though, it is impressive. It has some notable improvements to combat; you get access to various plasmids, tonics, weapons, and such much earlier than in other Bioshock games, so you have a lot more choice there.

But its main virtue lies in the storyline. It's thematically rich, poignant, and concludes beautifully. Be very wary of stumbling onto spoilers if you go look up more info about the game.

Really great to see that it'll be part of Steam soon.

What's the deal with Deadly Premonitions?

First I've heard of it (although I recall a GAF'er with an avatar from it). Looks vaguely reminiscent of Alan Wake, and I don't just mean the unnatural obsession with coffee.
It really is Twin Peaks made two decades later as a low budget open world Japanese developed game. Where Alan Wake went more for the action, DP's main strength is entirely in the characters, world, and narrative. At first impression it can give off the vibe of a game that people enjoy ironically, but make no mistakes the actual combat sections are bad and the game gives you some methods to make them as painless as possible, it's a game people genuinely enjoy because it's quirky and has characters you actually start caring about.

It's rough around the edges, and that's an understatement, but there's a legitimately enjoyable experience to be found.

antitrop

Minerva's Den is still my favorite piece of Bioshock content. The only area I'd really fault it for is the opening. I don't think it puts its best foot forward.

When it gets going, though, it is impressive. It has some notable improvements to combat; you get access to various plasmids, tonics, weapons, and such much earlier than in other Bioshock games, so you have a lot more choice there.

But its main virtue lies in the storyline. It's thematically rich, poignant, and concludes beautifully. Be very wary of stumbling onto spoilers if you go look up more info about the game.

Really great to see that it'll be part of Steam soon.
I'm actually mostly excited about the length! I love little 3-4 hour chunks of explosive content. Stuff like Spec Ops.

Games that drag on too long tend to bore me and lose my interest.

Tomodachi

It really is Twin Peaks made two decades later as a low budget open world Japanese developed game. Where Alan Wake went more for the action, DP's main strength is entirely in the characters, world, and narrative. At first impression it can give off the vibe of a game that people enjoy ironically, but make no mistakes the actual combat sections are bad and the game gives you some methods to make them as painless as possible, it's a game people genuinely enjoy because it's quirky and has characters you actually start caring about.

It's rough around the edges, and that's an understatement, but there's a legitimately enjoyable experience to be found.

Very good description.

ALSO ITS AMAZING

Zeliard

I'm actually mostly excited about the length! I love little 3-4 hour chunks of explosive content. Stuff like Spec Ops.

Games that drag on too long tend to bore me and lose my interest.

Yeah, it's generally well-paced (outside of the beginning section, perhaps) and doesn't overstay its welcome. It wants to tell a specific story, does so nicely, and then ends. It's refreshing in light of so many games that superfluously drag content out in order to increase play-time and add "value."

I took it, thanks for the giveaway. Getting an unspecific error while trying to redeem it, though.

Hmm. That is strange, can any of the more expierienced people help us out here? The game is also showing up in my Steam profile under gifts (becuase I emailed it to myself following the directions in the OP, I obvioulsy have not tried to redeam it becuase it was a gift for someone else).

Maybe I can gift it to you directly thru Steam, what is your Steam name?

The_Monk

What a nice Achievement this is, just got it fellow GAFfers:

JbywlvK.png

It's from Mark of the Ninja fellow GAFfer. Hope it's not a spoiler, since it's a pretty obvious one considering the type of the game.

Thanks, I have the game from a previous Amazon bundle but haven't played it yet, that achievement makes me want to play it asap. Will have to install it when I get home.

DukeBobby

What's the deal with Deadly Premonitions?

First I've heard of it (although I recall a GAF'er with an avatar from it). Looks vaguely reminiscent of Alan Wake, and I don't just mean the unnatural obsession with coffee.

Alan Wake is a poor man's Deadly Premonition.

nacimento

i've been thinking of buying The Last Remnat since this sale started. But i can make up my mind. Anyone played it???

I thought it was great. At the same time, I didn't play many non-handheld JRPGS in the last years, so I didn't care about it not being original. But I got 80 well spent hours out of it.

Definitively worth it for that price.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hopefully it works this time around. If it doesn't, just pm me and I will gift it to you later. One is bad rats.
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GK86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Game X -- MB-496D739F37BE9838 - Taken by Boss Doggie
Game Y -- MB-58299966A247AE70 - Taken by Saty
Game Z -- MB-50D0E44420BCD96B - Taken by dave is ok

Bizzity

PSA: Looks like today's deals are the last chance for FFVII to show up. That is, if it doesn't show up in today's dailies it may be in everyone's best interest (that can deal with silly DRM/requirements) to pick it up from greenmangaming with GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY for 30% off. (code expires tomorrow at 11 EDT I believe) That is all.

Double

PSA: Looks like today's deals are the last chance for FFVII to show up. That is, if it doesn't show up in today's dailies it may be in everyone's best interest (that can deal with silly DRM/requirements) to pick it up from greenmangaming with GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY for 30% off. (code expires tomorrow at 11 EDT I believe) That is all.
Why would today be the last chance?

Grief.exe

How did you come to that conclusion?

Bizzity

ßthePenguin;71319206 said:
Why would today be the last chance?

Just that if it doesn't show up today, and there is no guarantee that it will show up later, and you really want it, it makes rational sense to get it for 30% before the GMG code expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom