• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Far Cry 3 only 40% off.. really? Is it not going to go any lower than that?
ilnRBXa3tuIwI.gif

Volotaire

I regret not picking this one up. It's only been on a daily deal so far though, right? Might still have a chance as a Flash / Vote / Recap hopefully for me.

Remember to go for a 4 pack with others if you can to make it cheaper. Yeh was daily deal only I think.

It's pretty cool, but then again, Mount & Blade lets you jam a spear into a guy's head while on horseback. They're both so good in so many different ways.

Thinking abou this. Need to do more research on this game. Looked at the thread on GAF and it seems interesting.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is -85% right now. Dark Souls is -75%, as is XCOM EU.

Pick one:

Deus Ex: HR (or the oringinal DX), XCOM, Dark Souls or Torchlight 2.

XCOM is probably the best game up right now. However, I don't know how to convert your funny money into USD.

I already have XCOM and Deus Ex HR for the Xbox 360 so don't want to pick them up again. Will take a look at Dark Souls as I have never played it.

derExperte

originally, when they changed the name, everyone assumed it had something to do with the release of the brad pitt film.

What if they did it to trick people in the upcoming summer sale?

People in general don't read before buying if something looks interesting. WarZ might have sold even better if they kept the name.

nacimento

Alright guys serious emergency. I can't go to sleep without buying one more game (FU steam). I have narrowed it down to the following:

1) Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
2) Port Royale 3
3) Risen 2 (Or Risen 1 Maybe?)

Help me i have to go to sleep, i haz classes!

You can try Port Royale 3 and tell me if it's a worthy successor to Port Royale 1 & 2 ;)

Ledsen

Would like to see someone give an opinion of Risen 2 that is a bit longer and more fleshed out than "Buy Risen instead". Anyone?

AlexBasch

It won't be 75% off, but it is going on sale tomorrow.
Hence the believe. They have gone on the Activision route with that game I swear. I won't pay more than 7.50 or 9.99 for it.

Plus I want Oblivion as well, wish I could have bought it last sale. :/

Hold on, they had Skyrim Legendary Edition on the first day no? Would they discount the vanilla version? That's what I'm interested in.

Hence the believe. They have gone on the Activision route with that game I swear. I won't pay more than 7.50 or 9.99 for it.

Plus I want Oblivion as well, wish I could have bought it last sale. :/

It's not worth the money IMO.
Clunky combat and messy inventory system.
So many better RPGs out there.

nexen

Would like to see someone give an opinion of Risen 2 that is a bit longer and more fleshed out than "Buy Risen instead". Anyone?

For me it was buggy as sin and the graphics had not improved *at all* since Risen 1.

In particular I had flickering shadows everywhere and the grass would disappear and reappear depending on where I was and where I was looking.

Animations and voice acting were janky, but they are in Risen 1 as well. They just didn't improve.

Kerub

Banned
I've played some Infestation (WarZ). A friend asked me to buy it to play with him, I just checked the Steam page, saw a Zombie game for five bucks and bought it. I've actually had some fun with it so far. It's buggy and obviously a rip-off but not completely terrible.

Avallon

Why you should not be buying the War Z:

In October 2012 executive producer Sergey Titov referred to spawn campers in The War Z as "faggots" in a forum post. A representative of the game's press team issued a statement saying that Titov has no prejudice against homosexuals and that it was just a poor and inappropriate choice of words.

On December 17, 2012, Hammerpoint Interactive launched the "foundation release" of the game on Valve's digital distribution platform Steam. Sergey Titov stated in a press release “Now that we’ve reached the Foundation Release milestone we will continue to work, as promised, to add features and content that will satisfy our community and keep them playing.” The developer was accused of attempting to get customers to buy the game directly from their website rather than Steam's platform by claiming that they would be raising the price of the game on Steam.

Following the game's release many customers accused the developers of fraud because of key features that were advertised but not featured in the game. The game was initially described on Steam by the developers as containing certain features, such as multiple large game worlds varying in size, a skill point based leveling system, player versus environment combat, hundred-player servers, and private servers, none of which were a part of the game at the time. The Steam page was updated within 24 hours of release, but still mentioned features not yet in the game. Titov defended the way the information was presented by stating that the map size and player limits fell within the ranges shown, e.g., "Size of the area, once again, come on—[the] first map is over 100 sq km. So [the] text is right." However, an independent analysis by PCGamesN.com estimated the actual map size at just under 10 sq km. Titov also claimed that players had misread the information about the game's features on the store's page.

The game has also received criticism for using a pay-to-play business model while including the micropayments frequently seen in a freemium game. On the day of the game's launch, players could respawn one hour after their character died. On the following day, Hammerpoint Interactive released an update that increased the respawn time to four hours and added the ability to instantly respawn for in-game currency that is purchased through microtransactions. Two days later, a patch was released that returned the respawn time to one hour.

On December 19, 2012, a Valve employee stated that they would be investigating concerns raised by users about censorship and moderation on Steam's forum. The concerns were directed towards a developer of the game who was accused of banning Steam forum users unfairly for criticizing The War Z. On the same day The War Z was temporarily removed from sale on Steam's store, with Valve issuing a statement saying "We apologize for this and have temporary [sic] removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build." A user also proved that ban appeals were not looked over; instead, copy and paste responses were issued stating "We have evidence that you have used multiple hacks. Your ban appeal has been denied." The developers have also been accused of bullying and bribing people who complain about the game. Valve allowed users to submit a ticket for a refund if they weren't satisfied with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom