• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my third Steam sale and I am shopping for three people. :( I have my partner and his brother to buy for. I'm dedicated to fulfilling their wishlists before my own. My partner in particular has only just bought a computer actually capable of supporting gaming and is excited by that prospect. I signed him up to Steam and so far have bought him: Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, Fez, Don't Starve, Chivalry, The Binding of Issac and The Basement Collection (unfortunately missed the various FTL sales)

More recommendations for his Steam library would be much appreciated thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wow

ilYggnt4XG2WI.png

Lul29o0.png

Vecks

I was afraid of that. :(

If a winner doesn't pop up in the next couple of minutes I'll edit in the whole ModBot code to the original post.

...or not! Yay glad it worked out! It was this post for the curious. Hidden in an email tag.

Wow. Modbot continues to impress. Now you can do number guessing games. Hide a number. One out of ten chance. (I wonder if Modbot could survive that.)

Wait, I purchased for $18.04 since the Steam Summer Sale started:

$2.49 + $3.74 + $2.49 + $8.70 + $0.62 = $18.04

But Steam says in my Badges page that I only bought for $15.55...

Wtf?

This is my third Steam sale and I am shopping for three people. :( I have my partner and his brother to buy for. I'm dedicated to fulfilling their wishlists before my own. My partner in particular has only just bought a computer actually capable of supporting gaming and is excited by that prospect. I signed him up to Steam and so far have bought him: Hotline Miami, Fez, Don't Starve and Chivalry

FTL
ROGUE LEGACY
MARK OF THE NINJA
SYSTEM SHOCK 2
CIV 5
SUPER MEAT BOY
BASTION
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
SLEEPING DOGS
PORTAL/PORTAL 2
XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN
TO THE MOON
TORCHLIGHT II
THE WITCHER 2
MOUNT & BLADE : WARBAND
DARK SOULS
BORDERLANDS 2
MACHINARIUM
THE WALKING DEAD

You can also go to https://www.humblebundle.com/ and buy bundles of indie games for really cheap; it's a good way to get a lot of games for a low price.

FTL
ROGUE LEGACY
MARK OF THE NINJA
SYSTEM SHOCK 2
CIV 5
SUPER MEAT BOY
BASTION
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
SLEEPING DOGS
PORTAL/PORTAL 2
XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN
TO THE MOON

You can also go to https://www.humblebundle.com/ and buy bundles of indie games for really cheap; it's a good way to get a lot of games for a low price.

I forgot, I also bought him Super Meat Boy. I have quite a few spare keys from my own Humble Bundles that I have passed along. Great site. Thanks for the recommendations. I definitely want to buy him FTL, Rogue Legacy and XCOM. They look right up his alley.

This is my third Steam sale and I am shopping for three people. :( I have my partner and his brother to buy for. I'm dedicated to fulfilling their wishlists before my own. My partner in particular has only just bought a computer actually capable of supporting gaming and is excited by that prospect. I signed him up to Steam and so far have bought him: Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, Fez, Don't Starve, Chivalry, The Binding of Issac and The Basement Collection (unfortunately missed the various FTL sales)

Gemini Rue, awesome graphic adventure, will also add variety to his library.

I forgot, I also bought him Super Meat Boy. I have quite a few spare keys from my own Humble Bundles that I have passed along. Great site. Thanks for the recommendations. I definitely want to buy him FTL, Rogue Legacy and XCOM. They look right up his alley.

I edited my post with more games. That list is more or less my game library :D
What genres are they interested in? Might be easier to recommend stuff if I knew.

Edit- if you have gaffers on your Steam list, you can look at their game library and wish list for ideas. Here's mine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hi-fi_famicom

gabbo

He's Gaben's partner now, for you have turned him onto the drug known as "Steam"

Amneisia: The Dark Decent

Gemini Rue, awesome graphic adventure, will also add variety to his library.

This game has caught my eye. I've been wanting it for a while. If it doesn't receive a bigger discount, I'm going to buy it on the last day of the sale. Thanks for the suggestion.

I edited my post with more games. That list is more or less my game library :D
What genres are they interested in? Might be easier to recommend stuff if I knew.

Edit- if you have gaffers on your Steam list, you can look at their game library and wish list for ideas. Here's mine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hi-fi_famicom

He's not much for re-playing games we already own console ports of. Doesn't see the value. Smaller, indie titles and exclusives are probably more his style. He doesn't really enjoy strategy, puzzlers or point and click games. I'll check out your library, probably add you too.

He's Gaben's partner now, for you have turned him onto the drug known as "Steam"

Lol. Oh god, I never thought of that. It's exactly what Gaben wants though, for me to turn others to him.

botlite

Deus Ex Human Revolution + The Missing Link DLC is excellent and it's very cheap right now.

Ok couple questions. What is Infestation: Survivor Stories? Is it really like the thread title says, WarZ? And is it any good? Like for $3 good? (I love zombie shit).

Edit: whoa! Just seen the metacritic score of 20! Lol wtf?

Also, what is Garry's Mod exactly? Is it an actual game? If anyone could shed some light I'd appreciate it very much.

Ok couple questions. What is Infestation: Survivor Stories? Is it really like the thread title says, WarZ? And is it any good? Like for $3 good? (I love zombie shit).

Also, what is Garry's Mod exactly? Is it an actual game? If anyone could shed some light I'd appreciate it very much.

It is WarZ, they changed the title to try and distance themselves or whatever.
From my understanding Garry's Mod is a sandbox where you just do what you want.

Garry's Mod is a sandbox and a way to play other interesting mods. Infestation is War Z, they just changed the name to escape legal problems after the release of the film of the same name. It's not $3 good. It's not $1 good. It's a damn atrocity, and the developers are lying scum that have treated their fans horribly (Sergey Titov took to the game's forums and described certain types of players with a homophobic slur, for example). I made the mistake of pre-ordering it for $40 before there was any footage and people thought it would be ok. I'm ashamed every day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's a horribly-designed game and the developers are equally terrible.

It's not a game, more a physics sandbox. Since it uses the Source engine, you can also import models and the like from other Source games (e.g. Left 4 Dead).

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom