• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

I kinda want to get Dark Souls, but I've already played it for a bit (and I played like half of Demon's Souls) and I've watched friends play, I'm not a huge fan of it but I do like the whole universe and that's the one thing I'd want to experience, getting lost in it...

I think if it was like 4€ I'd get it without a second thoughts.

What do you think gaf? Please don't all just go 'do it' because seriously I don't want to be blindly manipulated you bastards, I want to at least get the impression that I'm making a reasonable thing if I buy it. Is it cheaper anywhere else?

marrec

Banned
is Chivalry any good?
wonder if it'll go on sale again

It's a fun chaos simulator, best part about it is that the skill ceiling is set at a point where you can become extremely good at 1vs1 encounters or you can be a shit player that goes in with a big ass sword and kills a bunch of people in a huge melee and then be just good enough to GTFO before someone else stabs you in the back.

There's not much else too it though, unfortunately.

Anyone knows what happened to the Deadlight Cards?

They were the first dev, that twittered, that they have cards available soon, but till now the Game was even featured in some deals, but still no cards :(

Mugatu

Anyone knows what happened to the Deadlight Cards?

They were the first dev, that twittered, that they have cards available soon, but till now the Game was even featured in some deals, but still no cards :(

Oh yeah, I remember that - I haven't heard s thing since. I got that game from an Amazon bundle and have been holding off playing it since then.

gift it to your email account and then set the url you get in you remail as the key for modbot.

Edit: I think you have to edit the url and take out the "?........." part when using it in the modbot PM.

I dunno, it's saying invalid product code

First person to quote gets Torchlight 1. My Steam name is in my profile

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, of the game's I've played so far:

Runner 2 -- 2-2.5 hours so far: At first I thought it was a good deal easier than Runner 1, even if you skip the checkpoints, but then by the middle of world two half the keyboard has actions assigned to it. Definitely going to come back to this when I have a controller plugged in, as it is clearly made for controllers.

Scribblenauts Unlimited -- 3 hours or so so far: I'm about half-way through and mostly I think this is a better game than the others in the series because of the cool world layout. I don't know what it is, but I'm incapable of playing these games without trying to break them, and break them I have. I've found the game is very gay-friendly and just about anything that calls for a solution which might involve some sort of gendered element can be gender-reversed; a bridal ghost wanted a dream wedding so I gave her a bride and a female pastor and the game had no problem. On the other hand, in another level, giving the priest who wanted relics of the church a Menorah made him very disappointed and angry, so maybe not totally progressive. In general bribes also don't work for solving problems. I wish there was manual camera zoom control so I could crop hilarious screenshots a little better.

One other thing--I went to a school which wanted something for its flag pole, so naturally I went into the object editor and made an Islamic star and crescent flag. While it worked no problem, the flag that appeared once the kid ran it up the flag pole was neutral and did not reflect my design :/

I will say I'm a little disappointed with Steam Workshop content--rather than solving the game's limitations (no adult content, no alcohol, no proper nouns) it's mostly just people recreating Minecraft and Adventure Time and My Little Pony stuff. Also a lot of the Steam Workshop stuff doesn't seem to be coded properly; for example, Tubethulhu (a wacky waving arm inflatable tube man cthulhu) doesn't solve a question where two monsters want another monster to hang out with, and neither did any of the other monsters I downloaded.

Super House of Dead Ninjas -- Half an hour played so far: This is pretty neat. It's this low resolution game inspired by roguelikes (nigh-infinite randomly generated rooms), the post-Metroidvania Castlevania game designs (not in terms of backtracking or anything, just the visual design and the combat flow and enemies and the way it's all one big giant mansion) where you descend floor by floor an evil mansion filled with traps and critters. You unlock new equipment for use in your next run, including some permanent bonuses. I'd hesitate to call it a roguelike per se and it's action driven, but really fun. I died on literally the last floor, d'oh. There's a bunch of different bosses. Binding of Isaac might be one point of comparison. Very neat little game.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- 6 hours played so far: Even better than I thought it would be. This game is so chock full of stuff, there's so many things to do. Inventive achievements that encourage varied play, 8 different surgeries to complete, incentives to score attack. Excellent, wonderful UI that is built entirely around the main controls rather than using a boring menu screen, meaning that the "menu" itself has as much to do and as much game to play as any of the surgeries. And such a satisfying feeling as you learn what works and what doesn't and improve your scores and times. I just did brain surgery in an ambulance in 45 seconds with an A++ (
Use the fire extinguisher to knock off the top of the patient's skull in one swift clean motion and you can skip right to the brain with 0 damage done!
)

Still to play:
Alpha Prime
Avencast
Cart Life
Darwinia
Deus Ex HR (replay since I beat it on 360, but first playthrough for Missing Link)
Duke 3d Megaton Edition
Fallout NV (75% completed on 360 but never tried any DLC or finished a lot of side quests)
Fly'N
Gunpoint
Hack, Slash, Loot
Max Payne 3 (replay since I beat it on 360, but never tried any additional modes or difficulties)
Orcs Must Die! 2
The Political Machine 2012
Rogue Legacy
Sang-Froid -- this is next up because no one else owns it or has played it
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory
System Shock 2 (umpteenth replay but first in 4 or 5 years)
Torchlight II
Under the Ocean

Kerrinck

Anybody having trouble launching Dark Souls?
Nothing happens whenever I try to launch it, not even an error screen.

Even weirder is the fact that it was playing perfectly fine a couple of months ago after I finished it for the 1st time.

chugen

MVVjjF2.jpg

shiiiit, thanks a lot tomalexi!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the problem was that on modbot you remove the ? and everything after it - at least that's how it was explained to me.

The issue seems to be that he's putting in the token as a product code. When it comes to Steam gift URLs, you copy and paste the URL into your address bar to redeem the game.

Edit: Oh, right, he's on the other side -- trying to set up a gift using a URL.

ruxtpin

Banned
I managed to beat Organ Trail last night (and got a foil card in the process - not sure what the really entails). Fun little game, but to save myself the hassle... I just shot all my companions in D.C. Extra mouths to feed. There are zombies afoot, and I can't let my g/f or brother or Ricky Bobby slow me down.

I liked all the nods to other zombie games out there. Gotta' try to go through it again, but without killing off my entire team in the opening minutes.

mclem

There are now well over 100 games with cards. Ease up, Valve!

I think it's out of Valve's hands; looks like lots of companies are looking to get on the cards train. It makes sense; submit a few pieces of artwork, instantly make your game more appealing for very little effort.

JaseC

Ah, I see.

No, you were right; I misunderstood and apparently he is trying to present a redemption URL as a key. You may be correct in that the redeemer portion of the URL is causing issues (something you want to chop off, anyway, as there's no need to share your e-mail address).

JaseC

I think it's out of Valve's hands; looks like lots of companies are looking to get on the cards train. It makes sense; submit a few pieces of artwork, instantly make your game more appealing for very little effort.

It's not out of Valve's hands; Valve decides when cards are released. The "issue" at the moment is that each day of the Summer Sale introduces new cards, which I think is a a tad overwhelming.

JaseC

Really wish they'd tweak the badge page now. A scrolling list was great when I had a few games with cards, but now that there are a shitton...it's just a pain scrolling endlessly through them.

There are a few sorting options, but the "In Progress" option in particular should begin from most free drops, to least free drops, and finally sort in alphabetical order the games with no free drops. It is, as you say, rather messy at present.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hRRL1Bg.png

lol :(

Thankfully I already bought Bully in the Amazon sale. DA: Origins is available but only the vanilla edition for some reason.

wilflare

I got a copy of Nuclear Dawn I would like to giveaway.
so i gift it to myself.. copy the code? and send it to modbot?

anyone know the flags and stuff again?

Prophane33

check out the OP it's quite helpful took me a few minutes of reading but my giveaway went off without a hitch.

MikeDown

Banned
Good morning everybody! Will probably hop into the shower soon, I'm so sore, prolly shouldn't have done that soap wrestling the other day. How is everybody?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No, you were right; I misunderstood and apparently he is trying to present a redemption URL as a key. You may be correct in that the redeemer portion of the URL is causing issues (something you want to chop off, anyway, as there's no need to share your e-mail address).

I can help troubleshoot but I need an exact copy of the PM forwarded to me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617641

Just showing cards with drops left would be great. This is how it used to work right?

I think earlier it would show games with cards that were just added, but they started to fade from that screen if you didn't play them for a week or two. I don't know if that's the case now, we'll find out next week or so. If they do start to fade away, there really isn't any other place that says a full list of which games have cards that you own.

There are a few sorting options, but the "In Progress" option in particular should begin from most free drops, to least free drops, and finally sort in alphabetical order the games with no free drops. It is, as you say, rather messy at present.

I think part of the problem is they give each game so much damn room. I can fit 4-5 games on the screen at one time, just so much wasted space.

JaseC

Just showing cards with drops left would be great. This is how it used to work right?

Nope, as each incomplete badge is considered "in progress". The problem is that the option gives preference to games with no drops as opposed to games with drops remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom