• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sorry for all the Euro Truck questions, but does it have objectives or is it more of a free-form game?

Well, you start off with no money and as a driver for hire. You take driving jobs where the truck is provided for you, and you get paid for delivering the cargo. How much money you make depends on how fast you make the delivery, how much damage the truck got along the way, speeding fines, etc. Eventually you save enough money (or take out a bank loan) to buy your own truck. Then you start making more money. You also gain XP along the way and put points into a skill tree that qualifies you to drive all manner of different kinds of jobs: urgent deliveries, fragile cargo, many kinds of special trailers and hazardous stuff, etc. You can also gain bonuses to qualify yourself for long distance driving and even put pts into saving gas and such whenever you drive. You can also customize your truck kind of like GT style, adding lights and paint jobs and chrome parts and all kind of bling. If you save enough money you can buy your own garage, and then buy more trucks, and then hire drivers to work for you, and soon you are not only driving but running an entire trucking empire across Europe.

So, there are objectives, but you can pretty much pick and choose the way you want to play. You could drive "for hire" jobs the entire time and never spend a cent if you prefer.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I know I joked about this earlier in the thread, but you're damn right it is.

Once you get it and you can unhook that trailer and you see the extra EXP it's earned you... makes you feel damn good.

I can only imagine what it feels like to beat a boss in Dark Souls. Even though I do own the game I'll still just have to imagine.... I'm terrible at it.

moniker

Have you played Gothic 3 or the first Risen? I can't really find a whole lot of strong points for Risen 2. I would suggest you hold onto your money unless you played and liked the previous games in that vein.

But Gothic 3 was awful and Risen was good.

Alright guys. I have £4.58 in my steam wallet. Is there currently anything on sale you can recommend? I'm not fussed about the type of game, although an RPG of some sort would be nice.

Why not go for an all time classic? Such a shame that MP is most likely dead on that these days - one of the greatest, fun and most balanced multiplayer campaigns I've ever played

Splash Damage: They used to be good.

BLunted

Banned
I bought a couple games, however, I did not receive a confirmation email or cards, but the games are showing up in my library. Has this happened to anyone else?

HoosTrax

Well, you start off with no money and as a driver for hire. You take driving jobs where the truck is provided for you, and you get paid for delivering the cargo. How much money you make depends on how fast you make the delivery, how much damage the truck got along the way, speeding fines, etc. Eventually you save enough money (or take out a bank loan) to buy your own truck. Then you start making more money. You also gain XP along the way and put points into a skill tree that qualifies you to drive all manner of different kinds of jobs: urgent deliveries, fragile cargo, many kinds of special trailers and hazardous stuff, etc. You can also gain bonuses to qualify yourself for long distance driving and even put pts into saving gas and such whenever you drive. You can also customize your truck kind of like GT style, adding lights and paint jobs and chrome parts and all kind of bling. If you save enough money you can buy your own garage, and then buy more trucks, and then hire drivers to work for you, and soon you are not only driving but running an entire trucking empire across Europe.

So, there are objectives, but you can pretty much pick and choose the way you want to play. You could drive "for hire" jobs the entire time and never spend a cent if you prefer.
This actually sounds pretty neat. I wish someone would come along and applies those concepts to an airplane (freight airline?) game.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

Great write-up, and might have just sold me on the game.

Helmholtz

So, I just spent 15 dollars on a Torchlight 2 four pack, and didn't receive any trading cards. Went to check my badge progress thing, and it says I've only spent 25$, when it should be $40. Anyone else have a problem like this?

moniker

lol I thought Gothic 3 was a little better, but I also thought that both games were not good. It's been a while, though. Still, they're all at least very similar with their engine/gameplay.

Risen was more like Gothic 2 (which is the really good).

Gothic 2 > Gothic > Risen >>>>> Gothic 3.

Edit: I haven't tried Risen 2 though, but from I hear it's a huge step down from Risen.

BLunted

Banned
So, I just spent 15 dollars on a Torchlight 2 four pack, and didn't receive any trading cards. Went to check my badge progress thing, and it says I've only spent 25$, when it should be $40. Anyone else have a problem like this?

yeah, me just a few posts up.

Stimpack

Risen was more like Gothic 2 (which is the really good).

Gothic 2 > Gothic > Risen >>>>> Gothic 3.

Boy, I honestly don't remember too well. They all kind of jumble together in my mind. Maybe you're right. I never honestly got into the franchise, but I remember people at my local game stop ranting and raving about how much better Gothic 1-2 was compared to 3.

I do remember Risen 2, though, and I remember really not caring much for it.

So I'm grabbing blood dragon but skipping Isaac and Van Helsing(I'm pretty much a comfy couch only pc gamer and unfortunately a lot of games seem not to have controller support). However I'm intrigued by Magicka.

The ratings on Magicka seem mediocre(which seeing as I've never heard of the game is all I have to go on) but how is it really? Worth the price? Should I get any DLC?

I haven't played Magicka (I have it in my account but the tutorial is the extent of my travels within the game) but for the bolded part, while I cannot comment on Isaac's controller support if I were to choose between it and Blood Dragon I would go for Isaac if based purely on the quality of the game. Now, make no mistake, both games are enjoyable and it will likely come down to your preferred type of game but I feel The Binding of Isaac (in addition to being cheaper) has much more longetivity. While Far Cry: Blood Dragon lasts, it is an extremely enjoyable experience with a great soundtrack, decent shooting (although I don't feel that it is enough to sustain the game following completion), good dialogue and a wide environment filled with some interesting missions. It is absolutely worth buying at the price and I wouldn't dissuade somebody with an interest solely in it to buy it. However, following the completion of the missions, I feel it's pretty much done and the fun that was to be had, has been had. Make no mistake, seven hours (which is what I'd say it roughly takes to complete it, add or subtract an hour or two depending on exploration and pace) of an enjoyable game for a low price is excellent but when between it and the Binding of Isaac I'd have to give the advantage to the latter. The game is simple, as you'd expect (the simplicity of the gameplay may harm it for some so if it's a dealbreaker that's understandable), but the huge array of items and the randomness of the game make it very addicting with enough content to last a considerable length of time. Whereas with Far Cry once you're finished the game, that's pretty much it, Isaac is an extremely replayable game, the randomness keeping each run fresh even after unlocking the large amount of content. There's a touch of dark humour in the game if it appeals to you and the soundtrack is quite excellent. I bought it on what was more or less a whim after seeing somebody on this site rave about it and I was very surprised that it ended up my most played game (54 hours logged, about 200 more hours in offline mode); not through long marathon playthroughs but by turning it on every now-and-then and playing through with the intent on finishing it (if I do, I do, if I don't I turn it off; it's pretty much just to occupy some time).

It's certainly not a game for everyone and I've been led to believe the controller support is quite poor so if that's a dealbreaker Far Cry: Blood Dragon is absolutely worth getting but I would still keep The Binding of Isaac in mind.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that I played it from the beginning with Wrath of the Lamb which, to my knowledge, adds a considerable number of items so I cannot compare what the base game is like on its own to what it is like following Wrath of the Lamb's installation.

MrKaepora

Played a bit of Mark of the Ninja and holy shit what an awesome game. I'm not that big on stealth games, but Mark makes being undetected actually fun. The instant checkpoint restart is a plus as well. Good job Klei.

btw, don't think I've dropped my id in the thread, can always use more steam friends
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Creamium

Sent you a friend request. My steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/asa_nocturna

See if you can beat my scores in Mark of the Ninja.

My favourite part of the Steam Sale is digging around the back catalogue and finding things I never knew were even on Steam.

Wolfpack?
wolfpack-boat-hangover-ii.jpeg

Wolfpack!
header_586x192.jpg

I actually really enjoyed the original Airline Tycoon, although it definitely leans more towards silliness than "sim", and more importantly, it doesn't actually let you fly planes yourself.

The sequel, on the other hand, has kind of gotten panned in reviews.

I found it to be more of the same. If you really liked the first one, it's worth a go - but the tutorial is hella confusing :-\

Ruze789

Nice write up, thanks. I think I'll be buying this tonight instead of Batman AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom