• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god i can't get approved for a credit card or steam sales would literally ruin my life.

If you've linked your Paypal account in with your bank account, you can get a "Pay After Delivery" option on checkout, which doesn't take the money for 14 days.

Sorry if I just ruined your life.

Jonm1010

Banned
I haven't played Magicka (I have it in my account but the tutorial is the extent of my travels within the game) but for the bolded part, while I cannot comment on Isaac's controller support if I were to choose between it and Blood Dragon I would go for Isaac if based purely on the quality of the game. Now, make no mistake, both games are enjoyable and it will likely come down to your preferred type of game but I feel The Binding of Isaac (in addition to being cheaper) has much more longetivity. While Far Cry: Blood Dragon lasts, it is an extremely enjoyable experience with a great soundtrack, decent shooting (although I don't feel that it is enough to sustain the game following completion), good dialogue and a wide environment filled with some interesting missions. It is absolutely worth buying at the price and I wouldn't dissuade somebody with an interest solely in it to buy it. However, following the completion of the missions, I feel it's pretty much done and the fun that was to be had, has been had. Make no mistake, seven hours (which is what I'd say it roughly takes to complete it, add or subtract an hour or two depending on exploration and pace) of an enjoyable game for a low price is excellent but when between it and the Binding of Isaac I'd have to give the advantage to the latter. The game is simple, as you'd expect (the simplicity of the gameplay may harm it for some so if it's a dealbreaker that's understandable), but the huge array of items and the randomness of the game make it very addicting with enough content to last a considerable length of time. Whereas with Far Cry once you're finished the game, that's pretty much it, Isaac is an extremely replayable game, the randomness keeping each run fresh even after unlocking the large amount of content. There's a touch of dark humour in the game if it appeals to you and the soundtrack is quite excellent. I bought it on what was more or less a whim after seeing somebody on this site rave about it and I was very surprised that it ended up my most played game (54 hours logged, about 200 more hours in offline mode); not through long marathon playthroughs but by turning it on every now-and-then and playing through with the intent on finishing it (if I do, I do, if I don't I turn it off; it's pretty much just to occupy some time).

It's certainly not a game for everyone and I've been led to believe the controller support is quite poor so if that's a dealbreaker Far Cry: Blood Dragon is absolutely worth getting but I would still keep The Binding of Isaac in mind.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that I played it from the beginning with Wrath of the Lamb which, to my knowledge, adds a considerable number of items so I cannot compare what the base game is like on its own to what it is like following Wrath of the Lamb's installation.

I really want Isaac I just only play pc games from the couch(I have to because I bought an x51 and don't even have a monitor to KB and mouse play). Which means I pretty much have to have controller support. I was under the impression Isaac didnt have controller support?

I hear a new version is being released that might have it though?? Does anyone know about that possibility?

Rootbeer

Banned
i really hate how steam does not have an easy way to know which DLC you own and which you don't... like, I'm browsing magicka and I know I own most of the DLC but there's a few newer ones I don't

I don't want to literally open up the DLC box and comapre line by line... yeah I could do it but why does it have to be that much of a pain?

anyone know an easier way?

and no, not all dlc tells you that you own it when you look at its store page :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really want Isaac I just only play pc games from the couch(I have to because I bought an x51 and don't even have a monitor to KB and mouse play). Which means I pretty much have to have controller support.

I hear a new version is being released that might have it though?? Does anyone know about that possibility?
You can just use Joy2Key. It only uses a few buttons.

Well, you start off with no money and as a driver for hire. You take driving jobs where the truck is provided for you, and you get paid for delivering the cargo. How much money you make depends on how fast you make the delivery, how much damage the truck got along the way, speeding fines, etc. Eventually you save enough money (or take out a bank loan) to buy your own truck. Then you start making more money. You also gain XP along the way and put points into a skill tree that qualifies you to drive all manner of different kinds of jobs: urgent deliveries, fragile cargo, many kinds of special trailers and hazardous stuff, etc. You can also gain bonuses to qualify yourself for long distance driving and even put pts into saving gas and such whenever you drive. You can also customize your truck kind of like GT style, adding lights and paint jobs and chrome parts and all kind of bling. If you save enough money you can buy your own garage, and then buy more trucks, and then hire drivers to work for you, and soon you are not only driving but running an entire trucking empire across Europe.

So, there are objectives, but you can pretty much pick and choose the way you want to play. You could drive "for hire" jobs the entire time and never spend a cent if you prefer.

That...actually sounds pretty freaking awesome.

i really hate how steam does not have an easy way to know which DLC you own and which you don't... like, I'm browsing magicka and I know I own most of the DLC but there's a few newer ones I don't

I don't want to literally open up the DLC box and comapre line by line... yeah I could do it but why does it have to be that much of a pain?

and no, not all dlc tells you that you own it when you look at its store page :(

Add it to your cart. It prevents you from purchasing it for your own account.

marrec

Banned
I really want Isaac I just only play pc games from the couch(I have to because I bought an x51 and don't even have a monitor to KB and mouse play). Which means I pretty much have to have controller support.

The new version (Binding of Isaac: Rebirth) is being released with controller support. It looks like it's going to be released early next year.

Make no mistake though, The Binding of Isaac is one of the best games of the generation and every moment that goes by without you getting sucked into the huge set of challenges and randomized itemsets is a moment that you'll never get back. You should buy a M/KB just to play this game.

Milamber

I load money onto my Prepaid debit card tied to my Paypal which ties to my Steam account. I just add like $5~$10 a month onto it until the next steam sale. Works out pretty good for me.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
LOL at Blood Dragon being more expensive today.

With this and the Year of Snake thing, I do not know what to believe any more D:

If you've linked your Paypal account in with your bank account, you can get a "Pay After Delivery" option on checkout, which doesn't take the money for 14 days.

Sorry if I just ruined your life.

there's also pay pal. Steam can ruin lives in a variety of ways :)

tumblr_lykc3nAXp31qele60.gif

Xanathus

google "steam enhanced extension"

Jonm1010

Banned
The new version (Binding of Isaac: Rebirth) is being released with controller support. It looks like it's going to be released early next year.

Make no mistake though, The Binding of Isaac is one of the best games of the generation and every moment that goes by without you getting sucked into the huge set of challenges and randomized itemsets is a moment that you'll never get back. You should buy a M/KB just to play this game.

If someone has a decent verdict on the controller mod ill add it to my cart with blood dragon this instant haha.

Milamber

"Enhanced Steam" plugin works wonder, my friend.

wOIkBAG.png

Jonm1010

Banned
I can't speak to the controller support but it seems like it'd be pretty easy with Joy2Key.

All the best racers use KB/M though. -_-

I'm sure I'm Gonna cave and buy a monitor eventually, been meaning to, but right now I really don't have a comfortable way to KB/mouse game in my living room.

If anyone's still on the fence about Evoland, I'd recommend picking it up whilst it's still on a daily.

Spent four hours playing the GOG version today, and it is just a love-letter to adventure games and JRPGs that breaks the fourth wall about once a minute.

I found that I wasn't playing it so much like a game, but more of an interactive history level of how these types of games developed - through the scrolling techniques, different combat types (turn based, real time etc) and it's fun to open a chest and suddenly see "You've unlocked Mode 7 graphics!" and revisit a previously flat world with increased definition.

Ugh, I want to get Civ V, but I want to know if it's worth it without Brave New World because I can't justify spending 54.99 on a single game during a sale.

"Enhanced Steam" plugin works wonder, my friend.
wOIkBAG.png

Just checked mine, and I seem to have all but one DLC. Must have picked it all up in drips and drabs over the years without even realising!

However, It bothers me that the DLC far exceeds the cost of the original game. Cities in Motion, also by Paradox, seems to be another offender. Am I the only one to feel slightly uncomfortable about this?

I really want Isaac I just only play pc games from the couch(I have to because I bought an x51 and don't even have a monitor to KB and mouse play). Which means I pretty much have to have controller support. I was under the impression Isaac didnt have controller support?

Oh I see, I apologise. I assumed it was a preference as opposed to a necessity. In that case, yes, it is missing native controller support (I have heard one can play using JoyToKey but I have not done so myself) as a result of being a Flash game (a new version is being released as you've heard but I am completely unaware as to its progress). In that case, Far Cry: Blood Dragon is absolutely a worthy purchase.

EDIT: Looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

Man, lost my Sleeping Dogs save somehow. There's no way to get that back is there? I see the Nightmare and Year of the Snake DLC on the Main Menu. Does your character carry over? If so I'm upset. Seems like I can't do the other two packs either without my save.

Enco

Ugh, I want to get Civ V, but I want to know if it's worth it without Brave New World because I can't justify spending 54.99 on a single game during a sale.

Where are you getting 54.99 from?

Civ V is great without BNW. Just get the gold version.

You can pick up BNW from GMG for cheaper than Steam.

Just wait for another repeat on Steam.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Honestly without Brave New World IMO CIV 4 is the better game.

edit: Full disclosure I do own CIV 5 and CIV 4 but not Brave New World. It's just the general opinion of everyone I've talked to. That said I like vanilla CIV 4 better than 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom