• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
Cards are totally rigged against me. My friend played one game and got a foil, and he has only 5 cards. I got so many cards but no foils. Should I try to trick him into giving it to me?

Eh, considering people don't read the same page we're on now I figured it didn't matter what page I mentioned!

Haha yes very true. And at the rate these threads have been going, I'm sure only a select few would catch on. I'm positive at least a few people have prob already went back to page 101 looking.

Edit:

What are you talking about, page 101 was yesterday.

Wait? Page 101 for me is from the 17th I think. Viewing GAF from my iPhone.

Shantom

I guess most people play Super Hexagon with a keyboard, right? Or does someone prefer gamepad?

I prefer using analogue sticks. A friend prefers the d-pad. Another friend prefers the keyboard, and another prefers the mouse. Try all the control schemes, see what works for you.

cicero

Cards are totally rigged against me. My friend played one game and got a foil, and he has only 5 cards. I got so many cards but no foils. Should I try to trick him into giving it to me?
If he gives chase, don't run away, fall down, and hurt your knees.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't want to give the dev's any more money than they have already received if it could be avoided

Does anyone have a spare code for Infestation that they never plan on redeeming themselves?

Money was still exchanged for the game, even if it isn't directly yours.

You're gonna have to either own the moral implications of supporting people who you do not want to support or not bother with the game at all.

Mugatu

I hear you, I must have got and sold close to a hundred cards and haven't seen a single foil.

Money was still exchanged for the game, even if it isn't directly yours.

You're gonna have to either own the moral implications of supporting people who you do not want to support or not bother with the game at all.

Yeah. You make a valid point. Ill prob just skip it then, I have more than enough already on my plate to play and I'm still really enjoying
The Last of Us multiplayer.

There is only one choice.

Lol

cicero

I hear you, I must have got and sold close to a hundred cards and haven't seen a single foil.

I was at like 120-130 cards dropped with no foil before I got a horrible foil for McPixel, and then the floodgates opened. I think I have had 7-8 foils drop in the next 100 cards I have had drop since then. Not that they are worth anything now though. Going to keep everything until after the sale ends.

EDIT: Actually, only five foils from in-game drops, two more were foil Summer Sale trading card drops.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Foils only drop if you're actively enjoying playing the game. If you've not got any then you're obviously not having enough fun with it. Also, every half hour of idling reduces your foil drop chance by 10%.

cicero

Foils only drop if you're actively enjoying playing the game. If you've not got any then you're obviously not having enough fun with it. Also, every half hour of idling reduces your foil drop chance by 10%.
LIES. All but one of my foils have come during idling.

zkylon

zkylewd
how's the replayability of payday: the heist?
it's pretty decent, there's some changes every time you play the game like where some stuff is hidden, or where's people at, some paths get blocked, etc., and you can try ghosting a couple missions, and there's also a lot of higher difficulties to try out, etc.

I got a lot of time out of it, community is sorta half-dead now though

Mugatu

I feel your pain, man.

I have a friend with half the cards that I do, but five foils. I have zero.

Wow, 5 foils? No wonder I keep hearing people talk about paying for several games with cards. I've been able to pay for a few small indies with all the ones I've sold but I've seen some people with lists of pretty big games they say they've paid for with cards.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sang-froid -- one hour played: This is really cool, it's very hard to put into words. It's so Canadian. You play as one of two characters, brothers (I chose the lumberjack who wears plaid and has a beard, who incidentally is the Easy/Normal difficulty as opposed to the other brother who is the Hard difficulty). The story is that it's December 1858 (pre-Canada!), your sister was at the local Catholic (all good Quebecois stories are Catholic at heart, and this is explicitly so!) church when the cartoonishly corrupt and evil priest came onto her--she rejected her advances, and in the kefuffle the church got burned down. He blamed her for the situation and the town thinks she's a witch. He makes a deal with the devil to get the girl and sends packs of wolves and werewolves after you at your cabin. The game takes place over 20 or more nights.

The gameplay is divided into two main phases. First you have a planning phase. You see a top-down map of a fairly large area containing buildings. In this phase you can also go into town and buy items and gear or get blessings at the Convent. During the planning phase you see how many waves of enemies will come each night, where they will come from, and what kind of enemies they will be. Each wave has several groups of enemies coming from different locations. You need to set traps to deal with the enemies. Traps cost AP, which is limited. Some traps cost money, which is also limited. Later in the game you can voluntarily give up AP and get paid cash for doing so (this represents spending time chopping wood for sale at a lumber company). Traps include steel tooth wolf traps, pressure based spike traps, overhead nets containing rocks, bonfires that you can light for defensive purposes, bait meat, etc.

When you are ready, you start the night. You spawn in a viewpoint similar to Brutal Legend or Orcs Must Die. You have an axe and a gun. You can run and roll-dodge. All actions take stamina, which regenerates. When stamina is depleted, you become slow. Your gun is single-shot and must be manually reloaded and makes an ungodly amount of noise, so strategic use is key. Each attack you land builds up rage, which can be unleashed in the form of a powerful attack.

Enemies come in packs (YA DON'T SAY!)--each enemy has a "fear level", you do too. The enemy who is next to attack has an icon over his head so you can deal with him first. Fear levels steadily increase. When an enemy's fear level is higher than yours, it can attack. Getting closer raises fear levels. Too close and enemies can attack regardless of fear level. Yelling at enemies lowers their fear level but makes noise and attracts far-off enemies. Attacking lowers their fear level at the cost of your stamina. Bonfires greatly raise your fear level when you're near them.

You can consume items, including Canadian Whisky, to get a bonus. These cost money to buy.

The wolves attack your buildings. Damage to buildings reduces your rewards and I think leads to a game-over if they are destroyed. You have to defend multiple buildings, nowhere near each other, simultaneously and movement across the map is fairly slow so you should rely on traps to slow down or kill most enemies. You have an HP bar, which is depleted by being attacked--if you die, you lose. After a night you get experience, which can give you levelups. There's a full skill tree. You also see plot vignettes between the nights and get tutorials for new features. Everything you can do in the game has an optional tutorial video with a pleasant, older-sounding gentleman narrating.

Finally, the music is an enchanting mix of celtic folk with a fiddle, a bodhran, light guitar, etc and a sort of Jethro Tull heavy-folk-jazz vibe. There's a digeridoo in there somewhere. There's a splendid little version of Reel a Bouche, which is a traditional folk song sung in Canada. It's gorgeous to listen to. I hate when the load screens end and the music cuts off, I'd love to just listen to the OST on its own. The game assets are all unencrypted--WAV for the audio, WMV for the video, PNG for UI element backgrounds and stuff.

The game is a little rough around the edges, load times are pretty long, some of the English voice acting is Quebecois accented, it's not going to win any best looking awards, etc. But there's a lot of heart here and what I've played so far has been very enchanting to me. I recommend Sang-Froid at its flash deal price of $5.09, and I hope that when the next sale rolls around I'm not the only one here who has played it. This was an independent game made by a Quebecois author and a small team of 5-6 people, and it made it through Greenlight, so if you want to support the process and show that it can achieve good results and help independents, here's your test case.

I posted a dozen or so explanatory screenshots on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/screenshots/

I use colour grading on my monitor so some colours might not look right, I ran at 1680x1050 with default settings but turned up AA. I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 at 3.0 GHz, 8 gigs of ram, a 4850, and running off a 5400 RPM hard drive and I had no performance issues besides load times.

P.S. There's a known bug with tutorial movies where only the top half of the video renders. It's a Microsoft issue dealing with how W7 handles WMVs, not an issue with the game. Check the game's discussion page on Steam for solutions if you experience it.

Turfster

Im ashamed of myself :(

Can I change this from the mobile site? I looked under preferences but did not see the option.

Edit: 14 posts away from shedding my junior member
fore
skin!

Dunno about the mobile site, but it's in your control panel/settings/options.

Wow, 5 foils? No wonder I keep hearing people talk about paying for several games with cards. I've been able to pay for a few small indies with all the ones I've sold but I've seen some people with lists of pretty big games they say they've paid for with cards.
Sadly, the foil market has pretty much collapsed too.
The stupid race to the bottom has spoiled the fun we used to have during the beta ;)

Sang-froid -- one hour played: This is really cool, it's very hard to put into words. It's so Canadian. You play as one of two characters, brothers (I chose the lumberjack who wears plaid and has a beard, who incidentally is the Easy/Normal difficulty as opposed to the other brother who is the Hard difficulty). The story is that it's December 1858 (pre-Canada!), your sister was at the local Catholic (all good Quebecois stories are Catholic at heart, and this is explicitly so!) church when the cartoonishly corrupt and evil priest came onto her--she rejected her advances, and in the kefuffle the church got burned down. He blamed her for the situation and the town thinks she's a witch. He makes a deal with the devil to get the girl and sends packs of wolves and werewolves after you at your cabin. The game takes place over 20 or more nights.

The gameplay is divided into two main phases. First you have a planning phase. You see a top-down map of a fairly large area containing buildings. In this phase you can also go into town and buy items and gear or get blessings at the Convent. During the planning phase you see how many waves of enemies will come each night, where they will come from, and what kind of enemies they will be. Each wave has several groups of enemies coming from different locations. You need to set traps to deal with the enemies. Traps cost AP, which is limited. Some traps cost money, which is also limited. Later in the game you can voluntarily give up AP and get paid cash for doing so (this represents spending time chopping wood for sale at a lumber company). Traps include steel tooth wolf traps, pressure based spike traps, overhead nets containing rocks, bonfires that you can light for defensive purposes, bait meat, etc.

When you are ready, you start the night. You spawn in a viewpoint similar to Brutal Legend or Orcs Must Die. You have an axe and a gun. You can run and roll-dodge. All actions take stamina, which regenerates. When stamina is depleted, you become slow. Your gun is single-shot and must be manually reloaded and makes an ungodly amount of noise, so strategic use is key. Each attack you land builds up rage, which can be unleashed in the form of a powerful attack.

Enemies come in packs (YA DON'T SAY!)--each enemy has a "fear level", you do too. The enemy who is next to attack has an icon over his head so you can deal with him first. Fear levels steadily increase. When an enemy's fear level is higher than yours, it can attack. Getting closer raises fear levels. Too close and enemies can attack regardless of fear level. Yelling at enemies lowers their fear level but makes noise and attracts far-off enemies. Attacking lowers their fear level at the cost of your stamina. Bonfires greatly raise your fear level when you're near them.

You can consume items, including Canadian Whisky, to get a bonus. These cost money to buy.

The wolves attack your buildings. Damage to buildings reduces your rewards and I think leads to a game-over if they are destroyed. You have to defend multiple buildings, nowhere near each other, simultaneously and movement across the map is fairly slow so you should rely on traps to slow down or kill most enemies. You have an HP bar, which is depleted by being attacked--if you die, you lose. After a night you get experience, which can give you levelups. There's a full skill tree. You also see plot vignettes between the nights and get tutorials for new features. Everything you can do in the game has an optional tutorial video with a pleasant, older-sounding gentleman narrating.

Finally, the music is an enchanting mix of celtic folk with a fiddle, a bodhran, light guitar, etc and a sort of Jethro Tull heavy-folk-jazz vibe. There's a digeridoo in there somewhere. There's a splendid little version of Reel a Bouche, which is a traditional folk song sung in Canada. It's gorgeous to listen to. I hate when the load screens end and the music cuts off, I'd love to just listen to the OST on its own. The game assets are all unencrypted--WAV for the audio, WMV for the video, PNG for UI element backgrounds and stuff.

The game is a little rough around the edges, load times are pretty long, some of the English voice acting is Quebecois accented, it's not going to win any best looking awards, etc. But there's a lot of heart here and what I've played so far has been very enchanting to me. I recommend Sang-Froid at its flash deal price of $5.09, and I hope that when the next sale rolls around I'm not the only one here who has played it. This was an independent game made by a Quebecois author and a small team of 5-6 people, and it made it through Greenlight, so if you want to support the process and show that it can achieve good results and help independents, here's your test case.

I use colour grading on my monitor so some colours might not look right, I ran at 1680x1050 with default settings but turned up AA. I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 at 3.0 GHz, 8 gigs of ram, a 4850, and running off a 5400 RPM hard drive and I had no performance issues besides load times.

P.S. There's a known bug with tutorial movies where only the top half of the video renders. It's a Microsoft issue dealing with how W7 handles WMVs, not an issue with the game. Check the game's discussion page on Steam for solutions if you experience it.

Wow. Great post. Very informative. Had honestly never heard of this before.

I've been eyeing Van Helsing, but I noticed it's comparable to Torchlight 2 which I just purchased the other day. Is Van Helsing better? Maybe I should just wait till after I finish Torchlight 2

Nabs

Thanks for the impressions. I've been interested ever since an old IGN playthrough. The game reminded me a tiny bit of Iron Grip, so I'll probably grab it down the line.

Acccent

Now that I've bought Dark Souls, any resource I could check out to see the best mods I can use? Sorry, I know this has been posted before, but I can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom