• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
What's Torchlight 2 like?

Is it multiplayer, and if so am I still likely to enjoy it single player? Most of my online friends seem to have racked up some big play time on it so I assume they've already played it.

You'll definitely have fun playing it single player. HOWEVER...the fun is easily multiplied with the more friends you play with. I HIGHLY recommend playing with a friend and get some mods together and have a blast. Ask your friends who played it to try out some new class mods too.

Prophane33

How is it compared to Rogue Legacy?

Sadly, I don't own Rogue Legacy so I can't really compare it. The objective isn't so much exploring as it is going down a certain amount of floors in the time allotted (you can find time-increase power-ups) to get to a boss, then begin a new section of floors. You unlock new equipment/costumes etc. for future runs by doing specific things. It's not a game you sit down and beat in one go.

antitrop

I think people are holding out for the Steam version. The Origin version has been free already.
I passed up Amalur for free on Origin because I want it on Steam.

Origin is fucking pointless, I don't even want games on it for free. I don't even have it installed. Last game I bought from it was MoH: Warfighter. I've reinstalled it occasionally for BF3, but Origin is pretty much only for BF3.

I will suck it up and accept Origin for BF4.

Tame

What's Torchlight 2 like?

Is it multiplayer, and if so am I still likely to enjoy it single player? Most of my online friends seem to have racked up some big play time on it so I assume they've already played it.

Multiplayer - yes (think it may be co-op only, i dont really do MP)
Will you like singleplayer - donno, but I really do

Its only £3.74 COOOOOOOOME OOOOOOON, you know you want to click the buy button

cicero

aPv4rvV_700b_v1.jpg
probably true

I have yet to have a game I buy make my ass look big or ponder that possibility as I shop though.

Prophane33

I really don't get the Origin hate, and it's not just because I worked for EA. Granted, I only have like...3-4 games on it, but it's not the great Satan that a lot of people here make it out to be.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for Kingdoms of Amalur to go on sale, you sexy beasts.

Stay clear from Kingdoms of Amalur. I shamefully bought it day 1 on the 360 and my friend played it to. We both neveribeat it. I was like 40 hours in until I hit this "invisible" boredom wall. You instantly realize the game lacks depth, originality, and is HIGHLY repetitive. Combat IS fun...for the first few hours. Very easy on the hardest difficulty mode IMO. The environments are sooooooo lonely. Just you and monsters.

Imagine a mini WoW world without players besides yourself.

Quests and story are highly forgettable.

The only redeeming quality is the combat "can" be good at times, but it really lacks depth. It has potential...it does, but it falls soon after you "realize" it. You may not believe me at 5 hours in, 20 hours in...but you will soon at "some" point.

Glix

I heard Dyad is pretty close, right? It isn't the same game but maybe it'll hold you off some.

You've probably already played it with that sexy avatar

Ya, I nabbed it first day of the sale. Its pretty great.

I still want THE OLD TEMPESTS ON STEAM and Space Giraffe to go on sale. I tweeted at Minter, but he is too busy tweeting insane shit about sheep and oxen to respond.

Also its really shitty (for Derek Yu) that XBLA Spelunky isn't out in time for the sale.

ss_lemonade

The defining feature of Titan Quest is its class system. Instead of having unique characters in the form of classes, you start as the same character type with the choice of male and female. From there you choose a mastery, which is effectively your class. Once you hit level 8, you can choose to continue your single mastery or opt for dual-masteries, which makes it unlike most loot ARPGs I've played and offers up a lot of options from there on.

I'd say it's very much worth playing even after going through Diablo 3.
Sorry I was referring to Torchlight 2 with my post. Titan Quest sounds interesting though, thanks I'll look into that game as well

Sadly, I don't own Rogue Legacy so I can't really compare it. The objective isn't so much exploring as it is going down a certain amount of floors in the time allotted (you can find time-increase power-ups) to get to a boss, then begin a new section of floors. You unlock new equipment/costumes etc. for future runs by doing specific things. It's not a game you sit down and beat in one go.

Rogue Legacy isn't one of those beat-in-one-go games either, though it definitely has a One More Level vibe to it. I'll look further into House of Dead Ninjas sometime.

I really don't get the Origin hate, and it's not just because I worked for EA. Granted, I only have like...3-4 games on it, but it's not the great Satan that a lot of people here make it out to be.

It's very poor software, and the only community feature it has is a friend list.

Mugatu

I don't hate the software itself, I just hate that I now have to have another client installed just because EA had to have their own.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
How is it compared to Rogue Legacy?

Super House of Dead Ninjas is faster paced than Rogue Legacy and doesn't have the grinding aspects. I'd also say it's harder, partially because you can't grind up your OPness on enemies until you can smash through everything. I really liked both games but Rogue Legacy kept my attention for longer periods at a time, while I jump in and play House of Dead Ninjas once or twice and then don't touch it for a week. Compared to Rogue Legacy, where I beat the game and new game + in the span of a week.

Both are great games, Super House of Dead Ninjas is more of an arcade/classic game feel where Rogue Legacy fits right in with some big indie titles of the last couple years like Spelunky, FTL, and Binding of Isaac.

edit: Also, there's no demo for Super House of Dead Ninjas but you can play the flash game that it was before a retail version was made. Adult Swim Games has it on their site.

Glix

One of my friends told me to buy Xcom

Have $8 through selling cards and tf2 bullshit, sell me! Cause I'm not so sure.

If you like turn based tactical stuff, even a tiny bit... Get it.

One of the best in the genre ever. They did an amazing job of bringing the design up to modern day standards without losing any of the awesomeness.

nexen

Origin is actually pretty good. It is a halfway-done Steam clone.

It is just that while I respect the effort, I really don't need a halfway done Steam clone. I'd rather that all my EA games were in my Steam library so I didn't have to run two applications.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ya, I nabbed it first day of the sale. Its pretty great.

I still want THE OLD TEMPESTS ON STEAM and Space Giraffe to go on sale. I tweeted at Minter, but he is too busy tweeting insane shit about sheep and oxen to respond.

Also its really shitty (for Derek Yu) that XBLA Spelunky isn't out in time for the sale.

Some things never change.

I dislike it as it's EA's excuse not to release games on Steam, which is a platform that I trust to dump money into and have a great investment into my account and don't mind having the software running 24/7. I can't say the same for Origin and so I'd rather nothing to do with it.

Although EA games are mostly terrible so it's not much of a loss.

But this makes the Mirror's Edge 2 announcement bittersweet.

Milamber

Stay clear from Kingdoms of Amalur. I shamefully bought it day 1 on the 360 and my friend played it to. We both neveribeat it. I was like 40 hours in until I hit this "invisible" boredom wall. You instantly realize the game lacks depth, originality, and is HIGHLY repetitive. Combat IS fun...for the first few hours. Very easy on the hardest difficulty mode IMO. The environments are sooooooo lonely. Just you and monsters.

Imagine a mini WoW world without players besides yourself.

Quests and story are highly forgettable.

The only redeeming quality is the combat "can" be good at times, but it really lacks depth. It has potential...it does, but it falls soon after you "realize" it. You may not believe me at 5 hours in, 20 hours in...but you will soon at "some" point.

A "majority" of us just want to buy it to fill our game count, not actually play it, you know.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I used a random number generator, so the order I quoted you, is the order you get to pick your prize. Civ IV, Portal 2, or Bad Rats.

Possibly my biggest disappointment of the sale yet.

failing hard!

Origin is actually pretty good. It is a halfway-done Steam clone.

It is just that while I respect the effort, I really don't need a halfway done Steam clone. I'd rather that all my EA games were in my Steam library so I didn't have to run two applications.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, I made a quick and dirty OT for Euro Truck. I'll pretty it up later, but for now the game at least has an official topic here on GAF:

Euro Truck 2 OT

Glix

You know Surgeon Simulator is pretty easy, but some of the perfect achievements are very hard.

Really?

The ambulance stuff has been pretty brutal to me so far.

Still the most fun I've had playing anything in ages, especially if there are people watching.

Prophane33

I don't hate the software itself, I just hate that I now have to have another client installed just because EA had to have their own.

Fair enough point, I just checked I only have BF:BC2, Battlefield 1942,BF2, BF3, Dragon Age:Origins Ultimate, and Fifa Soccer 12 on my Origin account. I have 3 games on Uplay, and around 30 on gamersgate (90% are steam keys), 2 on Desura, and 302 on Steam (plus various keys from Amazon, GetGames,GMG etc.). I don't care where the game comes from as long as it's cheap. However, there have been a handful of cases where I've double-dipped on something to get a Steam version. I just don't see the reason some people act like Origin killed their dog and burnt down their house.

Super House of Dead Ninjas is faster paced than Rogue Legacy and doesn't have the grinding aspects. I'd also say it's harder, partially because you can't grind up your OPness on enemies until you can smash through everything. I really liked both games but Rogue Legacy kept my attention for longer periods at a time, while I jump in and play House of Dead Ninjas once or twice and then don't touch it for a week. Compared to Rogue Legacy, where I beat the game and new game + in the span of a week.

Both are great games, Super House of Dead Ninjas is more of an arcade/classic game feel where Rogue Legacy fits right in with some big indie titles of the last couple years like Spelunky, FTL, and Binding of Isaac.

edit: Also, there's no demo for Super House of Dead Ninjas but you can play the flash game that it was before a retail version was made. Adult Swim Games has it on their site.

Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom