• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

I love this thread. And please de refrain from giving away infestation/warz ppl. I would rather be strapped to a chair with an oculus rift version of bad rats then see a penny go the way of that horse dung. Pc off to class!

Quoting myself for emphasis, and i'm back :D.

Eternia

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is surprisingly addictive. Much like Wario64 said on Twitter, it's engrossing enough that I ended up wanting to play it while collecting cards, rather than just idling it at the main menu. Ended up getting a fairly valuable Foil that's worth around $5 right now.

Now for Torchlight 2.
I'm tempted in grabbing it the more people talk about.

I also just now grabbed Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. For about slightly more than $7 in TF2 keys, I couldn't say no!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I dreamt I got a foil, but then it turned out to be a foil for a game I didn't own, and then it turned out everyone got that foil and it wasn't worth shit.

After that I had a dream about owning a T-Rex zoo or something, but that foil dream was pretty sad.

Grief.exe

I'm headed off to bed, later guys.

Probably late, but Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3's page is up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234670/

No pre-order just yet.

I posted a thread about it as soon as it showed up in the registry and, subsequently, on the store.

Didn't seem to be too much interest.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627746

Welcome back! I swear, this feels more like a chatroom than a thread sometimes. (Not a complaint, mind.)

ilCascbufrEo6.png

liezryou

I'm tempted in grabbing it the more people talk about.

I also just now grabbed Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. For about slightly more than $7 in TF2 keys, I couldn't say no!

I've been selling euro truck 2 for 5.5$ (or 3 tf2 keys), if you want it get at me.

Sajjaja

Everybody should buy Monaco when it goes in a deal!

I googled for the developer's twitter last night, and the link that google threw up went to a page that threw up an error. Tweeted the dev, told him there was a broken link and explained what it was and joked he could send me a copy of Monaco to say thanks.

Literally 15 minutes later, he DMd me a code. Awesome sauce. I'll definitely be buying a copy to gift to a friend, and I hope I can encourage sitting-on-fence-GAF to jump in too, as he seems like a thoroughly decent chap!

Can I be that friend? ;D

Jomjom

Banned
I hate how year after year Telltale's Law and Order: Legacies refuses to drop below 50% even though every other Telltale game has.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I CHANGED THE MOSAIC

People are complaining that they didn't find their Avatar, so I made a couple changes and posted a log file along with it: You can now find your Avatar, as long as you know the name of the filename used for it.

EDIT:

So, for the past 3 hours, here's what I did:

Created a PERL script that would go through the Steam thread and catalog every single post avatar.
Downloaded everything.
Did 5 minutes research to find a Mosaic-Creator

Results:

Original Image:

Resized Mosaic:

Actual Size of the Mosaic:

Real-size mosaic (about 9 megs):
http://i.minus.com/ipUahdOfh6ybA.jpg

There's 1,340 unique avatars (as far as I can tell) on this thread (probably more now, since a couple of pages have been added since I started making the mosaics). They were only 20% color shifted to fit the original image, so they're less altered and the previous mosaic images posted. ALL AVATARS I MANAGED TO GRAB WERE USED. If you want to know where is your avatar, all you have to do is remember what name does it have (right click your avatar and save it) and this list will tell you where it was used According to that report, my avatar was only used once.

No repeats Avatar (if your avatar is not here, it wasn't used):
No repeats Real Size:
http://i.minus.com/is12FU3g3e07A.jpg

Report of where each avatar was used: here According to the report, 1300 avatars were used.

It came out pretty nice. And I learned a little bit of Perl in the mean time. Always fun to program something stupid on a language you don't know.. :D

When my marketplace account finally unlocks later today, should I open the Hotline Miami booster or sell it? They're going for about 15% more than the cost of three Hotline Miami cards, so I'm thinking that it may be worth the gamble opening it to see if there's a foil in it.

Maiger

Bought Chivalry. Game looks great! Looking forwards to getting decapitated. I just hope this game isn't too cruel playing alone.

It came out pretty nice. And I learned a little bit of Perl in the mean time. Always fun to program something stupid on a language you don't know.. :D

Absolutely fantastic! Can't seem to find mine on there, but I noticed some avatars re-use a few times. Did you code hard limits on the amount of duplicate avatars?

Arthea

I've tried so hard to buy no games....

But TWD for $6,

then FTL for $2 something

now CS:S for $5.....

I guess $13 isn't too big a dent this year.

you tried not hard enough, I tried harder
(spend ~$80 instead of planned 50$)
And it's not the end still. Now, to survive last days.

edited:

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Absolutely fantastic! Can't seem to find mine on there, but I noticed some avatars re-use a few times. Did you code hard limits on the amount of duplicate avatars?

Unlimited times and 15 tiles spacing minimum (biggest default value of the program). I could tell it to never repeat avatars, but then the image wouldn't be completely filled.

I could do a little more tinkering with the program, but I was more interested in the automated process of scanning every page of the thread and extracting the avatars from everybody.

Also, it's 5:30 am. :D

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodline pleeeeeeeeeeease be on the next flash sale.

Everybody should buy Monaco when it goes in a deal!

I googled for the developer's twitter last night, and the link that google threw up went to a page that threw up an error. Tweeted the dev, told him there was a broken link and explained what it was and joked he could send me a copy of Monaco to say thanks.

Literally 15 minutes later, he DMd me a code. Awesome sauce. I'll definitely be buying a copy to gift to a friend, and I hope I can encourage sitting-on-fence-GAF to jump in too, as he seems like a thoroughly decent chap!

So he gave you a free game and then you tell people to buy it? I didn't think they were indie shills.

So he gave you a free game and then you tell people to buy it? I didn't think they were indie shills.

It's hardly a shill if I offered full disclosure up front.

Generally people are quick to criticise shitty dev behaviour (myself included), but the nicer stuff doesn't tend to get reported as much. This was my small attempt to redress that balance.

Community saves me some money lately with those voting skillz.
I should be thankful, no?

I think in this instance, the best game won. Although I'm not sure how much life is left in the community with Payday 2 just around the corner.

Payday? Really? I'll admit the boardgame version was great...but my time spent with it on PS3 was very negative.

Oh well. Hopefully we get some nice deals up soon.

So, for the past 3 hours, here's what I did:

Created a PERL script that would go through the Steam thread and catalog every single post avatar.
Downloaded everything.
Did 5 minutes research to find a Mosaic-Creator

Results:

Original Image:

Resized Mosaic:

Actual Size of the Mosaic:

Real-size mosaic (about 9 megs):
http://i.minus.com/i4mNGcRoTCKaB.jpg

There's 1,340 unique avatars (as far as I can tell) on this thread (probably more now, since a couple of pages have been added since I started making the mosaics). They were only 20% color shifted to fit the original image, so they're less altered and the previous mosaic images posted. I don't think all avatars were used, because the program matches whatever are the best color matches for the base image and repeats a few, even though I made the repeat frequency smaller. They're smaller than the original images, because I guess the program I used resized them so it fits the amount of "pieces" I asked on the resolution I told it to do?

Wow, Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom