• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Guys, do you think Kindoms of Amalur has a chance of been in the sale? I don't even know what company is handling its prices now.

That company would be The State of Rhode Island. And... maybe(?)

MikeDown

Banned
JZqjm7V.png

Got Portal 2 from GK86 and Swapper from Micheal Bolton
Portal 2 is amazing, so much fun. Much longer and w/ more of a story then portal. Portal2 randomly appeared in my library one day so i played it.

Zeroth

How is Van Helsing? It's relatively cheap so I'm thinking about buying it. Would it entice someone who was pretty bored with Torchlight 2?

Grief.exe

Guys, do you think Kindoms of Amalur has a chance of been on sale? I don't even know what company is handling its prices now.

Rhode Island owns the IP and authorizes the discounts.

Its already been on sale once this year since the IP has been handed over. Rhode Island netted over $700,000 with that one sale.

I can't believe they wouldn't put it on sale again.

How is Van Helsing? It's relatively cheap so I'm thinking about buying it. Would it entice someone who was pretty bored with Torchlight 2?

Antitrop has been saying all day that it is significantly better than D3 and TL2 in terms of gameplay.

Caerith

So, why the love for Van Helsing? It's a Diablo-like, right? What sets it apart from the other games in that genre (Torchlight, Titan Quest, Path of Exile)?

Ettie

Some Google-Fu leads me to believe I should wait on Van Helsing for awhile. I'd be getting it exclusively for multiplayer, so I really want that ironed out before I jump in. They are actively patching the game as of July 4, so hopefully by the next midweek madness or the winter sale it'll be all fixed up.

Last patch multiplayer fixes:

Known issues:

The multiplayer game still has some issues. Switching roles between host and client might cause some loss of progress in the story.

Fixed bugs:

Multiplayer

Fixed a bug with the Treasure Hunter perk. It properly shows up in the detailed information panel when playing with more than 2 players.
Fixed a lot of achievements that only worked for the host.
Katarina works right when you send her away☺
Katarina sells the items if you switched to another map as a client while she is out shopping.
Characters who reached the level limit shows normal number as the XP required for their next level in multiplayer.
Fixed some story progression errors.
After respawning at a checkpoint, your character works normally.
Inviting/joining from outside the game now works correctly.
Icons of the spells affecting Katarina no longer show up at the bottom right corner for the clients.
Fixed an issue with the other player's HP display.
Effects don’t remain on screen for the client after they should have disappeared.
Fixed some issues with a skill of the gargoyles.

Vodh

Just bought Binding of Isaac DLC purely with card sale money since I'm kinda over my budget anyways. Feels good man.

Some Google-Fu leads me to believe I should wait on Van Helsing for awhile. I'd be getting it exclusively for multiplayer, so I really want that ironed out before I jump in. They are actively patching the game as of July 4, so hopefully by the next midweek madness or the winter sale it'll be all fixed up.

Like you would play it soon anyway.

antitrop

Antitrop has been saying all day that it is significantly better than D3 and TL2 in terms of gameplay.
I think it's the charming side character and dialogue of Van Helsing that put it over T2, for me. The game has a lot of personality, Torchlight 2 felt pretty generic. Maybe not quite as generic as Diablo 3.

As far as gameplay and mechanics go, all three are pretty similarly polished, although D3 obviously has the most superior polish and "feel". For gameplay mechanics, between Torchlight II and Van Helsing it's going to come down to personal preference.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Rhode Island owns the IP and authorizes the discounts.

Its already been on sale once this year since the IP has been handed over. Rhode Island netted over $700,000 with that one sale.

I can't believe they wouldn't put it on sale again.

Rhode Island the state?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, why the love for Van Helsing? It's a Diablo-like, right? What sets it apart from the other games in that genre (Torchlight, Titan Quest, Path of Exile)?

For me it was the level of character customization that's possible. There are only a certain number of skill points you get by the end of the game, and the customization tree is crazy. So crazy that there isn't a single screenshot I can find online that combines the various skill trees.

Think skill trees like Borderlands (multiple categories) and then imagine each of those having probably 100 points that could easily go into each tree. And you'll be lucky to get 50-60 throughout the adventure (so far).

There are re-spec "merchants" throughout the game so it's pretty painless to change strides when you want to. The loot is great and the combat is fun. There's even a tower defense mode that's pretty cool. In addition to setting traps you can run around with your character and slay monsters so it's more like a tower defense hybrid.

Seriously, this game is awesome and well done. Every ARPG fan should get it!

I think it's the charming side character and dialogue of Van Helsing that put it over T2, for me. The game has a lot of personality, Torchlight 2 felt pretty generic. Maybe not quite as generic as Diablo 3.

How's the loot? does it sometimes have affixes that encourage you to change up your playstyle or is it mostly just "this item is better because the numbers are a little bit higher". Hated that in Diablo 3.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
As someone 'new' to steam gaming (after a fresh install of Bootcamp on my mac), and wanting to get my city building on - Tropico 4 or Sim City 4?

SC4 if you are looking for a city builder. T4 is more light hearted, funny, city type builder. If you are on windows 8, look at the forums in regards to SC4. There is trouble getting it to run.

antitrop

How's the loot? does it sometimes have affixes that encourage you to change up your playstyle or is it mostly just "this item is better because the numbers are a little bit higher". Hated that in Diablo 3.
I don't really pay specific attention to the loot, as crazy as that sounds.

I just equip things that are green, always works. Well, at least on a first playthrough on Normal I mean.

therapist

Lol poor Dave

How are they allowed to just change the name from WarZ to something else?

Those motherfucker's shadiness knows no bounds seriously WTF

Should not be allowed

So far ive only bought far cry 3 and mark of the ninja...im hoping for arma 3 to be a bit cheaper but since its beta, highly doubtful

Cth

Lol poor Dave

How are they allowed to just change the name from WarZ to something else?

Those motherfucker's shadiness knows no bounds seriously WTF

Should not be allowed

So far ive only bought far cry 3 and mark of the ninja...im hoping for arma 3 to be a bit cheaper but since its beta, highly doubtful

Wasn't there some potential lawsuit from the Day Z/World War Z people?

I think I remember there was a contest to pick their new name.

That part I can sort of let slide. Everything else? Nope.

For me it was the level of character customization that's possible. There are only a certain number of skill points you get by the end of the game, and the customization tree is crazy. So crazy that there isn't a single screenshot I can find online that combines the various skill trees.

Think skill trees like Borderlands (multiple categories) and then imagine each of those having probably 100 points that could easily go into each tree. And you'll be lucky to get 50-60 throughout the adventure (so far).

There are re-spec "merchants" throughout the game so it's pretty painless to change strides when you want to. The loot is great and the combat is fun. There's even a tower defense mode that's pretty cool. In addition to setting traps you can run around with your character and slay monsters so it's more like a tower defense hybrid.

Seriously, this game is awesome and well done. Every ARPG fan should get it!
How viable would you say playing through that game without any magic skills is? I don't mean things like weapon enchantments or stuff like that, but straight up shooting fireball and lightning out of hands magic? I don't really care to play magic casters in games and this game featuring only the one character makes me pause wondering if it'll be forced on me.

Caerith

I just bought XCOM and its DLC (over 12 bucks), and it didn't give me any cards. WTF is that shit? :/
You know how every day, from 10:00 to 10:01 PDT, we get a page and a half of "wtf there aren't any daily deals today?" "wtf there aren't any flash sales?" "wtf there isn't a community choice vote?" and then from 10:01 to 10:03 PDT we get "wtf this game is a daily/flash but it's showing the regular price?" and "fuck you valve, what kind of daily deal is -25%" and other stupid shit?

Dec

It plays really well, has some neat quests, and I thought the companion was really interesting.

She has good dialogue that is quite funny, has her own skill tree and attack modes and can do things similar to TL pets. Along with plenty of other cool things.

It's strange to describe these types of games but it took up all my time for a good two days straight.

antitrop

I saw Pacific Rim today. It was totally badass.

I wish there was a game like that. Or someone competent made a nice, high-budget licensed tie-in for it, not that laughable Yukes shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom