• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I guess most people play Super Hexagon with a keyboard, right? Or does someone prefer gamepad?
Mouse master race over here. Using the keyboard arrows didn't feel well, but the mouse buttons are actually great.

Unfortunately you're forced to use the keyboard to restart the game. I wish you could just left click to start again, so I could play without having my left hand always hovering over the spacebar.

Maaseru

Banned
What is the consensus on Deadlight? It kinda looks like some -vania type sidescroller. Am I right? Is it good?

And Company of Heroes? Never played a game like that in that setting but the metacritic score is in the 90s which is great.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I... think? If there's a difference between panic/anxiety attacks I don't know of it.

Thanks! Yeah I've had a history of mild panic attacks, but none that have ever sent me to the hospital. I mean damn!
Feel well man!
Get some good sleep and eat well over the next couple days, also plenty to drink!

Grief.exe

What are the chances of Far Cry 3 going lower than $23.99? Is it possible it can go back up during the sale?

I would recommend waiting on Far Cry 3. That price is a complete joke.

What is the consensus on Deadlight? It kinda looks like some -vania type sidescroller. Am I right? Is it good?

And Company of Heroes? Never played a game like that in that setting but the metacritic score is in the 90s which is great.

Deadlight is decent from what I've heard in this thread. Its definitely not a metroidvania though.

Company of Heroes is amazing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's not a Metroidvania, which, to me, is a tremendous missed opportunity. When the game was announced, I was expecting a post-apocalyptic Shadow Complex, but alas.

Grief.exe

Is Sang-Froid good?

Here is Stumps impressions

Sang-froid -- one hour played: This is really cool, it's very hard to put into words. It's so Canadian. You play as one of two characters, brothers (I chose the lumberjack who wears plaid and has a beard, who incidentally is the Easy/Normal difficulty as opposed to the other brother who is the Hard difficulty). The story is that it's December 1858 (pre-Canada!), your sister was at the local Catholic (all good Quebecois stories are Catholic at heart, and this is explicitly so!) church when the cartoonishly corrupt and evil priest came onto her--she rejected her advances, and in the kefuffle the church got burned down. He blamed her for the situation and the town thinks she's a witch. He makes a deal with the devil to get the girl and sends packs of wolves and werewolves after you at your cabin. The game takes place over 20 or more nights.

The gameplay is divided into two main phases. First you have a planning phase. You see a top-down map of a fairly large area containing buildings. In this phase you can also go into town and buy items and gear or get blessings at the Convent. During the planning phase you see how many waves of enemies will come each night, where they will come from, and what kind of enemies they will be. Each wave has several groups of enemies coming from different locations. You need to set traps to deal with the enemies. Traps cost AP, which is limited. Some traps cost money, which is also limited. Later in the game you can voluntarily give up AP and get paid cash for doing so (this represents spending time chopping wood for sale at a lumber company). Traps include steel tooth wolf traps, pressure based spike traps, overhead nets containing rocks, bonfires that you can light for defensive purposes, bait meat, etc.

When you are ready, you start the night. You spawn in a viewpoint similar to Brutal Legend or Orcs Must Die. You have an axe and a gun. You can run and roll-dodge. All actions take stamina, which regenerates. When stamina is depleted, you become slow. Your gun is single-shot and must be manually reloaded and makes an ungodly amount of noise, so strategic use is key. Each attack you land builds up rage, which can be unleashed in the form of a powerful attack.

Enemies come in packs (YA DON'T SAY!)--each enemy has a "fear level", you do too. The enemy who is next to attack has an icon over his head so you can deal with him first. Fear levels steadily increase. When an enemy's fear level is higher than yours, it can attack. Getting closer raises fear levels. Too close and enemies can attack regardless of fear level. Yelling at enemies lowers their fear level but makes noise and attracts far-off enemies. Attacking lowers their fear level at the cost of your stamina. Bonfires greatly raise your fear level when you're near them.

You can consume items, including Canadian Whisky, to get a bonus. These cost money to buy.

The wolves attack your buildings. Damage to buildings reduces your rewards and I think leads to a game-over if they are destroyed. You have to defend multiple buildings, nowhere near each other, simultaneously and movement across the map is fairly slow so you should rely on traps to slow down or kill most enemies. You have an HP bar, which is depleted by being attacked--if you die, you lose. After a night you get experience, which can give you levelups. There's a full skill tree. You also see plot vignettes between the nights and get tutorials for new features. Everything you can do in the game has an optional tutorial video with a pleasant, older-sounding gentleman narrating.

Finally, the music is an enchanting mix of celtic folk with a fiddle, a bodhran, light guitar, etc and a sort of Jethro Tull heavy-folk-jazz vibe. There's a digeridoo in there somewhere. There's a splendid little version of Reel a Bouche, which is a traditional folk song sung in Canada. It's gorgeous to listen to. I hate when the load screens end and the music cuts off, I'd love to just listen to the OST on its own. The game assets are all unencrypted--WAV for the audio, WMV for the video, PNG for UI element backgrounds and stuff.

The game is a little rough around the edges, load times are pretty long, some of the English voice acting is Quebecois accented, it's not going to win any best looking awards, etc. But there's a lot of heart here and what I've played so far has been very enchanting to me. I recommend Sang-Froid at its flash deal price of $5.09, and I hope that when the next sale rolls around I'm not the only one here who has played it. This was an independent game made by a Quebecois author and a small team of 5-6 people, and it made it through Greenlight, so if you want to support the process and show that it can achieve good results and help independents, here's your test case.

I posted a dozen or so explanatory screenshots on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/screenshots/

I use colour grading on my monitor so some colours might not look right, I ran at 1680x1050 with default settings but turned up AA. I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 at 3.0 GHz, 8 gigs of ram, a 4850, and running off a 5400 RPM hard drive and I had no performance issues besides load times.

P.S. There's a known bug with tutorial movies where only the top half of the video renders. It's a Microsoft issue dealing with how W7 handles WMVs, not an issue with the game. Check the game's discussion page on Steam for solutions if you experience it.

cicero

Once I heard it was getting cards I played through and beat it. I found it to be a mediocre experience overall. The controls were not tight and led to my death numerous times through no fault of my own. I was looking for either suspense or a high degree of intense action, it had neither. I got it in the Amazon MS Bundle along with four other games for $5, I wouldn't personally recommend it for anything above the $1 average it cost me.

If you have a real love for zombies I might make an exception, just as long as you don't go into the purchase thinking it is going to be something amazing. It most certainly isn't...

Slacker

Company of Heroes is awesome if you like RTS games.

Deadlight consensus seems to be that it looks excellent but is just OK to play.

Ezra2680

Man, these threads move so fast, pretty much impossible to catch up on what I missed while sleeping. Anyways, what would you say are the chances of seeing some games today that haven't already been on sale 2 or 3 times during this sale?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Quick question: I'm going to install a new OS on my pc and I have to move all my games for backup. Is it really as easy as copying my steamapps folder to the backup destination? Also did a backup of my documents folder for other saves. After that just run steam, and I'm fine?

BibiMaghoo

I have £7.50 left. And it will be spent today!

Bully (if it wins) leaves me with a fiver. Hope something good comes out for the dailys or flash. This sale has been...interesting.

I have been sifting through the catalogue for fucking days. If this is what steam sales do to people, I may have to bow out in future.

Like, break my router bow out.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Quick question: I'm going to install a new OS on my pc and I have to move all my games for backup. Is it really as easy as copying my steamapps folder to the backup destination? Also did a backup of my documents folder for other saves. After that just run steam, and I'm fine?

Yep, that easy.

theytookourjobz

I have standard Civ 5 and want both expansions. Best bet to buy the Gold upgrade that's on sale for $10 now and buy BNW from Dunder? Or wait for Gold to get cheaper?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
By reading this you are now aware that there are 600 profile backgrounds available on Steam.

Double D

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is it safe to assume that the prices of Summer Sale cards will go up once they are no longer available?

Maaseru

Banned
It's not a Metroidvania, which, to me, is a tremendous missed opportunity. When the game was announced, I was expecting a post-apocalyptic Shadow Complex, but alas.
Oh too bad. Exactly my thoughts; saw it thought about Shadow Complex and related it to that game so it is a bit of dissapointment.

Also I'm thinking of buying FC3 Blood Dragon. Is 8.99 a good price and do I need the origonal game installed?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
600? Holy carp.

Well, technically less if you count this fiasco.

But yes, the Enhanced Steam database has 600 entries now - more backgrounds than are even available in the market.

BibiMaghoo

How's Payday The Heist's sp ? I don't know anyone who else wants to buy it and was wondering if it's worth buying just to play sp

Its a co op game through and through. Single player is just with bots. It is playable, and you will have a little fun with it, but miss the best bit of the game.

That being, playing on 145+ mode with a good team, and 100% having to plan out and work together to complete the level.

It is the best coop game I have ever played. Half my steam friend list is made up of people that were randoms playing the game. There is a little elitism to it at times, just because of the need to work together on higher settings, but it is truly great with a good team.

Don't worry about having people to play with, there are always active games, and you can host yourself if they are full. You really need to play this game with a team for it to be great. You will find some levels are actually impossible alone or with bots on higher settings.

600? Holy carp.

I giggled.

ki8wSeC.jpg

...and still waiting on Monaco. Come on steam!

Tecl0n

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is it safe to assume that the prices of Summer Sale cards will go up once they are no longer available?

"safe" no. A chance if somehow the 30k+ supply starts to drop yeah (since there should be no longer new ones created), otherwise no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom