• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Stay clear from Kingdoms of Amalur. I shamefully bought it day 1 on the 360 and my friend played it to. We both neveribeat it. I was like 40 hours in until I hit this "invisible" boredom wall. You instantly realize the game lacks depth, originality, and is HIGHLY repetitive. Combat IS fun...for the first few hours. Very easy on the hardest difficulty mode IMO. The environments are sooooooo lonely. Just you and monsters.

Imagine a mini WoW world without players besides yourself.

Quests and story are highly forgettable.

The only redeeming quality is the combat "can" be good at times, but it really lacks depth. It has potential...it does, but it falls soon after you "realize" it. You may not believe me at 5 hours in, 20 hours in...but you will soon at "some" point.

I'm totally cool with buying Amalur for like $4 and playing it for a few hours, even. I don't need, or want, to finish every game I buy.

Mugatu

Fair enough point, I just checked I only have BF:BC2, Battlefield 1942,BF2, BF3, Dragon Age:Origins Ultimate, and Fifa Soccer 12 on my Origin account. I have 3 games on Uplay, and around 30 on gamersgate (90% are steam keys), 2 on Desura, and 302 on Steam (plus various keys from Amazon, GetGames,GMG etc.). I don't care where the game comes from as long as it's cheap. However, there have been a handful of cases where I've double-dipped on something to get a Steam version. I just don't see the reason some people act like Origin killed their dog and burnt down their house.

I generally agree, at the time Origin came out I really hated EA though, back to cautiously optimistic now.

It's weird, on the one hand I do like Valve but I don't want them to have a monopoly on PC gaming so competition is good. I just didn't want more fragmentation. I already had hoped GFWL would die and MS would just join Steam but instead Origin happened and then uPlay and it really pissed me off for a while.

It has definitely gotten a LOT better and I have quite a few games on there so I'm not boycotting it or anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For the people wanting to try out Titan Quest (hint: it's fantastic)

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Titan Quest -- MB-B83EFB631C03D42C - Taken by CrowdChant

stop calling me Sophie dammit ♥
H5ARVU9.png

-NeoTB1-

I'm totally cool with buying Amalur for like $4 and playing it for a few hours, even. I don't need, or want, to finish every game I buy.

Eh, I enjoyed it. Bought it at launch for $40 and thought it was well worth it. I had some friends who really liked it, and some who hated it. YMMV.

ss_lemonade

For the people wanting to try out Titan Quest (hint: it's fantastic)
I would but I already got 2 games today through modbot.

Is there a way to redeem codes through the browser by the way? I'm at work right now so I can't just install steam to redeem the codes I received

antitrop

I generally agree, at the time Origin came out I really hated EA though, back to cautiously optimistic now.
I don't really understand this line of thinking, even though it's pervasive. I think EA has been in a steep decline over the last several years, they have gotten worse, not better. I was pretty accepting with what they were doing at the end of last decade (as long as they were putting out games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space), my trust in them has shaken greatly. Especially in the last twelve months.

Battlefield 4 will probably make everything okay, again, though. It really doesn't take much, BF4 does look pretty awesome.

I primarily blame the failure of SWTOR for the recent downturn.

I'm holding out for a massive deal on Super House of Dead Ninjas. Probably gonna end up getting it on the last day along with Super Hexagon. Basically if it's super, sign me up lol

Still kinda salty about how I missed Gunpoint last night because I forgot to checkout before heading to see Pacific Rim. Grr.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Giveaway time.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Half Life 3 -- MB-6C11FA7ABCCFD076 - Taken by Mugatu

Mugatu

Is there a way to redeem codes through the browser by the way? I'm at work right now so I can't just install steam to redeem the codes I received

There were so many Dark Souls being given away and I swear every time I hit F5 I saw a new contest that was already won. Bad timing.

masterkajo

I don't think so but at least with modbot you can take your time until you redeem them at home. Remember the brutal uncivilised times when you had to quote a post, grab the code and redeem as fast as possible?

I think I'll be buying XCOM

the demo was pretty cool

any recommendations on DLC?

Get both. Both let you costumize your dudes and it is the only thing you will need. Their deaths will hurt soo much more. The more expensive one (Slingshot) also gets you 3 new missions as well as a new story character.

Grief.exe

I don't really understand this line of thinking, even though it's pervasive. I think EA has been in a steep decline over the last several years, they have gotten worse, not better. I was pretty accepting with what they were doing at the end of last decade (as long as they were putting out games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space), my trust in them has shaken greatly. Especially in the last twelve months.

Battlefield 4 will probably make everything okay, again, though. It really doesn't take much, BF4 does look pretty awesome.

I primarily blame the failure of SWTOR for the recent downturn.

BF4 looks like a BF3 patch and a map pack to me.

Really?

The ambulance stuff has been pretty brutal to me so far.

Still the most fun I've had playing anything in ages, especially if there are people watching.

Managed to do the heart transplant first try, barely (almost ran out of blood in less than 10 minutes!). I don't even want to think about doing the kidney transplant in the ambulance. Worried that the next mode to unlock will be something even worse, like "space station."

Glix

Managed to do the heart transplant first try, barely (almost ran out of blood in less than 10 minutes!). I don't even want to think about doing the kidney transplant in the ambulance. Worried that the next mode to unlock will be something even worse, like "space station."

Hahahahahahahah! This post is too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom