• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pvax

Neo Member
I'm really hoping to see Trials Evolution Gold Edition on a Flash/Daily at some point. You'd think people would eat it up.

sapsari

So, for the past 3 hours, here's what I did:

Created a PERL script that would go through the Steam thread and catalog every single post avatar.
Downloaded everything.
Did 5 minutes research to find a Mosaic-Creator

Results:

Original Image:

Resized Mosaic:

Actual Size of the Mosaic:

Real-size mosaic (about 9 megs):
http://i.minus.com/i4mNGcRoTCKaB.jpg

There's 1,340 unique avatars (as far as I can tell) on this thread (probably more now, since a couple of pages have been added since I started making the mosaics). They were only 20% color shifted to fit the original image, so they're less altered and the previous mosaic images posted. I don't think all avatars were used, because the program matches whatever are the best color matches for the base image and repeats a few, even though I made the repeat frequency smaller. They're smaller than the original images, because I guess the program I used resized them so it fits the amount of "pieces" I asked on the resolution I told it to do?

It came out pretty nice. And I learned a little bit of Perl in the mean time. Always fun to program something stupid on a language you don't know.. :D

Good work, but where is my avatar?

It's hardly a shill if I offered full disclosure up front.

Generally people are quick to criticise shitty dev behaviour (myself included), but the nicer stuff doesn't tend to get reported as much. This was my small attempt to redress that balance.

Address what? Are we supposed to give positive PR to devs now?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So the Grand Theft Auto Complete Package for $12.49 seems pretty good. Do the ports run well? Should I be concerned about the SecuROM DRM?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Created a PERL script that would go through the Steam thread and catalog every single post avatar.
Downloaded everything.

Results:

Original Image:

Resized Mosaic:

There's 1,340 unique avatars (as far as I can tell) on this thread (probably more now, since a couple of pages have been added since I started making the mosaics). They were only 20% color shifted to fit the original image, so they're less altered and the previous mosaic images posted. I don't think all avatars were used, because the program matches whatever are the best color matches for the base image and repeats a few, even though I made the repeat frequency smaller. They're smaller than the original images, because I guess the program I used resized them so it fits the amount of "pieces" I asked on the resolution I told it to do?

It came out pretty nice. And I learned a little bit of Perl in the mean time. Always fun to program something stupid on a language you don't know.. :D

This is... the most beautiful image. We are moved to tears by the size of the thing.

I doubt that would happen. The best game never wins the community votes.

tumblr_mds9eaB2y51qi9d7mo1_500.gif

Address what? Are we supposed to give positive PR to devs now?

Redress not address. Someone did something nice and I reported it. Good people deserve good publicity. Why is that such a bad thing?

Anyhoo - I don't know why you have such a bee in your bonnet about it. Particularly as it seems that "BUY REUS NAOW!!!111!!!!" is on virtually every page of the Steam Sale Thread at least three times, yet you haven't picked up on "shilling" there....

Are the people who are still playing it like... instant headshot with the AWP every time? lol

Depends where you play of course. I've only played about 3 hours, but the general conclusion I found is that people still suck as much as they ever did ;)

You'll still get a couple of people per server who know what they are doing, but there is plenty of fun to be had just running around like a headless chicken with the others.

Martian

Downloaded everything.

Results:

Original Image:

Resized Mosaic:

Awesome!

I didn't make the cut

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've made a great mistake.

Half of the avatars were not used on the first rendition of that mosaic.

I'll re-make it and post it on that same message in a couple minutes, but I'll make a new one tomorrow, with another base image.

I'm such an idiot.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I'll re-make it and post it on that same message in a couple minutes, but I'll make a new one tomorrow, with another base image.

I'm such an idiot.

it's OK, we all make mistakes

I'm such an idiot.

Shit happens. And its not your fault. You used programs to do it. So they made a mistake not you.

About the deals : Why Gaben? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom